#1 Edited by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

i have to say i cant even name one boxer fighting right now and i rarely hear people talk about it.

comparing today to Muhammad alis time leads me to think boxing is dead or dying

what do you think?

bounes question

ali vs marciano vs tyson

#2 Posted by JediXMan (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because a lot of people want increased violence.

Cue UFC.

#4 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Mayweather? Manny?

Their PPV's seem to rack up the money still so I don't think it's dead.

#5 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

More or less yep.

The heavy weight champs aren't even culturally relevant. Just big Russians.

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (83261 posts) - - Show Bio

Boxing, for most practical purposes, is dead. MMA has supplanted it.

As for your other query:

Ali would beat both Marciano and Tyson. Marciano would beat Tyson. Tyson wouldn't beat either one.

#7 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

the reason i was thinking about it is because my gym had a sort of mini boxing tournament and i signed up .

so far a guy about 5 inches shorter than me and about 40 pounds light beat my ass in sparing, my trainer says i need to work on my speed and punching form...i can lift waaaay more than any of the guys im sparing with, and i can run really fast (forgot my 100 M time)

i don't know what im missing

#8 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio

the reason i was thinking about it is because my gym had a sort of mini boxing tournament and i signed up .

so far a guy about 5 inches shorter than me and about 40 pounds light beat my ass in sparing, my trainer says i need to work on my speed and punching form...i can lift waaaay more than any of the guys im sparing with, and i can run really fast (forgot my 100 M time)

....You're missing what you're coach said. You need to focus on accuracy, reaction speed, form, and agility. You can lift twice the guy across the ring and run a mile in half a minute less than the guy across from, but if you have a glass jaw and don't even have the accuracy and speed to land a proper punch, you're getting beat.

#9 Posted by SOG7dc (6987 posts) - - Show Bio

i have to say i cant even name one boxer fighting right now and i rarely hear people talk about it.

comparing today to Muhammad alis time leads me to think boxing is dead or dying

what do you think?

bounes question

ali vs marciano vs tyson

sadly people don't appreciate the awesome sport that it is. this due mainly to the fact that there is no policing it. theres no nfl or nba to regulate and police it. like when timothy Bradley beat pacqiaou. that's like the lakers scoring 100 and the heat scoring 60 and the heat being declared the winner. but make no mistake boxing is a GREAT sport and there are GREAT fighters out there: Flloyd Manny Canelo Victor just to name a few. but people like ufc for some reason. maybe I haven't watched enough but it just looks like brawling to me. I know theres a ton of skill and training and prep required but I just don't have the eye for it. im more of a boxing fan.. but to answer your questions more directly:

nothing will ever compare to ALis days. boxing was arguably THE most popular sport on the planet at that time and Ali was probably THE most famous person at that time

Ali bro. he actually was the greatest lol the one time in sports an athletes nickname wasn't hyperbole

#10 Posted by SOG7dc (6987 posts) - - Show Bio

@innersuperman

spend time on the speed bag and buy a jump rope. work on footwork and proper punching form. a tip for all sports=everything starts at your feet.everything. a punch starts at your feet. get your footwork,conditioning, and handspeed right and your good to go

#11 Edited by Jezer (3128 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao I'm sorry, but this reminds me of the battle threads where they're like

"Well, Green Lantern traverses the universe at faster than light speed. So he should have the speed to fight flash...."

Running fast and being strong =/= Being a good boxer or fighter for the same reason that flying an airplane doesn't give you 600mph punching speed.

But yeah, MMA has usurped Boxing for the most part.

#12 Posted by mikethekiller (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

punching technique, footwork, timing? Being strong and running fast is good and all but that doesn't necessarily translate into good boxing skill.

#13 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe in the US but not in other parts of the world. It is significantly weakened though.

Bonus Answer: Ali > Rocky = Tyson

#14 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

*bites off ear*

They just don't come that good anymore.