Immortality is great :D

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

@mrdecepticonleader: That way I will never get bored as I experience life through a whole lot of perspectives, I can change my race, my age, my gender and even social standing.

PartialSanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By PartialSanity

Immortality is a tricky business. The only thing that gives any meaning to our lives as we stand is that we set out a path for ourselves, knowing that we could kick the proverbial bucket at any given moment. With immortality, especially perfect immortality, life would end up losing all real meaning. You could complete everything you could ever imagine, anything you set out to do, and time will keep on going. You could see the best and the worst that humanity has to offer, and time will still keep on going. Even after you've seen everything there is to see, experience everything you could possibly experience, time will keep on going.

Thinking immortality would be awesome seems normal, but only because there's no real way to know whether it is actually good or not in the long-run. The same could be counter-argued, that we don't know it would actually be bad, which would be a fine argument.

Immortality seems fun on paper, but that's because the concept of forever cannot be easily grasped, given our limited perception of time. To last forever would drive anybody insane, because even if you focus your life on adventures, having fun, or anything of the sort, there's only so many things you will be able to do.

If you've ever found yourself sitting at home trying to find something to entertain yourself with, immortality is probably not for you. If you've never found yourself in a situation where you were bored, immortality might be good for you... maybe?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By z3ro180

@nerx: I'm immortal Ivan do anything :D

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@partialsanity: what type is your favorite and what type is your least favorite

The only thing that gives any meaning to our lives as we stand is that we set out a path for ourselves, knowing that we could kick the proverbial bucket at any given moment. With immortality, especially perfect immortality, life will would end up losing all real meaning.

Heavily disagree with this one, but it is true in the fact that it is our current limitation that was carried over from our ancestors and how they have learned to accept its presence. However like the common cold and cholera it will be another one of those trivial things.

You could complete everything you could ever imagine, anything you set out to do, and time will keep on going.

Not everything, some of us have impossible dreams. Immortality is only a stepping stone to reach higher ambitions, it is not the end goal.

You could see the best and the worst that humanity has to offer, and time will still keep on going.

Why settle with humanity?

Even after you've seen everything there is to see, experience everything you could possibly experience, time will keep on going.

It is impossible to see and experience it all, there is only so much a 'human' can do even when given immortality

To last forever, would drive anybody insane, because even if you focus your life on adventures, having fun, or anything of the sort, there's only so many things you will be able to do.

Agreed, hence it is time to use immortality to jump on the next step for humans to transcend

If you've ever found yourself sitting at home trying to find something to entertain yourself with, immortality is probably not for you.

It feeds on curiousity

If you've never found yourself in a situation where you were bored, immortality might be good for you... maybe?

It can be good, try reading the links on the opening post

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@nerx: I'm immortal Ivan do anything :D

Atheists can finally work their asses to find god and kill it :)

Or you can make the biggest cake ever

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@mrdecepticonleader: If based on plot in a way that it can be alter by other people I would rather have parasitic and jump around to hijack other people's bodies.

I see.

I almost forgot how much I enjoyed the Parasite manga series. Oh that's definitely the ones that's on the top of my list.

@nerx said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Hell yeah, also I would add a 'how' since when I die I want to explode into sunrise and smell like rainbows.

And than when you return to the village someday, you're greeted by angry villagers from their ancestor with torches and pitchfork. They were raised with the tale of exploding light and insane colors that'd wiped out half of the village when you died.

@deadite said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@deadite: What as in say if Batman was real he would be immortal or have longevity because his character has received that?

It would be hard to measure, but I tried debating for Deadpool in this perspective before, it's when I first joined Comic Vine, I tried to argue that Deadpool can take Spiderman if you consider he can break the 4th wall. I'm not sure if I still would like to debate battle in this perspective.

But to have Batman in our world with his plot-elements actually in the action would be really cool.

The idea is he would be immortal, unless someone finds a way to remove these elements from him. It could be in his speech, his movement. Maybe when he stops talking, stops moving, or goes to sleep, is when the effect will hibernates.

And you can catch shades of his reality fabric in between his action through regular human's eyes.

Ha that is an interesting concept regarding the 4th wall.

It would.

So he would still exist in the comics as well but also be in our world? Or would he live in a comic book and he would break that fourth wall and that is how we could see him?

I don't know if he should still co-exist in both paper and our world at that point. To have abstract things come to life, I'd think there's probably little to no boarder between our world and the abstract. To the extreme, there'd probably be no paper, things would just melt through. A lot of things in our life, like chairs, table, would be simplified construct that's harder to get manipulated. They'd have to be easy to ignore, more so than what we have now.

Yes, I'm surprise how much mumble jumbo is inside of me XD

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nerx said:

@mrdecepticonleader: That way I will never get bored as I experience life through a whole lot of perspectives, I can change my race, my age, my gender and even social standing.

Ha ha I guess you could

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadite said:

@nerx said:

@mrdecepticonleader: If based on plot in a way that it can be alter by other people I would rather have parasitic and jump around to hijack other people's bodies.

I see.

I almost forgot how much I enjoyed the Parasite manga series. Oh that's definitely the ones that's on the top of my list.

@nerx said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Hell yeah, also I would add a 'how' since when I die I want to explode into sunrise and smell like rainbows.

And than when you return to the village someday, you're greeted by angry villagers from their ancestor with torches and pitchfork. They were raised with the tale of exploding light and insane colors that'd wiped out half of the village when you died.

@deadite said:

@deadite: What as in say if Batman was real he would be immortal or have longevity because his character has received that?

It would be hard to measure, but I tried debating for Deadpool in this perspective before, it's when I first joined Comic Vine, I tried to argue that Deadpool can take Spiderman if you consider he can break the 4th wall. I'm not sure if I still would like to debate battle in this perspective.

But to have Batman in our world with his plot-elements actually in the action would be really cool.

The idea is he would be immortal, unless someone finds a way to remove these elements from him. It could be in his speech, his movement. Maybe when he stops talking, stops moving, or goes to sleep, is when the effect will hibernates.

And you can catch shades of his reality fabric in between his action through regular human's eyes.

Ha that is an interesting concept regarding the 4th wall.

It would.

So he would still exist in the comics as well but also be in our world? Or would he live in a comic book and he would break that fourth wall and that is how we could see him?

I don't know if he should still co-exist in both paper and our world at that point. To have abstract things come to life, I'd think there's probably little to no boarder between our world and the abstract. To the extreme, there'd probably be no paper, things would just melt through. A lot of things in our life, like chairs, table, would be simplified construct that's harder to get manipulated. They'd have to be easy to ignore, more so than what we have now.

Yes, I'm surprise how much mumble jumbo is inside of me XD

Wow that is a really freaky and creative idea I love it!

Damn you have a spectacular imagination.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Deadite

Thank you for that xD This makes me want to sit down and write and write until I get something done.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Deadite

@nerx said:

@deadite:

the power or penorhand

I don't quite understand.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadite said:

Thank you for that xD This makes me want to sit down and write and write until I get something done.

You should it would make a great story.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadite: from the manga, where he turns his hand into a d_ck

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: Or a member of the royal family you would be set for life :)

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: Imagine starting a riot then hopping between police officers and demonstrators to cause chaos :)

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#116 BumpyBoo  Moderator

I wouldn't wanna live forever. But I don't wanna die either :/ Guess you just can't please some people XD

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Deadite

@nerx said:

Ha, I remember that. It's from the early chapters. Nice to meet someone that'd read Parasite (:

Over the years, I began to compute that my problem with my writing is the plot development and character progression. I basically gave zero thought into this when I first started writing. It's harder than I thought once I actually know the problem. I'm basically fixated on everyone's plot development when I read their story now.

I was gobbling up your story's plot when I read it (:

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadite: Hijacking animals will be rad

@bumpyboo said:

I wouldn't wanna live forever. But I don't wanna die either :/ Guess you just can't please some people XD

Which of the types do you like most boo?

and which of them do you not like?

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#119  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@nerx said:

@bumpyboo said:

Which of the types do you like most boo?

and which of them do you not like?

I think the regenerative/ressurective types are pretty cool, you could be the highest paid stuntman EVER with those kinds of powers ^_^
But I don't like the idea of the vampiric and parasitic types, that seems properly mean. Cool in fiction, but no way to live.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Deadite

@nerx said:

In what method? It's a good one.

To be able to hijack carcasses and actually makes it physically more powerful would be amazing. That brings us to Evil Dead somewhat.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Nerx

@bumpyboo:

I think the regenerative/ressurective types are pretty cool, you could be the highest paid stuntman EVER with those kinds of powers ^_^

A stuntman or a professional athlete and do gigs in Guiness/Ripleys

But I don't like the idea of the vampiric and parasitic types, that seems properly mean. Cool in fiction, but no way to live.

You'd make a cool secret agent though, I think parasitic would be rad in espionage

@deadite:

Parasitic or reincarnation, Imagine being reborn as a proud eagle or as a lion king of the jungle

Lol, who would not want to zombify once in a while

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Deadite
@nerx said:

@deadite:

Parasitic or reincarnation, Imagine being reborn as a proud eagle or as a lion king of the jungle

Lol, who would not want to zombify once in a while

One of the animal I would like to be is Crocodiles, they're like the tank that's hard to get taken out in the animal world. It's not the top of my list, but it's there, like if I'm getting cursed and have to take an animal's form for life, I'll choose Crocodile to be safe.

Eagles and animals that runs really fast would be nice.

Gargoyles is cool too, among the creatures of the unnatural. After watching some episodes from the Gargoyles, recently, I can see myself nerdraging for Gargoyles in the future.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Nerx

@deadite:

One of the animal I would like to be is Crocodiles, they're like the tank that's hard to get taken out in the animal world. It's not the top of my list, but it's there, like if I'm getting cursed and have to take an animal's form for life, I'll choose Crocodile to be safe.

I want to be a shark and eat surfers :)

Peregrine falcon and cheetah for fastest air ,followed by fastest land

Gargoyles is cool too, among the creatures of the unnatural. After watching some episodes from the Gargoyles, recently, I can see myself nerdraging for Gargoyles in the future.

Bro I watched the entire series off youtube, xanatos is boss and also macbeth along with demona are immortal

PartialSanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@partialsanity: what type is your favorite and what type is your least favorite

The only thing that gives any meaning to our lives as we stand is that we set out a path for ourselves, knowing that we could kick the proverbial bucket at any given moment. With immortality, especially perfect immortality, life will would end up losing all real meaning.

Heavily disagree with this one, but it is true in the fact that it is our current limitation that was carried over from our ancestors and how they have learned to accept its presence. However like the common cold and cholera it will be another one of those trivial things.

You could complete everything you could ever imagine, anything you set out to do, and time will keep on going.

Not everything, some of us have impossible dreams. Immortality is only a stepping stone to reach higher ambitions, it is not the end goal.

You could see the best and the worst that humanity has to offer, and time will still keep on going.

Why settle with humanity?

Even after you've seen everything there is to see, experience everything you could possibly experience, time will keep on going.

It is impossible to see and experience it all, there is only so much a 'human' can do even when given immortality

To last forever, would drive anybody insane, because even if you focus your life on adventures, having fun, or anything of the sort, there's only so many things you will be able to do.

Agreed, hence it is time to use immortality to jump on the next step for humans to transcend

If you've ever found yourself sitting at home trying to find something to entertain yourself with, immortality is probably not for you.

It feeds on curiousity

If you've never found yourself in a situation where you were bored, immortality might be good for you... maybe?

It can be good, try reading the links on the opening post

There's many things I want to address here, even though I don't really want to form a debate here. I'll go point by point to explain you what I meant, to try and understand some of the things you meant, and to try to reach a middle ground of understanding.

• When I said that life would lose all meaning, it was in a more defined nature. Life wouldn't be life without death, it would be existence. If you cannot die, then you would just simply exist.
  • I don't understand how having impossible goals solves anything, impossible is impossible. Unless you mean impossible because your lifespan wouldn't allow it. If it is to reach unprecedented heights, which is fine, there would have to be a plateau at some point, after all we're talking about forever here.
  • What would be the alternative?
  • Again, what's the alternative? But, thank you for mentioning that we'd run out of things to do.
  • Transcend to what?
  • ?
  • Yea. It could be good, could be bad. This is one of those things where you can't know until you have a way of knowing. I read some of those articles, and while I appreciate philosophy, it is mostly speculation and wishful thinking.

Now, I'm not saying that immortality is bad, I have no real way of knowing that, I'm just saying that I don't think its all its cracked up to be. While reading the one from Max More, I couldn't help laughing out loud at the point where he says that if we decide that there's nothing else left, you could kill yourself. That's pretty mental, especially when trying to sell immortality to people. He at another point says something about "We can always make new games." which really surprised me, because the implication would be that you're now immortal and get to play new games forever?

This is why philosophy, even with the progressive thinkers, wouldn't help us at all understand what forever actually entails. In regards to that, try to recall a moment in time where it felt like forever. Maybe you were waiting in a line or something, now imagine that that moment was exactly it, that's your life now, forever, except you'll get the option to kill yourself when you've had enough. Most moments in life that have ever been perceived as taking forever, are tied with negative events.

Also our perception of time would become so horrible after a while, because even the most interesting people have to perform certain tasks over and over again. The alternative would be to change whatever it is you do every so often, which is fine in its own merit, but this is something that you'd have to do only to not go insane.

I would dread if everyone was immortal, waiting in lines would suck so bad.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@partialsanity: so which types do you like and which types do you not like?

When I said that life would lose all meaning, it was in a more defined nature. Life wouldn't be life without death, it would be existence. If you cannot die, then you would just simply exist.

At least you don't use religion as backing, natural order is interesting. But with a new perspective life will change, society would not immediately collapse because we live forever.

Unless you mean impossible because your lifespan wouldn't allow it. If it is to reach unprecedented heights, which is fine, there would have to be a plateau at some point, after all we're talking about forever here.

that and impossible because of human fragility

Again, what's the alternative? But, thank you for mentioning that we'd run out of things to do.

Check the types, then again most of the arguments of Immortality only limit themselves to a purely realistic/earth based context

Transcend to what?

higher beings

I read some of those articles, and while I appreciate philosophy, it is mostly speculation and wishful thinking.

that is the point of this thread

Now, I'm not saying that immortality is bad, I have no real way of knowing that, I'm just saying that I don't think its all its cracked up to be.

Most of us happen to be mortal, so we do not know for sure.

In regards to that, try to recall a moment in time where it

felt

like forever.

The problem is that nothing feels close to forever

Also our perception of time would become so horrible after a while, because even the most interesting people have to perform certain tasks over and over again.

Depends on the form of immortality, plenty are mentioned in opening post

[not from cracked article right?]

I would dread if everyone was immortal, waiting in lines would suck so bad.

There will be new things in the far future

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadite said:

@nerx said:

Ha, I remember that. It's from the early chapters. Nice to meet someone that'd read Parasite (:

Over the years, I began to compute that my problem with my writing is the plot development and character progression. I basically gave zero thought into this when I first started writing. It's harder than I thought once I actually know the problem. I'm basically fixated on everyone's plot development when I read their story now.

I was gobbling up your story's plot when I read it (:

Ha thanks.

Yeah I can relate that it can be hard to know at times in that where you want a story to go and how/if/which characters you develop. There are ways around and learning how to deal with it though.

@nerx Ha how odd.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: Nah me and God would be bros :P and I would bake the biggest cake :)

PartialSanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: Type VIII: Legacy. That seems to be the most interesting one to me. And, no, I wouldn't be able to pose any religious counter-argument at all, as I am not religious. I just like the concept of a finite life, that's all. I believe this is my last post for today, at least tomorrow I'll hit 25 posts and no longer be limited. Anyway, have a nice day.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Nerx

@partialsanity: That is neat, so how would you like to be remembered as?

thanks for the non-religion

kudos for the nice convo :)

@z3ro180:

how big would your biggest cake be?

@mrdecepticonleader

It is fun, abusing power that is

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: the size of the universe x109374652

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha thanks.

Yeah I can relate that it can be hard to know at times in that where you want a story to go and how/if/which characters you develop. There are ways around and learning how to deal with it though.

I would love to get some suggestions from you.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Sounds awesome, what kind of cake?

I want to make a vest from God's beard

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadite said:

Ha thanks.

I would love to get some suggestions from you.

Um okay I will reply in a PM as to not derail this thread.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Deadite

@nerx said:

@deadite:

I want to be a shark and eat surfers :)

Peregrine falcon and cheetah for fastest air ,followed by fastest land

Bro I watched the entire series off youtube, xanatos is boss and also macbeth along with demona are immortal

I burned the entire series onto DVD off the internet. That's why I haven't watched the whole series yet. I made my home brewed copy because I realized the collection is hard to find.

Wouldn't that be considered cannibalism given that your mind is human?

I think Gargoyles should join the Big 4 on the Unnatural creature list, there's so much potential for them, werewolf just dropped from number 4 to number 5 on my list.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Nerx

@deadite:

But isn't the mind a plaything of the body? Also I always wanted to try human, but for legal constraints that is hard :(

but If I have powers doing such things will be easier

In mythology they are water dragons and holy protectors, that is badass. I wonder if they can be given a golem charm so they can walk during the day.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not dying is an awesome power.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Deadite

@nerx said:

@deadite:

But isn't the mind a plaything of the body? Also I always wanted to try human, but for legal constraints that is hard :(

but If I have powers doing such things will be easier

In mythology they are water dragons and holy protectors, that is badass. I wonder if they can be given a golem charm so they can walk during the day.

I thought it's the other way around. Body is what makes the mind exposed though.

I don't know what a golem charm is but it sounds awesome. LOL. Golem is a good one, I always forget to read up on it and I've seen its incarnation in video games and tv series like Supernatural, Diablo 2, Tactics Arena, most recently from Supernatural.

I really need to read more on how Gargoyle's curse works, is it generally believed that they come to life during night and turns to stone in the day?

If they still constitutes of stones even when they're awake, stones that allows them to behave lively, that ought to make them a real war horse during a siege battle. If they're actually in this form, they can't bleed, and they can't get their organs damaged.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Nerx

@deadite:

When you are drunk the alcohol will move up to your mind

Not to mention having a gargoyle mate with a gorgon will be rad

That is the gist of it, also a form of pseudo-immortality. Imagine hiring a sculptor to modify your appearances

Better yet, have a mage to enchant the stone with properties

It almost reminds me of cryptobiosis , like tardigrades

Loading Video...

@racob7:

what kind of immortality from the list do you like/dislike?

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So comicbook characters are Type 0 then...Anyway depending on what form of Immortality I'd take it.Like if I was stuck in my peak then yeah I'd digg it

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Nerx
Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nerx: Type I- III no question

Type 4 depending who I do it.Do I do the Captian America way i.e come back the in the state I was in before I was killed or the Hao Asakura way wait 500 year and resurrected as a baby with my intelligence.The Latter being the undesirable method.

Type 5 is a zombie ...so no

Type 6 no...just no

Type 7 . I'd take this on too ..just stay away from priests

Type 8 IDK history tend to get warp and I don't want to be remembered I WANT TO LIVE *robin face*

Type 9 That a douchey way to live...but would I do it ...yea

Type 10 see Type 9 and as long as I don't have to kill anyone

Type 0 Since God isn't known for given his character all happy stories I wouldn't want this one.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's obviously a terrible thing, what will you do in a billion or so years when the sun engulfs the earth and you're left floating through space for the rest of eternity?

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#143  Edited By Bruxae

How fun does this sound? Id really recommend reading the full thing, if nothing else its an intresting thought.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Nerx
KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By KnightRise

Well, I'm a 20 year old community college student working a slightly above minimum wage job with a pechant for drugs, alcohol, and comicbooks, so I'd probably spend eternity equal to-or-less motivated than I am now. Why do anything when I can do anything at any time ever? I COULD NAP FOR ENTERNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: Dat Powersleep

Why do anything when I can do anything at any time ever?

expiration dates [like the twinkie] and once in a human lifespan opportunities that change with every generation

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I wouldn't want to live forever ^-^

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Nerx
Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: Now that I've seen that I'm liking the whole water bear idea.

PS: That used to be my favorite show.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers