How would you handle Santa Claus with the lies and all?

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi!

I know this is exactly what everyone just loves to hear about it on Christmas, Merry Christmas to everyone that reads this by the way because I'm feeling nice, but what do you think about the Santa Claus myth? Have you told it to your children? Have you specifically decided *not* to tell it to your children? I've been thinking about this recently and been doing some googling on it since I'm bored and read up on stories with how hurt children can be because of the complicated lying involved. Or they could not be offended at all like I wasn't, but being offended is a possibility.

In general, how would you handle Santa Claus?

And here's Tim Allen in The Santa Clause because well..he's Santa to me like Morgan Freeman is God
And here's Tim Allen in The Santa Clause because well..he's Santa to me like Morgan Freeman is God

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Show a lot of Christmas movies about Santa Claus and being good, put presents under tree come Christmas. If the kid asks explicitly where the presents come from, reply with, "Where does (insert movie talking about Santa Claus here) say they come from?"

Therefore, I never TECHNICALLY lie, but my kid can still believe in Santa Claus.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

Whenever I have a kid, I'll introduce Santa as a game, like my parents did with me. Hate lying and I hate admitting I've lied even more, plus I don't want the kids to go through that. And when I was growing up I still got to have all the fun of going through Christmas traditions, with the added bonus of having an "inside" joke with my parents. I really see the "Santa is a game" option as the best one.

And you never like told other kids that Santa isn't real, or did your parents warn you against it?

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I dont think i ever belived in Santa Claus and i'm pretty sure that i wont tell that myth to my kids but who knows....

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex said:

I dont think i ever belived in Santa Claus and i'm pretty sure that i wont tell that myth to my kids but who knows....

Would you just not tell it or would you tell them it's all fake?

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: You seemed to have gone through it the best way haha

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex said:

If they ask me i'll say:Go ask your mom she's the brain :P.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rouflex

@hbktimhbk said:

@rouflex said:

Nah but i would just tell them, if you belive in him than he will exist somewhere (In his Heart and im not evan sure if i will say that lol...)... I will never show them any proof or say anything against/for the existence (Except the heart thing >.> if i feel like it) of Santa.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rouflex

In other words i'm not sure...

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex said:

In other words i'm not sure...

I've been thinking about what I'd do too.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If I had kids, I would tell them the truth.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

If I ever have a kid (and I don't ever plan to atm), I'm not going to bother with it.

I found out when I was about 5 or 6 because I snuck out of my room and saw my parents putting stuff under the tree. I don't feel like I was missing anything after I found out.

...I was mostly interested in the presents anyway.

Avatar image for homicidalmaniac
homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

WTF!!!!!SANTA CLAUS ISN'T REAL!!!!!!!!!! :'(

No Caption Provided

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 SC  Moderator

I would tell my children about Santa being real, because they are going to eventually learn about him eventually and I would want them to have a few special moments of wonder and gullibility in their youths. Sure I can realize at some point they are going to be hurt or confused or annoyed when they find out he isn't real, but they are also going to be annoyed and hurt and confused when I tell them they can't have any chocolate ice cream until after they eat their vegetables and clean their rooms. Children are going to be hurt, offended and annoyed a lot in their youths no matter what happens and they are going to be lied to by everything and everyone including their parents for lack of their maturity, experience and knowledge and just sheer capacity for some ideas that even adults struggle with.

That also being said I plan on teaching (when they are of schooling age) my hypothetical theoretical children about critical thinking and skepticism and about Odin, Saint Nicholas, Yule, Kris Kringle, Father Christmas, Sinterklaas and how traditions and mythology are created and passed on and about the reasoning and purpose that goes into manipulation and deception, about coping mechanisms and just all manner of similar things. I think its important that children develop their own critical reasoning abilities to analyze the likelihood's and probabilities of the information they get no matter the source and be a bit skeptical about anything they are told to believe, and learning and realizing that they were once inaccurate about a belief is a nice reminder to filter information from sources, even if that source is me. I would rather have a patient, creative and reasonable child than an obedient child who always does and believes as I tell them.

Then my child's sense of wonder about a jolly fat man with presents can be replaced with a sense of wonder about reality and history and the quantum mechanics and physics about a hypothetical Santa accomplishing his mythical feats, and then about how they might possibly approach their own children one day about how to present Santa to them heh heh.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By patrat18

I don't have a chimney BAM!

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@homicidalmaniac said:

WTF!!!!!

SANTA CLAUS ISN'T REAL!!!!!!!!!! :'(

No Caption Provided

Oh no! I'm sorry! D;

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JediXMan  Moderator

When I have kids, Santa will just be a fictional character to them. It's just a character in movies and TV shows, like... well, like superheroes.

My parents didn't do the Santa thing, and I'm glad they didn't.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HBKTimHBK

@jedixman said:

When I have kids, Santa will just be a fictional character to them. It's just a character in movies and TV shows, like... well, like superheroes.

Why glad?

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrat18 said:

That actually never got me, because we didn't have one either...and I still believed in Santa the entire time.

Probably just thought he kicked the door down.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By patrat18

@patrat18 said:

That actually never got me, because we didn't have one either...and I still believed in Santa the entire time.

Probably just thought he kicked the door down.

Not me. When i was 3 i knew Santa was a

Fake.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman said:

Why glad?

Here's why:

1. It's a trust issue. If you bother to lie about a small thing, then kids won't trust you in the future.
  2. Kids should know where their presents come from. It's not some benevolent guy in a suit with endless resources delivering gifts; it's people who have to earn money in order to pay for those gifts. Children should know the value of money and the value of possessions. They're less likely to mistreat what is given to them when they understand the source, and the idea of finite resources.
  3. I'm Christian. It doesn't make sense for a Christian to talk about Santa, which isn't the reason why we celebrate Christmas. Yes, I understand the origins of Christmas and that Dec. 25th wasn't the actual date of Christ's birth, but it's more of a symbolic thing.
russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it won't be the first time I lie at my kids

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'll tell them when I have kids. Santa is fun

Avatar image for khan_noonien_singh
Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will encourage my children to not believe in any superstition.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If I get children I'll teach them I'm santa so they can believe in santa and know you bought the presents

Oh I feel like a mastermind

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@attatje said:

If I get children I'll teach them I'm santa so they can believe in santa and know you bought the presents

Oh I feel like a mastermind

You're a genius

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I don't remember a time when I ever believed in Santa and I grew up fine.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

I never believed in Santa, and my parents never even brought him up, cause they knew I wouldn't believe such nonsense. As for my own children, I'd move into a house with central heating, no chimney, no Santa, I avoid the problem altogether.

Avatar image for khan_noonien_singh
Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never believed in Santa, and my parents never even brought him up, cause they knew I wouldn't believe such nonsense. As for my own children, I'd move into a house with central heating, no chimney, no Santa, I avoid the problem altogether.

Loading Video...

You're going to have to do better than that!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

Loading Video...

You're going to have to do better than that!

Damn him, damn him and his evil holiday magics!!

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

Wait, what?? Santa isn't real??

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hbktimhbk:

I would say that Santa (and the myths of Christmas) was what made Christmas special to me. So...

d~_~b