#1 Posted by mikesterman (744 posts) - - Show Bio

i always have an idea of what i want to write. i always have the huskiest parts down, its writing in between the action that i have a hard time with, any tips?

#3 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (10002 posts) - - Show Bio

Music usually helps, its just depends on the tone of whats going on. Sad songs for sad parts, songs that make you think about love when its a date or your thinking about interactions between the couple. Just listen to different songs and see what they do.

#4 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@hero92 said:

Music usually helps, its just depends on the tone of whats going on. Sad songs for sad parts, songs that make you think about love when its a date or your thinking about interactions between the couple.

Right, music helps me and other I know, too!

Also, sometimes reading something completely different from the usual stuff is very therapeutic for me.

#5 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17816 posts) - - Show Bio

Id say make it so you know the characters you are writing. Give them good dialogue between each other. Write parts where it gives the reader a chance to get to know the character, a bit more. Add something to their character. For example if you are writing a Batman story you could have Bruce Wayne go and visit crime alley where his parents dies, and his entire life changed in that moment. Something like that is always good to help balance the action.

It will vary greatly depending on what story you writing, what genre, which characters, etc.

#6 Posted by mikesterman (744 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by Cable_Extreme (9036 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers block, I have felt this curse before. What I do is first determine the genre I wish to write, I then start making dot lines that deal with topics, I then branch off from the topics to get more specific and then put them in order and then "bamf", I have a structure to follow. An example as follows.

Lets say my topic is Deathstroke

• His origin
  • His speed
  • His strength
  • His brain enhancements
  • His armor / equipment
  • his history with the Teen Titans
  • How he has changed since his origin

After I would make a quick broad checklist, I can then simplify it and expand on the most important issue. Such as follows

• How he got his enhancements that we now know him by today.
  • How much did his enhancements increase his speed and here are some examples.
  • How much Strength has he lost or gained since his creation.
  • What percentage of brain enhancements did he receive from the enhancement formula.
  • The effect Nth metal armor, and examples of how he uses his weapons
  • Reasons he was contracted to take out the teen titans, and what makes him such a threat.
  • How he has changed such as pre-52 Flashpoint New-52 ect...

So start with a basic outline, and then make the broad outline more specific. Order it in the way that with each paragraph adds on to the previous, and you will write a lot easier.

#8 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

Write whatever comes to mind, even if it's terrible. Then, if you like some of what you see, polish, tighten, and expand on it. That helps me power through writers block.

#9 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17816 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader genre is action and i have super human characters.

Well as I said spend time fleshing out your characters. Whatever genre they maybe.

#10 Posted by Squares (5248 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers block, I have felt this curse before. What I do is first determine the genre I wish to write, I then start making dot lines that deal with topics, I then branch off from the topics to get more specific and then put them in order and then "bamf", I have a structure to follow. An example as follows.

• His origin
  • His speed
  • His strength
  • His brain enhancements
  • His armor / equipment

After I would make a quick broad checklist, I can then simplify it and expand on the most important issue. Such as follows

• What percentage of brain enhancements did he receive from the enhancement formula.
  • Reasons he was contracted to take out the teen titans, and what makes him such a threat.

So start with a basic outline, and then make the broad outline more specific. Order it in the way that with each paragraph adds on to the previous, and you will write a lot easier.

That's a really organized approach to writing. Very nice.

#11 Edited by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Go for a walk or get drunk. That usually helps me.

#12 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9036 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:
@cable_extreme said:

• His origin
  • His speed
  • His strength
  • His brain enhancements
  • His armor / equipment

That's a really organized approach to writing. Very nice.

Well it helps me survive college lol.

#13 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Exercise helps if you need a boost.

Also, force yourself to write. It's horrible but do it.

#15 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio