#1 Posted by pstkondeti (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Just found the wonderful world of comics. I've browsed comicvine and this place is HUGE so...any ideas on where i should start? Or does anybody wanna share where they started?

#2 Edited by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

Start with where your comic interests are, talk about them, join in discussions about them, then slowly try integrating yourself with things like their role playing thingies (I don't though). But most importantly make sure you make sense when discussing.

#3 Posted by MrDirector786 (43371 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome! : )

And yeah, as JohnnyGat said, start with where your interests are. You don't just have to like what's considered popular and you don't have to just read from Marvel or DC. Like, I read the Sonic comics from Archie (and I am considering their Mega Man series as well) and all the Transformers comics by IDW.

#4 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7635 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi ^.^ If you wanna work with Marvel or Dc I'de start with .1 books for Marvel ad a few New 52's from DC I heard Batmans good. oh but Vertigo's American Vampire is amazing<3

#5 Posted by pstkondeti (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks! How do you guys get your comics? Do you like buy them or do you read digital comics?

#6 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19892 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually go to a local bookstore to get comics. And also welcome to Comic Vine!

#7 Posted by pstkondeti (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: haha thanks, I better start saving up then!

#8 Posted by Frenemy (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

@pstkondeti: Welcome ^_^

#9 Posted by sithfrog (909 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome!

I suggest what others are saying, work with what you know/like and expand from there at your comfort level. I also found it fun and informative to do the quests, a great way to learn more about comics in general.

I still buy issues and have been reading and collecting for about 20 years. I've recently been on a back issue spree filling in gaps from my collection.

Have fun and enjoy!

#10 Posted by MrDirector786 (43371 posts) - - Show Bio

I buy some from a comic store and order others from Amazon.

#11 Posted by Loki9876 (2992 posts) - - Show Bio

hello

if you want comic suggestions you can say of which character and I will be happy to give you advise.

#12 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to CV! When I got here I just jumped in, and I've done pretty well for myself.

#13 Edited by superstay (9631 posts) - - Show Bio

I started in the Battle Forum and just looking up characters.

little tip don't go to the Battle Forum unless you know what your talking about. Welcome to the Vine

dó¡òb

#14 Posted by JediXMan (29296 posts) - - Show Bio

I loiter at book stores and borrow from libraries.

#15 Posted by AweSam (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome. I'm also pretty new to comics, only really got into them a few months ago. I'm currently trying to get into Marvel, so I'm actually liking Avengers vs X-men and I started reading Astonishing X-men. For DC, I'm reading Batman, Superman, Justice League, and Red Hood and the Outlaws. If you're new like I am, you should do what I did and read some of the older comics first (Kingdom Come, Batman: Hush, The Dark Knight Returns, and astonishing X-men: Gifted). I prefer digital because there are no comic stores nearby and I hate finding places to stuff them.

#16 Edited by Phantim555 (229 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll start by saying welcome and just start by looking at different character pages thats what I did and learned so much from them and they really do a great job keeping up with current events. Also I just wrote a new review on The Dark Knight Rises (http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/phantim555/the-dark-knight-rises-trilogy-review-spoilers-involved/87-82926/) so if you want to check that out go for it unless you haven't seen it yet which in that case avoid it like the plague because it is full of spoilers. Other than that just have fun :). Oh and to answer your other question I recently started reading digitally and absolutely love it.

#17 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@pstkondeti:

welcome !

i started on Grant Morrison's JLA ^-^

#18 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome!

I buy from my local shop (Prairie Dog Comics). I also get back issues from Mile High Comics online from time to time.

What characters are you into? What got you interested in comics?

#19 Posted by pstkondeti (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Welcome!

I buy from my local shop (Prairie Dog Comics). I also get back issues from Mile High Comics online from time to time.

What characters are you into? What got you interested in comics?

I'm into like Captain America, Spider-man and Batman. I also find stuff like The Walking Dead and the runaways interesting.

#20 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@pstkondeti: Welcome. As someone has said avoid the battle forum unless you have a really good argument and know about the character(s) involved. Off-topic is pretty easy to get into.

#21 Posted by pstkondeti (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

@The_Thunderer said:

@pstkondeti: Welcome. As someone has said avoid the battle forum unless you have a really good argument and know about the character(s) involved. Off-topic is pretty easy to get into.

This and General Discussion is a good place as well.

thanks

I've browsed through the battles forum and its kinda scary so I'm gonna stay away from it for a while.

But off-topic and General Discussion are super fun :D

Everyone on comicvine is so nice :)

#22 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (14586 posts) - - Show Bio

@pstkondeti said:

I'm into like Captain America, Spider-man and Batman. I also find stuff like The Walking Dead and the runaways interesting.

then let me recomend you some stories. for Batman you should read Hush, Death in the Family, Knightfall, No man's land, R.I.P, Battle for the Cowl, the whole Batman and Robin collection, and Batman and Son. For Spider-man read Back in Black, New ways to die was pretty good, Big time and so on.

and also the current Batman run

#23 Posted by pstkondeti (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@pstkondeti said:

then let me recomend you some stories. for Batman you should read Hush, Death in the Family, Knightfall, No man's land, R.I.P, Battle for the Cowl, the whole Batman and Robin collection, and Batman and Son. For Spider-man read Back in Black, New ways to die was pretty good, Big time and so on.

I've never heard of any of those...that's PERFECT.

now I have a lot more areas to read from, thanks a bunch :D

#24 Posted by nickthedevil (11415 posts) - - Show Bio

@pstkondeti: Welcome to the site.

#25 Posted by pstkondeti (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickthedevil: haha thanks :D

#26 Posted by nickthedevil (11415 posts) - - Show Bio

@pstkondeti: No problem

#27 Posted by wildvine (8076 posts) - - Show Bio

@pstkondeti

Hey welcome. : )

#28 Posted by pstkondeti (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Thanks :)

#29 Posted by Typhion (622 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I'd pic some of your favorite characters, go to their page or forum page, and figure out which story arcs sound interesting. Then head to a comic store, or online, or a bookstore and enjoy.

#30 Edited by JonesDeini (3619 posts) - - Show Bio

@pstkondeti: Welcome! It's very interesting place. What are your general interests as far as story types go? Any favorite characters currently? Characters you'd like to know more about? With those questions answered I'm sure we could all help you find some stuff you'd be into. The approach I took when I dived back into to comics was reading recommended trades of my favorite character (in my case Batman) and the stuff that I was "supposed to have read" (stuff like Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman, etc. ) After a while I was able to discover writers and artists that I liked and began following them from book to book and just working my way through their past and present works.