Impurest's Guide to Animals #36 - Vaquita

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By ImpurestCheese

Well after a weeks absence Impurest’s Guide to Animals returns to Comic Vine. Two weeks ago the jolly little Zebra Jumping Spider hopped into the spotlight. This week we have the ‘little cow’ from the Sea of Cortez. Hope you enjoy.

Issue #36 Vaquita

[1]
[1]

Kingdom – Animalia

Phylum – Chordata

Class – Mammalia

Order – Cetartiodactyla

Family – Phocenidae

Genus – Phocena

Species – sinus

Related Species - The Vaquita is one of the four species in the genus Phocena, the others being the Harbour Porpoise (Phocenea phocenea), Burmeister’s Porpoise (Phocenea dioptrica) and the Spectacle Porpoise (Phocenea spinipinnis) (1)

Range

[2]
[2]

The Little Cow

The Vaquita (Spanish for Little Cow) is the smallest member of the cetacean family, with a length of only 130cm and an average weight of 30kg. The Vaquita can be easily recognised by the large black markings running down the beak and up to the eyes as well as a larger dorsal fin then the other porpoise species. The Vaquita is only found in small groups and unlike their dolphin cousins never gather in large numbers (2). Like most other cetaceans the Vaquita navigates and communicates primarily using echolocation, which in the muddy coastal region the porpoise lives in, is more reliable then their eyesight.

[2]
[2]

Vaquita are not fussy eaters, and will take a wide range of small to medium sized fish, cephalopods and other invertebrates. The porpoise has few natural predators other then man, although the species is sometimes attacked by Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncates) which will go as far to kill the porpoises for as of yet unknown reasons (3). Despite these attacks the main threat to the Vaquita isn’t a dolphin or a shark but rather Man’s expansion into the sea.

Illegal Gill Nets used in the Sea of Cortez create a deadly maze of weave and robe, that’s virtually invisible to dolphin and porpoise echolocation. It’s estimated that just under a hundred animals remain in the wild population, and that through interbreeding the species is at risk of genetic homogenisation. At current the Mexican government is desperately trying to ban gill nets in Vaquita territory, and due to the small number of animals remaining, it is likely that the Vaquita will become extinct within the decade.

[4]
[4]

Five to Save #3 - Marine Mammals

Marine Mammals have long been the poster animals for the blight of endangered species everywhere. While the traditional threats may now be gone throughout most of their range, these noble creatures now run a new gauntlet as deadly and as terrifying as any harpoon fired from a whaling vessel. The good news for the majority of species is that numbers are either increasing or are stable, although recently a few species, seem to be heading back towards extinction.

Fin Whale (Balaneoptera physalus) Endangered

Threats: Historic Whaling - The Fin Whale, being one of the largest and fastest of all the baleen whales was among the last to be hunted commercially. It was estimated that between 1935 and 1965 around 30,000 individuals were killed a year. While hunting is now mostly banned the species, unlike other baleen whales, doesn’t seem to be recovering, possibly due to slow reproduction rate, although it’s feared the population will never truly recover.

Hector’s Dolphin (Chephaloryncus hectori) Endangered

Threats: Bycatch - Many of the smaller dolphin and porpoise species regularly suffer from accidental catching by gill nets. In addition the species preference to shallow water habitat makes it very vulnerable to industrial pollution and collision with boats, despite the New Zealand Government’s strict law about harming the species and comprehensive marine reserves set up for the species.

Marine Otter (Lontra felina) Endangered

Threats: Mining - While industrial pollution is a big problem for most coastal animals, the Marine Otter lives on the shores of one of the biggest mining zones in the world. Found only off the coast of Argentina, Chile and Peru, the species suffers from pesticides, toxins and silt running down into the ocean. In addition, despite strict government penalties the species is still hunted for its fur.

Mediterranean Monk Seal (Monachus monachus) Critically Endangered

Threats: Competition for Resources - While pesticides and water pollution have caused a decline in the population it’s the development of tourist attractions and beaches around the Mediterranean that have caused the Monk Seal problems. While the species historically gave birth and rested on remote island beaches, competition with tourists, real estate agents and big business has pushed the species to live in marine caves, a potentially risky gambit considering the geological instability of the entire region.

Sea Otter (Enhydra lutris) Endangered

Threats : Broken Ecological Dynamic - While fur hunting was the route cause of Sea Otter endangerment, their numbers have increased after a ban on hunting in the 1900s. Most recently accidental pollution such as the destruction of the Exon Valdez Tanker is the most prevalent danger. Because of the oil spill the ecological balance shifted with large numbers of seals and sea lions leaving the area or simply dying. Because of this the local Orca (Orcinus orca) has shifted their diet from seals to otters, and have caused a decline of 90% in local populations in certain areas.

Bibliography

1 - www.arkive.org

2 - Barlow, J. (2014). "Vaquita (Phocoena sinus)".EDGE of Existence programme. Zoological Society of London.

3 - Evidence Puts Dolphins in New Light, as Killers". Luna.pos.to. July 6, 1999.

Picture References

1 - http://www.cms.int/reports/small_cetaceans/data/P_sinus/P%20sinus_wurtz.jpg

2 - http://worldsaquarium.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/vaquita_map.jpg

3 - http://cdn2.arkive.org/media/B9/B9BAFA06-7026-4304-A672-2F8C35E07304/Presentation.Large/Vaquita-calf-at-the-surface.jpg

4 - http://cdn2.arkive.org/media/D2/D2373991-E7E2-4C88-9F37-9DBCB31FDA4F/Presentation.Large/Four-dead-vaquitas-on-beach.jpg

And with that we bid adios, maybe forever, to the Vaquita and its endangered marine mammal associates. Next week we have a disgusting worm issue. Enough said I think. Until then comment, critic and request odd and amazing creatures or just check out past issues in the Bestiary of Past Issues.

Many Thanks

Impurest Cheese

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just might be the saddest thing I've read on Comic Vine.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@mandarinestro: No but I am an ecologist.

@xwraith: Yes, finding pictures was very traumatic, most were of Vaquitas tangled up in nets.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DarthAznable

They look like they smoke a certain leaf

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: They find it hard to light up under the ocean surface

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: Yes Worns ma ha ha ha

@darthaznable: If you can get it to work

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: So evil...

Those little porpoises are cute though, looks like they wear make up. Lol

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: Yes they are rather cute. Figured they would be a good cute buffer before the horror...of worms

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Poor little Vaquitas. Not only do humans keep killing them, dolphins go after them too. Damn dolphins, they think they're soooo great.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: The difference is humans do it accidentally. There is a theory that the attackers are male dolphins learning how to commit infanticide among their own kind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

@impurestcheese: I seriously don't understand why people like dolphins so much.

FoolsGold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You seem to be riding the cute angle alot these days :P

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foolsgold: That's only because I'm about to release a few nightmare issues in the next few weeks

@squares: No idea dolphins are as evil a life form as it gets and yet people love them

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

;-; how could someone kill such an beautiful animal

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: The difference is humans do it accidentally.

Oh, you mean humans don't kill them .....<.< >.> on porpoise!??

I'm sorry, I had a lot of sugar today. At any rate, it is pretty sad when any animal on the planet borders extinction....especially due to human interference.

@squares said:

I seriously don't understand why people like dolphins so much.

I agree. They are the only other animal on the planet aside from humans that will kill their own kind unnecessarily. Not for food, or mating reasons, or to decide who is alpha porpoise or anything like that. They do it for no reason or out of passion.......which is basically an act of murder. If you combine that with the fact that their intelligence maybe greater than our own....I actually find them kind of terrifying.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness: By accident really. The lines that kill them are set to catch one of their favourite food fishes (also Critically Endangered) for the Chinese Food Market

@cattlebattle: I concur with your observations on dolphins and endangerment. I will even let that joke slide,

Oh and here is a *Rim Shot* for your pun

JoshuaDBr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: That's so strange that you're doing this about the vaquita! I was just at Seewinter.com, and they have an article about this porpoise! They even have a petition which I think is to help get the ban of the fishing nets. Here's a link to the article if anyone wants to sea (pun intended) it.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ImpurestCheese
Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Straight-Fire  Online

Damn, that's sad. :(

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks that they're dying out. Such awesome animals. :(

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightsofdarkness2: That can be said about most endangered species but truly the Vaquita sums up how daunting conservation is quite well.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just want to go down to Mexico, grab one of those cuties and hug it all the way back home where I can keep it in my tub and play songs for it to assuage my guilt as a member of the human race.

Dolphins = Evil

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

JoshuaDBr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@ms-lola: If you can find one, get it through customs and provide enough food for it then you can keep it

@dagmar_merrill: Because they look happy and remind us of happy fun people even though they practice rape, infanticide and genocide

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Straight-Fire  Online

@impurestcheese: Yeah. :(

I thought this was the creepy issue. Unless it's next week?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ImpurestCheese
Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers