I'm I just dense?

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Neverpraying

When ever someone gets hurt, I don't care that they were hurt, it happened and I don't really understand what people want from me.
I don't understand why I should be sympathetic. Is this wrong? If so why?

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Wise Son
Question. Are you complacently critical of yourself? 
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

It's normal (at least for me).

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Neverpraying
@Wise Son: Not sure? >.>
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wise Son
Same here. Not knock you guys. Just wondering if their is some kind of common link here. Humans have the essentially, unique ability to project themselves onto a situation. It's a major reason why people are sympathetic to others plight. 
Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Neverpraying
@Wise Son:  When ever someone says I was hurt today, I just say and your point is? What their basic reply is: I WANT YOU TO FEEL SYMPATHY!
I simply don't understand.
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@Billy Batson said:
"

"
Cuz you're evil :P
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wise Son
@Neverpraying: The only time I feel any amount of genuine sympathy is when someone is physically hurt really bad. Otherwise, I couldn't care less. Like I stated, it may just be a matter of projection. You don't feel the need for sympathy from others so you don't give it. There in lies the issue, I think. That's why you don't understand the urge.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe
@Neverpraying: Its because currently people are obsessed with their emotions to the point that if everyone around them doesn't share their emotions the get pissed, if you ask my over emotionality is part of the problem with the world today.  
biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By biggkeem89

You might be a borderline sociopath. You may not feel sympathy for every person that suffers, but at some point, you should feel something.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Billy Batson
@TheGoldenOne said:
" @Billy Batson said:
"

"
Cuz you're evil :P "

:D recognize

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Neverpraying said:
" When ever someone gets hurt, I don't care that they were hurt, it happened and I don't really understand what people want from me.I don't understand why I should be sympathetic. Is this wrong? If so why? "
Does this include people you're close to? Or just random School / work / acquaintance people?
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wise Son
@joshmightbe said:
" @Neverpraying: Its because currently people are obsessed with their emotions to the point that if everyone around them doesn't share their emotions the get pissed, if you ask my over emotionality is part of the problem with the world today.   "
Another good point.
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wise Son
@biggkeem89 said:
" You might be a borderline sociopath. You may not feel sympathy for every person that suffers, but at some point, you should feel something. "
I think you're reaching.
Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Neverpraying said:
" @Wise Son:  When ever someone says I was hurt today, I just say and your point is? What their basic reply is: I WANT YOU TO FEEL SYMPATHY! I simply don't understand. "
No Offense intended but that's quite unnerving that you don't feel anything 
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe he's just autistic.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshmightbe
@The Umbra Sorcerer: If someone is injured in a life threatening way I may be concerned but if its something like a sprained wrist or other minor injury i don't see any reason for me to feel bad unless the person injured happens to be a child. If someone is over the age of say 12 and they whine for peoples sympathy over minor injuries they are an irritating person and probably should be ignored anyway
Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Neverpraying

I can feel bad when I do something wrong, or mad, or sad, some times glad, that's about it tho.
I have never honestly have felt sympathy tho.

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wise Son
@joshmightbe said:
" @The Umbra Sorcerer: If someone is injured in a life threatening way I may be concerned but if its something like a sprained wrist or other minor injury i don't see any reason for me to feel bad unless the person injured happens to be a child. If someone is over the age of say 12 and they whine for peoples sympathy over minor injuries they are an irritating person and probably should be ignored anyway "
My point, exactly. 
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Billy Batson

Sympathy is overrated...

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@joshmightbe: Ahhh It's the whining you don't feel sympathy for i see. Well i understand now but personally i still feel sorry even if it was just a sprained wrist but thats just me. 
Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Neverpraying

It's also frustrating when someone acts like I'm doing something wrong because I don't feel sorry for them.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joshmightbe
@Neverpraying: Actually if you've ever felt happy that something good has happened to a friend or relative then you have felt sympathy, alot of people just assume that sympathy just means feeling bad for some one but it actually goes both ways. 
Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wise Son
@Neverpraying: It's because they view the world from their perspective. They aren't viewing it from yours. From their perspective they would feel bad if the same had happened to you. They expect the same. When you don't give it to them, well they get upset.
Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheSpiritStalker

It's possible that you don't value or "care about" those getting hurt. I've had this issue as well but once you become more intimate with people simply by listening, sharing and getting close with people. You will soon begin to care and want to help when they need it. Peace.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Neverpraying
@joshmightbe: Don't really feel that either :P
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Neverpraying:  Re-evaluate your relationships. An open ear is subject to listen, but lack of feeling on the matter and demanding feedback from an Internet audience about it is a bit strange.
Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Neverpraying
@sesquipedalophobe: not really demanding just wondering what anyone else thinks of the matter.
It's also a bit strange hearing the same people's perspective and views that I know in real life all the time.
So some fresh ones from the internet is always interesting.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Magian

I wouldn't call you dense. More like honest IMO.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Neverpraying
@ComicMan24: lol :P
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Neverpraying:  I can understand that, but know this: the Internet is an anonymous medium, where you can say anything, be anyone and use a zombified picture of yourself as an icon. It also increases the chances of intelligent discussion (somewhat), whereas any common person in real life can judge a person's emotions by the manner in which they walk, talk and use facial expressions. So, are we discussing "ow, my knee" or "my husband is cheating on me"?
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By joshmightbe
@Neverpraying: most people pretend to sympathize when they don't actually care, its like a courtesy thing really and like most forms of politeness its actually meaningless. If you feel bad for someone its not going to make them feel better or heal their ailments so its just another useless feeling that the greeting card industry wants us to think is important
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Vortex13

Just because you don't feel something when someone is hurt doesn't mean you're a sociopath. I'm worse I felt upset when someone I knew died but I really wasn't affected by it in any real way. I may act like I feel sympathy for people who get hurt, I do genuinely feel sympathy when someone dies or is seriously injured, but most of the time I don't care. Like I said if it's serious injury maybe, but I honestly see the point of complaining about shutting your finger in a door or getting a deep cut. If it doesn't require a hospital visit I don't care.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By joshmightbe

On the flip side I know people that truly don't want or need sympathy like my uncle, whenever he's sick or injured he actually gets pissed if anyone acts any different around him than usual. 

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vortex13

I forgot to add I do not care at all about any deaths in the news especially celebrity deaths lol.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#36  Edited By SC  Moderator

Not feeling bad is different to not caring. Then there is understanding, vs caring vs being nice. Also like another poster pointed out whether you are applying this to a stranger, someone you know, or your best friend or girlfriend. From what I know, most people just want understanding. Unless they are close. Then they might want comfort though the action or reaction of care, caring. or another way, what and how do you want people to care for you? If you got hit by a care would you want people to care? A stranger walking by to care? A loved one to care? Their would likely be a range of degree to your answer. You might just only hope the stranger would care enough to ring an ambulance lol 

I like to consciously know all the horrible things happening in the world at any given time. If a friend tells me that his life is so terrible because his girlfriend found out he was cheating on her, I won't care. Some dude on the other side of the world just gotten by a Rhino! Probably. Stabbed first and his shoes stolen, and then eaten by a Rhino. Still, he is my friend, a dumbass, but a part of being a friend to me is by giving some sort of reaction that might aid him. Like telling him is a dumbass for thinking he was Shaggy. So I'll care a little bit there. Now if another friend's parents have an heart attack, i'll definitely care there, and show it to, to support them. They are in pan, I want them to feel better and know they have support. Likewise I can apply this attitude to a stranger. I might not care about them as much as a close friend, by nothing wrong about supporting a stranger experiencing pain and a difficult situation. In another life we could be friends, say I have a friend in another country, in a situation where she doesn't have friends around, I would almost be counting on hoping someone else with my understanding of the world might care in a similar way. So there is a difference between your initial reaction of caring and your ability to consciously care and even your ability to examine why you care when you do, and why you don't care when you do, and the differences. 

Often I find a lot of people don't care unless its beneficial for themselves. Even when they care for others, its actually because of some selfish reason. I only care about that stranger of their being knocked down to the ground cause she is hot. I don't care about that old dude over there because he is old and smells funny. I care about that old dude over there knocked over cause I have an elderly dad and I know old people at his age need help getting up, I don't care about that green kid over there getting knocked down, well, cause I am a racist. etc 

Altruism is actually a pretty cool and expansive thing to discuss really. Very interesting. Often many questions about whether its inherently beneficial. A lot of talk about the "altruism gene" in recent years. 

Personally I sort of like caring for other people when I can. Even though in one other very real I might not actually care, because by comparison there are bigger and greater things to care about. Still caring about small things and moments and strangers and best friends. Eh why not? Though for me, this is as much as a learned perspective as much as it is inherent. 
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By CATPANEXE

i dont feel theres anything wrong with that no. in truth, no one has the right to expect anything from another person on this Earth. therein that makes it all the more special when someone
does something of their own accord for another. if thats who you are, people should respect that, given hopefully you have let people actually know that you wish not to be bothered with it?
personally i'm overly sympathic, but that like yours comes simply from my nature, in my case i'm really sensitive, empathic, and rather sappy when it comes down to it, imo.

Kenjav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kenjav

I think you might be talking about empathy, not sympathy. I'd say it is only "wrong" if it is causing you any amount of trouble in your social relations. It's the thing about living in a society, you may think some of its unspoken rules are stupid, but if they exist it is because they are important to others. So, bottom line, if you genuinely can't feel empathy for other: is that person worth enough to at least make the effort to appear like you care? just to make someone feel a bit better? That way you could take the issue on a case to case basis, as opposed to try to change all your point of view.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By shanana
@biggkeem89 said:
" You might be a borderline sociopath. You may not feel sympathy for every person that suffers, but at some point, you should feel something. "
This
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vortex13
@Sha said:
" @biggkeem89 said:
This "
I think that is bull s##t. Just because you don't feel bad for someone it doesn't make you a sociopath. Trust me in that there is a big differnce in lake of sympathy than lack of empathy. A sociopath isn't someone who lacks sympathy but one who feels no empathy basically meaning that it is not that they do not care for the persons suffering but that they can not feel for them.
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By John Valentine

Yes, given how your opening post was written. Second to that, you fail to recognize your dispassion i.e. you have little self-awareness.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By shanana

Sympathy is a social affinity in which one person stands with another person, closely understanding his or her feelings. Also known as empathic concern, it is the feeling of compassion or concern for another, the wish to see them better off or happier. Although empathy and sympathy are often used interchangeably, a subtle variation in ordinary usage can be detected. To empathize is to respond to another's perceived emotional state by experiencing feelings of a similar sort.Sympathy not only includes empathizing, but also entails having a positive regard or a non-fleeting concern for the other person.

In common usage, sympathy is usually making known one's understanding of another's unhappiness or suffering, especially when it is grief.

If you don't have some sort of Sympathy, than you really don't have a strong sense of Empathy; that's just going off of what you said. 

@Vortex13:

Now if, my hamster dies, and you express some type of remorse for the situation while never actually losing a pet yourself; That's having Sympathy with a lack of Empathy. But you cannot Empathize without having some sort of Sympathy.

Now if he finds himself just not caring at all, not showing any sympathy at all; 9 times out of 10 he can't empathize. He's a borderline sociopath.

Now granted he would have to display a horde of other traits, but since this is the topic that's my diagnosis. He might be the most giving person on the planet.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By joshmightbe
@Vortex13: If he was a sociopath he wouldn't be concerned that people were upset at his lack of sympathy, so technically the fact that he posted this is proof he's not a sociopath 
shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By shanana
@joshmightbe said:
" @Vortex13: If he was a sociopath he wouldn't be concerned that people were upset at his lack of sympathy, so technically the fact that he posted this is proof he's not a sociopath  "
LMAO that too
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By velle37
@Neverpraying said:
"When ever someone gets hurt, I don't care that they were hurt, it happened and I don't really understand what people want from me.I don't understand why I should be sympathetic. Is this wrong? If so why? "

It seems your mass per volume has a higher concentration than normal.......
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By Caligula
@Billy Batson said:
"

Sympathy is overrated...

"
never have truer words been spoken
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Billy Batson
@Caligula said:
" @Billy Batson said:
"

Sympathy is overrated...

"
never have truer words been spoken "

:D

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By _Sojourn_

I always say that I am overly empathetic and completely unsympathetic 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By joshmightbe
@Caligula: like I said its a worthless emotion given far more weight than necessary due to people being way too damn needy now days
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By Caligula
@joshmightbe said:
" @Caligula: like I said its a worthless emotion given far more weight than necessary due to people being way too damn needy now days "
everyone wants it, but no one wants to give it.