• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

So I was talking with this guy on the campus... He strongly advocates space travel and "branching out" into space, which is by far not the most ridiculous thing he's ever said...

He went on to say people are working on a real "warp drive" which is shaped like a football with a doughnut around it, the doughnut spins faster than light and pulls you with it.

He tried telling me that lasers could push large, physical objects because of their incredible energy.

He then went on to say that he doesn't believe in gravity.

I had no idea how to respond to him so I just ignored him from that point on... What would you have done?

#2 Posted by Inverno (13330 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

So I was talking with this guy on the campus... He strongly advocates space travel and "branching out" into space, which is by far not the most ridiculous thing he's ever said...

He went on to say people are working on a real "warp drive" which is shaped like a football with a doughnut around it, the doughnut spins faster than light and pulls you with it.

He tried telling me that lasers could push large, physical objects because of their incredible energy.

I had no idea how to respond to him so I just ignored him from that point on... What would you have done?

Ask him if he is high and what kind of stuff he was on?

#3 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have told him, "That's really interesting, but Murder She Wrote is starting in twenty minutes."

#4 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

He knows too much.  
I must find him. 
And eliminate him before he spreads the word.

#5 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... He's kinda right about lasers bit. And his warp drive somewhat sounds like the Alcubierre drive that scientists are actually working... As explained by an incredibly stupid person.

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (25051 posts) - - Show Bio

While I do agree that space travel would be awesome our technology just isn't at the point where it'd be an every day thing. As for the warp drive thing, dude is nuts and lasers can't push anything they mostly they're just cutting tools

#7 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he was talking about a particle accelerator. The lasers are true, scientists think they can make giant objects like asteroids go off course by hitting it with lasers.

He doesn't believe gravity. I must say he must have never fell down.

#8 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

Well... He's kinda right about lasers bit. And his warp drive somewhat sounds like the Alcubierre drive that scientists are actually working... As explained by an incredibly stupid person.

Links? This flies in the face of... Hmmm... All of physics :)

#9 Posted by Pyrogram (41246 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matchstick said:

So he's dumb for paying attention to modern science? Everything he said is based on current scientific theory.
Football shaped warp drive

Laser propulsion

Disproof of gravity

Humans must colonize space

That disproof of gravity is staggeringly wrong. Whoever wrote it was an imbecile.

Warp drive: "exotic matter". That could simply mean "stuff that, as far as we know, doesn't exist", and I saw no evidence or writing on that article that indicates they've developed a machine that could "bend space-time". I read ideas and fiction and uses of such things in the real world, nothing more.

Humans don't need to colonize space.

The laser article is not about lasers physically moving anything, it demonstrates that lasers (or more properly, microwaves, very high-frequency electromagnetic waves, not unlike radio waves,) would heat up a fuel source and use the heated fuel to propel the ship.

That is all vastly different than what this man proposed, and what you seem to be proposing.

#12 Edited by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matchstick: The disproof of gravity thing isn't entirely accurate. It has been shown that their are things that have so little mass that they are not as easily pulled by gravity. Helium is lighter than the air of our atmosphere. It's quite clear that gravity can be fought but that does not mean it does not exist. All that this really does, potentially, is alter the idea of how gravity works. Something that needs to be kept in mind about that idea is that it is just theoretical at this point, whereas gravity is considered proven. There are not a considerable amount of scientist that adhere to this theory either. Still it is a fascinating concept to say the least.

#13 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@AtPhantom said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam-powered_propulsion#Direct_impulse

Solar sail is probably the most cost efficient and plausible propulsion method we know of so far. Provided we ever manage to make a sail, that is.

As for warp drive,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Nobody's really working on it, we still have no goddamn idea how to do that, but it kicked up a lot of dust last year when scientists announced that energy requirements for such a drive to work were far lower than they previously thought and are actually within reach today. Interest in the drive has been high ever since, to the point that NASA has actually started projects investigating the thing.

#14 Posted by Nightwing28710 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say if you don't believe in gravity then jump off that building.

#15 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, Jesus, I expected better from Stephen Hawking than to jump on the "SPACE OR DEATH" bandwagon. :(

#16 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

Also, Jesus, I expected better from Stephen Hawking than to jump on the "SPACE OR DEATH" bandwagon. :(

I didn't. He's been an advocate of such things for years, to my knowledge, and he's very much just a pop icon now.

@AtPhantom said:

@minigunman123 said:

@AtPhantom said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam-powered_propulsion#Direct_impulse

Solar sail is probably the most cost efficient and plausible propulsion method we know of so far. Provided we ever manage to make a sail, that is.

As for warp drive,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Nobody's really working on it, we still have no goddamn idea how to do that, but it kicked up a lot of dust last year when scientists announced that energy requirements for such a drive to work were far lower than they previously thought and are actually within reach today. Interest in the drive has been high ever since, to the point that NASA has actually started projects investigating the thing.

So in other words... Speaking from the voice of reason rather than hope, warp drive = bunk idea.

As for the solar sail, I shall look it up later... I'm actually sitting in the college library :| I should get back to chem homework.

#17 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: It may be different but you are discounting all those theories as junk science which they are not. Most science relies on theoretical ideas but that does not mean they should be discounted simply because of that. I agree that the person you talked to was highly misinformed about the nature of these theories but he was vaguely speaking of real things however he was speaking of them in an incredibly simplified way that gave no justice to the complexities on the theory's he was speaking of.

#18 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwing28710 said:

I should've said that to him...

#19 Posted by Vortex13 (12264 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: You told me you were seventeen, how are you in college?

#20 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio
@minigunman123:   I'm not proposing anything, just pointing out that the things he was talking about are based on actual scientific theory.  The only thing he mentioned that I actually agree with is the bit about colonizing space.  All it would take to wipe us out is a big enough asteroid hitting us and there are hundreds of them in our solar system big enough to get the job done. Earth's already had 5 extinction events, another is not outside the realm of possibility. 

@Vortex13: I don't buy into it myself either.
#21 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

The irony of it all.

#23 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if his science is off at least he is thinking. Ideas no matter how cooky inspire new technology.

#24 Posted by The Stegman (25539 posts) - - Show Bio

He's right, Gravity is a myth, the government is behind the entire thing.

#25 Posted by cameron83 (7630 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: I KNOW RIGHT!!!

THANK YOU,BROTHA!!!!!

CONSPIRACY!

#26 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a kid who have been reading a bunch of theories that he have trouble explaining/comprehending.

#27 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't you just love it when English majors watch a few minute physics videos and all of a sudden think they know more than you do :)

#28 Posted by Aronmorales (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

Even if his science is off at least he is thinking. Ideas no matter how cooky inspire new technology.

That's quite motivational.

#29 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aronmorales said:

@Blood1991 said:

That's quite motivational.

That's how I roll

#30 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

He knows too much. I must find him. And eliminate him before he spreads the word.

Quick Robin, to the Batcave!

#31 Posted by ScruffyNerfherder (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Turn him in for doing drugs on campus.

#32 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

I was in a newspaper for being in college at 14... I've taken about a year and a half off though for various personal reasons, but yeah. The article isn't online anymore because it was a school newspaper, but still, it felt kind of cool. I'm going to get my two year degree next year, probably in the summer.

#33 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@Vortex13 said:

I was in a newspaper for being in college at 14... I've taken about a year and a half off though for various personal reasons, but yeah. The article isn't online anymore because it was a school newspaper, but still, it felt kind of cool. I'm going to get my two year degree next year, probably in the summer.

Only on the internet

#34 Posted by dtm1980 (240 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123:

Honestly if he said he didn't believe in gravity, you should have invited him to go ten floors up and prove gravity wrong lol

#35 Posted by Nightwing28710 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@Nightwing28710 said:

I can see it now. He's falling and screaming "gravity is an illusion". splat

#36 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

So he's dumb for proposing questions and reading up on the latest scientific postulations? 

I'm glad we're still living in the Dark Ages, guys. 

#37 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nightwing28710 said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Nightwing28710 said:

I can see it now. He's falling and screaming "gravity is an illusion". splat

Lol, that'd be epic... but I'd probably get in trouble ;(

@Blood1991 said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Vortex13 said:

Only on the internet

What do you mean?

#38 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said:
So he's dumb for proposing questions and reading up on the latest scientific postulations?   I'm glad we're still living in the Dark Ages, guys. 
Huzzah to that! 
Pass me some mead.
#39 Edited by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decoy Elite said:

@Illuminatus said:

So he's dumb for proposing questions and reading up on the latest scientific postulations?   I'm glad we're still living in the Dark Ages, guys. 
Huzzah to that! Pass me some mead.
Only if you sell me your oldest daughter.
#40 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you not considered that his comments may be a simplified construct, a model by which he chose to explain complicated theorem to a perceived intellectual inferior?

#41 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod said:

Have you not considered that his comments may be a simplified construct, a model by which he chose to explain complicated theorem to a perceived intellectual inferior?

Trying way too hard to sound way too smart.

No, the guy was just stupid. He couldn't explain anything to me, he was just spouting nonsense.

#42 Posted by Deadite (24827 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

Ask him if he believe there're lizard people among us. It seems like something he would easily accept if he can convince himself there's no gravity. The doughnut thing was really wild.

It sounds like his hard drive went on lock down a long time ago.

#43 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadite said:

@minigunman123 said:

Ask him if he believe there're lizard people among us. It seems like something he would easily accept if he can convince himself there's no gravity. The doughnut thing was really wild.

It sounds like his hard drive went on lock down a long time ago.

Oh, please. Lizard people are real.

Have you seen pictures of Michael Jackson?

#44 Posted by Joygirl (20156 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: I know someone who thinks Daylight Savings Time is a celestial event.

#45 Posted by Deadite (24827 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

Oh, please. Lizard people are real.

Have you seen pictures of Michael Jackson?

The lizardness.

#46 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

@minigunman123: I know someone who thinks Daylight Savings Time is a celestial event.

To be honest, I had never learned or looked up anything about DST, so I just never cared what it was. After looking it up though, that is quite funny.

#47 Posted by Joygirl (20156 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@Joygirl said:

To be honest, I had never learned or looked up anything about DST, so I just never cared what it was. After looking it up though, that is quite funny.

I believe the exact quote was "Oh yay, now the flowers will get an extra hour of sunlight!"

#48 Posted by ARMIV2 (8808 posts) - - Show Bio

I've run into guys like that. They probably have an idea of what they're talking about but they can't formulate it right for some weird reason, and all the while you're trying to follow along but you only get further and further into that weird little jungle of "awkward".

That not believing in gravity thing is weird.

#49 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@ARMIV2 said:

I've run into guys like that. They probably have an idea of what they're talking about but they can't formulate it right for some weird reason, and all the while you're trying to follow along but you only get further and further into that weird little jungle of "awkward".

That not believing in gravity thing is weird.

Not even that... I actually tried explaining why, at least in his description of them, the things he was talking about were wrong and silly.

He didn't understand and just smiled and waved his hands and said "well it works, so I don't know what to tell you".

I don't think he had any idea what he was talking about lol, probably just read a few articles half-way and thought "OOO STAR TREK", and then tried misappropriating the whole notion of "theory" to mean that gravity isn't real/true.

#50 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Still not as crazy as those people who claim Katrina was caused by the Government