If TDK happened in the real world?

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

If Joker trapped civilians and criminals in two boats and told them that both will blow up if one doesn't, would they blow each other up?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they would blow each other up

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By silent_bomber

@mandarinestro said:

If Joker trapped civilians and criminals in two boats and told them that both will blow up if one doesn't,

would they blow each other up?

In the real world if Joker said "whoever blows up the other boat gets a million dollars" 80% of the people on the boat would trample each other in a mad dash to blow the other boat up as quickly as possible and claim their prize whilst 20% of the boat would try to stop them.

:)

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Meh just forget about TDK. Nothing special about "realism" bat. Rather watch Batman Animated Series or Batman Brave and The Bold (hey at least this cartoon is perfect potrayal of the character)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Meh just forget about TDK. Nothing special about "realism" bat. Rather watch Batman Animated Series or Batman Brave and The Bold (hey at least this cartoon is perfect potrayal of the character)

What that got to do with anything?

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro said:

If Joker trapped civilians and criminals in two boats and told them that both will blow up if one doesn't,

would they blow each other up?

In the real world if Joker said "whoever blows up the other boat gets a million dollars" 80% of the people on the boat would trample each other in a mad dash to blow the other boat up as quickly as possible and claim their prize whilst 20% of the boat would try to stop them.

:)

So true.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@mandarinestro said:

If Joker trapped civilians and criminals in two boats and told them that both will blow up if one doesn't, would they blow each other up?

Fascinating question. I've always asked what would happen if TDKT occured.

I don't think they would blow each other up.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 frozen  Moderator

Brave and The Bold is cheesy. TAS is far from perfect, he comes across as a chump. JLU Batman is perfect but that doesn't relate to the OP topic of 'real world'.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it would be fifty fifty. Some people would, some people wouldn't.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. They would definitely blow each other. Only part of the movie I really disliked.

Would have been a mainstream masterpiece if it did. Now it's "just" an outstanding CBM.

At the time I was really upset about it. Now it's just a regret.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@bullpr: The fact that they didn't blow each other up was part of the film's message.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I know. And I understand the message.

But it was so far away from what(for me) would have happened in the real life that the really that I was watching a CBM with the codes of a Comic struck back.

So real disappointment as an adult watching a good movie with his wife. But nice feeling for the comic book fan part that is still in me.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@bullpr: I fail to see how the codes of comic stuck. The ending (Batman taking the rap for Dent's crimes) revoked that code.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Technically, the National Guard/Coast Guard would have infiltrated the boats and disarmed the bombs in real life.

But if they didn't, they'd probably blow each other to oblivion.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BullPR

@frozen said:

@bullpr: I fail to see how the codes of comic stuck. The ending (Batman taking the rap for Dent's crimes) revoked that code.

I agree. But you know that when you read a SF book or a Comic, as well as when you're watching movies, the way the characters and the intrigue are introduced will, most of the time, dictate your suspension of disbelief, so you can be emerged in your entertainment, have empathy for the characters, try to guess what will be the next step of the story etc...

In TDK, to have this boat full of criminals have such a strong moral attitude was not what I was expecting. It took me "out" of the movie, his "dark" tone, his realism etc...

In fact I started to laugh. It was so "American" to write this script. Seriously, it's ridiculous.

When I say "American", (I'm from France) I mean full of good sentiments, redemption and bla bla bla.

Not necessary in this movie.

But again, I loved, TDK, for me the best CBM from this new generation.

But it could have been even better without this scene.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this thing would have happened in the real life ?

Both boats are doomed in few seconds.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But to answer the question, you can't give a definitive response considering it may vary depending on the people on the ship, some people may blow the other ship, some won't.

I wonder what would happen if the events of TDKR and BB occured though......

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@knightsofdarkness2 said:

But to answer the question, you can't give a definitive response considering it may vary depending on the people on the ship, some people may blow the other ship, some won't.

BB and TDKR occuring would be much more interesting.

If TDKR occurred, we would be much more afraid of terrorism. The US Government were helpless against Bane and his men - they had a Nuclear device and arming it against a city would cause unthinkable results in the real world, but at the same time people would be more hopeful and Batman would make the history books for saving everyone, possible Religious allegories. Conspiracy theories would arise.

If Batman Begins occurred, I could see the fake Batmen effect occurring soonafter.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@knightsofdarkness2 said:

BB and TDKR occuring would be much more interesting.

If TDKR occurred, we would be much more afraid of terrorism. The US Government were helpless against Bane and his men - they had a Nuclear device and arming it against a city would cause unthinkable results in the real world, but at the same time people would be more hopeful and Batman would make the history books for saving everyone, possible Religious allegories. Conspiracy theories would arise.

If Batman Begins occurred, I could see the fake Batmen effect occurring soonafter.

I agree. If the fear gas from BB was unleashed onto the cities things would be disastrous.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'd have blown each other up, with the civilian boat doing it first.

Avatar image for reversekidflash
ReverseKidFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both have nothing to lose, but Criminals are more at home with murder, so last few standing will be crimmies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If the events of The Dark Knight happened in real life, then they would be heavily politicized.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They would dump all the barrels bomb into the water and have a good laugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They'd have blown each other up, with the civilian boat doing it first.

I would have to say this, most likely.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

If half the sh*t in batman was real no one would stay in Gotham.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

Not necessarily. There are a lot of poor people in Gotham who more than likely can't afford to move.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryagan said:

@dngn4774 said:

Not necessarily. There are a lot of poor people in Gotham who more than likely can't afford to move.

Fair enough. Anyone with the means to leave Gotham would leave. Poor people would either end up homeless or join gangs. I get the feeling it might be more like No Man's Land were the government might actually have to quarantine the city until it was restabilized.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

@ryagan said:

@dngn4774 said:

Fair enough. Anyone with the means to leave Gotham would leave. Poor people would either end up homeless or join gangs. I get the feeling it might be more like No Man's Land were the government might actually have to quarantine the city until it was restabilized.

Realistically, that would make sense. I haven't read No Man's Land, but it's on my list. Based on what I've heard about it, though, it could make for excellent movie material.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@ryagan said:

@dngn4774 said:

@ryagan said:

@dngn4774 said:

Realistically, that would make sense. I haven't read No Man's Land, but it's on my list. Based on what I've heard about it, though, it could make for excellent movie material.

This all happened in The Dark Knight Rises, which was based on No Man's Land.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dngn4774

@ryagan: It's pretty good, but since it's a batbook pretty good gets downgraded to ok when compared to all the other hits featuring batman.

@frozen My point exactly. DKR is a pretty good film, but an ok film compared to the rest of the Nolanverse.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. I guess I mostly think of Knightfall when I think of the stories the movie adapted.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@dngn4774 said:

@ryagan: It's pretty good, but since it's a batbook pretty good gets downgraded to ok when compared to all the other hits featuring batman.

@frozenMy point exactly. DKR is a pretty good film, but an ok film compared to the rest of the Nolanverse.

I thought TDKR was better than Batman Begins. TDK is still the best though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I personally prefer Batman Begins because I felt it had better pacing and better plot structure. Even so, if a film like Batman Begins or The Dark Knight Rises is the worst movie in a trilogy, then you know it's a good trilogy.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Same, but we have to remember that Nolan has been overrated before Batman ever Began.