#1 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23190 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been thinking about it for quite some time. God of War and Mortal Kombat gets a lot of attention for the violence, gore and sex in its games, and while I rarely hear any of the moral guardians complain about Assassin's Creed at all. Just realized most of the violence that takes place in AC, unlike in GOW, is more realistic, much less cartoony and somewhat possible to pull it instead of ripping a guy's face off with your own hands.

I mean compare these...

with these

Is it fair to compare these games' type of violence? Is Mortal Kombat/God of War more violent because of the unrealistic gore or Assassin's Creed more violent because of the realistic factor?

#2 Edited by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure I can't kill 5 guys in 5 seconds...or..tear someone apart...

But I love watch someone getting killed. >_>

#3 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23190 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure I can't kill 5 guys in 5 seconds...or..tear someone apart...

But I love watch someone getting killed. >_>

LMAO.

#4 Posted by AnyWhichWayButUp (760 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Than MK? No, that's the reason why we have game ratings. That GOW video wasn't to good since he's really just punching water in the face but I'd say AC knows how to pull off it's violence with more swiftness. If that makes sense.

#5 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@anywhichwaybutup: I agree, mk is arguably the most brutal, violent game today so ac is not even close. Some of the fatalities in mk 9 are flat out wrong..

Sidenote, violent games rock

Gow is also i believe more violent then ac, not saying ac series isnt violent but compared to games like mk and gow, its childs play. I

#6 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23190 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: True, MK is more violent on unrealistic, cartoony levels. The most goriest fatalities (like Noob Saibot's Make a Wish) would be nigh impossible to pull off. AC's counter kills on the other hand are more possible to pull off in a real fight... That is why I asked if being this realistic makes it more violent than MK or GOW;

#7 Posted by JohnnyGat (1573 posts) - - Show Bio

Realism or at least believable in context to our own reality or close to it does not make one thing more violent. Is AC violent yes, is it more violent than either MK or GoW? Definitely not because while AC's violence is violent in of itself the violence is not the driving factor. Mortal Kombat is a fighting game with the focus being on beating the other guy and if doing a fatality rubbing it in from the context of its story there are characters who's goal are rooted in violence. God of War is basically Kratos acting on his rage, violence is the intent he wants those he harms to suffer.

#8 Posted by MonsterStomp (19224 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Assassin's Creed I was the most brutal of its sequels just because of the intense yelling/groaning/grunting/gasping out loud and the spray of blood, and the initial reaction a foe makes as he sees his friend get slaughtered. Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Assassin's Creed III had some pretty brutal kills, the blood seemed more of a spillage rather than spray but the take downs look very brutal.

I'd agree that Assassin's Creed has more realistic violence but I wouldn't say it is more violent than Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat (2011) has an array of brutal X Ray moves and fatalities. I actually cringe more at the X Ray moves.

#9 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18376 posts) - - Show Bio

The Assassins Creed videos in the OP the violence seems standard violence in a video game. Not criticizing it I mean they look like they did a good job on the violence in the game its just that I think compared with Mortal Kombat where its known for its brutality Id say it is more violent and the violence in Mortal Kombat is not any less realistic in the way the gore is shown its just the way they are killed is not as realistic and is more fantastical.

And I know God of War has pretty good violence in it too. But the video in the OP is not the best example of it in my opinion.

Love MK 9 by the way.

#11 Posted by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

I like when Kratos bashes Hercules face in, thats probably one of the most visually disturbing scenes ive seen in a videogame recently.

Random sidenote: Did anyone play Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle Of Flesh back in the 90's?

#12 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: damn i accidentally deleted my post damn touch screen haha. But anyway was saying the older mks were no doubt cartoony looking at times but for the time period looked more real compared to some other games using digitized real actors.

However mk9 looks far more realistic and they went for the photorealistic tone i believe nrs said in a several interviews. Ac is more about stealthy kills no doubt.

But like monsterstomp stated, arent nearly as brutal gory or messed up as mk9s fatalities or xrays even. Mk was heavily banned in australia and germany for being too violent.

While mk is over the top st times, some of the fatalies were definitely realistic in mk9 like kabals belly slice, stab pull out intestines with his hookswords then you fall on it is rather disturbing lol or even kls saw fatality dragging a guy balls first through a cutter....man lol.

#13 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18376 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: damn i accidentally deleted my post damn touch screen haha. But anyway was saying the older mks were no doubt cartoony looking at times but for the time period looked more real compared to some other games using digitized real actors.

However mk9 looks far more realistic and they went for the photorealistic tone i believe nrs said in a several interviews. Ac is more about stealthy kills no doubt.

But like monsterstomp stated, arent nearly as brutal gory or messed up as mk9s fatalities or xrays even. Mk was heavily banned in australia and germany for being too violent.

While mk is over the top st times, some of the fatalies were definitely realistic in mk9 like kabals belly slice, stab pull out intestines with his hookswords then you fall on it is rather disturbing lol or even kls saw fatality dragging a guy balls first through a cutter....man lol.

They seem to have a knack for banning certain video games in Australia.

#14 Posted by Nefarious (21242 posts) - - Show Bio

No, those two games are WAY more violent. You can't compare AC to MK or GOW in the violent department. Noooooo.

#15 Posted by JediXMan (30898 posts) - - Show Bio

I think GoW and MK are much more violent.

Moderator Online
#16 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by MonsterStomp (19224 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it was released in Australia not too long ago actually, but we got the complete edition.

#18 Posted by Samimista (20821 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

I think GoW and MK are much more violent.

This.

#19 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18376 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: oh thats right, nrs wanted you guys to have it but due to aussy law at the time that sucks. Im happy you guys finally got it ;-)