I got my first job!

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A few months back I applied for a bagger position at a grocery store near my house and earlier this week they called and said I got it now I start on Monday. I'll be cleaning and bagging mostly I think among other small things around the store.

Does anyone have any tips for those that may have been/still is a bagger or worked at a grocery store in the past? It'd be greatly appreciated before I start if I knew some good tips, etc.

I'm 16 btw if it matters for tips.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By _Gaff_

I was 16 when I got a job at a grocery store. Worked there for five years.

The best advise I can tell you is save your money. Money (even from a minim wage job) adds up over time.

Also expect to be called in a lot. Your bosses are constantly going to be hiring teens who don't want to work. They do things like fake being sick to go to ball games and crap like that. The hard workers have to pick up the slack. But if your bosses are like mine they will pay attention and give you a raise here and there.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup save all the money you can. That was my first job as well.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophia89: @ms__omega: @_gaff_: Thanks for the advise! I'll definitely save most of the money I earn just spending some every so often.

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice good luck with that

Tips

• Just do your Job
  • Do whatever they tell you to do
  • Don't Complain
  • Be on time

Well my motto is

Work Hard, Play Hard

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thitiki: You're in the same boat as me, or at least a similar one. So I'll give you some general tips that I've picked up.

1. Stay on your managers good side, no matter what. If your manager is unfair to you, or you need to go against a friend to please your manager - just roll with it. At the end of the day, they are who have employed you, and who are paying you. You are there to work. Just get your job done, keep on their friendly side, and you'll be raking home the pay checks no bother.
  2. Avoid drama as best you can. There will always be that one person, at least one anyway, who will stir up drama on the regular. Just stay friendly with them, remain neutral to any conflict, and if they start on you - just stay calm and roll with it. Again, you're really just there to work, so there's no need to get caught up in.. extra curricular activities.
  3. Be punctual. It seems like a no-brainer but it does really matter. If you want to do well, get to work like 15-20 minutes early, or more if you want. Either get an early start or just chill in the staff room. Getting there more or less bang on time is fine.. but it's better to be early, especially if you use public transport - because you never know when traffic or a road accident will pop up and make you late. Along with this, don't spend too long in the toilet, and try to only go at breaks - or when you can get away with it. Don't take any extra time on your breaks. In short - make sure you do all of your hours, no more, no less.
  4. Ask questions. There's no need to be standing around confused or unsure in a new store where everything is new to you. Even if they have to be frequent, just ask questions. "What can I do next?" "Where does this go?" "How do you think I should go about doing this". It takes two seconds, shows that you're there to work, and gets the job done quicker.

Aside from that.. just do your best. Nobody is perfect with their first job. You will f*ck up, possibly multiple times (like I have done), but eventually you just get the hang of it. Things that confuse you, or that you constantly forget, will literally become like second nature after a couple weeks. Just get yourself settled in and you'll be alright.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Wow man thanks for all those tips seriously. Especially the one about asking questions because I was wondering what I would do if I wasn't doing anything and I prolly would have just stood around like an idiot. I'll maybe bump this thread after Monday just to tell people how it went with all the advice and stuff! Thanks again.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@detrolord: Thanks man I'll definitely work my a$$ off!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thitiki: Any time man. It can be daunting but if you more or less follow what I said above, you should do fine. I'd love to hear about how you get on when you start! Keep me posted. Good luck dude.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Good for you. :P

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Experio

If the boss speaks to in a rude manner or doesn't treat you with equality, slap him in the face and yell 'I quit' (so you don't get fired).

Ps: Make sure you perform the physical assault in an area where there are no cctv, so there's no evidence and it will only be his word against yours.

Avatar image for ssjdarthplagueis
SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats.

Nice good luck with that

Tips

• Just do your Job
  • Do whatever they tell you to do
  • Don't Complain
  • Be on time

Well my motto is

Work Hard, Play Hard

^ As for tips. Pretty much what he said.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

My advice:

Buy permanent objects, things that will improve your quality of life. Don't buy consumable items if you don't have to. The temptation to do so will be strong.

Also, don't f*** anyone you work with. I made that mistake. It doesn't end well.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll tell you the advice one of my all time favorite teachers told me:

Work hard, so hard that you become indispensable. Become someone they absolutely need, because once they need you, they'll be eating out of your hands. You'll receive more money, and more importantly, you'll receive their respect.

This goes for any job you have in your life.

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations