Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

(Yo, mods I saw a few threads that touched up on the same thing, but this is more of a thread for venting hate, so keep that in mind before you decide to lock it. )

My name is Decoy Elite, and I hate things. Today I'm going to tell you all about something I hate, because this is the internet and I'm an angry person.

I hate the post limit for new users on this site, now don't get me wrong I understand why it's there, I get that it's something this site "needs", I know it's purpose. My problem is that it totally doesn't fulfill it's purpose. For those not in the know, who no doubt can't post because they've run out for the day, the post limit wasn't always here, it was enacted to take care of the problem of people making accounts and spamming ads all over the site. It it did that at first. But spammers find a way, and well now you might notice a lot more spam threads. Yeah it's literally a post limit, not a thread limit, so all the spammers do is just make threads, which in retrospect is a lot more annoying than someone just spamming posts, because it's harder to ignore.

But hey, why should I care? The post limit doesn't effect me, right? Well it kind of does, because I use the RPG section, which means I like to make alternate accounts(statistically speaking if you have an it's either for RPGs or you're Spike). So when I get this new account I kinda want to use it, you know for the RPGs I do? Yeah, well the post limit kind of takes a nice big deuce all over that, because now I have to wait at least 3 days to post as much as I want. And seriously just 5 posts? Why not at least a number that would allow someone to actually hang out on the site for a nice amount of time, get acclimated.

At this point it feels like a feature that only exists as incentive to buy premium accounts, which can't be right because seriously what kind of person would buy an account before actually getting used to the site? Certainly not someone using an alt, well a normal person using an alt(you exceptions know who you are). I just don't get the post limit, and maybe that's the real reason it bugs me so much. If it felt useful, or even a little necessary, maybe I wouldn't be ready to make a 3 paragraph blog about why I hate it. But for now, I hate the post limit and if you're reading this then you probably do too.

#1 Edited by ComicMan24 (147080 posts) - - Show Bio
My name is Decoy Elite, and I hate things.

lol Just for that line, even if I didn't agree before, I sure do now.

But anyway, I pretty much agree. A thread limit would have been far more effective at this point.

#2 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Truth.

#3 Posted by Ren_ (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

While I agree with your criticisms, it actually DOEs work. Maybe not for the majority of spammers, but certainly for some of them. Maybe one or two times a week (sometimes more, sometimes less), I'll check the flag queue and there will be an account that posted spam (usually along the lines of 'did you know you can make $3758583 dollars an hour from home) on all the recent articles. The only thing that prevents them from doing this all over the place is the post limit. So is it effective against all spam? No. But it is definitely effective against some.

#4 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Just another difficulty new users are faced with when they first join.

#5 Posted by Loki9876 (3005 posts) - - Show Bio

perhaps there is truth here

#6 Posted by Illuminatus (9504 posts) - - Show Bio

Incentive to buy premium accounts? What, with all the whopping features premium users are given? I think that monetary flow stopped being a significant problem when CBS bought out the Vine. :p

Perhaps the staff should work on creating specific stipulations for each forum accordingly? The hindrance that you speak of in the RPG forum can easily be solved while also ensuring that the Battle, Off-Topic, General Discussion, etc. forums are able to retain strict regulations.

#7 Posted by MonsterStomp (16980 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite: Sir... You bossed it.

#8 Posted by Highlander_615 (212 posts) - - Show Bio

tl;dr

#9 Posted by Pyrogram (36571 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a post limit 0_0

#10 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio

@Highlander_615 said:

tl;dr

#11 Posted by RobocopSlayerT800 (2341 posts) - - Show Bio

They should get rid of that post limit crap for new users.

It never did any good anyways.

#12 Posted by JediXMan (30344 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. I've always been in favor of a friend limit - no threads until post 50-100.

#13 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

My name is Decoy Elite, and I hate things. Today I'm going to tell you all about something I hate, because this is the internet and I'm an angry person.

You just won a cookie, sir.

#14 Posted by Nefarious (19761 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree.  

#15 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

@Decoy Elite said:

You just won a cookie, sir.

dahaha

#16 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7737 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I just created a new username and discovered the post limit..

How many posts must I have before the daily limit goes away?

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (83353 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

My name is Decoy Elite, and I hate things.

lol Just for that line, even if I didn't agree before, I sure do now.

But anyway, I pretty much agree. A thread limit would have been far more effective at this point.

This.

#18 Edited by Walzo (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS BRO?

:D

#19 Posted by dondave (36568 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree