#1 Posted by Wario88 (2392 posts) - - Show Bio

Which are more dangerous and why? 

A Hurricane (tropical cyclone)... is a storm system characterized by a low pressure center and numerous thunderstorms that produce strong winds and flooding rain. A tropical cyclone feeds on the heat released when moist air rises and the water vapor it contains condenses. They are fueled by a different heat mechanism than other cyclonic windstorms such as nor'easters, European windstorms, and polar lows, leading to their classification as "warm core" storm systems. While tropical cyclones can produce extremely powerful winds and torrential rain, they are also able to produce high waves and damaging storm surge. They develop over large bodies of warm water, and lose their strength if they move over land. Depending on their location and strength, tropical cyclones are referred to by other names, such as hurricane, typhoon, tropical storm, cyclonic storm, tropical depression and simply cyclone.

A Tornado is a violently rotating column of air which is in contact with both a cumulonimbus cloud or, in rare cases, a cumulus cloud base and the surface of the earth. Tornadoes come in many sizes but are typically in the form of a visible condensation funnel, whose narrow end touches the earth and is often encircled by a cloud of debris. Most tornadoes have wind speeds between 40 mph (64 km/h) and 110 mph (177 km/h), are approximately 250 feet (75 m) across, and travel a few miles (several kilometers) before dissipating.
#2 Posted by HobGadling (730 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically, in this day and age, tornadoes are more dangerous because they don't give much notice that they're on their way.  Sorry if this offends anyone, but if you die in a hurricane in the United States, it's because you either didn't have a television or radio or don't use them, or you didn't want to live bad enough and valued other things more than your life, whether that be your job... whatever.  If you think you might die, you leave, even if you have to hitchhike.  There are a lot of excuses to use not to go, but if you're dead, you're the only one who's going to hear them.

#3 Posted by jloneblackheart (5840 posts) - - Show Bio

Hurricanes- they create storm surges and cover vast areas, plus they spawn tornadoes. I've never heard of a town or an island not existing anymore because of a tornado

#4 Posted by King Saturn (218016 posts) - - Show Bio
I think Hurricanes are more Dangerous... Tornadoes are very Devastating in terms of Damage but... Hurricanes are Massive in Damage and Devastation... Hurricane Katrina is just one example of that... but I live in Miami... and I have had brushes with Tornadoes and Hurricanes... Tornadoes cant compare to the damage of a Hurricane... its Insane
#5 Posted by The Crimson Nutcase (845 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn:

Lucky you in live in Miami, well i never been their so i may not like it...but it sounds nice!

#6 Posted by King Saturn (218016 posts) - - Show Bio
The Crimson Nutcase said:
@King Saturn: Lucky you in live in Miami, well i never been their so i may not like it...but it ... [more]
Miami is Great... Nice Beaches, Nice Stores, Nice Malls, Beautiful People... but the Weather Down Here Is Insane at Times
#7 Posted by Wario88 (2392 posts) - - Show Bio

We can conclude that Hurricanes are more dangerous?

#8 Posted by King Saturn (218016 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wario88 said:
" We can conclude that Hurricanes are more dangerous? "
I am...
#9 Edited by Vrakmul (23828 posts) - - Show Bio

You have to be blind and deaf to not be able to get enough warning to get away from a hurricane.  A tornado isn't so nice, they will appear out of nowhere, and are often invisible and will kill you dead on the spot.

#10 Posted by War Killer (20746 posts) - - Show Bio

I live in Alabama and I'm afraid of Tornados

#11 Posted by NightFang (10730 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Hurricanes.

#12 Posted by King Saturn (218016 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dreadnaught said:
" You have to be blind and deaf to not be able to get enough warning to get away from a hurricane.  A tornado isn't so nice, they will appear out of nowhere, and are often invisible and will kill you dead on the spot. "
There are Tornado Warnings though too that are given by the News as well... a Tornado can form out of nowhere... but the Level of Devastation is No Where near what a Hurricane can create...
#13 Posted by Vrakmul (23828 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread has been hijacked it is now about demotivational posters.

#14 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16426 posts) - - Show Bio
@HobGadling said:
" Technically, in this day and age, tornadoes are more dangerous because they don't give much notice that they're on their way.  Sorry if this offends anyone, but if you die in a hurricane in the United States, it's because you either didn't have a television or radio or don't use them, or you didn't want to live bad enough and valued other things more than your life, whether that be your job... whatever.  If you think you might die, you leave, even if you have to hitchhike.  There are a lot of excuses to use not to go, but if you're dead, you're the only one who's going to hear them. "

#15 Posted by SUNMAN (7371 posts) - - Show Bio
@HobGadling said:
" Technically, in this day and age, tornadoes are more dangerous because they don't give much notice that they're on their way.  Sorry if this offends anyone, but if you die in a hurricane in the United States, it's because you either didn't have a television or radio or don't use them, or you didn't want to live bad enough and valued other things more than your life, whether that be your job... whatever.  If you think you might die, you leave, even if you have to hitchhike.  There are a lot of excuses to use not to go, but if you're dead, you're the only one who's going to hear them. "
I don't know if I would be as blatant about it, but I have to agree with this statement
#16 Posted by stormlover1994 (910 posts) - - Show Bio

I live in Puerto Rico, and here have only been Hurricanes, but I think they are stronger than Tornadoes.

#17 Posted by Aronmorales (9721 posts) - - Show Bio

Hurricane by reputation.

#18 Posted by ARMIV (3927 posts) - - Show Bio

Hurricane.

#19 Posted by Darkness Wolf (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Hurricane

#20 Posted by Vrakmul (23828 posts) - - Show Bio

Did you know that an atomic bomb can easily disperse even the mightiest of hurricanes?  Even Littleboy had enough power to utterly destroy hurricane katrina.