Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#151  Edited By Mercy_
@geraldthesloth said:
" Words are words, why people get offended by anything is beyond me. "
I think that, as stated earlier, it's more the intent behind the word than the actual word itself.
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#152  Edited By sexy_merc

I call my friends gay sometimes but I don't mean that they're homosexuals. I called some of my friends jokingly, pieces of s**t, but obviously they aren't. I've said "f**k you" to my friends before but I obviously don't want them to you know. It's definitely what you're aiming for with the word. You can call an old black person the N Word and they would most likely be offended but if you say it to a white person, they shouldn't be as offended, or offended at all for that matter.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By hdorman1
@nilmandir: fag originated for a term used to describe first year english school boys that had to serve elder years (prefects etc) 
it was used as term of for the same meaning as underling  
also 
homosexuality was in common these school (more like rape, as the ones often on the receiving end werent homosexual, and sometimes the boys giving werent homosexual either{think shawshank}) 
thats what i thought anyway
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#154  Edited By geraldthesloth
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
I think that, as stated earlier, it's more the intent behind the word than the actual word itself. "
Different people have different intents, half of the fights over name calling start because someone took it the wrong way because they where having a bad day and decide to take it out on others.
shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#155  Edited By shanana

I'm Amazed, how people can live life now, and not expect the least bit persecution.

Is it wrong
yes hell yes!

Will it stop?

No

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#156  Edited By Magian
@Jake Fury said:
" I always find its much more rewarding to insult people NOT using curse words or derogatory racist terms. "
I agree.
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I say 'that's so gay' all the time.
Sue me.

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Vance Astro said:

" So let me get this straight.Because I didn't live when there was segregation or slavery...I have not only never had the n-word used negatively against me but I have not had to deal with any hardships because of the color of my skin? I just want to make sure this is what you're actually saying before I really respond to this.

You think I've never experienced racism? The area I live in is 55% non-white, believe me, I have. However, I can see the difference between some random idiots spouting out hate and institutionalized racism. And I can say with almost certainty that you have not experienced true institutionalized racism the way that other generations have. If you had people beating and whipping you whilst calling you nigger, I'm fairly sure you wouldn't consider it "A term of endearment"  

If someone who has been through all that says to me he has a right to say the word then I'll go with that. You however have not and do not (At least no more of a right than anyone else alive today) And when you say you can use the word simply because you're black, it's a slap in the face for the people that actually did go through that s*#t and actually did struggle to change things so that you can sit in a warm house, on the internet comparing your "hardships" to theirs.

You may have been called it by some ignorant p%#*k, but not by any body with real authority. no one is going to stop you going for a job because you're black, no one is going to stop you going out with who you like because you're black, no one is going to stop you living where you want because you're black. Really the list of what you can do that your great grandparents couldn't goes on and on. So don't pretend that you're some persecuted minority, it smacks of self-pity. 

Just because you're white doesn't mean you're Jewish and has nothing do with a racial slur so that's just another ridiculous comparison.It's almost as if you're acting like people don't still use the word negatively RIGHT NOW! EDIT:There are Jewish people who aren't even white.That makes that comparison even more ridiculous. "

Actually it's a perfect comparison for what you were saying. My great uncle died in Auschwitz, going by what you've been saying simply being related to someone who's gone through that s*#t puts me in the same boat.  Also note I said Polish Jews, yes there are black Jews, but not in 1930's era Poland (perhaps I'm wrong on this, but I've certainly never heard of any in fact, Black people in Poland seem to be incredibly rare even now.)  

So let me get this straight, A Muslim man who speaks English  living in London and a Christian man who speaks Spanish living in Madrid are connected because they're black. But an agnostic man who speaks English living in London and a Jewish man who speaks Polish and  lives in Warsaw are not connected  by being white....i guess this is another one of those double standards, AKA hypocrisy.  

Either way, this is getting very old. Clearly we agree that there is a double standard. Clearly we differ in that I don't think it's an acceptable double standard and you do. Clearly we're not going to come to an agreement, so I'm about ready to wrap it up. If you've got anything to add go ahead, but I'll probably only reply through pm's if at all. 

@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Do I have to give a name?: Whiteboy you must be crazy "
If you have something constructive to add I'll gladly respond to it.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#159  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Do I have to give a name? said:
" @Vance Astro said:

" So let me get this straight.Because I didn't live when there was segregation or slavery...I have not only never had the n-word used negatively against me but I have not had to deal with any hardships because of the color of my skin? I just want to make sure this is what you're actually saying before I really respond to this.

You think I've never experienced racism? The area I live in is 55% non-white, believe me, I have. However, I can see the difference between some random idiots spouting out hate and institutionalized racism. And I can say with almost certainty that you have not experienced true institutionalized racism the way that other generations have. If you had people beating and whipping you whilst calling you nigger, I'm fairly sure you wouldn't consider it "A term of endearment"  

If someone who has been through all that says to me he has a right to say the word then I'll go with that. You however have not and do not (At least no more of a right than anyone else alive today) And when you say you can use the word simply because you're black, it's a slap in the face for the people that actually did go through that s*#t and actually did struggle to change things so that you can sit in a warm house, on the internet comparing your "hardships" to theirs.

You may have been called it by some ignorant p%#*k, but not by any body with real authority. no one is going to stop you going for a job because you're black, no one is going to stop you going out with who you like because you're black, no one is going to stop you living where you want because you're black. Really the list of what you can do that your great grandparents couldn't goes on and on. So don't pretend that you're some persecuted minority, it smacks of self-pity. 

Just because you're white doesn't mean you're Jewish and has nothing do with a racial slur so that's just another ridiculous comparison.It's almost as if you're acting like people don't still use the word negatively RIGHT NOW! EDIT:There are Jewish people who aren't even white.That makes that comparison even more ridiculous. "

Actually it's a perfect comparison for what you were saying. My great uncle died in Auschwitz, going by what you've been saying simply being related to someone who's gone through that s*#t puts me in the same boat.  Also note I said Polish Jews, yes there are black Jews, but not in 1930's era Poland (perhaps I'm wrong on this, but I've certainly never heard of any in fact, Black people in Poland seem to be incredibly rare even now.)  

So let me get this straight, A Muslim man who speaks English  living in London and a Christian man who speaks Spanish living in Madrid are connected because they're black. But an agnostic man who speaks English living in London and a Jewish man who speaks Polish and  lives in Warsaw are not connected  by being white....i guess this is another one of those double standards, AKA hypocrisy.  

Either way, this is getting very old. Clearly we agree that there is a double standard. Clearly we differ in that I don't think it's an acceptable double standard and you do. Clearly we're not going to come to an agreement, so I'm about ready to wrap it up. If you've got anything to add go ahead, but I'll probably only reply through pm's if at all. 

How can you say such ridiculous things and then try to jump out of the conversation.Half of the stuff you posted has nothing to do with my post or the topic.You're going off on tangents that have nothing to do with anything. 

Nobody said you never experienced racism.That's the first thing that has nothing to do with my post. 
Secondly you're PRETENDING institutionalized racism doesn't still exist. 
Slavery shouldn't have even been brought up.I was born in 86' slavery doesn't have sh#t to do with me.Using the N-word as a term of endearment started closer to my generation.It's supposed to be a sign that the word doesn't bother us and that we've gotten over it.But somewhere down the line the purpose of it's use has gotten misconstrued. 

Why the hell you think I have to have been through slavery or segregation to have any valid outlook on the use of the word is beyond me.They will obviously have a different opinion on the word because they are part of a generation who had to hear it used negatively. 

Don't tell me that i've never had anything withheld from me in my life because of the color of my skin because you have no idea.I don't have to run down my life story.I don't know what country you live in where racial profiling and racial inequality are a thing of the past but none of this nonsense you are saying about jobs,dating,living arrangements..that all false and I know from personal experience. 

The rest of your post clearly suggests you are only skimming my posts and have distorted my stance on the word.I have never said that I am ALLOWED to say the word because i'm black.I said it's more socially acceptable among black people.I said more than once that it's just a word and I personally don't care who uses it.I don't think any words in the english language should be taboo for anyone.I never once compared MY hardships to anyone elses, the only reason I even mentioned hardships is because of your BS off -topic rant about slavery and other nonsense that has nothing to do with the issue. 

Your comparison about Jews IS ridiculous because we are not comparing who went through what.All I said was that the n-word is negative to ALL black people.How that turned into a comparison of who struggles the most is beyond me.I'm not even addressing your other ridiculous comparison.I don't even know what you're trying to say.

Your final statement about thinking double standards are acceptable.Another thing that proves you haven't even been reading my posts.I never once said the double standard was acceptable.It also has 0 to do with why I personally use the word.All I was doing was explaining to you WHY white people cannot say it as far a in the media or around black people.I'm not TRYING to convince you of anything so there isn't any agreement to come to.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#160  Edited By Mercy_
@geraldthesloth said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
I think that, as stated earlier, it's more the intent behind the word than the actual word itself. "
Different people have different intents, half of the fights over name calling start because someone took it the wrong way because they where having a bad day and decide to take it out on others. "
I agree.
xscarletkittie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#161  Edited By xscarletkittie

Eh, I don't really care much about such words. I don't necessarily use them, but I don't get up in arms over it. What really gets my goat, though, is when one group will get offended by a word, but then speak negatively of or completely disregard another group when they get offended by a word that has the same negative undertones for them. 

But yes, I am of the opinion that they are just words, it's the intent behind them that can cause issues. Oh, and people need to stop being so sensitive. Sheesh!

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xscarletkittie said:
"Eh, I don't really care much about such words. I don't necessarily use them, but I don't get up in arms over it. What really gets my goat, though, is when one group will get offended by a word, but then speak negatively of or completely disregard another group when they get offended by a word that has the same negative undertones for them.   But yes, I am of the opinion that they are just words, it's the intent behind them that can cause issues. Oh, and people need to stop being so sensitive. Sheesh! "

^Agree with the above

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:

How can you say such ridiculous things and then try to jump out of the conversation.Half of the stuff you posted has nothing to do with my post or the topic.You're going off on tangents that have nothing to do with anything.    
Because it has become incredibly boring and reminds me of an endless game of pong. 

Nobody said you never experienced racism.That's the first thing that has nothing to do with my post.   

No, but the way you started your previous post   " So let me get this straight.Because I didn't live when there was segregation or slavery...I have not only never had the n-word used negatively against me but I have not had to deal with any hardships because of the color of my skin?   Heavily implies that (due to your skin colour) you've been through things I couldn't possibly understand. 

Secondly you're PRETENDING institutionalized racism doesn't still exist.   

Got some examples?   

Slavery shouldn't have even been brought up

Actually I agree with you here. It came up because I was talking about the words original meanings, you said you didn't care about the original meaning because it had been used for so long to describe black people. I said that Governments haven't used it as an official word for black people since slavery, you then went on about segregation. like it or not, that was a 2 man tangent.

I was born in 86' slavery doesn't have sh#t to do with me.Using the N-word as a term of endearment started closer to my generation.It's supposed to be a sign that the word doesn't bother us and that we've gotten over it.  

Exactly. A sign that you've gotten over it, but you had nothing to get over, by your own admission " They will obviously have a different opinion on the word because they are part of a generation who had to hear it used negatively."  You didn't have the hardships so whether you like it or not you're views on the word are no more (or less) valid than mine. Where as I would consider the views of those who did go through it to be more important than either of ours.

Don't tell me that i've never had anything withheld from me in my life because of the color of my skin because you have no idea. 

I'm sure you have. I know I have. I also know discriminating in that way is completely illegal and is the exception rather than the rule. 

I don't have to run down my life story.I don't know what country you live in where racial profiling and racial inequality are a thing of the past but none of this nonsense you are saying about jobs,dating,living arrangements..that all false and I know from personal experience. 

So did the guy say to you "We're not going to offer you this job because you're black." Or is that just why you assume you didn't get it? Did the estate agent say to you "Sorry, whites only."? Because if so, you should of reported them. Did the girl say "I don't date black guys"? ....Actually, I could quite believe that, We've all been there.  

Oh and England. It's far from perfect but race isn't even 1/20th of the issue it seems to be for you guys.

Your comparison about Jews IS ridiculous because we are not comparing who went through what.All I said was that the n-word is negative to ALL black people.How that turned into a comparison of who struggles the most is beyond me.  

My comparison was simply pointing out the fact that (regardless of skin colour) someone like you who considers it a term of endearment will not have the same feeling on the word as someone who has been subjugated with it. And that just because you're black doesn't mean it will affect you in the same way that it would that person. Same as I'm not necessarily going to be affected by bad stuff/words that has happened/been said to other white people (In this case a member of my family, so like it or not, it is a valid comparison.) 

"I'm not even addressing your other ridiculous comparison.I don't even know what you're trying to say. "

So you don't understand it, yet you assume it's ridiculous? Well, allow me to explain. Earlier on I stated that black people aren't all one culture and to label them as a single race who were somehow connected was a false concept. You replied that  "You're playing semantics with black not being a race.It does describe a group of people. We are both human but you're not black I AM." 

then when I later made a comparison about hardships that other white people have gone through and how they don't really relate to me you said: " Just because you're white doesn't mean you're Jewish and has nothing do with a racial slur so that's just another ridiculous comparison." So I was highlighting the fact that religion, geography etc seem to have no bearing with you and that you seem to consider black people to be connected regardless of anything else. Yet you don't seem to extend that philosophy to white people. Simple really. 

Your final statement about thinking double standards are acceptable.Another thing that proves you haven't even been reading my posts.I never once said the double standard was acceptable.

Actually.....   @Vance Astro said: 

Black people being able to use the word and other people not being able to use the word is an accepted double standard.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
 No, but the way you started your previous post   " So let me get this straight.Because I didn't live when there was segregation or slavery...I have not only never had the n-word used negatively against me but I have not had to deal with any hardships because of the color of my skin?   Heavily implies that (due to your skin colour) you've been through things I couldn't possibly understand. 
"
I don't know how you get that implication.The n-word is a racial slur that is negative toward black people no matter when they were born.My response was in light of you acting as if I've never been through or experienced racism.I wasn't lumping myself with slaves or anyone else.

Got some examples?   
Racial Profiling for starters.There are tons of race related accounts that have cost people their lives just dealing with the Police force in the U.S 

Actually I agree with you here. It came up because I was talking about the words original meanings, you said you didn't care about the original meaning because it had been used for so long to describe black people. I said that Governments haven't used it as an official word for black people since slavery, you then went on about segregation. like it or not, that was a 2 man tangent.
"
What does the original meaning have to do with now though? The U.S Government HAS used an official word for black people since Slavery..we were called "COLORED".Look it up. 

Exactly. A sign that you've gotten over it, but you had nothing to get over, by your own admission " They will obviously have a different opinion on the word because they are part of a generation who had to hear it used negatively."  You didn't have the hardships so whether you like it or not you're views on the word are no more (or less) valid than mine. Where as I would consider the views of those who did go through it to be more important than either of ours.

Don't tell me that i've never had anything withheld from me in my life because of the color of my skin because you have no idea. 

I'm sure you have. I know I have. I also know discriminating in that way is completely illegal and is the exception rather than the rule. 

I'm pretty sure I used the words "us" and "we".My generation didn't start using the word as a term of endearment.People closer to the 50's (segregation) did.And THEY had to deal with it.My reasoning for saying it has nothing to do with getting over hardships or race.I again, was only explaining to you how it's use got started. 

So did the guy say to you "We're not going to offer you this job because you're black." Or is that just why you assume you didn't get it? Did the estate agent say to you "Sorry, whites only."? Because if so, you should of reported them. Did the girl say "I don't date black guys"? ....Actually, I could quite believe that, We've all been there.  

Oh and England. It's far from perfect but race isn't even 1/20th of the issue it seems to be for you guys.
"
No..that doesn't have to happen.The American government set it up so that certain black people aren't will never be qualified for good jobs so that when they are denied jobs we can't blame the employers decision on skin color.

Actually.....   @Vance Astro said: 

Black people being able to use the word and other people not being able to use the word is an accepted double standard.

2nd time this happened.I didn't mean acceptable TO ME.I meant acceptable to many people of my same ethnicity.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a867073cc016
deactivated-5a867073cc016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

this thread always makes that Katy Perry song come into my head, no not the one about girl-on-girl action...the other one, "Ur So Gay and you don't even like boys"

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#166  Edited By Calvin
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
" I mean are people so stupid that they cant use words like lame      thry really have to be cruel and ignorant kie that "
Can I say, "that's so feminine"?
Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Calvin
@aztek the lost said:
"
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
" I mean are people so stupid that they cant use words like lame      thry really have to be cruel and ignorant kie that "
how do you think people that can't walk feel about things being called lame, you realize that's what it means right? sounds like a good old case of ignorance to me "
aztek! - He enters and he scores!!!
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#169  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Calvin said:
" @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
Can I say, "that's so feminine"? "
That's so Raven
Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Calvin
@inferiorego said:
" @Calvin said:
" @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
That's so Raven "
Your remarks are always "so webslinger like"!!
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#171  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Calvin said:
" @inferiorego said:
" @Calvin said:
" @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
That's so Raven "
Your remarks are always "so webslinger like"!! "
That's because I'm Batman
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#172  Edited By InnerVenom123
@inferiorego said:
" That's because I'm Batman "
I F@#KING KNEW IT! :O
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#173  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@aztek the lost said:
"
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
how do you think people that can't walk feel about things being called lame, you realize that's what it means right? sounds like a good old case of ignorance to me "

owwch  i forgot about that.....good point. but there are still other words
Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Calvin
@inferiorego said:
" @Calvin said:
" @inferiorego said:
" @Calvin said:
" @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
That's so Raven "
Your remarks are always "so webslinger like"!! "
That's because I'm Batman "

You have Spiderman's money and Batman's humor.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#175  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Do I have to give a name?: You just don't get it do you? Black people should be able to call us and say what ever the hell they want and it still won't make up for the past 500 or so years that the white man has been treating them like sh@t. White people are @ss holes through and through for what we did and we can never make it ok. Those words are still words of hate and demeaning. If it was up to me I would give every black person at least 500k to try to make up for our f@ck up.
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#177  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@aztek the lost said:
" @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
" @aztek the lost said:
"
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
owwch  i forgot about that.....good point. but there are still other words "
I don't think you get my point...no matter what word you use, you're offending someone...the beauty of a language is the meanings of words evolve and change, there is no actual set rules...no single word should offend, it should be the meaning behind it (and I'm not talking the theoretical meaning such as someone thinking through every time they say something's gay that they hate gay people) and no matter whether you say gay, lame, droll or any other word to refer to something you don't enjoy...the meaning is the same...so for example if you have no problem saying "frig" when you're angry, you have no right to be offended when someone else says "f@#k" when they're angry because you're saying the same thing. "

hmmmm, i never really thought of it that way    i guess i only felt the way i did   is because everyone i personally know who uses it is a homophobe. 

i guess i just need to take the stick out of my butt and have a coke 
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#179  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@aztek the lost: As Vance said it is an accepted double standard we f@cked up bad we got to deal with it
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@aztek the lost said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Do I have to give a name?: You just don't get it do you? Black people should be able to call us and say what ever the hell they want and it still won't make up for the past 500 or so years that the white man has been treating them like sh@t. White people are @ss holes through and through for what we did and we can never make it ok. Those words are still words of hate and demeaning. If it was up to me I would give every black person at least 500k to try to make up for our f@ck up. "
you don't think it's racist to lump all white people in as the f@#k-ups? sounds like a double standard to me...what about all those white people who abolished slavery, huh? yeah, Abe Lincoln was a pretty evil man, being white and all...statements like these make me ashamed to be human :( "
It appears to me he's generalizing.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@aztek the lost said:
" on a side note, why are people talking about racism in a thread about the use of the term, gay? "
Because the OP compared the phrase he's pissed about to the N-word.And I said i'm sick of it.
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Primmaster64
@InnerVenom123 said:
" @inferiorego said:
" That's because I'm Batman "
I F@#KING KNEW IT! :O "
NO WAY!
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@aztek the lost said:
ah I see, well I won't compare the two but I do think people take offense to meager words too often but that's just my opinion...I do watch what I say in front of other people to respect their feelings but the only things people  can say to make me think less of them are stupid things, otherwise throw in as many derogatory terms as you want "
I agree with that opinion.
FLCL1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By FLCL1
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
"@aztek the lost said:
"
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
owwch  i forgot about that.....good point. but there are still other words "

then why make this thread if "gay" is just a word?
blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#188  Edited By blade hunter
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @aztek the lost: As Vance said it is an accepted double standard we f@cked up bad we got to deal with it "
WE didn't f@ck anything up it was the people of that time that F@cked things up.
Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Bigheart711
@Vance Astro said:
" @aztek the lost said:
ah I see, well I won't compare the two but I do think people take offense to meager words too often but that's just my opinion...I do watch what I say in front of other people to respect their feelings but the only things people  can say to make me think less of them are stupid things, otherwise throw in as many derogatory terms as you want "
I agree with that opinion. "
I second that opinion even though I don't get offended much.
Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#190  Edited By Lantern Prime
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @aztek the lost: As Vance said it is an accepted double standard we f@cked up bad we got to deal with it "

Nigga is a good word. Its a social word...
nilmandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By nilmandir
@Vance Astro said:

" @nilmandir said:

As for the subject of LGBT civil rights and black civil rights being closely tied. They are tied Vance. Martin Luther King Jr. said  "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK and Coretta Scott King both believed that LGBT rights were the next step in civil rights for all people. So please, espouse all you want on how the two are not similar and not tied together, those of use out here who know the truth will just ignore.  You will be pushed out of the way on the way to equality. 

The MLK quote and Coretta Scott King information are here. "

I will be pushed out of the way to equality? Are you kidding me with this nonsense? I don't care what MLK said.The two aren't similar.Being gay in America is alot different from being black in America.This post also has almost nothing to do with the point.How the hell can you compare "That's So Gay" to calling a black person a n#gger? That's what my post about..all this nonsense about rights doesn't have anything do with it.Although what gays have been denied in America shouldn't be compared to what blacks were once denied in this country.It's horrible comparison. "
A derogatory term is a derogatory term. Hate speech is hate speech. Calling a black person ni**er is just as bad as calling someone a f*g. Saying "that's gay" is passive-aggressive hate speech. It's "Oh look, I made a joke out of hating other people." I don't care if you mean it as a joke or not. Using it is offensive. 

@Vance Astro said: 

@King Cobalt said: 

What if you're black and gay? Then you can see both points...And I have to say, they are very similar. I however don't use the N word, or the term "That's gay" because I know what they can do, and what they came from. But I do have a little problem with calling everyone a b!tch. "
But that's never the case.People are comparing the experience of being gay to being black.As if to say if doing_____isn't right against one minority then why is it right against another.But you can never compare saying "That's gay" to calling someone a n#####.Their histories and intents are way different.Calling someone a name is more of direct insult in comparison to something that may be insulting but that's not the intent. "
You're the one who made the comparison about the black experience versus the gay experience in the first place. Yes, I know it was in context to the usage of the word "ni**er". Drawing a line about how your version of discrimination is superior to my version.  Who cares, it's still discrimination. 

Your right Vance, my experience as a gay man is vastly different than yours as a black man. I don't wonder about groups of men, or even one man, following me to my car as I come from some place. I don't worry about them beating me, possibly killing me, and leaving my family to grieve. That it could happen here. Not just in some far away place, but in my own home city. I couldn't possibly know what it's like to have someone sneer at me because they don't like me for who I am. That I can lose my job because of what happens outside of my place of work. That I can't marry someone who I love, no matter how much I might love them. That I am called names by people who don't know me and will never even try to get to know me. 

I repeat what I said earlier. Hate speech is hate speech. I don't care what your context is.
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@nilmandir said: 

A derogatory term is a derogatory term. Hate speech is hate speech. Calling a black person ni**er is just as bad as calling someone a f*g. Saying "that's gay" is passive-aggressive hate speech. It's "Oh look, I made a joke out of hating other people." I don't care if you mean it as a joke or not. Using it is offensive. 

You're the one who made the comparison about the black experience versus the gay experience in the first place. Yes, I know it was in context to the usage of the word "ni**er". Drawing a line about how your version of discrimination is superior to my version.  Who cares, it's still discrimination.   Your right Vance, my experience as a gay man is vastly different than yours as a black man. I don't wonder about groups of men, or even one man, following me to my car as I come from some place. I don't worry about them beating me, possibly killing me, and leaving my family to grieve. That it could happen here. Not just in some far away place, but in my own home city. I couldn't possibly know what it's like to have someone sneer at me because they don't like me for who I am. That I can lose my job because of what happens outside of my place of work. That I can't marry someone who I love, no matter how much I might love them. That I am called names by people who don't know me and will never even try to get to know me.  I repeat what I said earlier. Hate speech is hate speech. I don't care what your context is. "

Why are you sitting here lying? I didn't first make the comparison.My first response regarding race was in response to the person who made the thread comparing someone saying the N-word the using the phrase in the topic at hand.Actually read my posts before responding.Second of all you can try and lump black people and gay people all you want.I'm not accepting it no matter what you say.You can call me ignorant or whatever you want to do my opinion won't change.Because your response and my response is just THAT, an opinion.My point initially was that I am sick of gay people trying to use us a their reasoning why people shouldn't discriminate against them. Discrimination against anyone is wrong no matter the reasoning so you don't have to bring up the injustices of other groups of people to make a case of why you shouldn't be disrespectful to gays. People just shouldn't do it PERIOD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:

No..that doesn't have to happen.The American government set it up so that certain black people aren't will never be qualified for good jobs so that when they are denied jobs we can't blame the employers decision on skin color.

I wasn't planning on replying to this thread again, but I must admit this answer has somewhat intrigued me. Do you have any specifics on how the US government achieves this? 

And while I'm here, just a couple of niggling points... 

Racial Profiling for starters.There are tons of race related accounts that have cost people their lives just dealing with the Police force in the U.S 

That's awfully vague, do you have any specific examples. Not just trigger happy cops though, even we have them and most of our cops don't even carry guns. 

What does the original meaning have to do with now though? The U.S Government HAS used an official word for black people since Slavery..we were called "COLORED".Look it up.

I don't know how that word is perceived in America, but over here it's still used by a lot of people to describe black people and would be considered no more racist than saying Caucasian or Hispanic. Though it does always make me think of this quote and laugh.

@Vance Astro

said:   

I'm pretty sure I used the words "us" and "we".

When someone says "us" and "we" they're including themselves. if you're saying you weren't speaking for yourself I can accept that. but again, i can only go by what you've written.

2nd time this happened.I didn't mean acceptable TO ME.I meant acceptable to many people of my same ethnicity. "

Generally speaking, someone's not going to label something as accepted unless they themselves accept it. So it's really not some huge presumption after reading that to think that you find it acceptable. 

@Son_of_Magnus

said:

" @Do I have to give a name?: You just don't get it do you? Black people should be able to call us and say what ever the hell they want and it still won't make up for the past 500 or so years that the white man has been treating them like sh@t. White people are @ss holes through and through for what we did and we can never make it ok. Those words are still words of hate and demeaning. If it was up to me I would give every black person at least 500k to try to make up for our f@ck up. "

Yeah, and why stop there? The way I see it the Turks and the Italians owe me s%#t-loads of money for all the crap the Romans put my country through. Not to mention Normandy. And you know, I had to buy my own car....yeah no joke...I haven't received a single penny from The Irish protestants that caused my family so much trouble.....200 years before I was born....