• 52 results
#1 Posted by judasnixon (6103 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not upset. I have a job, but this company called me for a job interview because they wanted me to work there. Then they found out I have tattoos, and declined the offer. Not mad...... Just think it's funny.

#2 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (8729 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the job? And what are your tatoos?

#3 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17522 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow that is pretty pathetic...

#4 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10917 posts) - - Show Bio

The ignorance of some people in todays world still never fails to anger me. Whether you're not mad or you are, that kind of crap is ridiculous.

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (38176 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeez, talk about being sheltered.

#6 Posted by judasnixon (6103 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_wildcard: A chef. I have a lot of tattoos. Nothing on the face, neck, and hands.

#8 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (20130 posts) - - Show Bio

How remarkable... Who cares if you are talented or competent anyway... If you have tatoos, GET THE F**K OUT.

#9 Edited by danhimself (22219 posts) - - Show Bio

Shouldn't have been a problem as long as they canbe covered with regular clothes

#10 Edited by JetiiMitra (8084 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, it's their business.

#11 Posted by Ishkafel (104 posts) - - Show Bio

That's funny cause all the chefs I've known personally have tattoos, granted they were never in areas where it can't be covered by a shirt and long sleeves but still

#12 Posted by kyrees (4378 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: maybe it entailed the chef to go shirtless ? XD

#13 Posted by RisingBean (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is reasonable for a business that deals with the public to hire or decline to hire (or fire if the tats are added later and against the dress code) a person as it can affect their bottom line. However if those tattoos are placed in areas that would be covered by clothing and/or you don't deal with the public, I don't understand why the tattoos would be a big deal.

In your case Judas the decision seems bad from where I'm sitting.

#14 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

If the company has a dress code, you have to deal with it. No offense, but someone with no tattoos looks way more formal than someone with them. Although since when was being a chef formal? 99% of every chefs have tattoos...

#15 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing on the neck, face, or hands hmmm what did you wear to the interview? Were you told point blank you were not being hired because of your tattoos?

#16 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen Police officers with tattoos before.

But seriously?

#17 Posted by AweSam (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom said:

Nothing on the neck, face, or hands hmmm what did you wear to the interview? Were you told point blank you were not being hired because of your tattoos?

Doubt it and I also doubt the only reason you were turned down was because of your tattoos. Also, it depends on the tattoos. You're not exactly making the place look presentable if you have a big skull on your back.

#18 Posted by Jayc1324 (8907 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for some jobs its just better to have someone with out tattoos. Nothing new here

#19 Edited by Squares (4709 posts) - - Show Bio

Are we talking neck tattoos or something? Or something really offensive?

#20 Posted by RogueShadow (9830 posts) - - Show Bio

Not enough info. What are the specifics?

#21 Posted by judasnixon (6103 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

Are we talking neck tattoos or something?

Nope....

#22 Posted by Skullken (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta side with the business, I took my mother out to a restaurant once and the cashier, although a nice person, had a tattoo of a naked woman on his arm. My mother was not offended by it, but it was uncomfortable for all.

Now I'm not saying your tattoos are wrong, but there is a stereo type that follows them. Especially if you have more than two or three.

#23 Posted by russellmania77 (14430 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone's mad lol

#24 Edited by Bushwhacker_ (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh. Their business. They can do what they want.. But that does suck.

#25 Posted by Orician_Seis (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I agree with them. When you get a tattoo of any kind you agree to the terms and conditions. You accept that you're throwing away certain job opportunities. Both my arms have tattoos on them. I understand that they will prevent me from having a "respectable job" I'm okay with that.

#26 Edited by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_wildcard: A chef. I have a lot of tattoos. Nothing on the face, neck, and hands.

so wait they couldnt see them and yet they still denied you the job? something dosent add up about that at all

#27 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I agree with them. When you get a tattoo of any kind you agree to the terms and conditions. You accept that you're throwing away certain job opportunities. Both my arms have tattoos on them. I understand that they will prevent me from having a "respectable job" I'm okay with that.

i halfway agree if it involves demonic non appropriate tatts. now if it was like a memorial tattoo or something that isnt dark than i dont see the issue at all. i dont have any tattoos myself but i do believe there are a lot of people who hate them because they dont understand the meaning behind them so instead of thinking they decide to demonize all tattoos

#28 Posted by judasnixon (6103 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

so wait they couldnt see them and yet they still denied you the job? something dosent add up about that at all

Oh no they can see them. I'm sleeved. I wore a short sleeve shirt. I'm not angry. I just find it funny.

#29 Edited by Extremis (3326 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

I'm not upset. I have a job, but this company called me for a job interview because they wanted me to work there. Then they found out I have tattoos, and declined the offer. Not mad...... Just think it's funny.

I always thought it was funny how we live in a world that claims to be so against discrimination yet that's all businesses do when they hire people. They are constantly trying to keep a certain appearance to their employees. It's like being an individual is looked down upon. Your hair can't be too unorthodox, you can't have piercings, ink, etc.

Sorry to hear it man. But it sounds like your head is in the right place. Don't let it get you down. The world will change, no matter how slow.

#30 Edited by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Tattoos make you look unprofessional, and too many look trashy IMO. However, it does completely depend on the company, occupation and clientele, some places are more lenient than others, I have met with web designer companies that frown on it and other art buyers who are covered with ink themselves.....it's all random I guess.

#31 Posted by Eisenfauste (6766 posts) - - Show Bio

All depends on the managers of different business's some don't mind, while others do.

#32 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Not surprised. I'm sad I'm not though.

#33 Posted by ARMIV2 (8271 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, could they see your tattoos?

#34 Posted by Brolytard1337 (295 posts) - - Show Bio

#35 Posted by silent_bomber (1499 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a Nightclub close to my house that refuses entry to people with tattoos, not an upmarket place or anything, just a mainstream, dimly lit Nightclub, I don't have tattoos myself, but was always refused entry due to having dreadlocks at the time.

My friends kept going there regardless, and over the years I built up a lot of resentment for the place LOL.

#36 Posted by WillPayton (9055 posts) - - Show Bio

For some jobs, if you're dealing with the public, it's understandable for a business to think that someone with a certain look will not fit the image that they want to project. Even if not dealing with the public, it might not fit in with their culture. It also depends on what the tattoos are.

Anyway, when you get tattooed you should understand that you're closing certain doors for yourself in the future, especially if you're getting large, visible, or controversial/offensive tattoos. Same thing with a job as with finding a relationship. Certain tattoos in certain places will automatically give people a negative impression of you. That's just the way it is.

#37 Posted by Immortal777 (6703 posts) - - Show Bio

That's life for you.

#38 Edited by ShootingNova (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

I myself have no tattoos and never plan to get one, but it's funny to see people who absolutely despise them. A lot of people stereotype others based on things such as tattoos. That said, tattoos do leave a rather negative mark on society as it is now.

#39 Posted by Bruxae (12271 posts) - - Show Bio

Be glad you dodged a shitty boss I guess, sounds like he has really unrealistic standards for a chef position. If you would have to work the counter I can better understand his position, even if I do not agree with it.

#40 Posted by loplopool (495 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: if ur from britain you can sue the shit out of them aslong as theres none on hands neck and face employers have no right to say anything unless it is racist

#41 Posted by Pyrogram (34440 posts) - - Show Bio

Some tattoos make you look unprofessional depending on the role and uniform. It's understandable.

#42 Posted by PowerHerc (80827 posts) - - Show Bio

The real world works in ways most unfair.

#43 Posted by Erik (31480 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: You wore a short-sleeved shirt to an interview? Maybe you got turned down for being under-dressed.

#44 Posted by hyiena (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik said:

@judasnixon: You wore a short-sleeved shirt to an interview? Maybe you got turned down for being under-dressed.

#45 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9332 posts) - - Show Bio
@hyiena said:

@erik said:

Anyways, I feel like most jobs in the future will mostly get rid of tattoo 'discrimination'. I mean, probably over 60% of my college class will be graduating with at least 2 tattoos somewhere on their body. Granted, face, neck, and hand tattoos may never lose their stigma.

#47 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio

@yokergeist: Don't threaten CV posters. Don't tell users they are your enemies or tell them to beware the Geists. Not going to say this again.

#48 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry to hear about that judasnixon. Their loss though really.

#49 Posted by ImpurestCheese (4553 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: There loss I'm sure. At least that's what I think. Your tats shouldn't make a difference if your not directly interfacing with the public and are covered

#50 Posted by Fallschirmjager (14730 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally as long as tattoos aren't offensive (or at least could be covered up) I probably wouldn't care.

My job told me I couldn't having any displaying tattoos, or any piercings except ears (and even then its regulated) but I kept my piercings in anyway and no one has said a wordl ol