Is Celine Dion the greatest Canadian in Canadian history?

• 94 results
Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By Bruxae

I've never met anyone who doesn't know Wayne Gretzky before, but Celine Dion is probably the most well known Canadian overall even if she is not a personal favorite.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@penderor said:

@jhazzroucher: If I wouldnt wanted to know name of singer from Titanic, I wouldnt even know who is she.

So you wondered who sang the titanic soundtrack. Is it because of the movie, the song, the singer's voice, combination of song and voice, or all?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

I've never met anyone who doesn't know Wayne Gretzky before, but Celine Dion is probably the most well known Canadian overall even if she is not a personal favorite.

I'm actually wondering why people don't like her. Is it her personality? Her songs? Her voice?

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Bruxae

@bruxae said:

I'm actually wondering why people don't like her. Is it her personality? Her songs? Her voice?

I have no idea honestly, I think she's pretty good.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@bruxae said:

I have no idea honestly, I think she's pretty good.

Her voice is powerful and beautiful.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to add, Celine Dion's french album "D'eux" is the best selling french album of all time selling more than 10 million copies worldwide. It is also the best-selling album ( including english albums) of all time in France for selling more than 4 million copies in their country alone.

The second best-selling french album of all time is also from Celine Dion entitled "S'il suffisait d'aimer" selling more than 4 million copies.

Adding this info to the first post.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jhazzroucher: I wanted to know if its a person I know and my mother told me once her name is Celine Dion. Not to mention that namees pops out every time i type this song in youtube. Honestly, every singer is doing his/her best when they have to sing for Hollywood, no matter if their bad or good.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor said:

@jhazzroucher: I wanted to know if its a person I know and my mother told me once her name is Celine Dion. Not to mention that namees pops out every time i type this song in youtube. Honestly, every singer is doing his/her best when they have to sing for Hollywood, no matter if their bad or good.

I see. From which country are you if it's ok to ask?

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Middle Europe, Czech Rep...King... I dont really know what we are.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By jhazzroucher

@penderor said:

@jhazzroucher: Middle Europe, Czech Rep...King... I dont really know what we are.

Wow! I think Celine Dion really became very known worldwide because of the Titanic song because it went to top of the charts around the world. I also remembered that it was the only english song that entered a certain music chart and went to number 1. My heart Will Go On is Celine's signature song.

I'm not really a big fan of the song. My favorite will always be "It's All Coming back To Me Now" which I had hoped to become her signeture song. I'm njto sure if you've heard it but it's worth checking it out so you would know why I like it a lot.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8fHNdrZTSI

Loading Video...

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: It isnt bad, but its quite repepetitive without any strong parts. I prefer songs similar to these:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I also like E-rotic band. They might have wanton text, but the way their songs are sung and written is quite good. I dont really have favorite singer. I hold the opinion that most of stars have one or two masterpieces in their category and rest is just average or junk (at least compared to these top songs).

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jhazzroucher

@penderor said:

@jhazzroucher: It isnt bad, but its quite repepetitive without any strong parts. I prefer songs similar to these:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I also like E-rotic band. They might have wanton text, but the way their songs are sung and written is quite good. I dont really have favorite singer. I hold the opinion that most of stars have one or two masterpieces in their category and rest is just average or junk (at least compared to these top songs).

I also like this song. I love their song "Vulnerable" more.

I like the song It's All Coming Back To Me Now" because of the arrangement" that I wish I was the one who composed this song. I also love the lyrics and Celine's voice is perfect for the song. Loving the video too.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: I mostly dont watch these videos. I came to hear a song not to watch someone. If I want to watch someone I use a movie for it.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#65 BumpyBoo  Moderator

OP, don't listen to anyone who tells you you're wrong to like what you do, or to like it as much as you do. It's not my thing, but hey, it wouldn't do for us all to like the same stuff :)

On topic, my fave Canadian is still David Cronenberg.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bill Shatner is amused by your lack of education on Canada
Bill Shatner is amused by your lack of education on Canada

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of all the names mentioned, I think Jim Carrey comes close. Only that, I don't think a lot of people who knows Jim knows that he is Canadian. I knew Jim but didn't know that he was Canadian before. Unlike Celine Dion, most people know that she is from Canada.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By jhazzroucher

I won't blame you for choosing him as he is the Canadian with the most followers on Twitter and I think Facebook too and most viewed music video for a canadian in youtube.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Coming back to this, it's the title of the thread that invites ridicule. It's presented as the greatest Canadian, not greatest entertainer.

Butthurt Canadian, out.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is she still making music? I thought she was like 65, surprised by the fact that google says she's 47..

Nonetheless she's a pretty good singer, but I wouldn't say greatest Canadian..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer is Robin Daggers......she created grunge music

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is she still making music? I thought she was like 65, surprised by the fact that google says she's 47..

Nonetheless she's a pretty good singer, but I wouldn't say greatest Canadian..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Her last album was released on September 2013 "Loved Me Back To Life". The album may have not generated hit songs but it sold more than 1.3 million copies ( that's albums sales not single sales ).

She' still doing shows at Las Vegas.

I firmly believe that she will release another french album (this year or next year) first before she releases another english album.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

s1ckb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope......She's just a entertainer. There are people that made much bigger contributions from Canada than she ever dreamed of.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By jhazzroucher

@s1ckb0y said:

Nope......She's just a entertainer. There are people that made much bigger contributions from Canada than she ever dreamed of.

Who and what?

Aside from influencing a lot of singers, Celine is credited for introducing french music to many non-french-speaking countries worldwide. She was given the highest award from France even if she's Canadian. She also revolutionize the entertainment in Las Vegas.

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised the title of this post is not "Is Storm the greatest anything in history?"...

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SilverPool

Ryan Rynolds......... abs are the greatest Canadians.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canada's population is almost 36 million.

Celine Dion's album sales ( and i mean number of albums sold, not including single sales ): 175 million. What a feat!

Celine can usually sell more than 200,000 albums in her own country, Canada

Celine can usually sell more than 1 million copies worldwide for every album that she makes.

She may not write her own songs but whose perfumes/fragrances ( Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celine_Dion_Parfums ) has been selling well? Whose show has always been selling well in Las Vegas? Celine is dubbed the Queen of Vegas. Because of her successful Las Vegas shows, a lot of popular celebrities decided to have their vegas residencies too like Elton John, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, etc.

_Nox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By _Nox_

Nickelback is better.

jk, Justin is the greatest Canadian that ever Camadianed.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Ted Cruz...

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

According to recent nation-wide poll in advance of the country's 150th birthday, Canadians voted former Liberal Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau the "Greatest Canadian".

Of those who made it into the top ten, Celine Dion did not appear, Wayne Gretzky did.

The true Major Mapleleaf, eh.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to recent nation-wide poll in advance of the country's 150th birthday, Canadians voted former Liberal Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau the "Greatest Canadian".

Of those who made it into the top ten, Celine Dion did not appear, Wayne Gretzky did.

I knew that information but Celine has more achievements than him.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: In what universe is any accolade to do with singing a greater achievement than becoming head of state?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By jhazzroucher

@black_wreath said:

@jhazzroucher: In what universe is any accolade to do with singing a greater achievement than becoming head of state?

Celine isn't just singing. Check her achievements. What she has successfully done is a worldwide achievement.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath said:

Celine isn't just singing. Check her achievements. What she has successfully done is a worldwide achievement.

At no point was she responsible for the second-largest country in the world and successfully ran it, she's just an over-paid singer.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought Justin Bieber was supposed to be the best that Canada had to offer the world.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:
@black_wreath said:

At no point was she responsible for the second-largest country in the world and successfully ran it, she's just an over-paid singer.

Canada is the second largest country but how come it's nowhere near to second most powerful country? Canada is not making a lot of headlines on other parts of the world. But who made Canada to be always mentioned on other parts of the world? Isn't it because of Celine? Who made the french language more popular? Wasn't it Celine?

I always thought Justin Bieber was supposed to be the best that Canada had to offer the world.

I think Avril Lavigne is the second best-selling Canadian artist. But Justin is the canadian with the most followers on Twitter and probably on FB too and most viewed video from a canadian music artist

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath said:
@jhazzroucher said:
@black_wreath said:

Canada is the second largest country but how come it's nowhere near to second most powerful country? Canada is not making a lot of headlines on other parts of the world. But who made Canada to be always mentioned on other parts of the world? Isn't it because of Celine? Who made the french language more popular? Wasn't it Celine?

Canada is home to 35 million people over an incredibly large mass of land. It is one of the largest economies in the world and has become one of the wealthiest nations on Earth. It is known world-wide as a well-run highly respected country with one of the highest measurements of education, literacy, healthcare and overall quality of life. Managing that is an unbelievable achievement. Some whats-her-name singer can't compare in any sane comparison.

No. I can assure you whats-her-name had little if nothing to do with the popularization of la langue française.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No no no. everyone knows that Pamela Anderson is the best thing to come out of Canada.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher said:
@black_wreath said:
@jhazzroucher said:
@black_wreath said:

Canada is home to 35 million people over an incredibly large mass of land. It is one of the largest economies in the world and has become one of the wealthiest nations on Earth. It is known world-wide as a well-run highly respected country with one of the highest measurements of education, literacy, healthcare and overall quality of life. Managing that is an unbelievable achievement. Some whats-her-name singer can't compare in any sane comparison.

No. I can assure you whats-her-name had little if nothing to do with the popularization of la langue française.

The wealthiness of Canada is not being ran by one person. Canada is known worldwide and definitely Celine was one of those people who made Canada more known.

I learned a few french because of Celine. and once again Celine's french albums sold on other non-french speaking countries.

I don't think a leader has influenced all the 35 million canadians but definitely with 2 english albums each selling more than 30 million copies ( those are not single sales but album sales), Celine has influence more people. And again, she has sold more than 175 million albums worldwide, compare that to the canadian population.

She's not an overpaid singer because she's very popular (especially in the 90s).

She wouldn't be dubbed as the queen of Vegas nor as a Savior of Las Vegas if not of her sold out shows and seen by more than 3 million people. Celine made Las Vegas a better place for entertainment that's why Elton John, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey and others have decided to follow Celine's footsteps too.

And Celine Dion's perfumes have really sold well worldwide too.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gotta be Wayne Gretzky... he may not be as popular overall as Celine Dion... but he literally lifted the NHL on his back and made it more marketable and commercial to the United States on the basis of his dominance in the sport.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gotta be Wayne Gretzky... he may not be as popular overall as Celine Dion... but he literally lifted the NHL on his back and made it more marketable and commercial to the United States on the basis of his dominance in the sport.

I agree with you and Celine Dion too.