• 52 results
Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pfcoolio14

Every single time I read something about Dragon Ball Evolution, it's always something about how if they did this certain thing differently, then perhaps the movie would have been better. I think you're just fooling yourselves. The things that go on in manga and anime are just too much and too ridiculous for an actual big screen movie(Not all anime and manga of course). This is only multiplied by the fact that the stories are so linear.

Think about it. Do you honestly think a modern American audience would want to watch a movie about a a dude with a ridiculous haircut who barely pays attention to his family. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's the fact that it wouldn't translate well into a live action movie. It would like leprechaun vomit. Kamehameha wouldn't work, Spirit bomb wouldn't work, and there's no way in hell Super Saiyan is gonna work. There's gonna be so much CGI in it that it would make no sense. There's also the fact that it isn't mainstream enough. The reason comics work as movies is because there's no one set story line American superheroes fall. So directors could tweak as much as they wanted. But tweaking a DB movie would probably make the fans of DBZ angry.

If a DBZ movie were to work, then fans would have to accept a massive aesthetic change(Particularly regular haired people and costume changes), Losing alot of unneeded characters, and a story change for it to be successful. Sorry if I can't communicate what I'm trying to say so well, but I don't wanna type so much cause I'm on my phone.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Wolfrazer

Some stuff just can't work as live action, people need to understand that. Animation...you can pretty much do whatever you like.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HBKTimHBK

...Dragonball Evolution is old, I feel like they've given up hope for a live action DBZ movie.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By Teerack

I believe Man of Steel completely invalidates your point of view.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

...Dragon Ball Evolution is old, I feel like they've given up hope for a live action DBZ movie.

Also its an abomination of biblical proportions.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:

@hbktimhbk said:

...Dragon Ball Evolution is old, I feel like they've given up hope for a live action DBZ movie.

Also its an abomination of biblical proportions.

I loved it...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hbktimhbk: Why? Not to be condescending but seriously Why?

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It actually would work pretty well.

They'd just have to make it a series or have a time skip from Young Goku to Old Goku.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HBKTimHBK

@joshmightbe said:

@hbktimhbk: Why? Not to be condescending but seriously Why?

It was the best movie since Plan 9 From Outer Space ;D

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshmightbe
HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HBKTimHBK
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:

To give it credit though, The Last Airbender was worse.

I agree, I could at least make it through the DB movie Last Air Bender is one of the few movies I've ever walked out on in the middle at the theater

young_beamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pfcoolio14: i disagree, but it would be seriously difficult. but just think king kong meets the amazing spider-man, meets man of steel, and i am number four.

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pfcoolio14

@teerack:

I established between American comics and anime being turned into a movie in the op. And to tell you the truth, I don't think man of steel invalidates my point. The two are different from my perspective. They'd have to change a lot like I said.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teerack

@pfcoolio14 said:

@teerack:

I wrote the difference between American comics and anime being turned into a movie in the op. And to tell you the truth, I don't think man of steel invalidates my point. The two are different from my perspective. They'd have to change a lot like I said.

Not really. Superman vs Zod could pretty much be Goku vs Vegeta. Your whole "explanation" is that spikey hair is a big deal to you lol. Their hair shouldn't be all huge and spikey in a live action movie, for the same reason that mostly everything has redesgins from animation to live action. :P Super Saiyan would also be a really easy effect. They'd simply use the same kind of auras you see in Green Lantern, Tron, Lord of the Rings, and many others, and have the actors dye their hair.... the fact that you really think going SS which is basically dying you hair increase to amount of CGI a lot kinda makes me think you don't know a lot about cinema.... or have any idea how much CGI is in the movie you do see. :V

Also your mention of the way comics have no set story line actually does apply to DBZ considering every single movie is stand alone and outside the time line, as well as the video game stories, and the manga has it's own story apart from the anime, and they also just made DB GT non cannon... so ya. Dragon Ball Z is based of Journey to the West which is easily the most retold and adapted story... probably ever? So the story isn't an issue as long they get a good movie writer which kinda makes or break every movie regardless.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Minor point, its Journey to the West not East

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Ah, thanks for that. I was talking about Anime and just instantly thought east :P

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason live action anime doesn't work in the US is because for starters, its hard to translate a lot of the expressive animation which is integral to certain anime to live action. Not to mention not everything needs to be in live action to be great. Then there is the casting issues. Anime characters are Asian yet seldom are they cast in those roles if made by an American company. This just makes the movie very weird not to mention insulting to the country of origin, especially when the villain's race remains unchanged.

young_beamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the movie would be simple if you think of the pitch as this:

an alien boy crash lands on earth and must grow up among humans while having incredible abilities. found at a young age by a man named gohan the boy lives among the world in secrecy and focuses his uncontrollable power through martial arts. years later invaders with powers similar to his own land on earth. its now his obligation to save the world he inherits.

its basically man of steel ! totally doable and has the potential to be awesome!

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Like I said in my DB movie thread!

- Goku = Superman

- Raditz = Faora ( But sex change)

- Nappa = Nam-ek

- Zod = Vegeta

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@young_beamer: You too my friend, I think Akira Toryiama and his crew should watch how the story was set up for Man of Steel to see how an actual Dragon Ball movie can be made.

It would start in the Dragon Ball saga skips through it and you land in the Saiyan Saga of DBZ where Vegeta, Raditz, and Nappa show up.

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wolverine1610

a dragonball movie will only work if its animated and at least looked over by toriyama

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Of course, it would not work. It would be much worse than the last one. Please, don't let them create a sequel. My heart can't take it.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHY ARE WE TALKING OF THIS AGAIN?

There has been at least 3 ones about this same subject this week.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By King_Saturn

They could make a Dragon Ball Z movie if they had like a 270 million dollar budget like Man of Steel had... it takes a lot of money to make the effects look legit enough to believe it's an actual DBZ movie...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By danhimself

the issue isn't the effects or budget ....it's the storyline and the characters...you can't make a live action Goku...you can't

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is not it cant be make, is all the changes you would have to do so it gets made.

Dragon Ball fans dont notice they would had to cut half of the cast, reduce power levels, change the techniques, use martial arts that look nothing like the anime, use normal humans that cant fly, change many of the bizarre ideas they have like not being on screen for several second, watch each other for 5 episodes, change the plot so it has more character development and reduce the action time (Asians can watch 15 minutes of figthing scenes, the rest of people only can have 5 to 8 minutes long), revuild the looks, give more character development to all non Goku characters and again take out all the saiyan things, making a character blond in real life would look ridiculous.

I can make a DBZ movie, but fan will hate me because is not the anime made with people.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the issue isn't the effects or budget ....it's the storyline and the characters...you can't make a live action Goku...you can't

The issue is the Budget and the Effects... when they made Dragon Ball Evolution they only had 65 million dollars of Budget to work with. The more money invested into a project the better it should be... assuming you have the right writers on board.

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By soduh2

@danhimself: Yes you can make a live action Goku. Just not a deep introspective protagonist.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By danhimself

@soduh2 said:

@danhimself: Yes you can make a live action Goku. Just not a deep introspective protagonist.

I'm talking about appearance here...you can't make a live action Goku look cool...it's impossible

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

The issue is the Budget and the Effects... when they made Dragon Ball Evolution they only had 65 million dollars of Budget to work with. The more money invested into a project the better it should be... assuming you have the right writers on board.

you could have an unlimited budget and you still couldn't make a live action Goku, Vegeta, Raditz or any other Saiyan look decent

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Agreed, the hair and clothes would need to be changed.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you suggesting they shouldn't exploit Dragon Ball's fame for money? Don't make them laugh.

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: It's really not that hard to make a DB story or even a trilogy once you here this:

1st movie:

- Give background of Planet Vegeta

- Set up the plot for a alien baby to be sent to earth

- Baby goes to Earth, raised by Grandpa Gohan

- Skim through the Dragon Ball saga like Man of Steel skimmed through Smallville saga.

- Goku is introduced to King Kai, he learns that he is a Saiyan, last of his kind, Frieza blew it up.

- Goku rest on Kai's planet for a day then Goku gets a telepathic stress call from Earth.

- Turns out to be more Saiyans. King Kai IT him to Earth

- Then Goku comes back to Earth and finds Saiyans attacking Earth.

- Goku joins his friends and fights the Saiyans.

Goku = Superman

Vegeta = General Zod

Raditz = Faora

Nappa = Namek

End credits: Goku marries Chi Chi and they have Gohan.

- Basically the Man of Steel formula with some minor changes but I see it as the best way for it to work and I think all nations who watch DBZ with find it good.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By King_Saturn

@king_saturn said:

@danhimself said:

you could have an unlimited budget and you still couldn't make a live action Goku, Vegeta, Raditz or any other Saiyan look decent

disagree... 250 million budget and Steven Spielberg on board and I bet they could make it work.

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it would work but you saying its not mainstream is insane?

Ask any average American Joe if he recognizes Goku and he is probably going to say yes.

Personally I think DBZ is very overrated but I can understand the fans wanting a live action movie (let me rephrase that GOOD movie). I want a good Avatar movie.

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pfcoolio14: Super Saiyan is easy, basically Ironman 3 Extremis with a Hulk type of transformation with anger and screaming

young_beamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By young_beamer

@soduh2: the clothes could be easily changed but something would have to be done to dumb down the hair. maybe the hair would only appear spikey when characters are in complete aura because the force of their power is so strong it blows it up. of course this would push their clothes up too. there is the hair solution, spikey hair= marilyn monroe effect.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn: Battleship Yamato cost 24 million dollars, is not about the money is about how hard is to make it.

@pfcoolio14: Super Saiyan is easy, basically Ironman 3 Extremis with a Hulk type of transformation with anger and screaming

Yeah and the fact the separate all of those things should tell you something.

Also you notice man of steel earth is more reallistic that comic book one and that DC earth is more reallistic that dragon ball one.

You have to cool down the things, i show you a Naruto video that how to make Naruto, still it cools down the damn thing and is a fan film, Dragon Ball fanbase is terrible and very close minded and would never understand the changes, Sailor Moond fanbase is more opne minded and did everything to kill the live action series.

Loading Video...

This is the example of what martial arts movies are doing today, it looks nothing like Dragon Ball a series that was about martial arts, i mean as much as Man of Steel scenes were cool, it looks nothing like Vegeta vs Kakarot since both are warrior with a huge martial arts background in a universe where flying martial arts are real, Zod never train them and for the same he only did what he think he could do and Superman had zero martial arts background, another thing the Dragon Bal Techniques are example of fantasy martial arts that means torando kicks and things like that.

Also look at the hate MOS got for making Superman more human and reallistic, if you do the same to Dragon Ball you would get killed.

I can make a movie about Dragon Ball Z based on the Vegeta part, but it would be more of a martial arts mature fantasy movie, still it would follow the martial arts movie logic.

Loading Video...

Just put Scott Adkins as Vegeta and Iko Uwais as Kakarot and you have my Dragon Ball Z movie.

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cybrilious4

@king_saturn: Battleship Yamato cost 24 million dollars, is not about the money is about how hard is to make it.

@cybrilious4 said:

Yeah and the fact the separate all of those things should tell you something.

Also you notice man of steel earth is more reallistic that comic book one and that DC earth is more reallistic that dragon ball one.

You have to cool down the things, i show you a Naruto video that how to make Naruto, still it cools down the damn thing and is a fan film, Dragon Ball fanbase is terrible and very close minded and would never understand the changes, Sailor Moond fanbase is more opne minded and did everything to kill the live action series.

Loading Video...

This is the example of what martial arts movies are doing today, it looks nothing like Dragon Ball a series that was about martial arts, i mean as much as Man of Steel scenes were cool, it looks nothing like Vegeta vs Kakarot since both are warrior with a huge martial arts background in a universe where flying martial arts are real, Zod never train them and for the same he only did what he think he could do and Superman had zero martial arts background, another thing the Dragon Bal Techniques are example of fantasy martial arts that means torando kicks and things like that.

Also look at the hate MOS got for making Superman more human and reallistic, if you do the same to Dragon Ball you would get killed.

I can make a movie about Dragon Ball Z based on the Vegeta part, but it would be more of a martial arts mature fantasy movie, still it would follow the martial arts movie logic.

Loading Video...

Just put Scott Adkins as Vegeta and Iko Uwais as Kakarot and you have my Dragon Ball Z movie.

Scott Atkins is too big and old to be prince Vegeta, the Vegeta we all know, maybe King Vegeta, or find a way to youth him.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cybrilious4: Too big and too old, you see i call close minded the DB fanbase, also Vegeta was actually older that Kakarot, also its a movie it dont have to fit the anime and manga.

Besides people who is actually in the martial arts movie world that dont suck at it and at acting is over 35 by now, younger one suck money balls i really mean it, the best one is Taylor Lautner.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cybrilious4: Too big and too old, you see i call close minded the DB fanbase, also Vegeta was actually older that Kakarot, also its a movie it dont have to fit the anime and manga.

Besides people who is actually in the martial arts movie world that dont suck at it and at acting is over 35 by now, younger one suck money balls i really mean it, the best one is Taylor Lautner.

You shouldn't base all of your opinions off generalizations. It's not intelligent.

Not agreeing with your casing doesn't mean someone is close minded, and a lot of people don't like Man of Steel because it changed things. You'll find that in every single fanbase no one is an exception.

If I were to cast Vegeta I'd go with Byung-hun Lee, and for Goku I'd go with David Belle. You have to think about how the acts look and if they feel like the character when casting even if it's a new look. It's a pretty remedial concept... you're not trying to cut off from the franchise when you reboot something, you're trying to REimagine it, not imagine it.

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: I didn't say he was a terrible pick, it's just that Vegeta is a little man (5 "6 ish) and he's like 6"2. I said he would look like a good King Vegefa but I don't want the martial arts talent to go to waste.

- Vegeta would be best played by someone who appears to be a handsome, ruthless looking Asian / Hispanic to work who has a great background like Atkins. But not very tall. (5"6 - 5"9)

Goku is ok with being (5"10 - 6") and I think the best choice for him would be Pakistani. / middle Eastern guy with Kung Fu history.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44  Edited By GraniteSoldier

I grew up watching DBZ and love it to this day but I've never watched Evolution. It just looked like I would find it horrible. The potential for a live DBZ movie is there, but I just don't see Hollywood pulling it off properly. And I don't mean taking artistic liberties, I'm ok with that. I just feel like they would totally change the story and how it went along in order to better connect with American audiences.

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Fuck live action. Animation all the way.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet Christopher Nolan could do it!

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: They try to reimagine Dragon ball with Evolution so it made more money and non DB fans could enjoy it, it explode on their faces, DB fanbase is hated by the rest of the fan bases for a good reason, is one of the worst, still there is worst fanbases.@cybrilious4: Vegeta had an american accent in the japanese dub, what means he was actually seen as a white person when Kakarot was seen as an asian, for some people he sound quite british in the american dubs, in the latin dubs his voice had no accent but soud way whiter that Kakarot.

I know white people belive all non white people are aliens, but Dragon Ball casting looks asian to me and they dont see Kakarot weirdly, everything in Dragon Ball points he is asian and Vegeta is the white one, Nappa never looked remotly asian.

I mean DB good guys look quite asian and bad guys quite western(This was the one of the reason it was huge in latin america, white people as the heroes is a joke for latin americans), i means look at their attitudes, Vegeta is based on the western concept of royalty so is again obvious he is the white one.

The Red Ribbon look like the american or russian army, the androids look so white one of them is a truck driver and another one is a small black pachuco guy, Janemba was satan, Frieza acts like some type of James Bond villain, again they look more western type guys that anything.

Also look at what people did to them in Evolution whitewashing, Khan in Into the Failness again whitewhasing.

Also, Hugh Jackman played Woverine, so is about if the actor can play him, not if the actor looks exactly the same.

Kakarot is base on the asian legend journey to the west, he is the monkey king, again is point he is asian.

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: And Like I said I'm ok with Asian for Goku

(Middle Eastern / Indian = Asian too)

Cybrilious4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cybrilious4

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@teerack: They try to reimagine Dragon ball with Evolution so it made more money and non DB fans could enjoy it, it explode on their faces, DB fanbase is hated by the rest of the fan bases for a good reason, is one of the worst, still there is worst fanbases.@cybrilious4: Vegeta had an american accent in the japanese dub, what means he was actually seen as a white person when Kakarot was seen as an asian, for some people he sound quite british in the american dubs, in the latin dubs his voice had no accent but soud way whiter that Kakarot.

I know white people belive all non white people are aliens, but Dragon Ball casting looks asian to me and they dont see Kakarot weirdly, everything in Dragon Ball points he is asian and Vegeta is the white one, Nappa never looked remotly asian.

I mean DB good guys look quite asian and bad guys quite western(This was the one of the reason it was huge in latin america, white people as the heroes is a joke for latin americans), i means look at their attitudes, Vegeta is based on the western concept of royalty so is again obvious he is the white one.

The Red Ribbon look like the american or russian army, the androids look so white one of them is a truck driver and another one is a small black pachuco guy, Janemba was satan, Frieza acts like some type of James Bond villain, again they look more western type guys that anything.

Also look at what people did to them in Evolution whitewashing, Khan in Into the Failness again whitewhasing.

Also, Hugh Jackman played Woverine, so is about if the actor can play him, not if the actor looks exactly the same.

Kakarot is base on the asian legend journey to the west, he is the monkey king, again is point he is asian.

And you made a good case for white Vegeta too....

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There's no such thing as a movie that wouldn't work. With the right actors, budget, director, effects, and story, anything is workable. Get someone like Guillermo Del Toro to direct. The guy loves anime and can handle the art direction and action well. For the fights, make them your basic martial arts fare at first, then crescendo to "Man of Steel" type battles. Storywise, start with the Saiyan saga(give a little backstory via flashback, but not an origin story). Start of with Raditz as seemingly the main villian, then have Vegeta take over midways through the movie, with Nappa as muscle. Or even, just to change things up, combine Raditz's character with Vegeta. Make Vegeta Goku's brother, resentful that his weaker brother was sent of planet while the rest of his people died. And there, you have an action filled and dramatic movie. That's how its done......ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?