• 59 results
#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24097 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else see the inherent problem with this? I'm not supporting discrimination against the handicapped but doesn't this kind of fall under the threat to public safety thing? I'm sure there are some blind people that could operate a gun safely but they can't be in the majority.

#2 Edited by KraytRawk (605 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds quite silly. However I'm sure there is an intense process of getting that permit for them. There not just going to blindly -ha- give out guns to people.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24097 posts) - - Show Bio

@kraytrawk: Or it could be a desperate attempt by Iowa to make themselves seem interesting.

#4 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

When a movie has a stupid plot twist

#5 Edited by russellmania77 (13552 posts) - - Show Bio

Some like to make their canes into guns or whatever daredevil calls his weapon

#6 Posted by Bogey (929 posts) - - Show Bio

Blind people want a handgun to defend themselves!?! Ohhh hell no. They better learn how to use that walking stick.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24097 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey: But here's the thing, you generally need your eyes for things like aiming, which if I'm not mistaken is somewhat important when shooting a gun.

#8 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would a blind person need a gun? I honestly have no words or other comments.

#9 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

gun instruction session: 'feel the shot'

#10 Edited by M3th (1771 posts) - - Show Bio

MetH Has Hears tHat blind people witH guns are only allowed to sHoot down. Not directly down but if tHey feel tHreatened or in fear of tHeir life tHey can only shoot "at their legs" or so MetH Has Heard.

MetH Honestly doesn't see the problem. If one of tHem goes on a rampage it will be real easy to take care of the situation. THe biggest problem would be a blind person sHooting the wrong person wHicH will easily take away tHere rigHt to carry.

THey can only sHoot from the waist down so... Iowa sHould be ok.

-m3th.O.D.-

#11 Posted by Mercy_ (92075 posts) - - Show Bio

What even

#12 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4637 posts) - - Show Bio

This will only lead to blind gang violence. They're already throwing signs.

#13 Posted by wildvine (7126 posts) - - Show Bio

This will only lead to blind gang violence. They're already throwing signs.

Rotfl

#14 Posted by pooty (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

Every year, with no exceptions, more people with sight...... KILL/INJURE THE WRONG TARGET, more often then blind people do.

#15 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#16 Posted by Blood_Red_Rage (508 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

Every year, with no exceptions, more people with sight...... KILL/INJURE THE WRONG TARGET, more often then blind people do.

The blind are typically not the ones operate a gun because they're blind. The training and judgement of the user is inadequate.

#17 Posted by pooty (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

The blind are typically not the ones operate a gun because they're blind. The training and judgement of the user is inadequate.

Exactly. So sight or lack of sight is not the problem. Inadequate judgement and training is the problem

#18 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: What are blind people going to *do* with guns? It'd be like a deaf person buying a boombox.

It's silly.

#19 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: He's saying the comparison is invalid because generally the blind aren't even allowed to *own* guns.

#20 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19489 posts) - - Show Bio

#21 Posted by Black_Claw (2811 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it wrong that I laughed when I first found out about this?

#22 Posted by mikethekiller (8157 posts) - - Show Bio

#23 Posted by Wolfrazer (4925 posts) - - Show Bio

What logic is this?

#24 Edited by pooty (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity: Understood. my point is: a person with sight but has bad judgment and no training is just as deadly as a blind person owning a gun.

#25 Edited by silkyballfro94 (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

On a lighter note, doesn't this sound like some cruel joke that would come out on Family Guy. I can see it now with Tricia Takanawa at the scene reporting.

#26 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16853 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha ha ha ha ha!

.......uhhh

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (24097 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: I understand your point and all but if a blind guy had good judgement would he own something that depended a lot on the ability to See to avoid accidentally killing an innocent person? I understand the whole "feel your target" thing but you kind of need to see your surroundings to be able to tell at least get in the general area of your target. To me this is along the same lines as not letting blind people drive cars because for the most part it would present a danger to themselves and those around them.

#28 Posted by thespideyguy (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

The constitution replies to everybody.

#29 Posted by dondave (26538 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless they have radar sense like Daredevil, they shouldn't be anywhere near a gun

#30 Edited by joshmightbe (24097 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespideyguy: This could fall in the same line as not being allowed to shout "Fire" in a crowded theater, because it presents a clear threat to the safety of those around you.

#31 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

Would Blind people be even able to pass any of the tests needed to get a permit?

There are tests in America right?

#32 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (21276 posts) - - Show Bio

...... This make sense.

#33 Edited by thespideyguy (2578 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespideyguy: This could fall in the same line as not being allowed to shout "Fire" in a crowded theater, because it presents a clear threat to the safety of those around you.

That ruins my weekend plans.

#34 Posted by pooty (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

A blind person should have the same opportunities to defend themselves as anyone else. plus because they are aware of their limitations, I believe they would use far better judgment then those with sight. if you gave every single blind person a gun and did a 10 year study , I believe blind people would have FEWER deaths by mistake then people with sight. just my opinion.

#35 Edited by Samimista (20172 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by Nefarious (17622 posts) - - Show Bio

Just when I thought I have heard it all...............

#37 Edited by joshmightbe (24097 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: There are millions of people with sight that can't aim for sh*t, and have fine judgement that still have gun accidents. I somehow doubt being blind and having a gun would lower those odds.

#38 Posted by pooty (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt being blind with a gun would greatly increase those numbers. Look up the situations where most accidental deaths by guns take place. Robberies, huntung, drive bys. blind people would not be involved in those activities. They would mainly use them only for self defense. If I'm blind and a robber breaks in my house I deserve at least a chance to blow his head off

#39 Edited by Wolverine08 (26301 posts) - - Show Bio

#40 Posted by King Saturn (222790 posts) - - Show Bio

This almost sounds like something from a Movie...

#41 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (7769 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

I doubt being blind with a gun would greatly increase those numbers. Look up the situations where most accidental deaths by guns take place. Robberies, huntung, drive bys. blind people would not be involved in those activities. They would mainly use them only for self defense. If I'm blind and a robber breaks in my house I deserve at least a chance to blow his head off

...or accidentally shoot your fleeing wife or child. I see your point, I've never seen a blind man hold up a liquor store, nor shoot at a drive by. That still doesn't change the fact that this is a deadly weapon that is based primarily on sight and people without sight shouldn't really have them.

#42 Posted by joshmightbe (24097 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: I agree no blind guy has ever done a drive by because Blind people aren't allowed to drive cars.

#43 Edited by pooty (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

A gun is not dangerous. The person holding the gun is dangerous. I see your point also. I understand how absurd this may sound. but to clarify my point lets try this. Name every reasonable situation a blind person may kill the wrong person by accident. Then I will name every reasonable situation a person with sight may accidentally kill the wrong person. Then we'll see who is more dangerous with a gun. I don't think guns kill people. I think people put themselves in situations where the PERSON accidentally kills a person. I think blind people would avoid the VAST MAJORITY of those situations. also blind people are already at a disadvantage to protect themselves. and robbers and thugs know this. they already don't have sight. Should we make them a bigger target by not letting them defend themselves?

#44 Posted by joshmightbe (24097 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: But not being able to see increases the odds of missing a target dramatically, I'm sorry there is absolutely NO WAY you will ever convince me that it is safe to allow someone without the ability to aim a gun to have one. Shooting without looking is considered by the most experienced and well trained marksmen to be idiotic and a blind man is literally incapable of looking where he shoots. No amount of good judgement is going to make a damn bit of difference if you can't see the target your shooting at, that is just logic plain and simple.

#45 Posted by pooty (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: You asked a question in the OP: Anyone else see the inherent problem with this? My answer is "NO". If you only want comments from people who agree with you then let that be known in the OP. Still, I say that PEOPLE kill PEOPLE because PEOPLE, not an inanimate object, put themselves in bad situations and make bad decisions. I don't believe that Blind people would put themselves in those situations thus they won't make as many bad decisions.

#46 Edited by pooty (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is the link and the full story for people who want to know. The sheriff of the town is the main supporter of this. He has enough sense to know that blind people will NOT be casually shooting guns the way people with sight do. He is talking about if a person is on top of you, even a blind person can shoot the person on top of them. Also the law is for the visually impaired. People who may not see clearly but can see shapes, sizes etc. He says they would NEED additional training and practice. So no, this is not "give any blind person a gun and let them shoot away". This is an effort to TRAIN people who are visually impaired in the correct use of a gun so they can protect themselves just as you would want to protect yourself!!!!

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2013/09/10/iowa-guns-blind

#47 Posted by joshmightbe (24097 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: I didn't say you had to agree with me, just saying that you won't convince me that this is a good idea. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean you aren't allowed to say it. Perhaps you need to understand how conversations work a little better if you think just expressing a different opinion is trying to enforce my thought process on someone else.

#48 Posted by pooty (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Once a person says: NO WAY you can ever convince me" there is no need for further discussion on that topic. It is no longer a conversation just a waste of time

#49 Edited by MrDirector786 (43131 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember when I first heard this I just facepalmed.

#50 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

A blind person with a gun is largely going to be a threat to everyone but his actual target. It's definitely not going to work as a method of self defense unless it's a spray and pray kind of gun, which if I understand, are much harder to acquire legally in America than single shot/semi-automatic weapons.