#1 Posted by RBT (4120 posts) - - Show Bio

I always keep hearing that India is a pacifist nation. But what I'd like to know is, is that a good thing or bad thing. For world's sake and for nation's sake.

#2 Posted by consolemaster001 (4976 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad

#3 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17603 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really a good or an ideal thing considering the world we live in.

#4 Edited by Reactor (2404 posts) - - Show Bio

This. The most dangerous thing about pacifism is not the concept itself, it's others who hold no regard for the concept. It almost invites harm to you.

#5 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15277 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be a terrible policy for the US to adapt. A large part of our economy relies on our military. Like it or not, we have a lot military-industrial concepts in use in our country.

#6 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10368 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

I always keep hearing that India is a pacifist nation. But what I'd like to know is, is that a good thing or bad thing. For world's sake and for nation's sake.

We live in a violent world. For them culturally that's good, but as mentioned before it's not a great idea in the world at large.

#7 Posted by Wolverine08 (38878 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly, this.

#8 Posted by Edamame (27987 posts) - - Show Bio

That depends on your criteria. This also reminds me of the United States before the Pearl Harbor incident in 1941.

#9 Edited by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

A bad thing.

#10 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

I DUNNO............................................................

#11 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5519 posts) - - Show Bio

You want to know what happened to the last pacifist nation?

It was burned to the ground by the Fire Nation! Learn from their mistakes!

#12 Edited by WarBlade539 (4498 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

Pacifist doesn't mean won't defend itself in a war. I am an Indian and I'm sorry to say this but my country's leaders are hypocrites. Nothing but Hypocrites.

#13 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad thing. Just makes you an open target for violent countries.

#14 Edited by Deadite (21077 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a certain band of nations shouldn't be pacifists if they want certain nation's civilians to agree to an un-pacifist decision. There, it's the second thread that's just circling the same hot issue.

#15 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (16131 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadite: Question is, isn't some of the nations being pacifists a good thing for world's health? I mean, if India were to start replying to every border crossfire and intrusions, it could easily escalate into a war.. Someone has to endure a little to keep peace. Though it annoys me, I'd say it's a good thing..

#16 Posted by HumanRocket (7523 posts) - - Show Bio

Hearing the word pacifist makes me remember the Gundam Wing series.

#17 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

Both good and Bad I guess.

You have to be always read to blow the bastard to hell when his being an ass.

#18 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10368 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be a terrible policy for the US to adapt. A large part of our economy relies on our military. Like it or not, we have a lot military-industrial concepts in use in our country.

We also created too many of our own enemies.

#19 Posted by teddy_the_god_killer (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: It's easy to be a 'pacifist nation' when you have nuclear weapons. And where is your source from? India has been in many wars.

Dominion/Republic of India (1947–Present)

StartName of ConflictOpponent(s)
1947First Indo-Pakistani War Pakistan
1948Operation Polo Hyderabad
1961Invasion of Goa Portugal
1962Sino-Indian War China
1965Second Indo-Pakistani War Pakistan
1971Third Indo-Pakistani War Pakistan
1984Operation Blue Star
1987Indian intervention in Sri Lanka Tamil Tigers
1988Operation Cactus PLOTE
1999Kargil War Pakistan

And that is just from wiki. Even with no 'real' conflicts since 1999 does 14 years constitute pacifism? Also a country can conduct military exploits via a proxy. Just look at the US and UK, fight a war yourself when you can get someone else to do it. Read up on true pacifism and you will find there are no countries that can say they are pacifists. Like all -isms they are rhetorical theory unable to survive in a human society.

#20 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15277 posts) - - Show Bio

@nelomaxwell said:

@fallschirmjager said:

We also created too many of our own enemies.

Well. That is a separate issue. The US could most certainly take a more defensive position when it comes to our military instead of the very interventionism that is currently in practice. Fact of the matter is, despite how much one country may dislikes us...there is not a whole lot they could do to harm us from a military perspective. We're protected by oceans on either side of our country and no in the the American continents wants to, or has the means to fight us even if they wanted to.

So while the US could benefit from becoming a more defensive stance on its policies...it would be foolish to start implementing huge budget cuts to the military outright and become pacifist. We rely on military technologies for advancement and make a shit ton of money off the things we produce and develop.

See what I mean?

#21 Edited by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

there's no such thing as being a pacifist humans are a war like race always have been always will be

#22 Posted by ARMIV2 (8290 posts) - - Show Bio

It is good to want to keep peace. It is something to strive for. But a country that doesn't make some kind of plan for war is a country that doesn't last.

#23 Posted by Dabee (2380 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on how many people hate them. Some countries can be pacifist, because they don't have anyone trying to take them out. Countries like Israel, however, are surrounded by countries that want nothing but their complete obliteration. Israel simply can't be a pacifist nation, because if they were, they'd be annihilated. Simple as that.