Posted by Agent9149 (2868 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember when I first saw the preview for the film Immortals. My face was like :D. I thought it was going to be an epic movie done in the style of 300 which will depict an epic battle between the Gods and Titans in Heaven. When I saw the movie my face was like -____________-

Here are three things that made me hate the movie.

  1. King Hyperion: His motives for raging war and releasing the titans was so weak and pathetic I thought I heard wrong. He was really angry at the gods because they didn't heal his family. He was killing millions and torturing countless because the gods did nothing. A villain is only as good as his conviction. All this time I thought the gods wronged him and did "something". But in reality he's mad because they did nothing. That's a good reason for not believing in the gods, but to rage war in the sake of throwing them down. I don't think so
  2. The gods. Whoever told the writers and director that the Greek Gods don't like to interfere with mortals lied terribly. The gods interfered for the sake of interfering, hell sometimes they interfered simply because they could. Also if your going to have the greek gods, atleast have the whole pantheon. Not just 5 of them. However my biggest gripe about the gods were that they didn't look like gods, they looked like teenagers sitting at the cool table during lunch time like what? They didn't convince me of their godliness at all. (Also why was zeus so big on not interfere in the affairs of mortals when he himself was prepping the protagonist to be a warrior from day one, that's plain interfering regardless of how you're putting it)
  3. Remember this scene guys
    This scene was in the first minute of the preview. This scene was shown in the last minute of the the movie. This is false advertisement at its best. I came to this movie thinking I was going to see epic-ness like this throughout the whole movie. The whole movie was about "extremely buff* underdog and his cliche girlfriend fortune teller trying to stop a mad man and his terrible army while the gods argued about whether they should help or not. It wasn't about a human aiding the gods battle terrible forces in heaven. The only godly scene they had in the movie was when they were fighting the titans (who looked like African tribesmen chained on a slave trip in the middle passage) but even that scene wasn't awe inspiring

Long rant short: If your movie is about greek legend of man vs man with references to the gods don't market it to be a greek legend of Gods vs Gods with the references with man.

Anyone feel this way.

#1 Posted by JediXMan (31328 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll probably see it soon anyway. I admit, though, that it's purely because the action scenes looked kinda cool. But hey, I have it available on Netflix for instant streaming, so it's no skin off my back.

Moderator
#2 Posted by Agent9149 (2868 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: well when you see tell me how you felt about it

#3 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea that movie was pretty lame. Only thing I remember that was cool was the exploding heads

#4 Posted by JediXMan (31328 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duke_Nasty said:

Yea that movie was pretty lame. Only thing I remember that was cool was the exploding heads

I liked the use of slow motion. It wasn't so much just normal slow motion, but the way it was done; how the gods moved at fast speeds and everyone else was slow, or "normal." I just thought that was kinda cool.

Moderator
#5 Posted by Swagger462 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

I hadn't heard much about it when I went to see it. All I knew was that it was produced by the dudes that did 300. The only expectation that I had was that lots of people were gonna get slaughtered. They did, I left happy.

#6 Posted by Agent9149 (2868 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: i have to admit, the actually fight scenes with the gods (even thought there was about 3) were really good, and was the reason I came to see the movie, but on seeing that movie could care less about the gods i was highly upset

#7 Edited by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor film good fights.

All I could think was that Zeus must have been gutted when he killed the God of WAR right before their massive Titan fight.

@Agent9149: One of my biggest gripes with regards to the accuracy of the Mythology were the Titans, I mean I can understand them wanting to have loads of them just so the Gods look good, but in reality, had any of the Gods used any of their "divine power" or actually used some durability, they could have stomped all over the Titans. The Titans IIRC in mythology were on par if not stronger than the Gods, and so that aspect frustrated me.

My Idea for the writers would be, have the Gods run through the human army and annihilate them before engaging the Titans in one on one combat.

#8 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

You think that cut scene is awesome?

You would slap yourself if you knew what movie they had planned, started filming and then canned.

It was called Paradise Lost and it was about a war in heaven. Full blown angels fighting to the death throughout most of it. It would have been greatness.

#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duke_Nasty said:

Yea that movie was pretty lame. Only thing I remember that was cool was the exploding heads

i like how they gave it some awesome hype but after you watch the movie you realize the it's total BS

Online
#10 Posted by HolySerpent (12828 posts) - - Show Bio

TheGoldenOne said it was Oscar SMH

#11 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Immortals was incredibly sucky. Probably the worst high budget movie I've seen this year. And not because of deviations from the myth, which so many people seem to have problems with. No, I've gone numb to those. The movie is just bad.

@TheAcidSkull said:

i like how they gave it some awesome hype but after you watch the movie you realize the it's total BS

Isn't that usually how it works?

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

Yeah, Immortals was incredibly sucky. Probably the worst high budget movie I've seen this year. And not because of deviations from the myth, which so many people seem to have problems with. No, I've gone numb to those. The movie is just bad.

@TheAcidSkull said:

i like how they gave it some awesome hype but after you watch the movie you realize the it's total BS

Isn't that usually how it works?

unfortunately, the same thing could be said for wrath of the titans ( it was slightly better but it still sucked)

Online
#13 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Wrath of the Titans. It was retarded, but entertainingly so.

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18842 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

I loved Wrath of the Titans. It was retarded, but entertainingly so.

it was the kind of movie you'd want to watch after a long hard day, it's just for entertainment , after a hard day you just can't watch something like requiem of a dream ( even though the movie was Awesome)

Online
#15 Posted by TheThe (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only seen 25mn of this movie and it burned my eyes. It's bad. Really bad.

#16 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15132 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie reminded me of God of War.

#17 Posted by Deranged Midget (17974 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: The action was done pretty damn well. Also, Cavill did a good job as leading man. Besides that, it's an average film with a decent plot.

Moderator
#18 Posted by Immortals (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw... why do you hate me?

#19 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

scenes look pretty interesting.

#20 Edited by Agent9149 (2868 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

You think that cut scene is awesome?

You would slap yourself if you knew what movie they had planned, started filming and then canned.

It was called Paradise Lost and it was about a war in heaven. Full blown angels fighting to the death throughout most of it. It would have been greatness.

Paradise Lost :O that would have been epic, why didn't they do that, and not this foolish film they have now

@The_Thunderer: I was so mad the way they protrayed the titans. The whole movie kept talking about how ferocious and bloodthirsty and terrible they are but they were just a let down. Not to mention they didn't even look like titans they looked African tribal warriors, so racist /s

@Immortals said:

Aw... why do you hate me?

unless you're the personification of the movie immortals i don't hate you :3

#21 Posted by Monika (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Incredibly disappointed, and maybe it's my fault for thinking a movie could somewhat resemble its source material but I like the source material and that's what made me interested in the movie, I wouldn't have watched the movie had I known what it really was. I mean the actual stuff with the gods and what-not was incredibly disappointing and with all these Greek movies over the past decade, I was hoping for quality stuff, not this. I was wanting gods back in Troy already (as they are in the actual story).

#22 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20446 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't look interesting to me so I didn't see it in theaters. Looks like I was right. I have it on Netflix so I could basically watch it for free, but I wouldn't bother.

Online
#23 Posted by Inverno (13292 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one of the most wretched movies I had seen in my life too. I almost walked out at several points during the movie I only didn't because it seemed like the movie took some directions I thought it was interesting. Other things that bother me...

1. The titans. This has to be one of the most disappointing incarnation of the titans there is. I mean as far as I know they are supposed to be giant beasts turns they look like rock men. When I saw them locked inside the cell with their mouths I said f**** it and haven't walked out yet because the movie was almost over. One of my friends was actually banging her head on the chair all the time.

2. The hats. They look ridiculous. Simple as that. I don't care about artistic license, they don't even look remotely Greek. The worst ones had to be Ares, Poseidon and Phaedra's.

3. The final action sequence. While the fight between Gods and Titans looked pleasant, it was intercut with Hyperion and Theseus very much boring fight scene, typical how much he can take fight scene.

#24 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149: The Titans had the potential to redeem the film, and given the fact that Zeus was strong enough to pull down the mountain on them, and all the Gods survived impacts after falling from heaven, swords and knives shouldn't have hurt them. Also where did they get their weapons from? IIRC it didn't show.

#25 Posted by Nefarious (22946 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie didn't live up to my expectations.

#26 Posted by Agent9149 (2868 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat:

@The_Thunderer:

I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way

#27 Posted by Inverno (13292 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149: You are welcome, friend. I actually had high hopes for this movie when I first watched the trailer thinking this might be a badass version of Clash of the Titans. At least Clash of the Titans was much more closer to Greek Mythology than this movie. Many people say this movie is just weak and generic but no, its bad. Its really f***** bad. Its not my worst movie though, but its right there among others.

#28 Posted by Osiris1428 (1347 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie was like a horribly long episode of the Power Rangers. The Greek Gods were the Power Rangers, and the Titans were the Puddies. I was hoping to see God of War meets 300. I got sucky action and really bad acting.

#29 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

1. The titans. This has to be one of the most disappointing incarnation of the titans there is. I mean as far as I know they are supposed to be giant beasts turns they look like rock men. When I saw them locked inside the cell with their mouths I said f**** it and haven't walked out yet because the movie was almost over. One of my friends was actually banging her head on the chair all the time.

That's a misconception. The Titans are simply another tribe of Gods. There should be no real difference between them and the Olympians. Being giant, 'titanic' beasts was a later date idea born out their confusion with the Giants (Gigantes).

Actually, the Titans were part of this movie I felt was pretty accurate to the myth. Because, when you boil it down, the Olympian Gods basically patrons of civilization. They can be jerks, but collectively they maintain order in the universe. Fire, language, writing, knowledge law, everything that separates us from animals came from the gods (One way or another). The titans, the anti-gods, then present chaos, lawlessness, anarchy, absence of civilization. They represent a primitive, barbaric time in which we lived before organized, established structure and hierarchy and made, well, society. So making the titans appear as a bunch of grotesque, chaotic, barely human primitives, as opposed to the clean, shiny and beautiful gods was something I found oddly fitting.

#30 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149: They canceled it because "they didn't have the technology to make the movie the way it's suppose to be".

This would have been the movie poster.

#31 Posted by Inverno (13292 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@CaioTrubat said:

1. The titans. This has to be one of the most disappointing incarnation of the titans there is. I mean as far as I know they are supposed to be giant beasts turns they look like rock men. When I saw them locked inside the cell with their mouths I said f**** it and haven't walked out yet because the movie was almost over. One of my friends was actually banging her head on the chair all the time.

That's a misconception. The Titans are simply another tribe of Gods. There should be no real difference between them and the Olympians. Being giant, 'titanic' beasts was a later date idea born out their confusion with the Giants (Gigantes).

Actually, the Titans were part of this movie I felt was pretty accurate to the myth. Because, when you boil it down, the Olympian Gods basically patrons of civilization. They can be jerks, but collectively they maintain order in the universe. Fire, language, writing, knowledge law, everything that separates us from animals came from the gods (One way or another). The titans, the anti-gods, then present chaos, lawlessness, anarchy, absence of civilization. They represent a primitive, barbaric time in which we lived before organized, established structure and hierarchy and made, well, society. So making the titans appear as a bunch of grotesque, chaotic, barely human primitives, as opposed to the clean, shiny and beautiful gods was something I found oddly fitting.

I am well aware about this while you are correct, I don't think they thought about it when they made this movie because it has very little to do with Greek mythology.

Still prefer the giant monsters though inaccurate as they may be, they are lot more cooler :D

#32 Posted by HolySerpent (12828 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightcrawler: that pic looks sic

#33 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19327 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah... Pretty epic fail,
. Why did the entire movie look like it was shot at night???

#34 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

You're right about the story being weak but I did enjoy the action.

#35 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah I saw the preview and just knew that it was going to be a lame movie....I have no intention of even beginning to attempt to watch it

#36 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

Still prefer the giant monsters though inaccurate as they may be, they are lot more cooler :D

LOL absolute truth.

#37 Posted by Agent9149 (2868 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER: that has peaked my interest