I Was JUST Leaving...

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

Edited By Gold Dust Boi

You know how it is...you collect a crossover...or get a final issue...or someone's death and then you want to know what happens next!  Then suddenly before you know it you're collecting one (or in the case of crossovers) several new series that you would have otherwise not bothered collecting.   It happened to me once before, and before I knew it I was collecting everything Marvel made except Daredevil and Silver Surfer.  Well I was determined not to let that happen again this time so after the death of Johnny Storm I gave the new FF series several issues to grab my attention (since I hadn't been collecting Fantastic Four until the Countdown to 3 storyline).  Well as I picked up issue #5 last month I was fully ready to have it be the last issue of FF I bothered to buy.  The storylines were boring and sort of relied on you knowing a decent amount of Fantastic Four back story so I wondered why they bothered cancelling Fantastic Four at all rather then just give Spider-man a "4" costume.  And then I read issue 5...

WOW! After wrapping up a lackluster storyline and I was preparing to call it quits, suddenly who shows up but Black Bolt and the Inhumans??  You know what?  After going through Son of M, Silent War, War of Kings, and Realm of Kings I felt like this reveal was worth picking up another issue.  So I picked up issue #6 and was drawn to the intriguing manipulations of the Supreme Intelligence, wondering all the while "where is Black Bolt?", and then as the issue drew to a close we watch him float aimlessly, lifelessly within the fault...and then he comes to.  

Then I pick up #7.  To watch him use his power with such abandon, like he never has before was frightening to say the least.  And if anyone had any doubt as to whether it was really him, just ask Medusa, who picked right up with her husband as though they had never been apart.  BUT...Watching him discard the Kree Empire the way he did for some strange Inhuman polygamist prophecy (which apparently Medusa is entirely cool with) was honestly just a bit too much for me.  

However, regardless of my personal feelings towards the situation, I was completely enraptured by the telling of the story.  But, where was the Future Foundation?  And why do I only enjoy the book when they aren't in it?  Now, as I said, I was JUST leaving this series when I got sucked back in by this storyline, and if I can buy the book for the Inhumans then I can give the FF a few more months to win me over.  If we are really lucky, the intense and exciting storytelling I am loving right now will continue once the action returns to Earth and the title characters.
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CATPANEXE

I like the Inhumans and Black Bolt, and I can see where this was needed propping to get back to the story they'd paused on during the F4 run, but this part could have been released
as a companion 1-shot to the series so we could keep with the Future Foundation themselves. Obviously with his new attitude and approach are off and it's likely it's not the true King, or something is seriously amiss with him though.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ElCapitan

It's funny how my stance on FF is entirely opposite yours. I love the FF, but the Inhumans are a huge bore for me. Thankfully, this little two issue digression has me coming around on them. I'm crazy curious about what's gonna happen because I think Black Bolt came back wrong.

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
@el33tcapitan: I definitely think he came back somehow wrong.  Or maybe this is just a side of the Inhumans that we've never seen?  After all Medusa is going right along with this whole deal and I wouldn't have thought she'd be ok with plural marriage OR abandoning the Kree