Reginleif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Reginleif
No Caption Provided

Despite not being a national myself, I am very informed about the Yankees and the crisis they face; an increasingly corrupt and stagnant political system, deep social inequality, and a looming economic depression, things do not look well. Could things spiral to political fragmentation, violence, and irreparable economic damage?

pic related btw

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By KainScion

dont you already have political fragmentation?

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Might do the country some good to get rid of the stagnant morons who pull the strings, I know it would help things on over here.

blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By blur1528

If it did... I'd be f*cked.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AtPhantom

It's not going to collapse. All nations pass through periods of upheaval at times and US is no different. Nations are extremely durable entities. The current political system will sort itself out one way or another eventually, and until then the nation might suffer a bit over it but it's not going anywhere any time soon.

SyIar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SyIar

If the U.S were to collapse, it would effect most of the modern world.

Also... Yankee? That's only OK when we call ourselves that you

NINNYHAMMER

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HBKTimHBK

I try to be a very hopeful person when my country goes through hard times, but we've been worse off then this, and we will survive.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I think it's less likely for a nation to collapse now than it has been, historically. The whole idea of a global economy means that nations are more dependent than ever on one another, and a major disruption in one would affect most, if not all, of the others. That being said, we're in a mess now, yes. I don't think our system can continue to stumble forward indefinitely in its current state.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By PowerHerc

Time will tell.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
@AtPhantom said:

It's not going to collapse. All nations pass through periods of upheaval at times and US is no different. Nations are extremely durable entities. The current political system will sort itself out one way or another eventually, and until then the nation might suffer a bit over it but it's not going anywhere any time soon.

This. You Serbian Socrates. So wise.
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By John Valentine

@Lunacyde said:

@AtPhantom said:

Haha, approved.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
@aztek_the_lost said:

@AtPhantom said:

That sounds like an American notion, there's new nations popping up all the time and it's not because we're discovering them. If history suggests anything, America could very easily disappear just like every other nation before it.

Depends what you mean. Many nations have existed for thousands of years. They may go through phases, and change, but they still exist. 

The era of American dominance MAY be waning, but America is not going to violently collpse and be taken over by invading hordes. 

Also an American notion coming from a Serbian? How absurd.
Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@AtPhantom said:

Pretty much this. The United States will probably lose it's place as the figurehead of world politics but it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

@aztek_the_lost said:

@AtPhantom said:

That sounds like an American notion, there's new nations popping up all the time and it's not because we're discovering them. If history suggests anything, America could very easily disappear just like every other nation before it.

New nations spring up from hardly developed ones. Africa has been constantly shifting political boundaries for years because of war, disease, poverty and military regimes. The United States is in a remarkably different situation. It's too tied into the global economy at this point to wither without serious consequences to the rest of the world and more importantly multinationals. Americans consume like no other country on earth and it's in the best interest of virtually every producer out there to ensure our survival.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AtPhantom

@aztek_the_lost said:

I think you're confusing nations and states. States come and go, sure, but new nations, as in a group of people bound by a common identity, are far less common. Consider that most nations in Europe are at least a thousand years old. Over time they have oscillated between having their own states and being parts of others, but their national identity has remained strong. The French, for example, have went through five republics and two empires over the past 200 years, but they are still the same French and maintain absolute legal continuity between their states.

Likewise for America. It is a state comprised of people who consider themselves Americans and want to live in America, so they have no reason to pull from the center and cause a collapse, and America has no outside enemy which could facilitate it. American system will perhaps require a bit of a reboot eventually, even without that America will survive because it is a national state and its citizens have no desire to change it.

@Lunacyde said:

Oh come now. I consider myself an Aristotle at best. :P

Reginleif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Reginleif

@TheWitchingHour: To be fair though Africa's never ending gerrymandering lays in the problem that they almost entirely reflect colonial boundaries, not ethnic ones. Only a few African states represent historic states, Morocco, Mali, Egypt and only a few represent ethnic ones (Lesotho). I could see a division of the US based on North and South though...

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jeanlucpicard

Nope.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By _Zombie_

No. It's bad, but still far from the point of collapse.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vaeternus

America I'd trust would never truly collapse. As long as the people of America change it this November, we' should be ok.

However, it's not in the best shape economically, financially right now and there seems to be no harmony thru out the country but for good reason. I believe we need to go back to our roots. I don't agree remotely with the current way of America, it's not good at all. Vote out Obama, probably be a good start at this point.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

We need to dump the majority of Congress on it's ass, start laying the smackdown on the rich and powerful in regards to taxation, and start passing laws that ensure corporations and private interest parties can't infiltrate the government with lobbyists and essentially become the true rulers of the country.

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By CainPanell

@AtPhantom said:

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AtPhantom

@aztek_the_lost said:

@AtPhantom: Maybe the problem here is I think of the US as what you would call a state as opposed to a nation. The definitions of such terms don't mean anything to me but they are very clearly a group of people united by the fact that they share a border, not because they share common beliefs, background and culture because they don't.

On second look I think I could have worded my argument a bit better, but I was in a hurry and that's the best I could do. The gist of it is: States collapse either because a foreign enemy destroys them, or because the people instigate collapse because they don't want to live in that state anymore. Now America has no foreign enemy capable of toppling it over, that much is clear. America is also, like France, Germany, China, etc, a national state, meaning that its citizens are, despite their differences in culture, background and beliefs, are all united by the fact that they consider themselves Americans. That means that they want to live in the state of America and have no desire to fragment it. Now of course, national identity is an entirely social concept. It is conceivable that in the future, say Texan identity will overpower American identity in Texas, and so Texans will strive to separate from the US and form a state of their own (That's how America came to be after all). But so long as the majority of the population consider themselves members of the same nation, they will always prefer to fix the nation's problems than tear it apart.

By contrast, multinational entities like empires are far more fragile and vulnerable to fragmentation because, come trouble, each nation will strive to form its own state rather than work for the good of the empire.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@Reginleif said:

@TheWitchingHour: To be fair though Africa's never ending gerrymandering lays in the problem that they almost entirely reflect colonial boundaries, not ethnic ones. Only a few African states represent historic states, Morocco, Mali, Egypt and only a few represent ethnic ones (Lesotho). I could see a division of the US based on North and South though...

I'm not sure if gerrymandering is really the most (lol) appropriate term but I understand what you're saying and I agree ;)

English, French, Belgian, and Italian colonialism absolutely were cornerstones of the modern Africa. But those same colonial powers manipulated Ethnic, Political, or Religious schisms that were already in place. In smaller communities these schisms wouldn't have been as much of a problem but on a national scale they render a nation unstable and vulnerable to colonization. Like you said the historic states of Morocco, Mali, and Egypt remained relatively sovereign through the colonial era and continue to do so today. Because they were established and developed states.

@aztek_the_lost said:

@TheWitchingHour said:

New nations spring up from hardly developed ones. Africa has been constantly shifting political boundaries for years because of war, disease, poverty and military regimes. The United States is in a remarkably different situation. It's too tied into the global economy at this point to wither without serious consequences to the rest of the world and more importantly multinationals. Americans consume like no other country on earth and it's in the best interest of virtually every producer out there to ensure our survival.

That's not really true though, most nations broke off from a nation that was pretty old, America for example. I'm not saying its presence wouldn't continue to exist, I'm not even saying it is on the verge of collapse, I'm just saying history shows it'll probably fragment into smaller territories and I'm kind of surprised it hasn't already but that might be because it was created all along with the idea that it's a number of loosely-allied states rather then a single nation.

@Lunacyde said:

Depends what you mean. Many nations have existed for thousands of years. They may go through phases, and change, but they still exist. The era of American dominance MAY be waning, but America is not going to violently collpse and be taken over by invading hordes. Also an American notion coming from a Serbian? How absurd.

But that doesn't really count, where there's people there will be a nation. Simple as that. I never said anything about invading hordes, I meant like collapsing and becoming multiple nations like every other country (including itself) has done in the past. And actually, I didn't know AtPhantom was Serbian, then that notion makes no sense at all.

I get what you're saying. Historical evidence shows that empires fall and new ones take their place. But you also have to take into consideration the fundamental difference between eras. For example the Middle Ages relied on land to dictate power. Fuedalism was the law of the land and that socio-economic policy formed nation/states. But we're currently in the Digital Age. Our currency is information as opposed to land. And that information and data is tied up with everyone elses data. Also countries we are indebted to have an interest in seeing us someday paying off that debt. I agree that something analogous to the downfall of Rome is bound to happen. I just don't think Germanic tribes are going to show up and loot us anytime soon.

TheBatman586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheBatman586

It's not quite at that point yet, but if things continue the way they are, the country only has about another 20 years, max.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blood1991

The U.S. has been through rougher times, and will probably go through worse in the future. To say we are collapsing is just plain over dramatic.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nefarious

Nope, it's structure will remain stabled.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

USA ain't going nowhere. And it's still one of the greatest countries in the world. Always will be.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ssejllenrad

US may lose its edge as the top-dog but I doubt it will collapse. Unless of course they elect another Bush and continue to do so like the row of stupid emperors right before Rome's fall.

Reginleif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Reginleif

Personally I would prefer if some of the 'civilized' states were annexed by Canada, we will become the new barbarians!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nova`Prime`

How do I put this... God I hope so.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
@aztek_the_lost: America is a different animal though. You can't compare the United States to say the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire moved in and conquered a vast land populated by many different peoples who all retained much of their original culture. Most of America's population immigrated here after the conception of the country and adopted the American culture. People came here because they wanted to, and Texas is the only state I could realistically see asking to leave the union. We are stronger together than we could ever be apart. We don't have the distinct ethnic and cultural divisions groups in Africa or Europe have, so it's truly in the American people's best interest to stay together as a cohesive unit.
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
@AtPhantom said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

I think you're confusing nations and states. States come and go, sure, but new nations, as in a group of people bound by a common identity, are far less common. Consider that most nations in Europe are at least a thousand years old. Over time they have oscillated between having their own states and being parts of others, but their national identity has remained strong. The French, for example, have went through five republics and two empires over the past 200 years, but they are still the same French and maintain absolute legal continuity between their states.

Likewise for America. It is a state comprised of people who consider themselves Americans and want to live in America, so they have no reason to pull from the center and cause a collapse, and America has no outside enemy which could facilitate it. American system will perhaps require a bit of a reboot eventually, even without that America will survive because it is a national state and its citizens have no desire to change it.

@Lunacyde said:

Oh come now. I consider myself an Aristotle at best. :P

Yes, but Serbian Aristotle is not alliterative :P
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By ReVamp

No. Its not.

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheSheepHerder

@ReVamp said:

No. Its not.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AtPhantom

@Lunacyde said:

Yes, but Serbian Aristotle is not alliterative :P

Bah, you win this time... :P

(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@ZombieBigfoot said:

No. It's bad, but still far from the point of collapse.