Is Boko Haram's threats of sexual slavery a crime against humanity?

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

By now most readers will have heard of the Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram's mass kidnapping of over 200 schoolgirls and subsequent threats to sell them off into forced marriage( that is sexual slavery).

The UN has publicly warned that this act may very well amount to a crime against humanity and thus if captured, the responsible members of Boko Haram(which means in Arabic "Western education is forbidden"- presumably for both boys and girls-but especially for the latter_ as it is "un-Islamic") may be turned over to the Hague based International Criminal Court(all right it didn't mention the ICC by name per se but the implication is strong).

Is "forcible marriage/sexual slavery" a crime against humanity? I think it is-or if not then at least it should be!

What do YOU think?

Terry

Thewhiteronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think their initial slaughter of 150 defenseless people on a busy market day in the name of Allah is a crime against humanity.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably but as the Nigerian government and courts seem to take the view that the matter can be dealt with internally- there seems to be no need for ICC involvement at least until now!

Terry

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SpitfirePanda

This group is running rampant and the Nigerians can't deal with it, no matter what they claim. The west needs to send in a strong coalition force to destroy this group and others like it.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe a day will come where all the people of the world will stop being tolerant and respectable about Islam I have Muslims friends and I'm not saying it's all Muslims however there is a stronghold section of Muslims who hate non Muslims living in London you see alt of stuff for example a teacher at a Muslim school in London was just arrested for being a hate preacher but guess what even though he tells children and lots of people in videoes and on the street to kill British people to join the jihad, he has freedom of speak so we can't do fuck all plus because of the UN got involved we can't send him out of the country because techniqually he's a refugee however this man doesn't work anymore so the government gave him a free house and 60 grand a year benefits because he has children yet he's preaching for the death of non Muslims I'm sorry but the religion is very backward

Thewhiteronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Thewhiteronin

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: First and foremost, I'm an atheist with a flexible mind when it comes to religion. I've met many staunch Muslims who claim that Islam is a religion of peace according to the Qu'ran. But I've seen, and so has the world, many concrete examples of Muslim intolerance of others from the extremists (The Westgate Kenyan Mall Shooting, Boston Marathon Incident, Muslim Filipino Insurgents fighting against the Filipino Army, and so many more incidents). There seems to be a mass misinterpretation of the Qu'ran of some sort that needs to be corrected.

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewhiteronin: tbh the fear I have if a jihad martyrs with a nuclear bomb that'll be the end of Islam I honestly think they need to start mass genocide of extremists for example not letting human rights get I. The way , as clearly the Taliban for example torture and kill mercilessly, there's not love lost in love and war, I feel they should stop policing the west and start cracking down on the east you really think Russia gives a fuck about the UN laws? The UN would never say anything to Russia yet they always call ion anything America or Britain do because we're more civilized it's like the good kid in school getting into loads of trouble because he knows better compared to the bad child who gets away with something all the time because he doesn't know better

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To answer the OP's main question.

Yeah. I don't think anyone would or really could debate that.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Wolverine008

Yeah.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@thewhiteronin: tbh the fear I have if a jihad martyrs with a nuclear bomb that'll be the end of Islam I honestly think they need to start mass genocide of extremists for example not letting human rights get I. The way , as clearly the Taliban for example torture and kill mercilessly, there's not love lost in love and war, I feel they should stop policing the west and start cracking down on the east you really think Russia gives a fuck about the UN laws? The UN would never say anything to Russia yet they always call ion anything America or Britain do because we're more civilized it's like the good kid in school getting into loads of trouble because he knows better compared to the bad child who gets away with something all the time because he doesn't know better

How do you propose to do that? do they have the word extremist written on their faces? the rising militancy in the Muslim world in a result of corruption,bad governance,gross exploitation,weak rulers,Army rule,mass exploitation,mass brainwashing by state machinery who allied themselves with radicals and gave them power to preserve their own interests,the civilized world is also responsible for all that to a considerable degree.

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: by showing extremist proper punishment if your from England you would of heard f lee rigby he was in the royal engineers (army) while walking around London ( off duty just normal person) two Muslims ran up beheaded him and stayed in the road with his head holding it preaching to people, they showed no remorse in court and even said what they did was good but because of human rights they only got 15-25 years in jail which I feel is no justice for these immoral scum

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. It's a filthy and disgusting thing they're doing and they're hiding behind religion as justification. It. Is. Wrong. People forget that the person that brought Islam to Nigeria in the 1800s, Shehu Usman Dan Fodio believed in education for women; his daughters were scholars. These Boko Haram fellows are just enterprising goat herders who realised that some sick f*cks in the world will pay higher for humans than for chevron.

And as a Nigerian girl, this really hits home for me. And the f*cking government can't handle it themselves. Don't know why they're pretending they can...

Just....arrrgh! I'm so frustrated.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By laflux

Yeah, Nigeria makes laws that Punish Homosexuality by 14 year Prison charges and yet displays complete apathy with this. As someone who is by descent, from Nigeria, it makes me sick.........

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

Yeah, Nigeria makes laws that Punish Homosexuality by 14 year Prison charges and yet displays complete apathy with this. As someone who is by descent, from Nigeria, it makes me sick.........

Niga swag......

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By frozen  Moderator
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: yeah but not by government never heard a western government omprison someone 15 years for a kiss on the beach

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frozen  Moderator
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: but that's the thing "if you look hard enough" you may be right but it is very very easy to find so many casses from the east, like you said you have to look thoroughly to find them from the west

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: It's not. They'll only report the bad things happening in the East, or if something outrageous happens, yet if that happens in the West, it gets casually pushed aside. The media is creating a siege mentality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. That whole section of the world has a lot of problems

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This section does too, I was just saying.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#22 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Of course it is. I dunno, I don't wanna sound preachy or anything but I think that any country that has the ability to help has a moral obligation to do so. I'm British, and if that many of our white girls were abducted? Like can you imagine the uproar??? The world would not rest until something was done.

I don't know if anyone here has been abducted or abused but....it's a forever thing, dammit those poor kids are going through things that most people are fortunate to never have to deal with. Every minute they are away from their families, every minute they are abused and cheapened and sold and degraded, every minute their mothers are paralysed with fear, unable to think of anything other than what might be happening, and whether they will see their kids again...it is hell. It is a living hell and no one should ever have to endure this.

I just hope that those responsible get what is coming to them. It is so sick that anyone could treat other people this way, and not a day has gone by that I don't hope they will come home safe V__V

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

How is this even a question? Of bloody course it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This isn't only about young girls being forced into marriages and as sexual slaves (second, third, fourth wives and so on.) It's also about young girls' right to education and groups like these who are circumventing and outright killing/abducting them for the "sin" of attaining knowledge.