Intelligence and Wisdom

Avatar image for deactivated-57d57a3174063
deactivated-57d57a3174063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How would you define intelligence and wisdom? How are they similar and how are the different? In the long-run, is one more important or useful than the other? Personally, which would you rather have more of?

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think intelligence refers more to iq/grades you get on a report card; whereas wisdom is something that can be earned. I think of wise people as having a good idea of what decisions to make. I tend to think of older people as wise (this is not always the case as I have known some young people who are wise, and on the flip side, some senior citizens who aren't), and it can correlate to intelligence, but not necessarily. I tend to think of wise people as having a lot of experience.

Both are important and I don't think of one as better than the other. I'd probably rather be intelligent, but I think having a good balance is best.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wisdom is understanding of things gained through experience whereas intelligence is one's capability to understand and capacity for things like logic, abstract thought, problem solving, etc.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By comicace3

@wolverine08 said:

Wisdom is understanding of things gained through experience whereas intelligence is one's capability to understand and capacity for things like logic, abstract thought, problem solving, etc.

*sigh* beat me to it... And Wisdom I believe is more important as you are able to share it with others so they don't make the same mistake you have or have seen other people do. I'm already intelligent so I'd go for Wisdom. Makes life a lot easier when you know whats coming and how to solve it or cope with it.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all in the head

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

*sigh* beat me to it... And Wisdom I believe is more important as you are able to share it with others so they don't make the same mistake you have or have seen other people do. I'm already intelligent so I'd go for Wisdom. Makes life a lot easier when you know whats coming and how to solve it or cope with it.

Good point.

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Detrolord

Wisdom

Wisdom- give you to think faster in immediate encounters

Intelligence- give you just knowledge but with common sense

OR

Wisdom- more magic atk damage

Intelligence- more mana

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

intelligence is knowing. wisdom is knowing what to do.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By nefarious

Both are power.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By swordmasterD

Well both boost spell power, as a mage they are my most important stats. IIRC Intelligence is better for power and Wisdom for other magic based abilities/things/stats

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

....Bold claim

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, not a vegetable.

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@racob7 said:

I was going to say this >:c

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intelligence is the ability to learn, understand, reason and collection of knowledge.

Wisdom is the application of knowledge. I often lump wisdom into the same category as common sense.

At the extremes, I think of Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory as an example of intelligence but lacking wisdom. He can explain why it rains but would not think to bring an umbrella (as an example)

@racob7: yeah you said it first =)

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jezer

@scorpion2501 said:

@racob7 said:

I was going to say this >:c

Don't even think that's true lol

Knowledge isn't intelligence, at least in the way that most people think about it (its everyday connotation)

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jezer said:

@comicace3 said:

@wolverine08 said:

....Bold claim

What can I say... The people's champ knows when to be bold and knows when to be humble. In real life I'm actually an athletic nerd, but sometimes chooses to read books or play video games than workout. I'm also pretty much shy or you could say....introverted and sarcastic.

I was deemed a gifted child when I was 9 though right now I don't feel very "gifted"

Fun fact: My last name means Bold

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@racob7 said:

My sides XD

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intelligence is raw computing power. It's your ability to learn and reason.

Wisdom is your awareness, your common sense, your intuition.

D&D should have taught all you nerds this.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wolverine008

Intelligence is raw computing power. It's your ability to learn and reason.

Wisdom is your awareness, your common sense, your intuition.

D&D should have taught all you nerds this.

I rather get me some T&A's!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: When your BAB is high enough that you can hit puberty without rolling a natural 20, then you are of a CR high enough to take on the T and A. Otherwise it'll end up in a TPK and since you running solo, nobody else would be there to raise you....from the dead.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: I don't hate. I'm a stern mentor, showing you that you'll drop Stooge for Kat, that D&D is a valid learning tool and one day with enough hand to....um hand training, that one day you too be able to get and hold onto a girl.

If I was a hater I'd just let a Spider-Man fan look out for your well being.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: I don't hate. I'm a stern mentor, showing you that you'll drop Stooge for Kat, that D&D is a valid learning tool and one day with enough hand to....um hand training, that one day you too be able to get and hold onto a girl.

If I was a hater I'd just let a Spider-Man fan look out for your well being.

I DON'T NEED YOUR TEACHINGS!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Fine. Be sloppy replies on his healing factor Wolverine08 and not the master of 17 styles of Gung Fu, duck and weave version.

To others reading this thread, our subject friend Wolverine 08 is an excellent example of reasonable intelligence backed with low wisdom. The only teacher he seeks is experience, and experience often charges a high tuition.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Fine. Be sloppy replies on his healing factor Wolverine08 and not the master of 17 styles of Gung Fu, duck and weave version.

To others reading this thread, our subject friend Wolverine 08 is an excellent example of reasonable intelligence backed with low wisdom. The only teacher he seeks is experience, and experience often charges a high tuition.

lol

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jezer said:

@comicace3 said:

@wolverine08 said:

....Bold claim

What can I say... The people's champ knows when to be bold and knows when to be humble. In real life I'm actually an athletic nerd, but sometimes chooses to read books or play video games than workout. I'm also pretty much shy or you could say....introverted and sarcastic.

I was deemed a gifted child when I was 9 though right now I don't feel very "gifted"

I'm pulling your leg.

But, I'm also curious about what reasons people have to consider themselves intelligent. No need for humility(humility is kind of boring), tell me exactly why you consider yourself intelligent.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By force_echo

Intelligence is nearly impossible to measure because no one even knows what intelligence is. My father took an iq test once, his sub scores ranged from 60 (spatial reasoning) to 180 (mathematics/statistical analysis). So yeah, either my dad's borderline retarded (I'm using that in a medical term, as in actually retarded, not vernacular), or he's an insane ultra genius. Or he could just be as smart as everyone else and the IQ test could only test one thing-- your ability to take an IQ test.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intelligence is knowing 2+2, Wisdom is using what you know to make sure no one ever gives you 3.

Avatar image for annoyedimmortalspirit
AnnoyedImmortalSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's very easy... it's like a race, where intelligence is the engine of the car, and wisdom is the skill of the driver.

i prefer wisdom.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By comicace3

@jezer said:

@comicace3 said:

@jezer said:

@comicace3 said:

@wolverine08 said:

....Bold claim

I'm pulling your leg.

But, I'm also curious about what reasons people have to consider themselves intelligent. No need for humility(humility is kind of boring), tell me exactly why you consider yourself intelligent.

I don't. But I was told so by too many damn people. So i went with it. Must have to do with my memory, and advanced skills in math. I took an IQ test when I was 9 and now I think its competely bull sh*t. I'm actually hoping I become better in science but my AP classes are kicking my a** right now.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intelligence is gifted, while wisdom is earned.

An intelligent person will never cease to be intelligent during their lifetime; you can't control intelligence. What you can control is wisdom. You can choose whether you want to put that wisdom into use or not. Experience also does not automatically bestow you wisdom, but it depends on your choice whether you want to learn from experience or ignore it entirely.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wisdom = Intelligence + Knowledge

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

' Wisdom is a quality of having experience, good judgment, and prudence.

'Intelligence is the ability to apply that knowledge and experience.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intelligence affects your skill points, Wisdom affects your Will saves.

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intelligence affects your skill points, Wisdom affects your Will saves.

'This.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:

Wisdom = Intelligence + Knowledge + Self-Control

IMO it's this.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't matter, if you have either one of them you're still a nerd.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intelligence is what you get from hitting the books and studying. Wisdom is what you get out of the lessons you've learned from life.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wisdom is more important. "Whatever else you do, get wisdom."

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NeonGameWave

Intelligence is more defined by wit, thought process and knowledge as well as application.

Wisdom is more defined by insight, foreknowledge, judgement and discernment.

I think their both important but I think if your wise then you will be intelligent in some other area as intelligence is more broad IMO.

I rather just have both I have been described as being an intellectual and a wise individual but I think being wise will work out better in the long run so I would go with wisdom while try to use that wisdom to make inspiring choices that would give others reason to reach deeper and become more intelligent than usual in terms of their thinking pattern on a daily basis.