HULK RANTS: Why are kids not interested in Hulk?

• 73 results
RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

And where is the poll you are basing this off? If you are just comparing him to Spiderman than there is nothing much to say there, Spidey was always and will always be popular with kids. Heck when i was a kid i loved Spiderman and didn't really care much for the Hulk to be honest. He seemed like the bad guy to me and scary/ugly so i guess that could be one of the reasons. And as you know kids are very shallow(not really their problem it's just how they are at that age). The giant, ugly, dumb monster wouldn't appeal to them as much as a fun, hip, jokes spewing hero like Spiderman would. As i grow older i learned to appreciate the character a lot more and see the dept and the struggle between the man and the beast, something kids wouldn't really understand or even think about it.

Still Hulk is plenty of popular, i would say he is in the top 3 most popular Marvel characters. I remember a poll that was done on facebook(i think it was facebook) of which was your favorite Avenger(after the Avengers movie) and over 100 000 people voted and Hulk was about tied with Ironman... Which was insane especially considering how many people just adored RDJ as Ironman. A bad movie from Ironman can still earn a billion at the box office and this guy tied in popularity with the Hulk, that was amazing to me.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@avenging_x_bolt: I watched like 7 or so episodes and yeah, that's all she does. I was so disgusted that I quit watching it.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they know the Thing is way cooler than the Hulk.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@powerherc said:

You're just jelly because Hulk beats thing all the time :P

Maybe. :[

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the real question should be why is Hulk so interested on kids.

Not more than Batman! Boo Yah! I'm looking at all you Robins out there!

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I've read a lot of his stories. I should have elaborated more I find his power set boring/bland not the characters history or anything. He just doesn't appeal to me with the monstrous strength and turning into a giant green beast. Where as I much prefer Superman with his look and powers etc. Just a big thing for me is the characters powers and looks.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Spider-man is the coolest there is

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on this thread mate.

As for my opinion, I can only guess that the reason why Hulk isn't as popular amongst kids as Spider-Man or Batman is because a lot of the Hulk's origin and character is dumbed down. Even his popular incarnation on Avengers: EMH was distilled down to Hulk getting angry, saying a one liner and smashing villains. Don't get me wrong, that was easily one of the best translations of Hulk from the comics since using the Gravage form kept him intelligent whilst also allowing him angry moments. But there's a lot more depth and tragedy to the Hulk than that. Psychological trauma, childhood abuse, accidental murder, mental psychosis, there's a lot of adult and mature themes to the Hulk that only older readers can embrace.

I thought the 1990's animated Hulk series was really good, and covered alot of issues that you have talked about. It had me legitimately sad at all the sh!t Bruce Banner got put through, both as himself and the Hulk. Thing is though, Hulk was savage in that. Also kids don't really care about that stuff. If they did, Ultimate Spider-Man wouldn't have replaced Spectacular Spider-Man and EMH wouldn't have been replaced by Avengers Assemble. Young Justice would have not been cancelled. USM and AA are not bad, but they don't come anywhere near their predecessors in terms of introducing more adult elements. What Kids want is action, toys, gadgets, accessible humor and a relatively bright palate in terms of plot. Hulk Agents of Smash delivers that in abundance to 1990's Hulk. Its sad, but at the age of 5-7, which is the age group these shows are being offered to, I would have liked Ult Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble and Agents of Smash over the more acclaimed shows TBH.

The more specific reason is that dumming down Hulk's character to one-liners and smashing things doesn't suit him well at all. Spider-Man encompasses that really well, granted that isn't his whole character and they are deeper elements to him, but his fighting style, movement and his background material really lend well to that type of thing. Hulk doesn't, its a bit of an odd fit breaking the fourth wall, and cracking jokes for the kids, its always going to be a bit harder to work humor and that light hearted attitude around him.

What bothers me though is that people don't seem to like to dwell into the more troubled parts of Bruce's life. I loved Ang Lee's Hulk because of this, yet the film is universally panned. In fact one of the first blogs I ever wrote on Comicvine was about how I enjoyed said film, especially when compared to the sequel.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/laflux/blog/which-is-the-best-hulk-feature-length-movie/77401/

Its not @theacidskull level by any means, but don't hate on me I had barely been on CV for a month.

As you said, Hulk receptions have become more positive as Hulk and Bruce have become more light-heartened and less anguished characters Bana<Norton<Gruffallo in terms of popularity.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Hulk is infinitely more entertaining than Spider-Man and his generic ass

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Gojira2014

Some kids do.

I don't get the appeal of Hulk for kids. He's angry and smashes things. If I were a non comic book parent, I don't think I'd want my kid idolizing that character.

This.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By WarBlade539

Wait what? Kids LOVE the Hulk. I remember being a huge fan of the '96 TV Show, my first introduction to the Hulk. And I know tons of little peeps who absolutely adored the Hulk in movies like 'Avengers' and TV Shows like EMH.

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By TheHulk

Wow. Hulk am impressed with all the comments on here. Hulk haven't had this many commentators on a blog since the Twilight one.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@joygirl said:

@avenging_x_bolt: I watched like 7 or so episodes and yeah, that's all she does. I was so disgusted that I quit watching it.

i dont blame you. thats incredibly dissapointing but not suprising.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Unfortunately The Hulk has been turned to a lovable smashing monster about the public (have you seen tumblr), Bruce Banner/The Hulk is a tragic character from the get go. He's our modern Jekyll/Hyde but he hasn't been explored there (even The Avengers movie basically side stepped the whole thing.) I do remember as a kid watching a Hulk animated series and understanding how he become to be like that and also the underrated Ang Lee movie (which really should be some of the Superhero movies we should be getting.)

But I never thought he was a kid-friendly character and can't be simply changed like Batman (who can switch between adult/kid audiences at any point.) I would really like to see Disney explore the adult nature of Hulk in film but alas that won't happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@laflux said:

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on this thread mate.

As for my opinion, I can only guess that the reason why Hulk isn't as popular amongst kids as Spider-Man or Batman is because a lot of the Hulk's origin and character is dumbed down. Even his popular incarnation on Avengers: EMH was distilled down to Hulk getting angry, saying a one liner and smashing villains. Don't get me wrong, that was easily one of the best translations of Hulk from the comics since using the Gravage form kept him intelligent whilst also allowing him angry moments. But there's a lot more depth and tragedy to the Hulk than that. Psychological trauma, childhood abuse, accidental murder, mental psychosis, there's a lot of adult and mature themes to the Hulk that only older readers can embrace.

I thought the 1990's animated Hulk series was really good, and covered alot of issues that you have talked about. It had me legitimately sad at all the sh!t Bruce Banner got put through, both as himself and the Hulk. Thing is though, Hulk was savage in that. Also kids don't really care about that stuff. If they did, Ultimate Spider-Man wouldn't have replaced Spectacular Spider-Man and EMH wouldn't have been replaced by Avengers Assemble. Young Justice would have not been cancelled. USM and AA are not bad, but they don't come anywhere near their predecessors in terms of introducing more adult elements. What Kids want is action, toys, gadgets, accessible humor and a relatively bright palate in terms of plot. Hulk Agents of Smash delivers that in abundance to 1990's Hulk. Its sad, but at the age of 5-7, which is the age group these shows are being offered to, I would have liked Ult Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble and Agents of Smash over the more acclaimed shows TBH.

The more specific reason is that dumming down Hulk's character to one-liners and smashing things doesn't suit him well at all. Spider-Man encompasses that really well, granted that isn't his whole character and they are deeper elements to him, but his fighting style, movement and his background material really lend well to that type of thing. Hulk doesn't, its a bit of an odd fit breaking the fourth wall, and cracking jokes for the kids, its always going to be a bit harder to work humor and that light hearted attitude around him.

What bothers me though is that people don't seem to like to dwell into the more troubled parts of Bruce's life. I loved Ang Lee's Hulk because of this, yet the film is universally panned. In fact one of the first blogs I ever wrote on Comicvine was about how I enjoyed said film, especially when compared to the sequel.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/laflux/blog/which-is-the-best-hulk-feature-length-movie/77401/

Its not @theacidskull level by any means, but don't hate on me I had barely been on CV for a month.

As you said, Hulk receptions have become more positive as Hulk and Bruce have become more light-heartened and less anguished characters Bana<Norton<Gruffallo in terms of popularity.

Oh yeah the 1990s show did strike that balance well now that I think of it. There was a lot of the tragedy and pathos that is linked with the Hulk in the first place. But it really annoys me that dumb kiddy stuff is replacing the legitimately classic all age material like Spectacular Spider-Man or Justice League. Stuff adults and kids could enjoy. And whilst I'd like to say I would be more drawn to the other stuff as a kid, the truth is you're right on saying Ultimate Spider-Man or Agents of SMASH is much more appealing to kids than the previously mature cartoons.

Agreed, Hulk's power works best when he cuts loose with it. Spider-Man can do that in a non destructive and relatively non brutal way but limiting the Hulk's fights isn't for the best. Not to mention the humour in Agents of SMASH is dumbed down beyond belief.

Eh I wasn't the biggest fan of the first Hulk film but I can see where you're coming from in terms of what it did right mate. It was just a bit too dark and down in the dumps. Whereas Ruffalo took the negativity and spun it into something positive. Which is a big success of the Avengers IMO.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I start reading one of your threads, I stop immediately after I remember the "let's write like the Hulk talks" thing. I have to remember before entering one of these things.

Emperor_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's green???

Opunaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you says 'kids', do you mean 10 and under or anyone under 17/18? Cuz I have a little theory...

I think it's because tastes change as they get older. Spider-Man (in cartoon form anyway) is cheerful, bright and colorful and 'silly' while Hulk--when portrayed correctly and not just dumb muscle--represents the angst and frustration teens and adults can have with themselves and life. Can't tell you how many times I've wished I could Hulk-out with my problems. Younger kids won't get that, and the dumb guy jokes get old fast.

It also may have something to do with hippie parents being afraid of violence on TV or some crap.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they probably don't air this anymore.

Loading Video...