• 93 results
#1 Posted by GoldenStar66 (648 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think it is?

#2 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25198 posts) - - Show Bio

Well,well,well, If it isn't another religion thread.

#3 Posted by BigCimmerian (8400 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, because Odin and Zeus love wars.

#4 Edited by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio

South Park can answer that.

#5 Posted by King Saturn (224290 posts) - - Show Bio

There is nothing attached to Atheism... so I would say yes. Atheism is just disbelief in claims about God. It unto itself has no external affect on the world.

#6 Posted by Wolverine08 (42846 posts) - - Show Bio

You're making a conscientious effort to make threads with contentious topics, aren't you?

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (12830 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, stahp

#8 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (937 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought atheism isn't a religion o.O. If i'm wrong, by all means please correct me!!! ^_^

Imo, religion in general is not peaceful... i'm a moderate muslim (and yes i cop a few criticisms which i honestly understand), but my philosophy is that it's better (FOR ME) to have a religion in life than having none, even a tiny little bit is good enough. I just find that having a piece of islam keeps me balanced, while at the same time i try having pieces of other values, since i find it satisfyingly peaceful.

HAVE A G'DAY SIR!

#9 Posted by GoldenStar66 (648 posts) - - Show Bio

You're making a conscientious effort to make threads with contentious topics, aren't you?

No way.

#10 Edited by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio

You misunderstand, atheism is not a religion. There are however doctrines which are atheistic in nature. For example Taoism. Taoism can be considered an atheistic doctrine.

#11 Posted by DarkDay (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Warning! This could be considered offensive. You have been warned.

The dark side of human nature, this is it. Everything else tends to be excuses in my opinion.

#12 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29505 posts) - - Show Bio

People will always try to kill each other, religion or not.

#13 Edited by Outside_85 (9214 posts) - - Show Bio

For one thing it's not particularly organized, secondly it doesn't have pieces of paper to refer to as a reason to start a fight.

It's not really comparable, but at the bottom of it all; yes.

#14 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, this is why World War 1 lasted a week and was over after everyone just realised it was a big misunderstanding.

#15 Posted by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, people fight for social, political and economic reasons

#16 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18194 posts) - - Show Bio

Well atheism is simply a disbelief in god and gods. That is it. It has no ideologies or dogma attached.

So is atheism itself more peaceful than religion? Well I guess so but it is simply a lack of belief in gods that is it.

It may and does result in people who are atheists to find and form their own views free from religious ideology and dogma.

#17 Posted by GREGalicious (476 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably YES. There's little to no expectation in Atheism so yes it seems to be more peaceful.

#18 Posted by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been labeled as an "atheist" because I understand that there are no such thing as deities. I'm a rather peaceful person and I generally don't bother trying to convince people to be on my same wavelength; I just live my life as I usually do and unless I'm reading a topic about it I don't even give thought to things like this as it doesn't affect my life in any way, shape, or form. There are however people that are simply vehement in their quest to make everyone think the same as they do. This happens in every group and in every religion.

Most people by nature seek validation from others in order to strengthen their own beliefs or to elate their sense of self-worth, that is just human nature. Validation can come in many forms such as winning an argument, converting people, having strangers agree with you, etc. The more validation someone needs, then usually the more insistent the individual. There's also several political factors to be accounted for, but that's just another topic altogether.

To give a more concrete answer,

No, atheism isn't a more peaceful religion, as it is not a religion. And if it was, it'd be no more peaceful than any other. I'd also like to point out that individuals are the ones that have the capacity to be non-peaceful, not religions... for the most part anyway.

#19 Posted by frogdog (3252 posts) - - Show Bio

#20 Posted by Manchine (4173 posts) - - Show Bio

That was my first thought.

#21 Edited by consolemaster001 (5670 posts) - - Show Bio

ASDFGHJKL

#22 Posted by russellmania77 (15526 posts) - - Show Bio

rainbows and sunshine

#23 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

not when religious people are around

#24 Edited by Pokeysteve (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

Atheists don't start wars with people who share our beliefs. Religion is the number one cause of war after all.

We haven't set multiple people on fire for potentially being a witch.

And we don't look down on people who are attracted to the same gender.

Just a few reasons we are peaceful people.

#26 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22667 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what time its is?

#27 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18194 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear these were made to be used as a form of torture.

#28 Edited by Bogey (948 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes atheist are more peaceful if they are also not statist.

#29 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22667 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct said:

I swear these were made to be used as a form of torture.

I can watch it just fine on the backgroun >_>

#30 Posted by Lvenger (20274 posts) - - Show Bio

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in any gods or supernatural entities. So there aren't any scripture or particular beliefs atheists are attached to. And it's often been the case that religious fueled wars have been over a particular set of beliefs clashing with another. In that sense, it is more peaceful than religion though a lot of religious people today are peaceful. But for me, that's down to the person themselves, not their religion.

#31 Posted by SGU823 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey: No, Atheism is neither more peaceful nor violent than any religion as it is the simply the absence of the belief that deities exist. Since it does not have it's own set of doctrines or moral principles, saying atheist are more peaceful is like saying people who dislike chocolate are more peaceful than people who only enjoy chocolate.

Atheist, as group, tend to be more harsh, sarcastic and confrontational than say, Agnostics or Buddhist at least in my experience.

#32 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Edited by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Peacefulness depends on the person, not their religion. I have seen tons of atheists who spend a lot of time insulting the beliefs of others. I have also seen tons of religious people insulting atheists for their lack of belief. In the end, no way is your tranquility defined by your religion or lack religion, but by you as an individual. Things like religion and race don't make you more peaceful than the other

#34 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18194 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22667 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18194 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread needs millions of dollars

#38 Posted by Pyrogram (39547 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought atheism isn't a religion o.O. If i'm wrong, by all means please correct me!!! ^_^

Is Atheism more peaceful than religion?

#40 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering that despite what the religion critics like to say there have been far more wars fought over territory such as farmland and sea access for trade purposes than there have ever been over religious differences I'd say no, sure religion gets tossed around as an excuse alot but 9 times out of 10 so called "Religious" wars have been fought for the same reasons the non religious ones have been.

#41 Edited by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering that despite what the religion critics like to say there have been far more wars fought over territory such as farmland and sea access for trade purposes than there have ever been over religious differences I'd say no, sure religion gets tossed around as an excuse alot but 9 times out of 10 so called "Religious" wars have been fought for the same reasons the non religious ones have been.

Agreed. There is often political, social, economic and historic reasons and less religious

#42 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Peacefulness depends on the person, not their religion. I have seen tons of atheists who spend a lot of time insulting the beliefs of others. I have also seen tons of religious people insulting atheists for their lack of belief. In the end, no way is your tranquility defined by your religion or lack religion, but by you as an individual. Things like religion and race don't make you more peaceful than the other

#43 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5968 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

#44 Posted by lilben42 (2551 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the person.

#45 Edited by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17909 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously not..

#47 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

Stalin was an atheist, didn't stop him from causing all kinds of havoc, he probably killed more Jews and Gypsies than Hitler.

#48 Posted by heroesgold (608 posts) - - Show Bio

Well said bro, well said.

#49 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

Well said bro, well said.

Thank you

#50 Posted by Nefarious (20653 posts) - - Show Bio

Stalin was an atheist, didn't stop him from causing all kinds of havoc, he probably killed more Jews and Gypsies than Hitler.

Mao Zedong was a atheist, too. He caused a lot of havoc, as well.