Immortality is great :D

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301  Edited By TotalBalance

@strongarm: There is no proof for their being other universes for starters. Secondarily assuming there are other universes you would not be able to exist in a universe with different physical laws, existence itself as we know it wouldn't even if exist, and you can't exist if existence itself does not even exist. That is of course assuming there even are other universes, and if there are other universes that share our physical laws so that you can exist in them, there sharing of physical laws means they are also bound by a limited number of possible quantum state combinations so once again, you will eventually run out of unique experiences and be stuck in eternally boring repetition. This is once again assuming that there are other universes and that you would somehow be able to get to them.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance: the whole principle of certainty gets thrown out of the box when different means of 'immortality' exist, ranging to those of divine and author rule where reality is not bound by rational scientific theory.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strongarm: None of the immortality types I saw laid out in the OP include the ability to become a divine "entity" just at most a person who is totally impervious to aging and harm but is otherwise still a person. even if you had divine powers of creation though, provided you still remain "you" it would thus follow that you would still be limited by the scope of your consciousness which would eventually end in you running out of original things to create and interact with, thus leading to you once again ending up, eventually, in a state of eternal apathy and boredom.

Paragon_Sean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to be immortal, so long as I can stop existing if I will, or at the very least, restart my existence in a new body. In other words, a failsafe of some kind that allows the immortal in question to phase out of existence or reboot themselves if he/she so chooses would make immortality a much easier burden to bear. Also, how would earth's governments react to the presence of immortals? Would they capture them and perform horrific scientific studies in order to crack the code to immortality, or would they allow them to live like normal citizens? I mean, I am not down with being tortured till the end of human existence. Also, is immortality a divine gift, a curse, or a scientific/biological phenomenon? Are immortals born to guide humanity into a golden era of peace, prosperity, and scientific understanding? What is the point of life if you can't die? Hell, how would you cope with loneliness for all of eternity after the human race has destroyed itself? A lot of questions need answering before I decide whether or not I want to be an immortal.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vandal Savage will eventually dedicate his life into finding a way to kill himself, just like Cyborg Superman.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

As sick as it might sound, I get a rush out of doing things I know can end badly. Skydiving, motorcycling, fighting: the adrenaline rush is in the danger for me. Hell even my job, as Winston Churchill once said: "Nothing is so invigorating as being shot at without result". I do not want to die, nor am I suicidal, but I get a rush from fear and danger.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It is said that Electrons have an infinite memory, and thus since no matter can simply disappear, everyone is immortal in a sense.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I never see the "t" in the main page of the off topic forums page. I thought you were saying immorality is great.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_:

He's too happy living forever and scheming, unless a writer got him to be suddenly off-character or introduce new weaknesses like eating own descendant to live forever.

@warlock360:

That is a good thought

@granitesoldier:

I do not want to die, nor am I suicidal, but I get a rush from fear and danger.

WIth immortality the first part would not be a problem at all

@thespideyguy: Type VII and Type 0

None of the immortality types I saw laid out in the OP include the ability to become a divine "entity" just at most a person who is totally impervious to aging and harm but is otherwise still a person.

Nope, read all of it again

Boredom that can be tampered with drugs, tinkering and tech. One 'person' can do a lot in the scope of a day, multiply that by infinity and it becomes endless.

@totalbalance: It is the same thing with any topic regarding immortality

here is formula

most people go cynic and pessimistic from the get go, they say : BAD

when other people have different viewpoint to say GOOD they get debated to be : BAD

even though the goal is for people to say why it is GOOD

I say it is awesome

I want to be space jesus on LSD

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strongarm: He'll eventually get bitter and bored.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_: Only in DCAU afterwords when all other humans are accidentally killed by him, in DC one million he is still alive and kicking.

plus superhero world is more funner than ours

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strongarm: The only thing I am arguing is that eventually you would get bored and hence immortality would be great if you could end it but if you couldn't end it you would eventually end up in a state of permanent boredom and apathy. I've always thought that immortality and peoples quest for it is just a reaction to our fear of death. I mean among the earliest pieces of literature such as the Epic of Gilgamesh, what is the topic, immortality. It is certainly an interesting topic though.

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance: there are the choices of the immortality that you can end, it is not limited to the healing factor/no aging/contractual obligation thing.

It is but it has many errors, like when he received the grass/leaves of eternal life which he left elsewhere as he took the bath. Unsurprisingly it got stolen and he cried, he could not even defeat sleep like the survivor of the great deluge. In his massive failure he claimed at the end to be immortal in legacy, the high point of the entire saga is his friendship with enkidu and how they fought the gods (Inanna/Ishtar) by chaining the heaven's bull before ignoring her lust.

In a way most religions ends with immortality in another place, whether it is hell or paradise or something else where life goes on.

But at least I know you like the type that you can 'turn off' at will

nishi99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers