• 69 results
#1 Posted by pooty (11615 posts) - - Show Bio

If you found out right now that there was no God and after you die there is no Heaven or Hell. That you are just a dead carcass rotting in the ground. Would you change the way you live? Are there things you do because you believe in God? Are there things you don't do because you believe in God? Or would nothing change?

#2 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. I'm pretty much an atheist. I don't do bad things because I'd feel terrible if they were done to me or if I hurt anyone. And I occasionally do nice things because its nice to make people happy. If one's morals are based off the threat of eternal suffering and not empathy, they aren't really morals, are they?

#3 Posted by pooty (11615 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise: If one's morals are based off the threat of eternal suffering and not empathy, they aren't really morals, are they

That would be true if that is the case. But myself personally Sometimes I don't want to do something wrong because I feel it would "hurt" God's feelings, the way you don't want to hurt another persons. I feel that God has done so much for me already that I could care less if there is a heaven or hell. Nevertheless, If i found out he didn't exist I would be much different.

#4 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

i wouldnt change the way i live. i believe there has to be a higher power out there but since ive never seen this higher power it wouldnt affect my life except that i would have to change a few of the phrases i use.

#5 Edited by The Lobster (1528 posts) - - Show Bio

I find all religions to be a load of bull and I choose not to play the religion game. They could all be right, they could all be a bunch of lies and false hope (There's probably a religion out there that is exactly what I just described so the irony behind that would be that that would be my religion.....is a religion that doesn't believe in religion a religion?).  So even though I'm technically an Anglican since I was baptized as one, I don't go to church and I don't believe any of it. That being said, that doesn't mean I don't think less of people who have a religion. It's like I just said, any of them could be right and any of them could be wrong.

So if I found out God didn't exist. I'd probably just shrug it off and go "meh".

#6 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to break it to you but religion isn't the only source of person's moral compass. If people knew this then there wouldn't be religion in politics, and presidential candidates wouldn't have to advertise how religion they are.

#7 Posted by pooty (11615 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster : I don't think religion=belief in God. I don't see why you have to be part of a formal religion to believe in God.

#8 Edited by SyIar (405 posts) - - Show Bio

In general, people's morals don't come from God or their belief in God or any religion. It's way deeper than that.

Ask yourself if you would change the way you live if you found out there were actually a God.

People like to point fingers and blame certain things for the way certain people live or handle their lives, but the truth is we live in a time where 99% of the population directly go against the "word of God" every single day.

Did you have sex before getting married? Have you ever talked back to your parents? Ever check another woman out? A man? Ever curse? Steal? Have bad thoughts?

This is just a short list of an almost infinite list of things that people do every day by the millions and still believe, practice and preach "the word of God".

What i'm trying to say is, almost no one FULLY practices "God's Word" in this day and age and we all basically live the way we want to live already. I'm sure no one is holding anything back anymore in fear of heaven or hell.

#9 Posted by menaceforever (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't be a virgin

#10 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd just be like....Mehh we pretty much already know that for a fact anyway

P.S. I like your screen name :D

#11 Posted by krilling (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja said:

I hate to break it to you but religion isn't the only source of person's moral compass. If people knew this then there wouldn't be religion in politics, and presidential candidates wouldn't have to advertise how religion they are.

Amen.

#12 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7761 posts) - - Show Bio

I can only say I would cuss, but no I would've stayed the same. Like others say, most of us who believe in God, still do alot of the things he would look down upon without even knowing.

#13 Posted by Raiiyn (3597 posts) - - Show Bio

@SyIar said:

In general, people's morals don't come from God or their belief in God or any religion. It's way deeper than that.

Ask yourself if you would change the way you live if you found out there were actually a God.

People like to point fingers and blame certain things for the way certain people live or handle their lives, but the truth is we live in a time where 99% of the population directly go against the "word of God" every single day.

Did you have sex before getting married? Have you ever talked back to your parents? Ever check another woman out? A man? Ever curse? Steal? Have bad thoughts?

This is just a short list of an almost infinite list of things that people do every day by the millions and still believe, practice and preach "the word of God".

What i'm trying to say is, almost no one FULLY practices "God's Word" in this day and age and we all basically live the way we want to live already. I'm sure no one is holding anything back anymore in fear of heaven or hell.

QFT

I don't think that I myself would change much... the world on the other hand... That is a whole different story. I would love to know what happens to the institutions such as the Vatican if it was confirmed there was no higher power.

#14 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio

I think humans have a natural tendency to believe in a god or gods. If there wasn't a god, we would just make new ones (like we do with money and Elvis Presley)

#15 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't change how I run my life, I think a more interesting question would be if God was proven to exist, I think that would change a moral compass then to find out that God isn't real. I do things the way I do because it's how I am, not because I am in total fear of hell or am desperately trying to gain a spot for myself in Heaven.

#16 Posted by ARMIV2 (8808 posts) - - Show Bio

...I'd like to think I wouldn't.

#17 Edited by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

I would become a supervillain. Probably not a successful one, but I would try nonetheless.

#18 Posted by longbowhunter (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't change the way I live. But many people would. There would be a whole lot of crazy. That's what religion is really there for anyway I think. To keep people in check and all that.

#19 Posted by pooty (11615 posts) - - Show Bio

@SyIar said:

No doubt we are all sinners. I believe in God and many times do what I want to do. But if I took God out of the equation i would have a "F*ck you, it's all about me mentality" Belief in god doesn't make me perfect but it keeps me in check.

@Raiiyn: I would love to know what happens to the institutions such as the Vatican if it was confirmed there was no higher power

They would try to convince us to still follow them and pay them because it's the "right thing to do".

@HBKTimHBK: I think a more interesting question would be if God was proven to exist

That question was gonna be my next thread.

@The Man of Yesteryear said:

I would become a supervillain. Probably not a successful one, but I would try nonetheless.

This is what i'm talking about. I think i'm a nice guy who wouldn't hurt anyone. but i would become the biggest wannabe villain i could be.

#20 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: I'm psychic...^.^ lol

#21 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20429 posts) - - Show Bio

No I would not. If I was an athiest I would still have my morals.

#22 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18627 posts) - - Show Bio

I am an atheist,so further conformation that god doesn't exist would finally rap up the whole debate.It wouldn't change my life personally but Im sure it would change alot of things in the world,for the better.

#23 Posted by The Stegman (25541 posts) - - Show Bio
I'd be horribly depressed to find out there is no afterlife. There has to be something better than this meager existence.
#24 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm agnostic, so if there was a god or some sort of higher power it wouldn't surprise me. same is true if it turned out there was no god. I enjoy the lifestyle I have, it's not perfect but i'm happy and I don't see the existence or non-existence of a deity changing that.

#25 Posted by RoyalDivinity (3172 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty:

I think a more interesting question would be if God was proven to exist
That question was gonna be my next thread.

Bible is written as an allegory. All books of the bible were written in the inspiration of God. God exist without a single shred of doubt simply for the FACT he is spoken of so often, exist as a metaphysical notion, and has followers that place a great deal of faith in him. His existence is given validation by the same method to disprove him. He doesn’t need to have a physical presence to exist.

#26 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV2 said:

...I'd like to think I wouldn't.

#27 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Because I'm an atheist. I'd feel an elated sense of being proven right though.

#28 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

I would change...and im pretty sure the rest of the world would change, infact i bet the world would go spiraling down into chaos

people who do believe in God, struggle to do the right thing, imagine telling them there is no God, they would just go crazy

and think about institutions that have been founded on the grounds of religion, there are countries now that are theocracies in all but name, civil war would break out across the globe, economies would crash, mass suicides (there are people whose only strength for getting up in the morning to live their meaningless and terrible life is prayer), people would do whatever they want, there would be no second thoughts (there would be no sense of right and wrong), the poor will feel it the most....i mean if the laws of God and the laws of Love are in vain, then the laws of evolution (survival of the fittest) will take it's place, there will be less people helping the helpless

#29 Posted by SyIar (405 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

I would change...and im pretty sure the rest of the world would change, infact i bet the world would go spiraling down into chaos

people who do believe in God, struggle to do the right thing, imagine telling them there is no God, they would just go crazy

and think about institutions that have been founded on the grounds of religion, there are countries now that are theocracies in all but name, civil war would break out across the globe, economies would crash, mass suicides (there are people whose only strength for getting up in the morning to live their meaningless and terrible life is prayer), people would do whatever they want, there would be no second thoughts (there would be no sense of right and wrong), the poor will feel it the most....i mean if the laws of God and the laws of Love are in vain, then the laws of evolution (survival of the fittest) will take it's place, there will be less people helping the helpless

You can't really believe this....

#30 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio

A Perfect Circle would still suck.

#31 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@SyIar: i do, it doesn't take much to push humanity into chaos, and if you think that in the event that people learned that there is no God, that everyone is going to get over it and move i don't think so, there will be chaos,

#32 Posted by SyIar (405 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

@SyIar: i do, it doesn't take much to push humanity into chaos, and if you think that in the event that people learned that there is no God, that everyone is going to get over it and move i don't think so, there will be chaos,

I can't really say anything as far as people losing faith in themselves or others, but to say that the world would dip into chaos with loss of a moral code from a religious stand point is just wrong. Atheists for the most part are peaceful and can be just as loving as Christians, if not more. Also, I believe evolutionary laws such as "Darwinism (survival of the fittest)" has already been in place since the dawn of man. Look at what we do in the name of defense, but look at the bigger picture. We no longer use spears, we use nuclear war heads. We aren't fighting to survive as a single organism anymore, but as a large unit. A country. A planet. It wouldn't be easy for everyone, but I think for the most part, life would continue if God were proven not to exist. God is subjective to belief. We believe in him, but we don't know him or know that he is there. It's so much easier to not believe in something than to know for fact that it was there and now isn't. If God were proven to exist and then somehow disappeared or left. Now that would be a different story.

#33 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@SyIar: i understand what your saying but, im seeing it from the bottom up, for example what would happen to third world countries that are held together by relgion...don't forget there will groups of people who will be in denial (and might soon turn violent) and also i believe to be human is to go against evolutionary laws such as Darwinism...like caring for sick and poor (when evolution would tell us let them die because they're only holding back the race with their weakness or unfortunate-ness) or sharing resources with other places that lack them so i guess in return i would view acts of war as "un-human"

oh and on the idea of people finding out there was a God and that he left, i believe people would wake up happy to know that their is a God but go to bed in shambles wondering why their "Parent" abandoned them

#34 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

i wouldnt change the way i live. i believe there has to be a higher power out there but since ive never seen this higher power it wouldnt affect my life except that i would have to change a few of the phrases i use.

I'm with you there and their is a higher power. how else would we of gotten here? its like saying how are comics and movies made? by man they just dont happen on their own.

thats the way i see earth and humans....GOD made everyone.

#35 Posted by King Saturn (224817 posts) - - Show Bio
probably not... even if we found out God was not real... this would still not prove that there are other advanced beings in the universe that exist and possibly had hands in concepts with contribute to God ( creation of the universe, proposed sense of feeling the presence of a creator ) why are all these things only attributed to God ? how do we know something else can not do these things that is not God ? 
#36 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34373 posts) - - Show Bio

the question you should be asking is "If there WAS a god........"

#37 Posted by Pokeysteve (8558 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

Nope. I'm pretty much an atheist. I don't do bad things because I'd feel terrible if they were done to me or if I hurt anyone. And I occasionally do nice things because its nice to make people happy. If one's morals are based off the threat of eternal suffering and not empathy, they aren't really morals, are they?

Quoted for truth and accuracy.

#38 Edited by Nefarious (21970 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't change my lifestyle even IF there was a God. I'm an Atheist, anyway. 

#39 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, I believe on God, but aside that I have morals fella, not necessary religious based, it's more personal morals, expirience carry you to believe on what it's good and what bad by your own..... at least on my case

#40 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the super villain idea. lol.

#41 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Already an atheist and don't really give a f**k.

#42 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't change a damn thing.

#43 Posted by megamoses10 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

if people only do good things because they want to go to heaven, then they have already failed at understanding what it means to be a good person. don't do something good because God exist or because you don't want to go to hell, do good things because it is the right thing to do. by the way, i'm a christian and a proud one.

#44 Edited by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

You always seem to come off as "That wacky Christian"

Hmm...................

#45 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Hmm...................

That's because you're stupid.

#46 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@utotheg38 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Hmm...................

Or possibly because I'm right.

#47 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@utotheg38 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Hmm...................

Nope.

Just a very bad troll.

#48 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@utotheg38 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@utotheg38 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Hmm...................

Nope.

Just a very bad troll.

If I'm a stupid troll, Then You're the Stupid person who responded.

#49 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38:

I have no reason not to reply. It's fun watching idiots pretend to be clever.

#50 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio

Get it back on topic.