#1 Posted by slacker the hacker (7775 posts) - - Show Bio

I bring up this topic because I recently lost someone extremely close to me, he might as well have been dad/best friend so I've been thinking of all the possibilities of were he could be. In general as a christian I have faith he in a better place. But you know there is always that feeling of not knowing and doubt and all the other possibilities that could be. Everything from being in a paradise to simply not existing and that's only the half of what I'm thinking about. Another thing that I hate thinking about that he probably doesn't even remember me or his family based on what I know of religious and atheist views about after-lives or no after-life. When I think of him not remembering something that was so important human makes me tear up...hell I'm crying right now. I can't imagine him not existing in an afterlife of some kind, heck it's really hard to imagine not existing right now in the other room. (He stayed in the room right across from mine and in general he lived with me since I was born) Its just so hard to think that the memories we shared might all be gone and one day I might have no recollection either. I'm still a kid you know? I really didn't want to lose anyway close to me until I was older. (Well ever actually but that would be impossible) It scares me thinking he everything we did together might one day be gone in a sense I won't be able to reflect upon them. Even if we all do go to some paradise I don't want to forget what I did on Earth. I don't know? I just feel really confused I just Miss him.

#2 Posted by ComicMan24 (147021 posts) - - Show Bio

Really sorry for your loss man. And I suppose thinking this stuff is normal. You just lost someone really close to you. Well we can't know what happens next and doubt we will ever find out. But you must always be thinking that this person is happy wherever he is right now. I am pretty sure that's what he would have wanted for you to think right now.

#3 Posted by Bruxae (9391 posts) - - Show Bio

I lost someone who was like a father/brother to me a few years ago now too, its natural to have these thoughts just remember it will get better eventually, you are never going to forget but it will get a little easier.. And aslong as you remember him he will exist and so will your memories, because what else are we if not memories of others?

Have faith in what you believe, nothing in life is certain and if you let it get to you everytime you realise that youll spend the one short life you have being sad, and thats not what he would want for you, especially not because of him, honor him by trying to move on and making your life the best it could possibly be.

Even if things were at its worst there wouldnt be anything anyone could do about it, so all we can do is choose to believe in the good, death is a natural part of life that we must all come to accept one day.

Im really sorry for your loss.

#4 Posted by slacker the hacker (7775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bruxae: Thanks

@ComicMan24: Thanks as well

#5 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

@slacker the hacker: I understand where you're coming from....I just lost one of my best friends yesterday to brain cancer...he was like a brother to me...I have faith that he is in a better place...I may not know exactly what that place is but I don know that it's better...that's all I need to know

#6 Posted by slacker the hacker (7775 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Thank you. I'm sorry for your loss.

#7 Posted by Living_Monstrosity (422 posts) - - Show Bio

Nihilism works wonders.

#8 Posted by pooty (10323 posts) - - Show Bio

@slacker the hacker: Another thing that I hate thinking about that he probably doesn't even remember me or his family based on what I know of religious

I can recall when the Prophets Elisha and Elijah raised someone from the dead. It seemed like they still knew and remembered their family. also when jesus raised Lazarus, it made no mention of him NOT remembering is family. So i think your friend will remember you and how much you meant to him.

#9 Posted by RoyalDivinity (3161 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry for your loss mate. Going through a similar situation as well. My condolences.

#10 Posted by slacker the hacker (7775 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: Thanks but technically when they were raised there brain and memories were raised with them right?

@PunkMastaFlex: Thanks sorry for your situation.

#11 Posted by Gravy (47 posts) - - Show Bio

If it means anything, I'm sure your tears mean these memories of your Father/bestfriend won't be going anywhere, anytime soon. There's nothing wrong with mourning or grieving but in the end how can you not rejoice? Heaven is a much better place than here :) All in all, I'm sorry for your loss

#12 Posted by pooty (10323 posts) - - Show Bio

@slacker the hacker said:

@pooty: Thanks but technically when they were raised there brain and memories were raised with them right?

@PunkMastaFlex: Thanks sorry for your situation.

yes. isn't that what you want? you want him to remember you i thought.

#13 Posted by slacker the hacker (7775 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: Yes but I'm more speaking of memory in the after life itself.

#14 Posted by pooty (10323 posts) - - Show Bio

@slacker the hacker said:

@pooty: Yes but I'm more speaking of memory in the after life itself.

Do you know what all the people who have been resurrected have in common? There is NO MENTION of an afterlife. In John 11 when Jesus raised Lazarus he said "Lazarus is sleeping". So your friend may just be sleeping, waiting to be woke up.

#15 Posted by slacker the hacker (7775 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: Oh that's good.