Is a "false rape accusation" database fair?

• 91 results
ImmovableRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It'd be just like a "registered sex offender" database only for people that have falsely accused rape. (I saw this on Reddit and wanted to bring the discussion to CV).

Personally, I think a system like this could work. What do you think?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2 frozen  Moderator

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That idea sounds grand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course that's fair

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Yeah. This needs to get done.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a fine idea.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogueshadow  Moderator
comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yup

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everybody should say yes -_-. & i am sure this has been done this week.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Would be great

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Im all for it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

No.

What if that person is actually raped one day?

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yup.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best idea I've heard in awhile.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

Twould be fair.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Let's make it happen, start a petition!

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fair enough, I guess..

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah.

Fair enough, I guess..

Twould be fair.

Let's make it happen, start a petition!

@bluejay4 said:

Best idea I've heard in awhile.

Yes.

@ryagan said:

Yes.

Im all for it.

Im all for it.

Would be great

@i_like_swords said:

That idea sounds grand.

@racob7 said:

That's a fine idea.

@sog7dc said:

Yeah. This needs to get done.

Yep

@jayc1324 said:

Of course that's fair

FoolsGold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oye I can just imagine the sh!tstorm from feminists and the like if this idea catches on.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It sounds good in theory, but I'm sure it gets complicated if you try to instate it into the world.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There shouldn't be a sex offender list.

If you think someone is at risk to rape again, don't let them out of jail. But, once you've released them, you need to stop persecuting them when they've done their time.

As far as the false rape thing, it's stupid. What function would it serve? It would only deter women who have been actually been raped from coming forward with their story since they'll fear that, if you can't prove their rapist guilty, they'll be publicly shamed for it.

Enough putting people in the town square and having people throw rotten tomatoes at them.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: So you don't think that people should be penalized for false rape accusations?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gymgoer205: there no simple solution. How can you blame an accuser alone? What about the cops who collected bad evidence or didn't see through a false accuser's story?

What about the prosecutor who probably saw that he had no case, but went ahead with the case anyway?

If you punish the accuser, you have to hold plenty of people accountable as well.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you think someone is at risk to rape again, don't let them out of jail. But, once you've released them, you need to stop persecuting them when they've done their time.

As far as the false rape thing, it's stupid. What function would it serve? It would only deter women who have been actually been raped from coming forward with their story since they'll fear that, if you can't prove their rapist guilty, they'll be publicly shamed for it.

Enough putting people in the town square and having people throw rotten tomatoes at them.

He makes a valid point.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Finally!

I was starting to think I was the only one who was actually thinking in this thread.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gymgoer205: there no simple solution. How can you blame an accuser alone? What about the cops who collected bad evidence or didn't see through a false accuser's story?

What about the prosecutor who probably saw that he had no case, but went ahead with the case anyway?

If you punish the accuser, you have to hold plenty of people accountable as well.

Yup

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I didn't ask you any of that. I asked if you think someone should be penalized for falsely accusing another person of rape.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gymgoer205: You got his answer, stop being a strawman.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
@superguy1591 said:

He makes a valid point.

Not really.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38 SC  Moderator

Possibly but many registered sex offenders database systems already have their own problems, as do many countries practical application of fairness and justice as well. So its a complicated issue to think about adding more to systems that are already struggling to cope. So it could be fair in theory, but even then there are better theoretical solutions. Consider how criminals in general reoffend, recidivism statistics and what processes and attitudes help prevent that. Rehabilitation versus punishment. Some people confuse rehabilitation with taking a soft approach, or letting people get away with "anything" but no, done right things are very transparent and open and effective. Serious offenses committed by people should be recorded, not to be held against them, nor does it automatically make them guilty of any other crimes, but unfortunately not only can humans repeat their own behavior making peoples worries about them valid - people also hold grudges and fear excessively even in situations that may not warrant it. Many victims of rape still don't come forward, its one of the more consistent conclusions drawn from multiple studies, and when they do, the stats on whether the people accused being convicted is also quite low, in situations where the outcome is disputed, as in the accuser isn't shown to be liable for any wrong doing just not enough evidence means the accused rapist can be convicted, which is good, evidence obviously being very important. Similar could be said of sex offenders, think of situations where some individuals in steady relationships have been put on such registers because they were a few months older than their consenting girlfriend.

So databases for such things… eh… the right intent, but I think the emphasis should be general rehabilitation and better treatment and care of prisoners and criminals, not for their sake, but the sake of everyone, and to avoid creating future victims. Treat people like savage animals in prison, they act like savage animals out of prison. Its a very hard stance and idea to come around to, its very human to want to punish people, have revenge, teach bad people a lesson, have them suffer for causing suffering. So much so people scoff, dismiss or ignore actual data and statistics that don't conform to their strong views/beliefs.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: No, I didn't get an answer to the question that I asked. Please stop insulting me.

Enjoy your day.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

F*CK YEAH

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 frozen  Moderator
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: No, I didn't get an answer to the question that I asked. Please stop insulting me.

Enjoy your day.

Ask an insulting question get an insulting answer.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Saren

@superguy1591 said:

That's why you have civil lawsuits and concepts like malicious prosecution. The prosecutor from the Duke lacrosse case was disbarred.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't really think it is a good idea really.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

Correct me if I am wrong, but a sex offenders database is for the public to know, not the law enforcement agencies. If that is the case then such a database for those making false rape accusations would be extremely stupid. The sex offenders DB is so that the public can protect themselves in obvious ways (for instance not choosing a route at night going by a sex offender's house) but I see no way that this would benefit anyone to be known. Making a false rape accusation is a criminal offense in almost every jurisdiction every where, and so anyone doing so would have a record of some kind if it were found that they were lying. Police could easily check this if it ever came up. To suggest otherwise is steeped too much in this "men's rights" garbage.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Stop being a kissless virgin.

Thanks.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@blueecho said:

Making a false rape accusation is a criminal offense in almost every jurisdiction every where, and so anyone doing so would have a record of some kind if it were found that they were lying. Police could easily check this if it ever came up. To suggest otherwise is steeped too much in this "men's rights" garbage.

Not sure which jurisdiction you live in, but there are very few records of that kind, especially in the US. This is mostly because prosecutors and cops believe that punishing a woman who makes a false rape allegation is a bad thing because it "scares actual victims from coming forward". And false allegations are categorized as misdemeanor offenses rather than felonies. At best, most cases get a rap on the wrist, some get a stern talking-to if the cops are so inclined, and even fewer might get a fine. Britain has some of the most aggressive laws against false rape allegations ---- I'm assuming this to actually be the case, since prominent feminist organizations make that precise complaint on a regular basis --- and only a hundred women were ever prosecuted for false rape allegations over half a decade. Cops let it slide most of the time; there was one case where a British woman was finally jailed for 2 years after a judge discovered she had made a whopping 13 false rape allegations against different men over a decade.

People are put on lists for all sorts of things that seem like they wouldn't interest you to know --- fraud, disbarment and so on. Some lists are official, some are not, and they might only ever interest you if those people were involved in a field that you frequent. Considering the legal, financial and social setbacks of a false allegation, there's far more reason for a compiled list of false accusers than there is for many other lists that exist. Whether it's a good idea or not is a different story --- regular sex offender lists have their own tangled set of civil rights issues to wade through --- but the benefit is certainly there.

@frozen: Stop being a kissless virgin.

Thanks.

Warning for insults. Don't do it again.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Sorry, I won't do it again. However may I ask why he didn't get a warning?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@gymgoer205: Telling someone to stop asking stupid questions warrants a warning? Since when?