How much truth can you handle?

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By OracleX

On Facebook a group was started by my classmates to discuss the goofy things that are unique to our school. Some one wrote that they were glad there was a fence to keep the crazies from the neighboring Psych Center from getting out. Being the annoying fact stickler I am, I pointed out that the building with a fence around it has been closed for thirty years and that patients from the used buildings wander over all of the time. This royally freaked my fellow students out.

I don't think people want to know the truth as badly as they think. As a student reporter, I envy dentists because I think pulling teeth is easier than asking people how they really feel about a situation if they are worried about their jobs.

Bosses don't usually get to where there are without upsetting a few people and you can't listen to these people.

Politics and religion are basically the same concept. We put them on pedestals and hope they live up to our expectations. The constitution and the ten commandments were created to guide our lives. People don't want to believe that saints and politicians were not perfect. If you watch the news, you know that it is all about who can sell their version of the truth.

I was working at the library the other day when I saw a few people come from a group home come in and one of them was wearing a helmet. I got the strong urge to smack every person who wrote something about fearing for their lives from people who pose more of a threat to them selves than anyone else. I kind of wish I hadn't written anything because I think people are better off pretending that a fence was keeping in a complicated concept safe.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By Rudyftw

Helmets are pretty cool.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#2  Edited By Deadcool

I am always looking for answers, I am always wondering about stuff, all arrould me, I know a couple of things, and I think that I can stand a lot of things...
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

yeah that fence didn't keep me in at all

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

HELMETS! HELMETS!! 

Sissel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sissel

Somehow you lost me at the middle of your story. And in my opinion, saints are not perfect, but they have a trait that makes them a saint, like being hospitable to strangers/criminals/who ever they meet. And who say people think politicians are perfect? They aren't at all.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By EdwardWindsor

i want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@lazystudent said:
i want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Samimista

Even if the truth may hurt I would like to know it all.

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OracleX

My mother grew up when Kennedy was alive and she idolized him and only later in life did she find out that the guy was a "skirt chaser" to put it mildly. There are murals in the capital building, with references to God. While The Founding Fathers knew their system was flawed, they connected it to a higher power in hopes that their system would last. We as a people want the person we elect to be as good as possible because the decisions they make affect millions of lives.

You have a good point about the fact that saints have flaws. But kids are taught to believe how good the saints so they can be considered roll models to grow up with. We learn about their flaws as part growing up and understanding that people don't have to be perfect. Then there is thing related the Da Vinci Code that upset people so much about the idea of Jesus having offspring

The truth is not nearly as black and white as we would like to think. God, I can write about this subject for hours.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Truth is all well and good just make sure curiosity doesn't kill the cat. 

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Loki9876
@lazystudent: you wan't truth! You can't handle the truth!
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By CATPANEXE

I can't say I feel in many cases it's that people do not want to believe, it's more that they have been misled.
Most people are what they know, and what they know is what they have been told. As far as they may be concerned,
questioning that may seem a moot point.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@Loki9876:  you know nothing of the truth or how much it i can handle Loki prince of lies.
The Recon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The Recon
@Loki9876 said:
@lazystudent: you wan't truth! You can't handle the truth!
Took my line!!! God damnit!!
OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OracleX

I got bored tonight and wrote this up for the school paper:

The truth is not nearly as black and white as the paper it is printed. From my experience, college education involves learning how facts can be re-interpreted. Every history teacher presents the facts in a way that fits his understanding of the causes of the Civil War. Remember that three-page essay you did on the themes of “Frankenstein’s Monster?” An English teacher will tell you that there is no monster, just a monster persona. In an art class, you might encounter how phallic symbolism can be found all around us.

Learning the truth is a dangerous thing. If you idolize your boss and later discover that he or she hurt a lot of people to get to the top, it will change your relationship. For the good or the bad is completely up to you. Dan Brown, author of the “Da Vinci Code,” makes millions from “revealing” the truth in his history-thriller novels. Though his book is fiction, the plausability of Jesus having a kid shook up the faith of a lot of people.

This is going to sound shocking coming from journalism major, but I’m not sure if Watergate should have been exposed. In the short term, revealing the fact that our president was involved in the cover-up of wire-tapping sounds like the right thing to do. But the other thing to think about though is that the more history you read, the more you learn that many other presidents did horrible things. Because of this poster-Watergate media environment, the fact that some congressman sent a lewd photo out became head-line news for weeks on end.

Do you really want to know how sausage is made? How food is made doesn’t bother me, but I don’t like to think about how Food and Drug Administration allows for a less than a billionth of rat excrement to be found on our food. I am sorry if I ruined the lunch of those who reading this while eating as the truth can be nauseating at times. It can also be annoying, such how it was announced from an indirect source on “Glee” that the character Kurt might be leaving and the actor didn’t know it until he found out from the media. An “Entertainment Weekly” article titled “An Open Letter to Glee,” about less news leaks summed up in“Listen, folks, we love your show, and we just want you to regroup, keep your sausage-making to yourselves for a bit,”

The only thing that might sound more disgusting is “airing out dirty laundry.” It is human nature for people to screw up and sometimes the whole world doesn’t need to know about it. The newspaper you are looking at might have been made as the result of some arguments, frustration and the sacrificing of a freshman at midnight during lay-out night. The purpose of a newspaper is to inform readers about everything happening outside the office, which is so much more interesting and editors struggle to find the stories that are missed.

The truth is extremely open to interpretation. I have learned that the best thing to do is accept people for who they are then decide how their take on reality affects you. Oh and I really don’t know what happens during layout-night at “The Record” as I have never been there at that time. I think it might be a junior.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17  Edited By SC  Moderator

I like the truth. I can handle it all, but I am a bit of a hypocrite. The other thing that acts as a counter balance for the truth for me is the people I care about. Of course caring about some people is sort of basically caring about myself. I care about my kid sister because she is my kid sister. I care about your (no one in particular) kid sister too, and you as well for that fact, but in the case of you and your kid sister, well I mean, thats more abstract. I care about my kid sister in another more clear and specific way. I am a bit weary of exposing the truth to her, because I would rather her be happy than sad and sometimes, I think, the truth makes me sad, but thats okay, because I gain greater long term satisfaction from the truth. At least I think I do, I am not sure to be ironically honest. Sometimes, I think maybe actually, I would rather be ignorant. Except most of all, I'd rather have the choice to be, something I don't really have unless I was exposed to the truth. Of course there are ways to be exposed to the truth and also really happy, and so I consider that the ideal but that... that seems like hard work. Totally worth it, but because I don't just want my kid sister to be happy, I want her to be smart, intelligent and ethically aware and conscious, and also be aware she is happy, well keeping her ignorant and lacking in choice is probably not the best way to go about helping her get there ~ so when do I tell her Santa is neither real or false but a conceptual manifestation of society with multiple designated purposes and she should not listen to people trying to tell her what the answers are even me, because the answers are more fun when you figure them out yourself? I was thinking... 9? 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By PowerHerc

I get what you're saying.

I'd like to think I'm open minded enough to be able to handle any truth, but that's a tall order for any flawed, by defintion, human being.

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By thehummingbird

I love the truth, but I hate it in so many ways, or more so I hate reality I think Lady Gaga sums it up pretty well for me . Or maybe I hate how limiting the truth really is? I feel as if the truth or what we define as truth is a very limiting thing? Not to mention by the way our truth as humans work is so abnormally subjective, even in comparison to the normal high levels of subjectivity of our definition? Asking someone how much truth can they handle is really an impossible question and all of answers can be measured and are measure and weighed in different ways. Many things that some people consider truth are merely possibilities to others. I believe it is in Alice in Wonderland at some point Alice makes the queen believe as if the truth were not real and that she had merely forgotten what had really happened, the queen rather than face humiliation of potentially having forgot something agreed with Alice. Now here is a truth being rewritten yes a fact being defined by opinion? That is the truth yes a fact? but when facts are so easily warped to fit our best interest or what we believe out best interest is anything really fact or truth? I believe it more to be an obscure concept that we can support, but never prove yes? In science we can never say we have proven anything, merely that we found evidence that supports a certain fact. Making it have a higher probability. This just like in more common or per say real life circumstances is as close as we can come to the truth therefore making the truth not really exist which in itself is not truth. The truth is merely a paradox that we try to force into a fact that will never be. Merely making all I have just typed more of an obsolete and twisted concept and nothing less, because of the irony of the situation. 

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By longbowhunter

I believe in the truth, no matter how painful. If I didnt I'd still be married and taking care of two kids who werent my responsiblity.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21  Edited By SC  Moderator
@thehummingbird said:
I love the truth, but I hate it in so many ways, or more so I hate reality I think Lady Gaga sums it up pretty well for me . Or maybe I hate how limiting the truth really is? I feel as if the truth or what we define as truth is a very limiting thing? Not to mention by the way our truth as humans work is so abnormally subjective, even in comparison to the normal high levels of subjectivity of our definition? Asking someone how much truth can they handle is really an impossible question and all of answers can be measured and are measure and weighed in different ways. Many things that some people consider truth are merely possibilities to others. I believe it is in Alice in Wonderland at some point Alice makes the queen believe as if the truth were not real and that she had merely forgotten what had really happened, the queen rather than face humiliation of potentially having forgot something agreed with Alice. Now here is a truth being rewritten yes a fact being defined by opinion? That is the truth yes a fact? but when facts are so easily warped to fit our best interest or what we believe out best interest is anything really fact or truth? I believe it more to be an obscure concept that we can support, but never prove yes? In science we can never say we have proven anything, merely that we found evidence that supports a certain fact. Making it have a higher probability. This just like in more common or per say real life circumstances is as close as we can come to the truth therefore making the truth not really exist which in itself is not truth. The truth is merely a paradox that we try to force into a fact that will never be. Merely making all I have just typed more of an obsolete and twisted concept and nothing less, because of the irony of the situation. 

Thats a really, really nice post THB! 
RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By RainEffect
@InnerVenom123 said:
HELMETS! HELMETS!! 
LOL?
InnerVenom123