Is anybody who speaks computer still up?

petlover1112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I have this idea for something that I want to exist, in my head everything is really clear but I don't know how to create it because i've never coded something in my life, and I've been trying to look for a template to just punch my idea into, but I don't know what I'm even looking for.

I want to be able to have a list of all the published comic/cartoon/movie characters and then let people fill out some information based on physical traits of these characters and get the list of characters with those physical traits, and then be able to slim the list down even more with more options, to be used for cosplay, is there any way I can create that without creating my own website completely, is there a template out there, or something like that?

Is there anybody out there who could talk to me about it and not just steal my idea. :D thanks

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2 JediXMan  Moderator

I'm going to need more info. Are you basically asking about how to make a Wiki page? Because, in theory, that's really easy.

Best thing I can think of is to make a table grid with the characters in it and the traits you want in columns at the top. Making it editable by anybody other than you is a little more difficult.

petlover1112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No not a table more like a something that people could enter their information and get personal response back that matches what they entered.

petlover1112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: sorry it's kinda hard to put into words, I don't even know if what I'm imagining even exists. But I want people to be able to put in the color of their hair, of their eyes, length of hair, body build. And be able to get a list of characters that they could easily cosplay as, because of their shared traits. could a wiki page do that?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: sorry it's kinda hard to put into words, I don't even know if what I'm imagining even exists. But I want people to be able to put in the color of their hair, of their eyes, length of hair, body build. And be able to get a list of characters that they could easily cosplay as, because of their shared traits. could a wiki page do that?

Ah. I understand what you mean now.

I honestly can't help with that. But I believe it is possible. It's a good idea, and I wish I could help; if you do figure it out, post what you did.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By willpayton

So you want to create a database, have people add data to it, and then query for results. So, that's all basic database stuff, the hard part is where to put it so that people can access and edit it and be able to submit their queries.

That's not really my area, but I bet someone who knows how to build websites can do this type of stuff pretty easily. They just need to create the database and the web frontend to display the data fields. Then people can just go to that site, edit, and query.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ok Computer

Shavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

so you want to become a t-800?

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Almost thought you meant if anyone here knows computer coding when I first saw the thread title.