Ideas to end world hunger?

• 130 results
Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Countries around the world should give up 1% of their military funds budget and donate it to those in need (starving people).

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Invest in scientifically manufactured foods. We already have meat grown in a lab and cow milk is making serious headway. There is no need to even have cattle anymore.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai said:

Invest in scientifically manufactured foods. We already have meat grown in a lab and cow milk is making serious headway. There is no need to even have cattle anymore.

the problem with that is that if i remember correctly, a single hamburger patty made of meat grown in a lab costs 800 dollars.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@makhai said:

the problem with that is that if i remember correctly, a single hamburger patty made of meat grown in a lab costs 800 dollars.

It was significantly larger than that. It was more like 100k IIRC. But the price dropped dramatically. There was an article that came out this month that updated that price tag. A lab grown hamburger is now $13.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai said:

@sodamyat said:

@makhai said:

It was significantly larger than that. It was more like 100k IIRC. But the price dropped dramatically. There was an article that came out this month that updated that price tag. A lab grown hamburger is now $13.

great news ! i havnt read it yet, but i'll be sure to read it tomorrow.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@makhai said:

@sodamyat said:

@makhai said:

great news ! i havnt read it yet, but i'll be sure to read it tomorrow.

It just goes to show you how investing in science is only expensive at first. Once the technology is old hat, it is as cheap as anything.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#58 SC  Moderator

Its about how you think about such issues. Any idea meant as a solution to world hunger is an idea that is going to require solving other problems, except its not really about solving problems, its about managing resources and costs, balancing ideas. Same as anything really, just think about it on a small scale. I sacrifice my time, to do a task for others, in order to receive money, in order to buy things I like. So I have a job basically. The variables involved there are easy to consider and comprehend, I could sacrifice more time to potentially get more money, which could mean I could buy more things. Or I could sacrifice less time and if potentially get less money. Change a variable, understand the consequence, as an individual, I can mostly decide personally if I want more money or more free time. There may be some restrictions as well, for example I can't literally work all the time to get all the money… thats not how it works. That would be an unrealistic idea of how things work and since we are looking at a relatively simple process most people understand that too.

As a collective? The variables of ending world hunger comes with costs and benefits and involves a multitude of variables that overlap with everything else, distribution of resources, politics, personal freedoms, ideologies about society and responsibilities of those societies, of groups, individuals. Lots and lots of variables with their own processes with costs and benefits, sacrifices, priorities. Unlike my own personal decision about whether I should work more to get more money, a much larger problem involving a much larger group on individuals… much slower to come to decisions more things to consider and weigh up, again different costs and benefits, some people prefer more money, some people prefer more time, and for some people other things are more important.

A common habit for us humans is to draw connections between effort and reward, so the more effort, the more reward, except… well generally its more complicated than that, specifically the conclusions people draw, not always being correct. One way that world hunger could be resolved is if people had a better understanding of economics, psychology, science, history, and each other, other people. Then those with what could be considered excess resources could share with those that could be considered to be struggling with the resources they have. Except again its more complicated than that, some individuals/groups are better at managing resources than others, some groups/individuals are better at acquiring resources better than others, other variables. Add in perceptions, which aren't perfect and add in that educating people, to make them understand is its own type of resource… same as experience which is a gradual process and doesn't always lead to increased understanding/empathy towards others, sometimes it can lead to bitterness and selfishness.

So a lot of ideas to end world hunger exist and have existed for a long time, there aren't going to be any new ideas that suddenly solve the problem, the fastest solution would be some sort of major technological development, which in of itself would bring its own positives and negatives, solutions and problems, and the most steady and sure methods are somewhat obvious (increases in general technology, understanding, empathy, leading to more sharing, unity, less selfishness/greed), already in progress, albeit with fluctuations and slow, just because of the sheer logistics involved, really slow. I mean best case scenario alongside some revolutionary new amazing technological breakthrough, occurs parallel to some sort of sociological tipping point, where peoples apathy is replaced by motivation and conviction, emotions by reason and logic, fear with empathy, and ignorance with humility and desire to learn, leading to politicians and leaders having to up there game, but thats unlikely and so individuals shouldn't just wait for that to happen. I think people should just do best to leave the world better when they leave it. Thats a lot more manageable for most.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell them to buy more money

*lights my Cuban cigar with a 1000$ bill*

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wealth redistrubution...

Or people being less fu*ked up.

No Caption Provided

THIS

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tell them to buy more money

*lights my Cuban cigar with a 1000$ bill*

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is a difficult thing to end, I perceive it as something that will be a long term problem. There are countries that are highly progressive in economic situation but the Leaders are still in the verge of thinking how to end it. Maybe if being greedy will also end and becoming selflessness is always practiced perhaps the world will soon learn on how to end it. Not just practically give food, but also help them raise their country or place. :)

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to get rid of the corruption first, which means getting rid of the humans....

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They can eat grass, It's not bad for you and It's better then nothing. Include leaves and bark.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

find better ways and cleaner ways to recycle water

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will someone get the kid a happy meal

BB

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get rid of the people we don't need :P

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

clone food

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SheenLantern

@uare: Wh--wha..? Are you insane? Do you have any idea how long it takes for even the most insignificant of changes to take place? We're talking hundreds of thousands of years. Also, on what basis are these "naturally unselected" being wiped out? Not lower intelligence, not physical insufficiencies, just because they were born in a place that didn't have any money. You're just looking for an excuse to clear your conscience so you don't have to feel at all guilty about your warm house, your clean tap water and high speed internet while people halfway across the world just as evolved as you are starve to death on the street.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By Saren

Just eat more

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The secret to it all is to forget it exists.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Battle Royale

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They can eat grass, It's not bad for you and It's better then nothing. Include leaves and bark.

Grass is very hard to digest along with the fact that it wears down teeth. Leaves are hard to digest as well but I think bark is more edible than grass and leaves...

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Its about how you think about such issues. Any idea meant as a solution to world hunger is an idea that is going to require solving other problems, except its not really about solving problems, its about managing resources and costs, balancing ideas. Same as anything really, just think about it on a small scale. I sacrifice my time, to do a task for others, in order to receive money, in order to buy things I like. So I have a job basically. The variables involved there are easy to consider and comprehend, I could sacrifice more time to potentially get more money, which could mean I could buy more things. Or I could sacrifice less time and if potentially get less money. Change a variable, understand the consequence, as an individual, I can mostly decide personally if I want more money or more free time. There may be some restrictions as well, for example I can't literally work all the time to get all the money… thats not how it works. That would be an unrealistic idea of how things work and since we are looking at a relatively simple process most people understand that too.

As a collective? The variables of ending world hunger comes with costs and benefits and involves a multitude of variables that overlap with everything else, distribution of resources, politics, personal freedoms, ideologies about society and responsibilities of those societies, of groups, individuals. Lots and lots of variables with their own processes with costs and benefits, sacrifices, priorities. Unlike my own personal decision about whether I should work more to get more money, a much larger problem involving a much larger group on individuals… much slower to come to decisions more things to consider and weigh up, again different costs and benefits, some people prefer more money, some people prefer more time, and for some people other things are more important.

A common habit for us humans is to draw connections between effort and reward, so the more effort, the more reward, except… well generally its more complicated than that, specifically the conclusions people draw, not always being correct. One way that world hunger could be resolved is if people had a better understanding of economics, psychology, science, history, and each other, other people. Then those with what could be considered excess resources could share with those that could be considered to be struggling with the resources they have. Except again its more complicated than that, some individuals/groups are better at managing resources than others, some groups/individuals are better at acquiring resources better than others, other variables. Add in perceptions, which aren't perfect and add in that educating people, to make them understand is its own type of resource… same as experience which is a gradual process and doesn't always lead to increased understanding/empathy towards others, sometimes it can lead to bitterness and selfishness.

So a lot of ideas to end world hunger exist and have existed for a long time, there aren't going to be any new ideas that suddenly solve the problem, the fastest solution would be some sort of major technological development, which in of itself would bring its own positives and negatives, solutions and problems, and the most steady and sure methods are somewhat obvious (increases in general technology, understanding, empathy, leading to more sharing, unity, less selfishness/greed), already in progress, albeit with fluctuations and slow, just because of the sheer logistics involved, really slow. I mean best case scenario alongside some revolutionary new amazing technological breakthrough, occurs parallel to some sort of sociological tipping point, where peoples apathy is replaced by motivation and conviction, emotions by reason and logic, fear with empathy, and ignorance with humility and desire to learn, leading to politicians and leaders having to up there game, but thats unlikely and so individuals shouldn't just wait for that to happen. I think people should just do best to leave the world better when they leave it. Thats a lot more manageable for most.

Flagged.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Books and the natural advancing of civilization will eventually stomp it out.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#78 SC  Moderator

@elderskaar: You mean like how everyone did that to your alt? ^_^.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Golden Rice. It's dirt cheap, grows anywhere like a weed, has enough nutrients that a single 1kg bag feeds a whole family for a week, and it goes good with fish.

But people don't want to use it because of the Anti-GMO nonsense.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: I along with many others probably would never eat a piece of lab grown meat ever

M-174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mature molecular nano-technology.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Охренеть! Так ты и на русском говорить умеешь?)

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Flagged again.

Joke :D

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

@makhai: I along with many others probably would never eat a piece of lab grown meat ever

Why not?

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Change NASA's budget from half a penny on tax dollar to full penny then sit back, and watch them come up with food replicators. Problem solved.

PotatoBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an idea

Pink Floyd Meat Grinder

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#89  Edited By SOG7dc

@cyberwarrior: whoa...I've not yet mastered the language to that level lol. I will, though. Ich werde sprechen mit Sie auf Deutsch?

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knock down the human population.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Me neither ;D

Pardon moi, je ne parle pas allemand, juste français!)

@Rubear: Здаров! Как жизнь?)

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@edamame said:
@uare said:

@sheenlantern:

This world is overpopulated.

This is simply not true.

So many people fail to comprehend this.

World hunger is not a problem of food, it's a problem of money. There is more than enough food, water, space and resources on the planet for everyone a couple times over. It's just that some people are destined to starve on the streets on the basis that they don't have the arbitrary amount of green paper necessary to survive.

Statistically Earth can support about 9 billion people if resources were distributed equally. Over population is only a problem because Western lifestyles tend to emphasize squandering resources at an excessive rate.

@edamame said:

Why does food cost money?

Reminds me of the ice bucket challenge

No Caption Provided

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Rpgesus

@makhai: because it is just not right

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#95  Edited By Rouflex

Kill the corruption and give food to the people.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#96  Edited By Rouflex

@sc said:

But what if he had a point?

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

@makhai: because it is just not right

What is not right about it?

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get rid of the "free market" and make one world power that's socialist, then everyone will have equal pay and food. Remove the bondage of classes cause the corperations are using their government ties to use the poor for their corporate gains. I was blind till my college professor opened my eyes

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Knock down the human population.

You're like Bill Gates dude. EVIL

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points