#1 Edited by modernww2fare (972 posts) - - Show Bio

Ethnicity questions always ask what is your origin;

'Black'

'White'

'Asian'

'Native American or Pacific Islander'

'Latino'

and 'Other'

But where do Brazilian-Americans fit in this?

#2 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

There are really only 3 races in the world. Brazilians, like most other people of hispanic descent, are usually identified as "Caucasian"

#3 Edited by russellmania77 (14606 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk, only met one brizilian in my life and for some reason she didn't like to let others know

#4 Edited by kgb725 (6002 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they just identify as Americans

#5 Posted by modernww2fare (972 posts) - - Show Bio

There are really only 3 races in the world. Brazilians, like most other people of hispanic descent, are usually identified as "Caucasian"

…… since when???? I never hear of Hispanics being classified as caucasian in the US.

#6 Edited by _Gaff_ (3196 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (20787 posts) - - Show Bio

Mixed...?

#8 Posted by kgb725 (6002 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

…… since when???? I never hear of Hispanics being classified as caucasian in the US.

Since always. Race is usually classified by features, not place of origin.

#10 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see race. I obviously see it, it just doesn't really matter.

#11 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (20787 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: The thing is if you ask a Brazilian what their exact ethnicity is, they can't give you a direct answer because just Caucasian, Latino or African-American don't necessarily apply.

#12 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5511 posts) - - Show Bio

South American.

#13 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

.... I don't think I've met a Brazilian person except for @dragonborn_ct: and it's not like I've met him in real life so... Wow I just realized this.

#14 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (20787 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by modernww2fare (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare said:

Since always. Race is usually classified by features, not place of origin.

We're talking about how people are identified in the United States. Did you see my options?

#17 Posted by Manchine (3987 posts) - - Show Bio

#18 Edited by modernww2fare (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@manchine said:

Sim, as mulheres brasileiras são muito bonita (yeah, the brazilian women are very beautiful)

#19 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

They identify as Brazilian Americans.

Everything else is subjective. And the... "there are only 3 races..."

no... stop... "don't do that"- Daylyt.

(+)

#20 Posted by modernww2fare (972 posts) - - Show Bio

They identify as Brazilian Americans.

Everything else is subjective. And the... "there are only 3 races..."

no... stop... "don't do that"- Daylyt.

(+)

Lol. so no "black, white, asian, native/pacific islander, or latino?" they put "other"?

#21 Edited by Dernman (14763 posts) - - Show Bio

You got it all wrong. There is only the human race.........well there are elves, dwarves, orcs and other miscellaneous races.........

#22 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare:

I. Sometimes... "other" is an option.

II. It is all completely subjective what one person picks.

III. Race is a bit of a illusion. It kind of doesn't really exist. One example would be the term Latino. There are some who do not identify with the term latino and say jokes like... I don't speak latin. However, others would view them as latino even though they themselves don't identify themselves as latinos.

The term latino was coined in the 60's to increase tension of race. Now some people believe Latino is not a "race" and they are actually "white."

There are scientist who go to places like Cuba, Colombia, and etc and ask them, do you identify yourself as "white" or "black." Many of my friends, family, class mates, and colleagues think this is simply STUPID.

In the words of King Kendrick Lamar, "F*** your ethnicity."

so... a Brazilian American can decide what they want to identify as.

(+)

#23 Posted by Edamame (27986 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by JediXMan (29654 posts) - - Show Bio
@modernww2fare said:

@emequious_swerve said:

Ethnicity =/= race. Hispanics is not a race.

If you're talking about ethnicity, that is not black/white/Asian, as those are races. Ethnicity refers to cultural backgrounds, not always blood and genetics. White/black/Asian each encompass a wide range of ethnicities.

#25 Edited by modernww2fare (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
@modernww2fare said:

@emequious_swerve said:

If you're talking about ethnicity, that is not black/white/Asian, as those are races. Ethnicity refers to cultural backgrounds, not always blood and genetics. White/black/Asian each encompass a wide range of ethnicities.

Look, all I'm asking is out of the options I listed in the thread description - what do they choose. That's just the way it's listed in "background" questions.

#26 Posted by JediXMan (29654 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
@modernww2fare said:

@emequious_swerve said:

Look, all I'm asking is out of the options I listed in the thread description - what do they choose. That's just the way it's listed in "background" questions.

There's an "other" option on those questions.

#27 Edited by PotatoOfDoom (491 posts) - - Show Bio

People?

But I'm a potato, what do I know about ethnicity anyways...

#28 Edited by modernww2fare (972 posts) - - Show Bio

People?

But I'm a potato, what do I know about ethnicity anyways...

*facepalm*

#29 Posted by PotatoOfDoom (491 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Edited by dngn4774 (2782 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Edamame (27986 posts) - - Show Bio