Is Hollywood spending to much money on Blockbusters)? Should Hollowood learn to budget its movies better?

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Poll Is Hollywood spending to much money on Blockbusters)? Should Hollowood learn to budget its movies better? (19 votes)

Yes 42%
No 21%
Kind of. 37%

George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg talked about a possible implosion in the movie business, which doesn't seems likely to happen. But why even entertain the idea, when you could lower the budgets of all those mega blockbusters. Lowering them to the point that 400 million is considered a significant return. Lowering a films budget also, lowers the chance of a film becoming a box office bomb, that potentially could prove disastrous for struggling movie studios. Plus lowering a film budgets causes film makers to become more practical and as a result much more creative.

• 
jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Bump.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By thespideyguy

Everybody needs to learn how to budget.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

Depends on the movie. Superheroes always bring in at least 100 mil. Your big names anyways. They can afford that 150 - 200 mil risk. Then you have your After Earth, and Pacific Rim type movies they should really think about.

Then again, it's their money.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lykopis

Considering that lots of actors have it stipulated in their contract they take a portion of the revenue generated, I would think blockbuster films won't be coming to an end anytime soon.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By russellmania77

let directors do the work

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If it's really necessary, i.e. films like Superman, then big budgets are unavoidable if we want quality. But I don't really care for these extreme films that pop out of the blue like Pacific Rim, After Earth, 2012 & sh*t like that, it's boring. I don't know what's wrong with dialogue based films that's not three hours of complaining or have cyborg vampire killer machine aliens that take over the screen half way into the movie.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of wished Pacific Rim did better, Godzilla shouldn't have to hold up the Kaiju genre on his lonesome.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I kind of wished Pacific Rim did better, Godzilla shouldn't have to hold up the Kaiju genre on his lonesome.

The problem is Americans don't like the Kaiju Genre. The US's total box office percentage of Pacific Rim is a pitiful 28.3%. That's HORRID. Most of the time its 40-50%.

Furthermore outside of the genre...the movie isn't that great to begin with. All it has is cool action scenes - the story, script, most of the actors are all mediocre or very poor.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity said:

The problem is Americans don't like the Kaiju Genre. The US's total box office percentage of Pacific Rim is a pitiful 28.3%. That's HORRID. Most of the time its 40-50%.

Furthermore outside of the genre...the movie isn't that great to begin with. All it has is cool action scenes - the story, script, most of the actors are all mediocre or very poor.

Cloverfield did pretty well for itself and Idris Elba alone could do enough acting for a dozen movies.

Additionally, Transformers has been a box office megahit all three times and looks set to steal the show yet again, but of course Transformers has a brand name behind it and box office inertia.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@fallschirmjager said:

Cloverfield did pretty well for itself and Idris Elba alone could do enough acting for a dozen movies.

Additionally, Transformers has been a box office megahit all three times and looks set to steal the show yet again, but of course Transformers has a brand name behind it and box office inertia.

Cloverfield also had a 25 million dollar budget. Pacific Rim's was 190. And I said most - not all. Elba was good but that was about it - imo. Charlie and Pearlman were OK, but honestly I felt like I was watching Jax fight monsters more than I was watching a new character. Everyone else was very forgetable imo.

And you pretty much said it yourself...Transformers is a brand name and is at least a partial American product. "Jaeger / Jäger " is a German term (I would know afterall :D), "Kaiju" is Japanese and the film largely took place in Hong Kong. There isn't much for the average US movie-goer to relate to.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just think Americans need to make better movies in general.

mkukie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said kind of. I think they just need to manage who they are getting to run the operation betteri(I.e. good directors/producers) and let the artist have more freedom in their pieces, instead of it mainly being about what the studio thinks is right. Hell we don't need a "blockbuster" to come out every week! Have patience on somethings