Hunger Games Books

_Hawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By _Hawk_

My friend just loaned me the Hunger Games books.....what can I expect? I know nothing but what's on the previews for the movies.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

My sister keeps going on and on about these books. I do remember her mentioning them and Lord of the Flies in the same sentence.

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

It's not what it sounds like... picture Twilight with a less violent violent Battle Royale and you have yourself Hunger Games. It was almost too awkward to read... also the first 3 quarters of the book take place before the actual Hunger Games and the last quarter of the book are half Hunger Games action and half romance.....

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

The first one is awesome. Unfortunately the climaxes of the second and third aren't as good as the first I think. Definitely worth a read though.

duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By duchess

You'll get the best series ever. But definitely not a children's read, I don't know why they are advertised as such. I found the second and especially the third had really disturbing underlying themes.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mercy_

Still haven't read these.

duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By duchess

@The Dark Huntress said:

Still haven't read these.

The main character reminds me a lot of Cass.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HBKTimHBK

It's a good book series.

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9  Edited By Battlepig

The Hunger Games Trilogy is rather good, all in all. The first book is nothing short of excellent, seeing as it pretty much manages to avoid all the romance tropes that could possibly be associated with it. The male love interest of the later books spends over half the book dying a rather unglorious way while the female lead is trying not to die in some really ugly way herself. The second book... well, that's when the tropes start. Katniss Everdeen has to pick between two completely featureless male characters and her heart is torn blahblahblah, oh and there's also a battle for the death going on. But you'll have to read the second one because otherwise the third one won't make any sense. And the third one is worth it as it puts a couple twists into the whole story that make book one look rather different again. And the ending is totally not what you expect.

All in all, read it. The books are relatively quick reads, so you're not wasting much time if you end up not liking them.

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

@Duchess said:

You'll get the best series ever. But definitely not a children's read, I don't know why they are advertised as such. I found the second and especially the third had really disturbing underlying themes.

The first wasn't even that bad... didn't most of the story take place in a cave? For some reason thats all I remember about that book.. that and the DRESS MADE OF FIRE! MUAHAHA... but seriously, the second and third were more adultish?

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By Hawkeye446

@PrinceIMC said:

The first one is awesome. Unfortunately the climaxes of the second and third aren't as good as the first I think. Definitely worth a read though.

This sounds just about perfect. I read them just before they became insanely popular.

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12  Edited By Battlepig

@TheWholeDamnShow: The cave is Katniss' and Peeta's hideout, seeing as Peeta is wounded and can't walk. The Dress made of Fire was very cheesy, but it didn't bother me as much as some of the excessive description of clothing in the second book (I blame that on the lack of plot that happens throughout most of Book #2). Besides, it's a sort of special-effects-show thing where the tributes show off the glory and flashiness of their homes to people who have never seen them and never will. And if you're from the shown-off district, you see the face of the person you know, all flashy and you're proud of them. From a propaganda-standpoint, it's actually really effective. So I could see that happening and looking pretty good at that as well.

Book #2 is a bit rubbish, but you'll need to read it to understand the third book, which kicks ass again. The first one still is the best, but the ending has quite some surprising elements in it and it doesn't end at all like you'd think.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceIMC
@Battlepig: Yeah my problem with book two is that while the climax is going on the protagonist is unconscious, so instead of showing it they just kinda explain it to her later....Why show action when we can turn it into boring exposition?