Posted by ElderStarlord117 (243 posts) 8 months, 26 days ago

Poll: If you had the opportunity to get superpowers... (32 votes)

Take the offer 63%
Refuse the offer 38%

If an omnipotent being offered to grant you five superpowers of any kind and degree for the rest of your life (plus an extremely extended lifetime), but you had to sacrifice someone very close to you, would you take the offer? Or would you live the rest of your normal, average life a guilt-free, powerless mortal?

Honestly... this may seem terrible, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that I passed up an opportunity like that. I'd do it.

#1 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21880 posts) - - Show Bio

very close means I like them? refuse

#2 Posted by Racob7 (5727 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming I choose whom I sacrifice, I would take the offer.

#3 Posted by ElderStarlord117 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

very close means I like them? refuse

This person can be your wife, kids, family, crush, friends, girlfriend, etc. Anyone you really care about.

@racob7 said:

Yeah, you get to choose, but it can't be someone you hate. So, you can't sacrifice your mother if you dislike her. Only people you love.

#4 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4807 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a deal with a demon. Ya can't trust those sonsa bissstreawddrdgfdseazfdnjbs

(+)

#5 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4807 posts) - - Show Bio

Great power comes great responsibility and accepting this offer is failing the test.

(+)

#6 Posted by Dernman (15128 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to think I would refuse it.

#7 Posted by ElderStarlord117 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a deal with a demon. Ya can't trust those sonsa bissstreawddrdgfdseazfdnjbs

(+)

Well, let's assume this guy's a man of his word. No tricks.

But that second post, doe... deep...

#8 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21880 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest I don't have much friends, so I wouldn't kill anybody I like.

Comic Vine answer:

I become a reality warper, take the offer, bring the dead back, and BFR the demon to hell

#9 Edited by FearTheLiving (3146 posts) - - Show Bio

If I could talk to the person before accepting it and they agreed that I could, I would. If they say no I wouldn't.

However I feel I could get a loophole in there, like saying I want to be able to timetravel, go back in time, then sacrifice my grandma 1 second before she actually died.

If I couldn't do that nor, anyone agreed I'd deeply consider sacrificing myself in order to give another superpowers.

#10 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4807 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone willing to kill someone they love all for the sake of having powers doesn't sound like someone I would trust would make the world a better place.

(+)

#11 Edited by laidblack (1297 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Posted by ElderStarlord117 (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone willing to kill someone they love all for the sake of having powers doesn't sound like someone I would trust would make the world a better place.

(+)

Well, once you've got the powers, you can do what you want with 'em. So, you don't necessarily have to make the world a better place.

#13 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4807 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by RomulusAugustus (270 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (5226 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, why aren't people accepting the powers.

You sacrifice someone close to you, then you use your new-found powers to get them back, you get 5 powers of ANY DEGREE.

LOOOOOOOPHOOOOOOOLEEEEESSSSS!

#16 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd sacrifice that random guy who's always way-too-close to my personal space while I'm in the subway train station; he's always breathing down my neck and stuff. Jeez, that guy is annoying.

#17 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming that I can't just use a loophole, no. Anybody saying yes doesn't really deserve powers

#18 Posted by Wolverine08 (42477 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#19 Posted by JediXMan (30653 posts) - - Show Bio

Close or somebody I like, but am not particularly close to?

Wait, why aren't people accepting the powers.

You sacrifice someone close to you, then you use your new-found powers to get them back, you get 5 powers of ANY DEGREE.

LOOOOOOOPHOOOOOOOLEEEEESSSSS!

... actually, yeah. I'd make myself omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, destroy the other guy through some scheme, and bring the person back to life.

#20 Posted by MonsterStomp (18134 posts) - - Show Bio

Close as in someone next to me right now?

#21 Edited by Racob7 (5727 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7 said:

Yeah, you get to choose, but it can't be someone you hate. So, you can't sacrifice your mother if you dislike her. Only people you love.

What about a loved one who's already dying and suffering?

#22 Posted by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't. Power corrupts, and I wouldn't sell out like that.

#23 Posted by ARMIV2 (8551 posts) - - Show Bio

Ain't nothing worth that kind of sacrifice. Pass.

#24 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (852 posts) - - Show Bio

Why wouldn't you take the deal? You're given five superpowers, why not just pick up one that lets you resurrect the sacrificed person. The OP doesn't say anything about being forced to leave them dead. Even if you can't bring them back from the dead, use magic or something to bind everyone's memory of the person to a totem (basically what Belasco did to bring back Illyana/Darkchilde).

#25 Edited by Rouflex (18499 posts) - - Show Bio

1.Giving Perfect Immortallity to others

2.Perfect Immortality (Cant be killed or erased, cant get bored of life, enought space memory...)

3.Power to defeat the entity

4.Reviving

5.Make it acceptable that my close one revives

Otherwise i like to think that i wont do it.

#26 Posted by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by ElderStarlord117 (243 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not.

#29 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5619 posts) - - Show Bio

I barely forget people I lie to, so KILLING a loved one would haunt me.

#30 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

I would hold someone I hate close to me in a empty room so he's the only one who's close to me and die and I get powers.

#31 Posted by Rouflex (18499 posts) - - Show Bio

61% says yes o_O...

#32 Edited by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Farkam (4891 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17504 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course. First Power = Getting the sacrificed one back. Now I have to think about the other four.

Loophole of 'close, but disliked' seems okay. But I would feel guilty every time.. but perhaps that's okay for unlimited power.. I could do way too good with it. For myself and for others.

If none of the above two options work, then nope. I'd rather be a murder/guilt free man.

But seriously, I'm not sure how many of us can actually refuse something like that. Real food for thought.

@elderstarlord117: Very good question..

#35 Edited by 14NC3 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends if I choose who I sacrifice. Would never sacrifice a family member, but would sacrifice some friends that are close. I'd do it if it never means that I go to hell or something. Plus I could choose one of my powers to be able to bring back the dead.

#36 Posted by hylian (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

Time Travel

Telekinesis

Reality warping

Dimension Traveling

Super speed

#37 Posted by MyNameIsWill (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah.

#38 Edited by Mad_Titan (326 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted for yes before reading the sacrifice part :P

#39 Posted by MonsterStomp (18134 posts) - - Show Bio

You murderers!