Hunting and Fishing, why is Hunting bad but Fishing not?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer

This question I have thought of recently, makes me boggle my mind. I mean when I look at both of them, Hunting/Fishing are pretty much the same the only real differences between the two are: 

1. Hunting: You use a gun, knife, bow  etc

Fishing: You use a rod, harpoon, net etc

2. Hunting: The enviroment could range from forest, grassland, mountains 

Fishing: Open waters on a boat 

3. Hunting: You can hunt a variety of animals from deer to elk, to rabbit to squrriels 

Fishing: You can fish for a variety of fish/mammals from bass, to shark, lobster to mahi-mahi
 ========== 

So, I mean why is Hunting considered bad compared to Fishing? Sure for Fishing, you could just do it and release what is catched sure you can't do that with Hunting. But other then that, if your doing it for food...either isn't bad,  because your wanting to get food to eat.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xanni15

Who considers hunting bad?

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By minigunman123

@Xanni15 said:

Lots of pro-animal people who think that a deer = your next door neighbor in terms of importance and crap.

Sorry, but if I have to choose between a deer and my neighbor, we're eatin' venison tonight.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

I do believe that animal rights people believe that both are equally bad

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Neither are bad, I enjoy both.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Xanni15

@minigunman123 said:

@Xanni15 said:

Lots of pro-animal people who think that a deer = your next door neighbor in terms of importance and crap.

Sorry, but if I have to choose between a deer and my neighbor, we're eatin' venison tonight.

They're biased, though. I could see it being wrong or bad if someone just goes out and shoots a dozen animals and leaves them there.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By YoungJustice

Mostly because fishers dont kill the fish.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

All animals hunt, including humans..although to be fair, humans are the  only ones to hunt for fun rather than food.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolfrazer
@Xanni15 said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Xanni15 said:

They're biased, though. I could see it being wrong or bad if someone just goes out and shoots a dozen animals and leaves them there.

Ok see now that is bad Hunting. If you plan to go hunting, you need to kill the animal and eat it, you can use pretty much any part of the animal really. Make some nice clothing too.
_Hawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By _Hawk_

I hunt every year. I've shot maybe a hundred deer in my life.....maybe 1,000 dove. I don't think I've left more than 10lbs of meat from all of those animals.

If a Peta member has an issue with that.....they can come try and take my guns.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KnightRise

@minigunman123 said:

@Xanni15 said:

I don't think any "pro-animal people" are thinking that these days. I'm an environmental science major, focusing on terrestrial ecology (braggin').Truth is: the white-tail deer population is relatively large. Potentially, they could eat more than they have availible, which equals a massive die-off and major blow to the food web. Theres also the ever-present risk of ill-fated meetings with infrastructure; ie, car accidents, damage, dead humans, etc. If anything, seasonal hunting provides protection to the deer population in the long run. Same with large predators, like black bear. The bear population is steadily regrowing and contact with human settlements is more and more likely. If enough people are injured, or even just scared by local black bear, they'll be put on the long list of short kills. Its happened in Alaska with grey wolves, which has severely crippled both the wolf population and the habitat's balance. (Limited) hunting of black bears protects the species from the same unpoliced wipeout. Fishing is far more negative in terms of environmental impact. Overfishing commercially, hatchery pollution, and introduced species are near death sentences for endangered species, which fishers seem to lack the ability to discern from gamefish.