I Hate Miranda (Mass Effect 2)

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I've noticed that Miranda had quite a huge fanbase, and while that's fine, I have to ask...Why? She is, in my opinion, one of the worst video game characters in history. She is a Mary sue, a COMPLETE boy scout to Cerberus, racist to aliens, completely cold to everyone around her. I feel her character was made purely so that male viewers could admire her ass, and actually despised her so much that I intentionally got her (And Samara, I don't like her either) killed at the end of ME2. What are your guys opinions?

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Never played the game....any recommendations on doing so/why.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

Well, she was my favorite love interest in Mass Effect 2, yeah she does start cold-hearted in the beginning and she was a little too perfect. But maybe that was the point about her being a Mary Sue, She is unbelievably gorgeous, brilliant and skilled, but she only like these because her father, an egotistical prick, designed her that way in a lab. Miranda is tortured by all of those gifts, seeing in them constant evidence of her father's influence. Other companions belittle her for being too perfect, and she laments that her engineered skills means she owns nothing about herself. Its a desconstructed Mary Sue, I did find her interesting from that angle. Not to say she was my favorite character period, there was plenty of awesome characters in ME 2. She does possess serious flaws like her inability to comprehend that people will react other than the way she believes they will. She also seems to have the mindset of handing out as little information as possible, with complete disregard for how others will react to her doing so. And despite being part of Cerberus, she seemed more interesting in promoting humankind than persecuting aliens, even lamenting the fact people only joined the organization for no other reason than xenophobia (she is a lot better than Ashley in this regard), and shows some respect to the asari at very least. And of course she does cut ties with them by the end of the game.

And that is pretty much my opinion :p

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely agree, her character just came as very bland to me

Liara FTW!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

Not a fan of Miranda, but I don't hate her. Samara is boring, but I still don't hate her, either.

I hate James Vega, though. He sucks.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Ostyo

Miranda was awesome, one of the few characters my Shep seemed to actually agree with most of the time. Kaidan and Jacob were the only squad mates I hated.

Avatar image for darklordargeist
DarkLordArgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo:

Hey Dude!

All this Mass Effect thread got me interested in playing it. Would you recommend it for me?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#8  Edited By Joygirl

Miranda was okay, but not particularly useful for me. When I wanted a biotic, I used Jack 100% of the time. If I needed someone for tech, it was usually Tali and sometimes Garrus.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: She wasn't even a useful Sentinel when compared with her class' counterpart, Kaidan Alenko, who is a terrible character in every game but 3. Thank god you couldn't ever use them together, that would've been so pointless.

OP: I like Miranda. I don't love her like I love Jack, Kasumi, Tali, Mordin, Thane, Legion, and Wrex, and I'm not in OMG fanboy love with her like I am Liara and Garrus. But, the only character I actively dislike is Jacob, and even I enjoy his side mission in 3. So, I really do like her. Quite a bit actually. She's just not one of my very favorites. But I definitely don't hate her. I like her probably just as much as I like Grunt, Zaeed, Javik, EDI, Samara/Morinth, James Vega, Ashley, and Kaidan.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, she was my favorite love interest in Mass Effect 2, yeah she does start cold-hearted in the beginning and she was a little too perfect. But maybe that was the point about her being a Mary Sue, She is unbelievably gorgeous, brilliant and skilled, but she only like these because her father, an egotistical prick, designed her that way in a lab. Miranda is tortured by all of those gifts, seeing in them constant evidence of her father's influence. Other companions belittle her for being too perfect, and she laments that her engineered skills means she owns nothing about herself. Its a desconstructed Mary Sue, I did find her interesting from that angle. Not to say she was my favorite character period, there was plenty of awesome characters in ME 2. She does possess serious flaws like her inability to comprehend that people will react other than the way she believes they will. She also seems to have the mindset of handing out as little information as possible, with complete disregard for how others will react to her doing so. And despite being part of Cerberus, she seemed more interesting in promoting humankind than persecuting aliens, even lamenting the fact people only joined the organization for no other reason than xenophobia (she is a lot better than Ashley in this regard), and shows some respect to the asari at very least. And of course she does cut ties with them by the end of the game.

Tali's the best. ^_^

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

but Yvonne Strahovski

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@darkazrael999 said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

Tali's the best. ^_^

I see her more like a little sister than an love interest. Miranda and Liara were the my favs :P

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Never underestimate the power of a nicely shaped @ss.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Saren

Miranda doesn't hate aliens any more than Jacob or Kelly or any of the other ME2 Cerberus Normandy crew do. People join Cerberus for different reasons; some like Kai Leng join simply because they hate aliens, and others like Miranda, Jacob and Kelly join because they don't believe the Alliance is doing a good enough job of representing human interests in Citadel space. If you actually talk to Miranda, she outright says that she's disappointed that Cerberus is such a magnet for xenophobes, and she repeatedly states that she admires certain other species like the asari for their accomplishments. An actual racist statement in the Mass Effect universe would be something like Ashley's comment about how she "can't tell the aliens from the animals", or all the people who call the quarians beggars and thieves.

Miranda being a Cerberus "cheerleader" is part of her arc --- at the end of the game, she quits Cerberus because she can't defend their actions anymore. Which I'm guessing you would have figured out if you hadn't killed her before that.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hardly ever used her as i liked Jack Grunt Garrus & Zaeed alot more Also most characters in video games have to appeal to people in one way or another Miranda had "good" looks but shes no where near the most popular Mass Effect character.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

I'm not really a fan of her. I just find her boring and uninteresting. I did hate her at times though, such as when she refused to talk to me after I took Jack's side in their argument, or when she somehow survived the suicide mission while Garrus, Thane, & Legion all died. And the shots of her @ss just got infuriating after a while. If I wanted to see that, I'd go on the internet, not play a Mass Effect game.

I was a bit upset when she died in my first playthrough of ME3, but then I was happy that I wouldn't have to put up with the @ss shots again.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Saren

I did hate her at times though, such as when she refused to talk to me after I took Jack's side in their argument

If you take Miranda's side in the argument, Jack will do the same thing. Except she'll yell "F**K OFF!" every time you try to talk to her.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:
@thecannon said:

I did hate her at times though, such as when she refused to talk to me after I took Jack's side in their argument

If you take Miranda's side in the argument, Jack will do the same thing. Except she'll yell "F**K OFF!" every time you try to talk to her.

She'd do the same thing if you would bang her without being romantically involved with her.
Jack's a piece of work.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@saren said:

Miranda doesn't hate aliens any more than Jacob or Kelly or any of the other ME2 Cerberus Normandy crew do. People join Cerberus for different reasons; some like Kai Leng join simply because they hate aliens, and others like Miranda, Jacob and Kelly join because they don't believe the Alliance is doing a good enough job of representing human interests in Citadel space. If you actually talk to Miranda, she outright says that she's disappointed that Cerberus is such a magnet for xenophobes, and she repeatedly states that she admires certain other species like the asari for their accomplishments. An actual racist statement in the Mass Effect universe would be something like Ashley's comment about how she "can't tell the aliens from the animals", or all the people who call the quarians beggars and thieves.

Miranda being a Cerberus "cheerleader" is part of her arc --- at the end of the game, she quits Cerberus because she can't defend their actions anymore. Which I'm guessing you would have figured out if you hadn't killed her before that.

Agreed on all accounts.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're wrong, Jacob is the worst squadmate ever.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TazzMission

Never played the game....any recommendations on doing so/why.

you never played any of them or just 2? i say play them because man the story is so rich and it can pull some heart strings

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's an Ice Queen with a nice ass, that's as much you're going to get out of her.

Jack >>> Miranda.

You're wrong, Jacob is the worst squadmate ever.

Jacob gets +100 respect for dumping Shepard. I lol'd so hard.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's an Ice Queen with a nice ass, that's as much you're going to get out of her.

Jack >>> Miranda.

you know you can romance javik in the citadel dlc right?

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ostyo

@saren: Well, Ash wasn't really racist. It was simply distrust and a grudge for how the other races had treated humans. Which was quite honestly understandable when you see how the other races act towards humans. As was just blunt and not very fond of the idea of humans serving with Aliens had tried to wipe them out in the past. Which goes back more towards her family's dishonor then any true hate for other races.

Orician_Seis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hate her. I let her stay locked up in her room the whole game. Never used her once.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Experio

You're on your own.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played any of these games.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all about Liara

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've noticed that Miranda had quite a huge fanbase, and while that's fine, I have to ask...Why? She is, in my opinion, one of the worst video game characters in history. She is a Mary sue, a COMPLETE boy scout to Cerberus, racist to aliens, completely cold to everyone around her. I feel her character was made purely so that male viewers could admire her ass, and actually despised her so much that I intentionally got her (And Samara, I don't like her either) killed at the end of ME2. What are your guys opinions?

Did you not bother to play Mass Effect 3? Not only that but anyone who didn't romance Miranda could easily hate her for such reasons..Though I don't see where you've gotten that she's racist since she never made any snide remarks about Garrus,Grunt,or any of the other alien squadmates the way Ashley did in ME 1. Btw Ashley isn't racist either because if you have her with you when you encounter that Terrafirma guy in ME 1 she slams the dude for being a racist. Miranda also pretty much tells the Illusive Man to shove it at the end of ME 2 if you blow up the Collector base. Anyways..if you bothered to romance her she opens up a lot to Shepard and you get to see a side to her that the rest never got too. In Mass Effect 3 that was definitely shown in things such as the Citadel DLC where I've seen some change their views on Miranda after seeing how Bioware handled her in it. Besides you can't complain about Miranda when EDI is pretty much a walking sex symbol

As for Samara, she's not boring she's just real strict to her code. The Citadel also showed Samara open up a little bit more and I liked the side of her you saw if you kept her alive at the Ardat Yakshi sanctuary. As for favorite characters, you guys and gals are all wrong because Legion and Thane>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your favorites :D

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as a personality goes, I'd say Tali tops all of the romance options in the game... but how could you hate Miranda with THAT ASS?

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SilverPool

@thecannon said:

I'm not really a fan of her. I just find her boring and uninteresting. I did hate her at times though, such as when she refused to talk to me after I took Jack's side in their argument, or when she somehow survived the suicide mission while Garrus, Thane, & Legion all died. And the shots of her @ss just got infuriating after a while. If I wanted to see that, I'd go on the internet, not play a Mass Effect game.

I was a bit upset when she died in my first playthrough of ME3, but then I was happy that I wouldn't have to put up with the @ss shots again.

No, trust me, you don't want to go looking for pics of anything Mass Effect on the internet, you will regret it.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ostyo
Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

The fact that you think she is a Mary Sue and a boy scout is nothing short of hilarious. People sure like to use terms they don't understand.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of Citadel DLC..if you get to the part where Jack and Miranda are arguing in your apartment you can suggest to them to "kiss and make up"..Literally. The dialogue that follows afterward is pretty hilarious from Shepard

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of Citadel DLC..if you get to the part where Jack and Miranda are arguing in your apartment you can suggest to them to "kiss and make up"..Literally. The dialogue that follows afterward is pretty hilarious from Shepard

thats nothing. you should hear the diolauge between edi and traynor.................

Loading Video...

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

And for the record; Tali, Legion, Garrus and Grunt are my faves.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I love my little bunny Miri heeh

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

But to each there own I guess(get real tired of saying that)

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gambit474

@gambit474 said:

thats nothing. you should hear the diolauge between edi and traynor.................

I already know about the dialogue but didn't pay much mind to it because Traynor already made it clear that she was gay earlier in the game(which was highly disappointing since I found her more likeable than Allers)

Jack slamming Miranda about her "bubbly ass" was pretty funny

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

i dont remember why but i really didnt like her

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Her character in 2 is a bit bland, but they develop the hell out of her in ME3

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rogueshadow  Moderator

I don't think she's a Mary Sue, I think she's a purposeful subversion of that, she was designed to be 'perfect' and therefore she's good at everything, great at nothing, and feels that none of it is earned.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cpt_nice

People like her because that ass tho.

I don't hate her, I think she is one of the blandest characters in a cast of otherwise really interesting and memorable people/aliens.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have only played ME3 but she is a nice character from what I seen. Sacrificing her life to save her sister was an heartfelt moment.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sc GET IN HERE!

Pouw87h2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Agreed, Vega was by far the most stock, generic and flat out worst companion in the series