How Old is Too Old?

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Icon

At what point are we supposed to stop readings comics? And why should we? Frankly, I don't think you're ever too old to enjoy something you like so long as it doesn't harm anyone. Comic books (and animation) do however have the stigma of being something just for kids, even though many if not most comics are geared towards an older audience. 

Do you pay any attention to people who believe that? Does it bother you if people think you're too old to be reading comics? Do you think you will be too old for it one day, and If so, when are you "too old" for comics? I'd like to challenge that sentiment. If only more people understood just how much comics and graphic novels offer people of all ages. There is more to it and more diversity in comics than people who don't read them may realize.
Avatar image for angelique_lebeau
Angelique LeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Angelique LeBeau

I'll be reading comics on the toilet until the day my arthritis kicks in. Then my wife is just gonna have to suck it up and hold em for me.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Never. And we shouldn't. People who think somebody's too old to read comics are usually the people making other stupid generalizations about comics in the first place. 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mercy_
@Angelique LeBeau said:
" I'll be reading comics on the toilet until the day my arthritis kicks in. Then my wife is just gonna have to suck it up and hold em for me. "
Who the heck would be crazy enough to marry you?
Avatar image for angelique_lebeau
Angelique LeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Angelique LeBeau
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Angelique LeBeau said:
" I'll be reading comics on the toilet until the day my arthritis kicks in. Then my wife is just gonna have to suck it up and hold em for me. "
Who the heck would be crazy enough to marry you? "
You'd be surprised. Lots of crazy ladies out there.
rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By rogue_mar1e

never too old ! :)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercy_
@Angelique LeBeau said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @Angelique LeBeau said:
Who the heck would be crazy enough to marry you? "
You'd be surprised. Lots of crazy ladies out there. "
<_< Yeah, I probably shouldn't be talking. 
ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ms__omega

My love of comics and animation will never die

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By sexy_merc

I'm not really interested in comics anymore, but I might pick it up later on the road. I don't think age is ever really a factor, just the person.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

If you are still interested in them then you should read them no matter how old you are. 

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Agent Buttons
@Ms. Omega said:
" My love of comics and animation will never die "
Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Never to old!
 I find that the stigma is slowly disappearing, especially in comics with them being so hip and cool now (well in Canada at least ha ha) With the movies and TV shows more and more people are reading comics these days. i know at least 10 people off the top of my head male and female over 25 who have recently picked up comics, and Have been loving them. All of who have always thought it was something for children before.  Many thought there were not any comics other then superheroes, and it took the recent movies and TV shows to show them no, there is more. I think you are never to old to do what you love...unless you are 97 and trying to snowboard. If people can watch movies, tv, and read books till the day they die, I think its safe to say you can read comics till that day comes as well.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By King_Saturn
1,000,000 years old is too old...
Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

i think the saying is "Haters gonna hate" i try to ignore other peoples opinion.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By iLLituracy

When you're blind and have to have your great grandson read what's going on to you. That's when you're too old. 

Susanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Susanoo

Never unless your over 100
GalactaSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By GalactaSurfer

A year before I die but youll probably have to pry my fav comic from my cold dead hands >8(

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Until the day I die, then bury me in a longbox

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By LightBright

Well...death kinda limits your reading abilities... >_>

Sherlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sherlock

Iv been too old for comics for years iv also been too old for laughing when people get hurt practical joking and telling people their face is stupid adn i havnt given those up yet either

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21  Edited By SC  Moderator

Man, the coolest and friendliest old people I know, are the ones that still do the things they done as kids. You know how there are like two types of old people? The type that look at you with bitter and sour eyes, and mumble at you, and then hit you with their umbrella's? Then the type that smile at you, and walk down the main street with a bit of a strut, and are smiling ear to ear? If I live that long, I want to be the latter type of old person, and I am pretty sure I will only be that kind of old person, if i keep reading comics.  

I know 60 year old guys who play Playstation and X-Box more than I do lol, and they got Fighting Sticks, and Gun controllers. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of senior citizens dropping green to buy some comics either.  

A better question might be, When Is It Too Old to get into Arguments in VS/Battle threads. Read comics till you die, cosplay till you die, and post until die. Calling people fanboi's and multi quoting 20 or more posts and throwing up 50 scans when your 90 though... health concern. Maybe ease up, just a lil. Maybe? I don't know...

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Precise

I'll be reading them with my kids one day, then with my grand kids :p

gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gunjin

socially id say... 

1-10 - aww factor is in play  
11-13 - expected  
14-18 - might get made fun of  
19-25 - probably made fun of  
26-30 - stuck in their ways 
31-50 - doin it for the kids 
51+ - cool grandpa 

but what everyone said before is true. be you gangsta. above are just ages other people who don't understand might say.    

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Edamame said:
" @SC said:
  I know 60 year old guys who play Playstation and X-Box more than I do lol,
LOL Really? "

Yep, for real. It probably has more to do with the fact I don't play games that much anymore, but yeah, lol I have been to some of my uncles friends houses and some of them are still hardcore videogame players. They just never stopped playing. I suspect more old people play Wii as well these days. 
gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gunjin
@SC said:
" Man, the coolest and friendliest old people I know, are the ones that still do the things they done as kids. You know how there are like two types of old people? The type that look at you with bitter and sour eyes, and mumble at you, and then hit you with their umbrella's? Then the type that smile at you, and walk down the main street with a bit of a strut, and are smiling ear to ear? If I live that long, I want to be the latter type of old person, and I am pretty sure I will only be that kind of old person, if i keep reading comics.   I know 60 year old guys who play Playstation and X-Box more than I do lol, and they got Fighting Sticks, and Gun controllers. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of senior citizens dropping green to buy some comics either.   A better question might be, When Is It Too Old to get into Arguments in VS/Battle threads. Read comics till you die, cosplay till you die, and post until die. Calling people fanboi's and multi quoting 20 or more posts and throwing up 50 scans when your 90 though... health concern. Maybe ease up, just a lil. Maybe? I don't know... "
cosplay till you die? haha it made me imagine something horrible. alzheimers and incontinence inside of a emma frost costume.
Darkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Darkerman

Really don't know due to the fact that in my neighborhood 70 year old men read Ultimate Spider-Man.. or other ultimates.

Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

You're never too old to have an appreciation for art and literature.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

You're never too old!
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Magian
@Jake Fury said:
" You're never too old! "
This.
Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vitality

Well...I'm 24 and I feel like I'm too old to be liking all this comic stuff.  
However, I don't see me stopping anytime soon.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Billy Batson
@Icon said:
I don't think you're ever too old to enjoy something you like so long as it doesn't harm anyone.
@LightBright: Not if you come back as a black lantern.
AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AskaniSon295

your too old to be reading comics when you become bitter and cynical about every plot, costume & character change if you maintain the wonder of a child's mind as you read the comics and continue to be amazed about the different events happening than you should read comics till your on your death bed. If you get old and bitter at ageless Superman and Playboy Ironman than it's probably time to stop. I guess my pint is as long as you enjoy the comics your reading you should read them when the enjoyment stops you should stop reading. Un-finished collections are a badge of choice finished ones are a badge of enjoyment. Choose to Enjoy comics not Collect them.

Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Darkseid Elite

I'll be a old dusty man and still reading comics. Wake up, get my early bird special, read my comics, change my diaper, go sit in my rocking chair and fall asleep.
Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hawk

30 here. 

I think the mentality of comics has changed. It is no longer considered kids stuff......the same could be said about baseball cards. I think comics are considered more of a hobby now. Though my wife thinks I'm a dork.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

@Darkseid Elite said:
"I'll be a old dusty man and still reading comics. Wake up, get my early bird special, read my comics, change my diaper, go sit in my rocking chair and fall asleep. "

^ This ^
Only reason to stop reading comics, in my opinion, is when you no longer enjoy them and they become a waste of money.
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PowerHerc

I don't think anyone is ever to old for comics.   

Most people I know (co-workers, casual friends) and all my friends are aware that I still read and collect comics.  What do they think about it?  Most don't seem to have an opinion, but anytime a question regarding comics or superheroes comes up (including movies): they ask me.
Jane McClane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jane McClane
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" Until the day I die, then bury me in a longbox "
....win
Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Larkin1388

You're never too old to read comics. 

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#41  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Same with cartoons or video games, you're never too old, comics are like any other form of book, there's not a set age to stop, reading is reading, there's isn't an age limit, it's simple up to the person to decide.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By TheGoldenOne

Never too old to do what you love

gonephishin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By gonephishin
@Icon:
You can never be too old to read comics. When argued that the reading is more elementary because of  pictures, I argue that pictures, which the first humans practiced "reading" is the reason we developed reading today. The people who grew up with some of the very first comic books as kids were, in my opinnion raised to think that you had to put away your childish belongings when it was your time to grow up. It was just fantasy, the characters they loved weren't real; so it was a waste of time to keep thinking about the unreal. My father who is 60 went through that as a child, and doesn't understand why I am so into comics and fictional characters. It was a suprise to go through some of his old belongings to find not only did he keep a few comic books from when he was a kid, but in 1992 he bought four issues of the death of Superman. I asked him about it, and he told me more or less that he was upset to hear his hero was dead, and he wished he kept up with what he read when he was young. Saying that it was the only real hope for the times, without an icon real or not, there isn't a hope that inspires kids to be like the good guys instead of the bad. I was more than impressed after what he said, since I thought he was opposed to people that continue reading legendary tales of good vs. evil. I can't imagine not keeping up with the good guys that have proved that time will not stop them from doing good in a bad world; or the bad guys that give them purpose.  NEVER give up reading NEVER give up hope.
spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By spidey 15
@TheGoldenOne said:
" Never too old to do what you love "
This, i like that. 
=]
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@spidey 15 said:
" @TheGoldenOne said:
" Never too old to do what you love "
This, i like that. =] "
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By InnerVenom123

I'll be reading them on my deathbed, thank you very much.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Icon
@gonephishin said:
" @Icon: You can never be too old to read comics. When argued that the reading is more elementary because of  pictures, I argue that pictures, which the first humans practiced "reading" is the reason we developed reading today. The people who grew up with some of the very first comic books as kids were, in my opinnion raised to think that you had to put away your childish belongings when it was your time to grow up. It was just fantasy, the characters they loved weren't real; so it was a waste of time to keep thinking about the unreal. My father who is 60 went through that as a child, and doesn't understand why I am so into comics and fictional characters. It was a suprise to go through some of his old belongings to find not only did he keep a few comic books from when he was a kid, but in 1992 he bought four issues of the death of Superman. I asked him about it, and he told me more or less that he was upset to hear his hero was dead, and he wished he kept up with what he read when he was young. Saying that it was the only real hope for the times, without an icon real or not, there isn't a hope that inspires kids to be like the good guys instead of the bad. I was more than impressed after what he said, since I thought he was opposed to people that continue reading legendary tales of good vs. evil. I can't imagine not keeping up with the good guys that have proved that time will not stop them from doing good in a bad world; or the bad guys that give them purpose.  NEVER give up reading NEVER give up hope. "
I couldn't agree more.
Pr_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pr_Beyonder
@King Saturn said:
"1,000,000 years old is too old... "

Ahem......you should consider that certain beings older than creation would be offended by such a statement.
Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Just do what you want and screw everyone else. The day you get sick of comics is the day you should stop reading them.