Indiana GOP Gov signs law that discriminates against gays

• 55 results
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Anyway, this is going to affect more than just the LGBT community. It's going to affect non-Christian groups, too. I could sit here and say that this isn't my problem, since I live in Georgia. However, my governor is a clown-piece-of-sh!t Republican, too.

Nathan Deal
Nathan Deal

Guys, this is just the beginning. Who's the say that other GOP governors won't pull the same stunt in the future? All of them know about it, anyway.

Avatar image for leonardo_liafador
Leonardo_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@pyrogram said:

@leonardo_liafador: Not really just this to be honest, it's just one thing upon a pile of many. I dislike even normal religion for it's views on sex, for example. How taboo it's made and how terrible it makes some women feel about their sexuality. Even everyday Christianity does that.

But yeah, you are right. I know plenty of religious people who oppose this law too.

Now see my man, There's such a diversity of beliefs among Christians that you won't find ones that are all exactly the same. Like you'll find probably thousands of Christians with views differing from the mainstream views others have, and vice versa, its just a matter of the individual.

About this law, I mean I may just be ignorant, but doesn't the website seem a bit assumptive in how the law will be used?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ok

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, this is just the beginning. Who's the say that other GOP governors won't pull the same stunt in the future? All of them know about it, anyway.

They're trying the same thing in Oklahoma... with one small issue...

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/%E2%80%98religious-freedom%E2%80%99-bill-ditched-after-amendment-added-prevent-gay-couples-being-humiliated1

‘Religious freedom’ bill ditched after amendment is added to prevent gay couples being humiliated

If a business wants to discriminate against LGBT people then it must advertise the fact in advance, says a Democratic member of the Oklahoma House of Representatives

13 MARCH 2015 | BY DAVID HUDSON

An attempt to pass a law in Oklahoma that would allow businesses to refuse certain services to LGBT people has stalled, and it could be partly due to an amendment introduced by an opponent to the bill.

Earlier this year, Republican state Rep. Chuck Strohm introduced his ‘Oklahoma Religious Freedom Act’ (HB1371).

If passed, this would allow businesses to deny services to customers if they felt that such services were ‘against the person’s religious beliefs’.

The bill was aiming to allow businesses such as cake makers and florists the freedom to decline providing services for same-sex weddings.

Describing herself as ‘adamantly opposed’ to the proposed legislation is Emily Virgin (pictured), a Democratic member of the Oklahoma House of Representatives.

This week, Virgin introduced an amendment to the bill. In brief, the amendment stated that if you were planning on refusing to serve LGBT people on religious grounds, then you must display a public notice to this effect.

‘Any person not wanting to participate in any of the activities set forth in subsection A of this section based on sexual orientation, gender identity or race of either party to the marriage shall post notice of such refusal in a manner clearly visible to the public in all places of business, including websites,’ said the amendment.

‘The notice may refer to the person’s religious beliefs, but shall state specifically which couples the business does not serve by referring to a refusal based upon sexual orientation, gender identity or race.’

On her Facebook page, Virgin explained the reasoning behind the amendment.

‘This would save same-sex couples the trouble and embarrassment of going into that business just to be turned away.’

Virgin came up with the amendment after consultation with LGBT advocacy group Freedom Oklahoma and the ACLU of Oklahoma.

‘Thank you to Representative Virgin for calling out the level of segregation allowed under this legislation,’ said Troy Stevenson, Executive Director of Freedom Oklahoma to Gayly.

‘If the state of Oklahoma is going to protect discrimination, then at the very least, businesses should be required to own their bias, and post it publicly for the world to see.’

‘If you want to discriminate under this law if it passes, then you’re legally allowed to do that, but you need to own it. You need to fess up to it,’ Rep. Virgin told kfor.com.

Yesterday, it was announced that the bill has stalled. House leadership did not take up the proposal for discussion. For it to return to the House, it would need to be added to another bill, but Virgin has indicated that if that happens, she would act again.

‘It appears that the bill is dead for this session,’ she said on her Facebook page, ‘but we will be keeping an eye out for any discriminatory legislation that might come forward in the rest of the session!’

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@willpayton: I think that even with businesses openly expressing their biases, they're still might be some issues with that. It's good that the bill has stalled, though.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Senator Tom Cotton (the letter to Iran guy) says that we shouldnt be worrying about discrimination towards gays because... you know, at least we dont kill them like they do in Iran.

Hmm...

In Iran, they also execute you for attempting to subvert the President, or for trying to convert people to Christianity for that matter. Yeah, that's what happens in theocracies Mr. Cotton. Maybe you should thank your God every morning that you live in a secular nation with Separation of Church and State, one that allows you to run your mouth off and subvert the President's efforts to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons.

Loading Video...