Human Hypocrisy Looks do Matter: Question?

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By thehummingbird

As a child everyone is constantly told to not judge a book by its cover, however, if a man in a white tank top, ponytail, jeans, and boots (no offense if you dress like this I am merely presenting a stereotype not trying to represent a group as whole through an individual...)  walks in are you not taught that you should not go talk to a person such as this? We are told not to judge by what is on the outside, but at the same time we are. It is like humans try to push these utopian ideals upon us when, we live in a dis-topian world. I have also come to terms with the fact that as long as humans have sight, they are going to judge.  I do not think we can physically help it. Judging someone does not always have to be a negative thing, such as I often look at someone and think they are really cute or attractive, or look like a nice person. The problem is what makes us decide that this person looks nice or this person looks like trouble? What do we associate the word trouble with? What physical characteristics make someone look like trouble? What makes someone look nice? How accurate are these judgements? I honestly used to would have argued that often these judgements tare not rue, but I walk the line often and have seen the truth of both sides. This is not really a blog where I present a bunch of my own ideas more so where I see what others think.....I am really curious....Just to through out some stereotypes and see what everyone thinks, prep, jock, hipster, scene kid, redneck, and  nerd umm...and so on list any stereotype you want and what you believe to be true and false ...Depending on how much feedback I get I may right a follow up answer blog, about my own opinion as well as popular ones. Please ReplY! Not super deep, but I promise my follow up will be if I get enough FEEDBACK!

Love.

THB
Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Darkseid Elite

I try not to judge others on looks but it happens. If I see someone sporting the Steve Urkel look I think of nerd. It's just natural for me. But I don't let that hold me back, I accept everyone. Don't care if you're white, black,  nerdy, weird...ect I'll be your friend. I think everyone needs atleast one friend. Really don't care if other people will judge me for hanging out with someone because of their status or how they look. People really need to grow up and get past the outer shell because we're all human. Everyone came outta a woman and were born on the same Earth. Also I think people need to stop labeling others.
thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thehummingbird
@Darkseid Elite: 

Thanks awesome reply, this is what I was hoping to hear =) I just really want to see how people view this subject when people can not look at them and judge them when they talk. I hope that makes some sense, overall I agree, and to much emphasis is put on it, but I am beginning to wonder if that is human, and we fight to deny ourselves an aspect of being human through this though, it would not be a bad thing if we did. 
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By castleking

its unseemly for someone of you physical and intellectual  attributes to plead for a response.  :I

also what does THB mean?

I think it is human nature to judge and make snap decisions about individual based solely on outward appearance. I think one of the main difference when it comes to being a parent is to protect one's children hence they may say one thing but at the same time change it when they see someone who dresses different possibly thinking he is poor and hence is more likely to commit a crime or endanger the child. you can tell your kids not to judge ppl by appearance but that doesnt mean you let them talk to any tom dick and harry out there so you tell them to stay away from strangers and yes even certain ppl.. I also dont think you need parents to teach a child who he or she shouldnt speak to or be around. society itself does it for you through television, school teachers and other kids.

I have bn judged by appearance and seen how differently i am treated at a store or in public when i am in my construction clothes yet i am treated differently when i dress up shave for a club or for a dinner gathering.
We in general judge by various things from social  status, skin tone and clothes, it isnt right but ppl arent going to change not when you have parents telling their kids who to date and what they should go after...

i blame parents.  : /

it always the answer.

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thehummingbird
@castleking: 

can not tell if that was an insult or compliment , on and THB, thehummingbird, first letter of each....^_^ Racial stereotypes are a big one as well and one that really gets to me...More than anything because the person has no control over this while clothes and such they do. Also you thank you very much for the feedback =) About we do not need to teach kids I used to believe this more than I do now, many many people lack basic common sense in so many ways it is hard to believe, but I can see your point, I just think you might be overestimating people XD 

GreenParrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By GreenParrot

I think many preconceived stereotypes come from what we see on television and movies.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator

I think people most of all, underestimate critical thinking. There isn't anything wrong with judging or stereotyping people, or having a gut or instant reaction to people. Its a momentarily though or understanding. i think people are made to feel guilty about what's basically an inbuilt and natural reaction. 
The thing though, is that where aren't out on the savannah no more, people can correct themselves and question themselves, and their natural reactions and assertions. More people should do that. Just question yourself and what conclusions you make about people, and just ask yourself if its fair or necessary? Then you can either reinforce your notion, or deconstruct it, and come up with a more educated understanding. I think thats what people should push and endorse more, critical thinking and not always trying to be right with the first observation. So I see a guy dressed in skin tight white leather with a cane, and a fake tan, and gold teeth wearing shades during the day? I will judge him regardless of whether I want to or not, he'll just stick out lol. I will think negative things as well. Its just a look though, and I know i don't who that person actually is. He might volunteer at a children's hospital. He might be the kindest, nicest, most intelligent person who has ever lived. I mean... probably not, but the emphasis is just on me, not trying to be or care if I am right or not, its about straight up admitting ignorance and thats not a bad thing. Anyway, with me, I walk away with a positive assessment of this stranger. I prefer positive judgements, and reserving judgement of actual actions. Like if that dude was punching an innocent old person. Now, that, well thats more substantial a scenario to judge someone. lol

Anyway, I enjoy challenging my own perceptions, and have done so for so long, I can't really use labels. I really genuinely just see individuals. I still make assumptions, but they tend to be less generalized and more specific. That dude over there is wearing 4 jumpers, I guess he might be cold. That girl over there is eating Mcdonalds. She must be eating McDonalds. Or, she might have brought some KFC, and is hiding the KFC in the McDonalds boxes and wrappers... but hey... who am I to judge? (lol)

I like comic book websites too, because I find its like a mini eco-system, that reflects these labels people use fairly or unfairly. Its fun seeing other people react to and with other people. How different people do it, and why and how, and what the outcomes are. (of course, because we present ourselves with limited information, and there is so much of it, but generally we just see a username, avatar and a singular post, opinion, thought, and most people post more than once, and so how much you start looking, you start getting a better understanding of a person, and you are proven correct or incorrect about observations you might have already formed. Good or bad. 

Cool blog, I wish I was rested enough to post more, i would wish to. 

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thehummingbird
@GreenParrot: 

agreed modern media is a huge influence on what we perceive...however...it would be interesting to see who makes these shows and such that set the bar for our society and who we are truly listening to. 
Umbrella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Umbrella
@thehummingbird said:
"if a man in a white tank top, ponytail, jeans, and boots"
Do not talk to Billy Ray Cyrus?
GreenParrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GreenParrot
@thehummingbird: My guess is judgmental people with a superiority complex. Oops! I'm stereotyping.
thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thehummingbird
@Umbrella: 

lmao though I was thinking more along the lines of this...

No Caption Provided
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By castleking
@thehummingbird said:

" @castleking: 

can not tell if that was an insult or compliment , on and THB, thehummingbird, first letter of each....^_^ Racial stereotypes are a big one as well and one that really gets to me...More than anything because the person has no control over this while clothes and such they do. Also you thank you very much for the feedback =) About we do not need to teach kids I used to believe this more than I do now, many many people lack basic common sense in so many ways it is hard to believe, but I can see your point, I just think you might be overestimating people XD 

"
i'm a master of the asteism  >_>
  http://www.hulu.com/watch/70003/the-simpsons-unsults
but it was meant as a compliment to your intelligence and attractive qualities, after all you did say you study a lot and go to one of the best schools, right?

i also agree with SC

@SC said:
" I think people most of all, underestimate critical thinking. There isn't anything wrong with judging or stereotyping people, or having a gut or instant reaction to people. Its a momentarily though or understanding. i think people are made to feel guilty about what's basically an inbuilt and natural reaction. 

The thing though, is that where aren't out on the savannah no more, people can correct themselves and question themselves, and their natural reactions and assertions. More people should do that. jUst question yourself and what conclusions you make about people, and just ask yourself if its fair or necessary? Then you can either reinforce your notion, or deconstruct it, and come up with a more educated understanding.
DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By DH69

i prefer to see the worst in people so that no matter what they can only improve =D...lol kidding im just cynical

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think its quite simply that we as human beings are visual and, though discouraged from doing so, often develop judgments of people based on looks alone. Its not right, but it is what it is.  One thing I'd like to point out to you though is another physical description that you seemed to have left off your list (i.e. prep, jock, hipster, etc. etc.).  Its not gender and its not racial, nor ethnic, but purely physical, and that is body size.  Yes, go to my picture and you will see that I'm not exactly the leanest human being you see.  I'm sleek and, well, for anyone who wishes to say it, the "f-word". And you cannot possibly fathom how many preconceived notions and prejudices people have about ones like me.  Its really unfair if one thinks about it, and just like others have mentioned it doesn't help that we have shows and programs that try and perpetuate these terrible stereotypes.  And for ones like me the stereotypes especially hurt since we are the ones who are always deemed to ugly or unattractive so, yeah I stare it in the face all the time.  So why do we have these stereotypes? Namely as you say it, the human tradition of hypocrisy.  Pure and simple.

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thehummingbird
@SC: 

DO not judge me for hiding my unhealthy food choice of KFC in a healthier McDonalds bag....>=( I kid I kid I have not had either of those things since I was like 12 XD 

Anyway...-nods- as always I agree with most of what you say, as of right now I am trying to keep my opinion  minimal so I can leader come up with how I truly feel about everything though. The only judging i strongly disagree with is racial, and when people automatically label someone as troubled or messed up because they do not look like a cookie cutter model =/ As I did say though I really question if humans can truly ever not judge, at least not in the society that we are in I find it to be impossible because of the competitive attitude that is forced upon us at birth. I have been studying surrealism and the problematic existence of modern man and I think this could easily be applied into this topic, and how the different modern stresses feed into our judgmental society...sorry ranted just had a bunch of random ideas...
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By castleking

i'm judging you solely on the fact that you took a picture with Rob Liefeld.  : /

also i know what you are saying i was ingrained as a child to be very judgmental with none fit ppl from my stepdad to my MA training to my military time in the marines...

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Larkin1388

I try not to judge by how someone looks but sometimes i catch myself doing it... I believe humans do this out of instinct. In the times of Neanderthals this may have been useful as a survival technique to keep themselves from being harmed or killed. Kinda like and bad vibe or something.

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thehummingbird
@RedheadedAtrocitus: 

hmmm...Probably did not mention because it is not the one that comes to my mind often....>_> Though it is true what you said it is nice to get someone to openly express a more personal experience on the matter though....I get stereotyped, but in a different way I think regardless of most stereotypes it hurts =/  I can not forget I forgot to add gender stereotypes especially considering my previous blogs....Now I am a little disappointed in myself. 

@castleking:

Well thank you if that was a compliment and yes number one magnet school/ number seven overall in the country, the price for going to the school a social life...=_=' Not to brag ;D jk jk jk nothing to brag about it is jus misery...>_> 
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By sexy_merc

I'll befriend pretty much anyone, close friends are a different story (because from my experiences, the nerds, geeks, loners etc. are hard to build close friendships with because we don't have a lot in common and we're too different overall). Personality is one of the most important things for friends to have, but I'd be lying if I said that I hang out with more of the nerdy girls than I do the 'hot' ones. Sometimes the former just seem to like to hang out with similar people to them and are afraid to approach the more 'popular' students or 'jocks'.

As for relationships, I'd never go out with a girl I find physically unattractive. Obviously if her personality is terrible to me, I wouldn't go out with her. A girl can be the most intelligent girl in the world or have similar interests but if she isn't attractive to me personally (I personally think girls like Megan Fox and other celebrities so much guys love are unattractive tho), then she'd be stuck in the friend zone. Call it whatever you want but it's just the way it is.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castleking: That was meant for me wasn't it? lol
thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thehummingbird
@Sexy Merc: 

Thanks for the honesty and everything you said is very legit. Most people would not date someone they found physically unattractive, And I am glad someone does not find Megan Fox attractive other than me =)
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if there were a society of lookalikes with nothing remarkably different in their mannerisms, there would still be something minuscule to set them apart. I look at differences in others as candy so much that I invite those people in to find common ground and a continual basis for friendship. I usually realize I dislike some of them.
But with stereotypes, the personality always wins people over provided its not ridden with social stigmas, self-deprecation and cliches, because a shtick is a horrible thing to force on others. Expressing yourself through clothing and music, not so much.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Judging people harshly is a huge reflection on one's insecurity. If you're happy with yourself, you shouldn't be labeling others around you. Granted, I judge people all the time, but that's because I live in Douchebag Capital

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thehummingbird
@texasdeathmatch: 

seconded who knew we lived in the same place? 
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By TypingKira

I confess, I can't help but make some assumptions about a person based on a first impression and their looks. But I'll be darned if I don't get to know someone or talk to them no matter what they look like. Looks matter a little bit, at least for a second, but really, it comes down to the person themself and not as much what they're wearing. 

I'm in a hurry so sorry if that seems like incoherent babble ^_^
thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thehummingbird
@TypingKira: 

Haha no do not worry about it, you made your point quite well, especially for someone in a hurry ^_^ 
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@thehummingbird said:
" @texasdeathmatch: 

seconded who knew we lived in the same place? 
"
Haha I feel like there's a lot places like that, I just can't stand aspiring actors and writers. They really are the saddest, most obnoxious people I've ever come across.
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By Project_Worm
@thehummingbird: Yeah I cant Imagine any one who would see this and not judge.

No Caption Provided

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thehummingbird
@Project_Worm: 

haha glad someone got my reference XD 
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Project_Worm
@thehummingbird: Yeah those two are some pretty messed up looking dudes
thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thehummingbird
@Project_Worm: 

-about to stereotype on her own anti-stereotype blog- I would probably run like hell if I ran into to either of them in an alley well XD I am not a hypocrite...>_> 
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Project_Worm
@thehummingbird: 
I dont know if I would run........ Probably just go into the fetal position. xD

Speaking of two bad looking dudes I would piss my pants if I saw thes guys after me.

No Caption Provided

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thehummingbird
@Project_Worm: 

Haha XD I would more likely scream and get shot...

If I saw THOSE guys coming at me I would shit my pants XD 
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Project_Worm

Me and my friend were standing next to this guy who was wearing a bandanna had a tattooed tear drop, and I was like "man I dont feel comfortable standing here," my friend said "you cant judge people bro," and I said "the dudes got a knife." He said "so maybe hes a chef or sumtin."

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thehummingbird
@Project_Worm: 

Your friend is the nicest idiot I have ever heard of XD I would have been like you want to run away now? If I saw that...mainly because I have had bad experiences when I do not go with my gut about things like this though....
Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jotham
@Project_Worm said:
" Me and my friend were standing next to this guy who was wearing a bandanna had a tattooed tear drop, and I was like "man I dont feel comfortable standing here," my friend said "you cant judge people bro," and I said "the dudes got a knife." He said "so maybe hes a chef or sumtin." "
You said all that out loud?
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Project_Worm
@Jotham: 
Not really out loud I was saying it under my breath so that only my friend could hear me... at least i think only my friend could hear me.......... Hmm maybe the guy wasnt so bad :)
Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jotham
@Project_Worm said:
" @Jotham: 
Not really out loud I was saying it under my breath so that only my friend could hear me... at least i think only my friend could hear me.......... Hmm maybe the guy wasnt so bad :)
"
Sounds like a saint, to me.
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Project_Worm
@Jotham: 
Oh yeah..
jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jeanlucpicard

I try to stay away from the people wearing a wind breaker when its 90 degrees outside.
Kap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kap

People stereotype me all the time. Just because they are right doesn't make it right.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Project_Worm
@Kap: 
I know what you mean man Im Mexican, I mean i dont look Mexican but once people find out that i am.... It can get pretty funny though.