#1 Edited by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

You know I've skimmed around the net for a while now and when seeing people talk about Disney..they make it sound as if Disney isn't willing to do anything that's more "mature" for them or violent..however after watching films like Tron,Pirates of the Carribean,The Lone Ranger,and others I've started to ponder if they notice that Disney is becoming more darker over the years. What do you think?

I've seen some say that R rated comic films for ex would never get made while Disney owns Marvel(even though people should know that Disney owning them doesn't mean they control their creativity)..Yet after seeing such things as decapitation and such in some Disney's Pg-13 films I wouldn't be surprised if they did have some form of tie in to an R rated film. Yes I know Disney still makes family friendly films..but as to their others does it feel like Disney's changing over the years?

#2 Posted by Sylvain (1640 posts) - - Show Bio

Opinion Based!Disney sucks.

#3 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: The movies you listed as "dark" made me Lol.. Seriously go watch the Conjuring if you want to know DARK!!!

- Disney will always be a family friendly, jolly house for movies. They were built that way and they always will be that way.

#4 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11024 posts) - - Show Bio

The world is getting darker!!!!

#5 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Disney has always played it smart when it comes to their movies. They can make them for a mature audience, while also making them family friendly. People think they'll ruin Star Wars, but I strongly disagree.

#6 Posted by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney has some awesome creative people working for them, and then some dumb as dirty executive producer pisses all over it......... "you know what this movie needs? Someone's butt on fire or someone's butt getting bit by a dog, or someone's butt getting poked with something sharp."

#7 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney can appeal to any age more or less, but 5 and lower shells out the most cash.

#8 Posted by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: The movies you listed as "dark" made me Lol.. Seriously go watch the Conjuring if you want to know DARK!!!

- Disney will always be a family friendly, jolly house for movies. They were built that way and they always will be that way.

What a dumb comment..that's not what I meant by dark. I meant for ex with Lone Ranger..you've got two guys getting decapitated and a guy getting his heart cut out..The tone of violence is increasing with each of their films is what I was implying

#9 Edited by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

No. Disney has always played it smart when it comes to their movies. They can make them for a mature audience, while also making them family friendly. People think they'll ruin Star Wars, but I strongly disagree.

#10 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to point out that you can briefly see Tarzan's dead parents in Disney's Tarzan with blood surrounding them. And also this:

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29505 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney has always known when to go dark and when not to go dark. Some material requires it, some doesn't.

#12 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7035 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a difference between Disney Animated and Disney regular films.

#13 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: I saw The $hit Ranger too, nothing spooky about it bro, don't fool yourself into thinking its scary.

I don't mean to be rude but, I've seen 300, Human centipede, 3 guys - 1 hammer (real life killing) , All the Saws,

- Movies that would make you stand on your bed and have the lights on all night.

#14 Posted by Black_Claw (2997 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to point out that you can briefly see Tarzan's dead parents in Disney's Tarzan with blood surrounding them. And also this:

Don't forget that some of their villains died by:

Getting run over by a train (Oliver and Company)

Getting impaled and struck by lightning at the same time (Little Mermaid)

Getting eaten alive by Hyenas (Lion King)

Being dragged to hell by voodoo demons (princess and the frog)

Hanging themselves (Tarzan)

Being sucked into a jet engine (Incredibles)

Being blown up by fireworks (Mulan)

Getting stabbed by a magic sword to the chest (Sleeping Beauty)

#15 Posted by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: I saw The $hit Ranger too, nothing spooky about it bro, don't fool yourself into thinking its scary.

I don't mean to be rude but, I've seen 300, Human centipede, 3 guys - 1 hammer (real life killing) , All the Saws,

- Movies that would make you stand on your bed and have the lights on all night.

You're thinking of Dark=horror when that is not what I'm implying. Dark as in more mature and violent..I wasn't saying that Disney's becoming "spooky." I'm merely saying that it seems to be them getting more mature in their content

#16 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing that dude hang himself Tarzan is even more clear...

#17 Edited by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

You found 300 and Human Centipede scary? And the Saw movies? Hmm....

#18 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney has always been making what you call "dark" films over the years. But I don't think they will ever go past a pg-13 rating

#19 Edited by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: Mature means not friendly for rug rats, because of Cussing, violence, and yes. But I just listed some lowballing ones more graphic than The Lone Power-ranger.

- For saying Saw is not as messed up or actually MORE messed up than Disney sparkles, than you fell for Tinker Bell's spell my friend.

I didn't say scary, but I already list the Conjuring for you.

- StarWars is gonna be silly too FYI

#20 Edited by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

As we most of us learn there a lot of dark stuff that we have overlooked.

Looking at the live action TV series there is something cynical at work. Then again child actors are walking cataclysm waiting to happen. It could be this generation is not welcoming to the cartoon Disney characters.

I am unsure how to rate the animated series. It is a dozy to figure out.

#21 Posted by ARMIV2 (8592 posts) - - Show Bio

@crimsoncake said:

Don't forget that some of their villains died by:

Getting run over by a train (Oliver and Company)

Getting impaled and struck by lightning at the same time (Little Mermaid)

Getting eaten alive by Hyenas (Lion King)

Being dragged to hell by voodoo demons (princess and the frog)

Hanging themselves (Tarzan)

Being sucked into a jet engine (Incredibles)

Being blown up by fireworks (Mulan)

Getting stabbed by a magic sword to the chest (Sleeping Beauty)

And not to mention getting crushed by a boulder after falling off a cliff (Snow White)

Falling into a sea of fire (Hunchback of Notre Dame)

Falling into a spiky chasm (Beauty and the Beast)

Melting while screaming in high-pitched agony (Who Framed Roger Rabbit)

Falling from a waterfall then having crocodiles swim towards them (The Rescuers Down Under)

#22 Posted by Nefarious (20653 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to the dark side.

#23 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14747 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to the dark side of the moon

#24 Posted by King Saturn (224286 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney is getting that Paper !

#25 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney is a large company and entertainment is entertainment. In the beginning, it fostered a lot of creativity which wasn't geared to only the younger set (or the young child in everyone). I don't see it as getting darker as it is a reflection of what the consumer base wants. They have focus groups for everything they do -- they don't put out anything to the general public without having some idea of how it will be received. Not usually anyway and even then, some decisions can be wrong.

There is huge money to be made with children -- parents today spend a lot more on their kids than the parents before them and I would hazard a guess it's because they are living vicariously through their children.

Like all things offered in entertainment, pay attention to the rating and decide for yourself if something is worth watching or participating in. For me, it would be great to see Disney return to its roots of being a pioneer in all things visually artistic and in bringing realism into its films, is in a way, being responsible. So, not so much darker but a dropping of the gauze used to make things less realistic in terms of what war and conflict really is.

I can't wait for more films along those lines.

#26 Edited by The_Titan_Lord (5848 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.

#27 Posted by Nefarious (20653 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree

order 66 jedi genocide = disney

absolute carnage = disney

mephisto and other satan stand in = disney

#29 Posted by w0nd (3524 posts) - - Show Bio

disney owns a bunch of studios that create r rated movies or horror movies. People are just ignorant and and don't investigate before opening their mouths.

#30 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Early on, Disney had a pretty well-developed dark streak. Ever see "Night on Bald Mountain?"

#31 Edited by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

Disneys more famous movies (and it's most profitable ones) are coincidentally te darkest ones(I am not including the "joint" efforts of Disney Pixar.)

As many have stated, its movies in the 1990s have many dark scenes, especially the lion king and the hunchback of notre dame. Disney knows how to incorporate dark and light elements within its movies (or at least knew how to) so as to appeal to older and younger audiences.

#32 Posted by Koyaan (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney is defined as being a family oriented.

#33 Edited by BadVoodoo (381 posts) - - Show Bio
@koyaan said:

And this is why Starwars will suck by the time Disney's done with them. And i just found out Disney owned Marvel, dam thats rough.

#34 Edited by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@koyaan said:

And this is why Starwars will suck by the time Disney's done with them. And i just found out Disney owned Marvel, dam thats rough.

Disney owning Marvel has never affected their creative output. Disney doesn't do anything about what Marvel puts out..if Marvel were to reboot Ghost Rider and The Punisher and make them both rated R then they would be able to because Disney owning them doesn't mean they can tell them no. Disney owning Marvel means they're able to do things like add Marvel into Kingdom hearts if they wanted for ex

#35 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

CHERNABOG.

Nuff said.

#36 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22661 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney is not getting anymore dark than they always had been.

#37 Posted by doctor_bong_crosby (98 posts) - - Show Bio

I forget. What was Captain Hook´s fate...? Did the crocodile get him in the end...?

#38 Edited by JediXMan (30709 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. Disney was dark at one time, though.

#39 Posted by Outside_85 (9212 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't call it dark, just less 1930'ties. Also evident in how women can now be the central characters and still be capable rather than damsels.

#40 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney owns about half the entertainment industry at this point and while they rarely put anything too dark under their main banner only an idiot thinks they don't know full well of the things that their subsidiaries are doing. Also they own Miramax at the time when it was producing almost exclusively R rated movies such as Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

#41 Edited by Black_Claw (2997 posts) - - Show Bio

I forget. What was Captain Hook´s fate...? Did the crocodile get him in the end...?

No. He lived or else he wouldn't appear in the (terrible) sequel.

#42 Posted by ImmortalOne (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

@cybrilious4 said:

#43 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course Disney has R rated movies. They just publish those under different labels within the Walt Disney company as to not tarnish the name. The kids stuff goes to Walt Disney. The r rated stuff goes to their other labels like Touchstone, Hollywood pictures, and Miramax.

Ever heard of Kill bill or pulp fiction. That's owned by Disney.

#44 Posted by LimpoyzLoan (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney has always been dark:

#45 Posted by cameron83 (7421 posts) - - Show Bio

agreed. Which is one of the reasons I dislike them...