• 58 results
#1 Edited by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Darling_Luna (6432 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, One game isn't going to topple the Dynasty

I'm sure they had to get permission from his family to it, so they must think it's okay

#3 Posted by MaccyD (5204 posts) - - Show Bio

PGA tour had the ability to play as/against golf legends. Same as FIFA with football legends. Think NFL did it as well. This isn't the first time EA has done this, so why is it just a big deal?

#4 Posted by Blade_R (3413 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on how you look at it, it could be looked at as paying homage and respect to a legend or it could be looked at as trying to make money off of his name and likeness. Its all based on how one looks at it IMO.

#5 Posted by Racob7 (6332 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: Lee didn't believe in competitive fighting, IIRC.

#6 Posted by _Gaff_ (3803 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like they gave him a major upgrade...down there.

#7 Edited by marvel_boy2241 (2468 posts) - - Show Bio

@blade_r said:

It depends on how you look at it, it could be looked at as paying homage and respect to a legend or it could be looked at as trying to make money off of his name and likeness. Its all based on how one looks at it IMO.

Yeah a glass half full kinda thing.

#8 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

PGA tour had the ability to play as/against golf legends. Same as FIFA with football legends. Think NFL did it as well. This isn't the first time EA has done this, so why is it just a big deal?

Because those legends aren't dead and actually played the respective sport in the game they're featured in. Common sense really.

#9 Posted by Jonez120 (5490 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Mediocregeist (681 posts) - - Show Bio

@_gaff_ said:

Damn, it looks like it's going to spring out any moment O_O

#11 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (12704 posts) - - Show Bio

The f**ks I give are gone, so I can't give you any atm.

#12 Posted by MaccyD (5204 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanralphio: Actually most of them were dead, some even longer than Bruce Lee...

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36229 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7 said:

No but this is entertainment and he has played professional fighters in movies so it's the exact same thing here.

#14 Edited by ARMIV2 (8881 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still not sure. I'll say that I find it weird that he's in an MMA game, though.

#15 Posted by Racob7 (6332 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36229 posts) - - Show Bio

@armiv2: Why? He basically invented MMA

#17 Edited by AweSam (7391 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7 said:

No but this is entertainment and he has played professional fighters in movies so it's the exact same thing here.

He wasn't actually fighting and he enjoyed spreading martial arts through entertainment. Also, he has to make money. I think it's disrespectful. Having a famous MMA fighter would be fine, but not someone who's not known for or even against competitive fighting. Would it be fine to have Mahatma Gandhi in a Call of Duty game?

#18 Posted by ARMIV2 (8881 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that. I just figure that if Bruce Lee was in a game it'd be in a game that's more action/adventure beat-'em up and not in a cage.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36229 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@racob7 said:

He wasn't actually fighting and he enjoyed spreading martial arts through entertainment. Also, he has to make money. I think it's disrespectful. Having a famous MMA fighter would be fine, but not someone who's not known for or even against competitive fighting. Would it be fine to have Mahatma Gandhi in a Call of Duty game?

He's not actually fighting here, it's a computer game for entertainment purposes. Nor was he against competitive fighting, he just didn't want to do it himself. Also that last comment is absolutely ludicrous.

#20 Posted by SSJDarthPlagueis (2574 posts) - - Show Bio

@_gaff_ said:

Lol!

#21 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

@jeanralphio: Actually most of them were dead, some even longer than Bruce Lee...

Maybe you're talking about PGA, I've never played it but in FIFA and NFL most of them are not dead. And my other point still stands.

#22 Posted by JonSmith (4016 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Actually, given Gandhi's apparent enjoyment of nuclear warfare, I imagine he'd fit right in.

Points if you get it. No shame if you don't.

#23 Posted by Racob7 (6332 posts) - - Show Bio

@_gaff_ said:

#24 Edited by Bruxae (14180 posts) - - Show Bio

Well his daughter is approving of it at least, she is the one introducing it in one of the trailers. I dont think its disrespectfull, it's a game and a nice way of showing how beloved Lee still is, it doesn't need a deep meaning.

#25 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehh...Not really, he was just the first person who got super famous who trained in a multitude of styles and shied away from the traditional systems and hybridized them, it's been around since before Bruce Lee was conceived, just no one got as famous as he did.

#26 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (36229 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanralphio said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Ehh...Not really, he was just the first person who got super famous who trained in a multitude of styles and shied away from the traditional systems and hybridized them, it's been around since before Bruce Lee was conceived, just no one got as famous as he did.

Well yea but he was the one that made it popular and brought it to the west. He's called the Father of Mixed Martial Arts for a reason.

#27 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (24352 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how its disrespectiful...

@bruxae said:

Well his daughter is approving of it at least, she is the one introducing it in one of the trailers. I dont think its disrespectfull, it's a game and a nice way of showing how beloved Lee still is, it doesn't need a deep meaning.

Agreed.

#28 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: He didn't bring it to the west but he did help to make it popular, I'll give you that.

#29 Posted by HumanRocket (9932 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by Black_Arrow (4341 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how it is disrespectful, If the family agreed It is ok. Also this is the same as his movies.

#31 Posted by AweSam (7391 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Regardless, you're using a digital version of him to fight for fun. Something he definitely didn't approve of. Having his family's permission doesn't make it any less disrespectful.

Ludicrous? Are you telling me you didn't giggle, even a bit?

@jonsmith said:

@awesam said:

Actually, given Gandhi's apparent enjoyment of nuclear warfare, I imagine he'd fit right in.

I don't... From what I understand he didn't approve of nuclear weapons.

#32 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18900 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing disrespectful here.

#33 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (36229 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@jonny_anonymous: Regardless, you're using a digital version of him to fight for fun. Something he definitely didn't approve of. Having his family's permission doesn't make it any less disrespectful.

Ludicrous? Are you telling me you didn't giggle, even a bit?

@jonsmith said:

@awesam said:

I don't... From what I understand he didn't approve of nuclear weapons.

WHy wouldn't he? There is no difference between this and watching him do it on film.

#34 Posted by War Killer (20344 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't see anything wrong with it. I actually find it pretty cool.

#35 Posted by Wolverine08 (46037 posts) - - Show Bio

Naw.

#36 Edited by Fallschirmjager (19196 posts) - - Show Bio

you can't insult the dead

#37 Posted by AweSam (7391 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: There is. He enjoyed acting and that's all it was. I just don't like the idea of it. It's not like EA is doing it out of respect. It might be alright if he was in a WWE game since that's also just acting (sarcasm).

#38 Posted by MaccyD (5204 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by kyrees (6656 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

his daughter signed off on it since she herself announced it officially so no its not disrespectful

#41 Edited by CF12793 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally find nothing wrong with this. People call Bruce Lee one of the pioneers of MMA and many MMA fighters cite Lee as their biggest influence. The influence he had on the fighting community as a whole will most likely never be achieved by one man ever again. I'd say this is doing nothing wrong but paying respect and giving credit where credit is due.

#42 Posted by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793 said:

I personally find nothing wrong with this. People call Bruce Lee one of the pioneers of MMA and many MMA fighters cite Lee as their biggest influence. The influence he had on the fighting community as a whole will most likely never be achieved by one man ever again. I'd say this is doing nothing wrong but paying respect and giving credit where credit is due.

yea his own daughter said that when history channel had a documentary called how bruce lee changed the world

bruce always believed that combat sports should be fought without gear and if you look at mma you can see that sort of thing

#43 Posted by Perethorn (3910 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine was at Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, legends are always present when it comes to sports games.

#44 Posted by TazzMission (5199 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverine was at Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, legends are always present when it comes to sports games.

are you calling wolverine a legend? come on dude

#45 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36229 posts) - - Show Bio

@perethorn said:

are you calling wolverine a legend? come on dude

Bruce Lee >>>> Wolverine

#46 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6361 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all, I feel it's a great honor. The only "disrespectful" thing about it is that EA Sports didn't even consider MMA a sport till recently, ignorant bastards.

#47 Edited by PowerHerc (85517 posts) - - Show Bio

@_gaff_ said:

Lol.

#48 Posted by russellmania77 (15959 posts) - - Show Bio

Liu kang

#49 Edited by Jphu8414 (3917 posts) - - Show Bio

This comes off as just a little bit disrespectful because I see it as a gimmick to sell and showcase their game and therefore making money off of his dead persona.

But it's just a game, and I can understand the whole "paying homage" ordeal, plus I guess it would kind of cool to play as Bruce Lee and beat the crap out of people so I'm not too charged up about it.

#50 Edited by SilverPool (2444 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@awesam said:

Oooo, Civilization fan?