Hulk Rants; Animal Farm Movie in the works by Andy Serkis!

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By TheHulk
No Caption Provided

Andy Serkis is reported to be working on a new adaptation of the classic George Orwell book, "Animal Farm."

http://screenrant.com/animal-farm-movie-andy-serkis-2014-start-date/

No Caption Provided

The classic allegory for communism featuring talking animals will be directed by Serkis himself and the animals are going to be entirely performance-capture. Interesting. The film is supposed to start filming sometime this year and is going to be a...contemporary update and satirize modern political stuff.

Hulk am not totally sure about this. While Hulk am interested in seeing how this turns out, Hulk don't see how motion-capture will work for animals that walk on four legs and have non-humanoid faces, like pigs, horses, ducks, and stuff. Hulk don't know that will work. But, hey, considering the fact that movie tech has come so far, Hulk will believe anything.

Also, Hulk's biggest concern is what the audience, as in the average commoner, will do when they go to see the movie and see the trailers. Because this material, while it does feature pigs walking on 2 legs and wearing clothes and features talking animals establishing a country and other silly things like that, it is NOT intended for kids. Hulk am worried that the only thing people who see this are going to take away from it is, "Oh, there's talking animals in it." Hulk am worried modern audiences won't understand that it is intended as an allegory for Stalin's reign in Russia and that they'll take their kids...and the kids will get nightmares. Because the book and both film adaptations, one animated from 1954, and one live-action with real animals in 1999, contain somewhat disturbing imagery.

"A pig being a tyrant and killing everyone! Bring the kids!"

Maybe Hulk am just over-analyzing a little. Hulk am sure it could be good. It's supposed to be released some time in 2016.

NOW HULK WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!

What do you think about this? Will you see Andy Serkis' Animal Farm? Have you read the book?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This is great news Hulk. I've been waiting for an announcement for a movie for the book since I've read the book. I'm kinda not sure how I feel about Andy directing it. But his acting will be perfect for the movie. I wonder what animal he'll play.

I also hope that the average movie goer knows that this is based on a book and that they don't go "oh this is stupid, why do the animals talk and walk?" The part about parents and kids mistaking this for a kid's movie can be easily fixed. Just throw in a couple gritty moments in the trailers which the movie will surely have or make it rated R. Either way I can't wait till 2016.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Never read the book.... well I don't read books in general

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I haven't read the book yet.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

I've read the book and saw a made for TV movie. That's enough for me.

DaredevilDD78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

meh

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great news Hulk. I've been waiting for an announcement for a movie for the book since I've read the book. I'm kinda not sure how I feel about Andy directing it. But his acting will be perfect for the movie. I wonder what animal he'll play.

I also hope that the average movie goer knows that this is based on a book and that they don't go "oh this is stupid, why do the animals talk and walk?" The part about parents and kids mistaking this for a kid's movie can be easily fixed. Just throw in a couple gritty moments in the trailers which the movie will surely have or make it rated R. Either way I can't wait till 2016.

Hulk am also interested in seeing how this turns out. It could be cool to see. But, Hulk have to reserve judgement until a trailer comes out.

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're missing out then. It's pretty good.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SheenLantern

I was originally excited upon hearing this news, but then I realised it was just because of thinking of Animal Farm made me happy. So I'm just gonna go re-read the book for the umpteenth time and ignore this inevitably awful movie.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooooooh...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern: Inevitably awful? Why? The one from the '90s was pretty good, and this one has Andy Serkis attached to it.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: "Since it will apparently reshape Orwell’s story" This is all I needed to hear before writing this entire movie off.

I've never seen the '90s movie and I have absolutely no idea who Andy Serkis is.

Oh, he helped direct the soulless, bland, monotonous Hobbit cash-ins. Colour me less than enthusiastic.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern: Didn't catch that part.

He's the industry's leading talent for motion capture acting. He played Gollum in LotR, Cesar in Rise and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, etc.

Yeah, he got to be the 2nd unit director IIRC.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Massive red flag as far as I'm concerned, it's never a good thing for film makers to go into film adaptations with the mindset that what they're adapting is defective or somehow inadequate and in need of their improvement. Unless of course, they do actually have a groundbreaking new portrayal of the source material, but when you remember the source material is Orwell, that sort of goes out the window.

At least it won't look offensive, probably.

Doesn't even sound like he had that big of an influence on the Hobbit films.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern: Agreed. Hopefully their intentions aren't as drastic as that quote would suggest.

Well if he can't do it, then no one can.

Mmm. Not really, no. He's a 2nd unit director so he's just an extension of Jackson's creative decisions.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehulk: so what you're saying hulk, is you think something similar to watchmen will happen (some parents thought due to having superheroes it would be suitable for kids ignoring the rating)

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By force_echo

I haven't read the book since like 6th grade when it was required reading, but seriously? Modern issues? Is the Stalin pig going to start using drones? Are we going to see horses strapped with suicide bombs? Are there going to be advanced surveillance systems on this farm? Seems a little ridiculous to me. I mean, even more so than talking animals in general.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By SaintWildcard

@thehulk said:

@dagmar_merrill said:

You're missing out then. It's pretty good.

Meh, just watch the 1954 movie

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By comicace3

OOh this actually might be interesting. I can't wait to see it.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the book and enjoyed it. I'll watch this when it comes out.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This could be interesting on the one had with Animal Farm's themes and underlying motives allowing for a multiple layered story to it. Trying to comment on modern day political issues and criticisms using Animal Farm's metaphorical backdrop could be interesting. On the other hand, reshaping the story might involve some erroneous translation of the book. Not to mention that the motion capture Serkis is known for could be difficult to translate onto less expressive animals like chickens or ducks. It could look like cartoonish CGI and that would be bad for the film.

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jan_Valker

Serky's as a director? Let's hope for the best.

However, I don't feel this to be a big hit at the box office.