How many times do you pray in a day?

• 185 results
Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I pray to our Lord and Savior Wenjun_Chew and the Bat-God every single day. May thy Chew-Force be with you all.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

@albusan said:

@erik: Maybe they just don't want to be seen with you, when you have your Harry Potter costume on in public.

Excuse me!? The gurls be all up in my robes when I got me my lightnin bolt on ma hed!

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

@batwatch: the purpose of that was to bring up a verse specifically regarding interpretation. I am not saying anything, I don't really have to, I'm just linking verses within your own bible that say everything. Though I will point out the irony of interpreting a passage that says not to interpret the bible.

The truth is, I am not religious, but I do like conversation, which is what I am discussing. When you say God loves me, I disagree with that statement because I am under the impression that he probably doesn't exist, I am not disregarding your explanations, I am just wondering why you chose a certain message in the bible to take literally, but then take another and determine it as figurative. You say you have explained why in a previous long post, but you only did so by interpreting the passages when the question was, why do you interpret the passages as so. For example, you justify the interpretations you are making, without explaining the motive behind this interpretations. A hard core fundamentalist christian who pickets funerals and such could easily use the verses I have linked to interpret the bible as God hating all sinners, and providing his wrath on such. The fact is, the interpretation cannot be defined as true or right, it is led only by the bias of the interpreter.

Basically, you are saying you've found nothing wrong with my interpretation of scriptures, but you think that the Bible tells people not to interpret it. Well, I don't see any prohibition on interpretation in the scripture you mentioned at all.

"And so we have the prophetic word confirmed,[a] which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,[b]21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God[c] spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

First up, there's no command here whatsoever. There is nothing remotely close to, "Thou shalt not interpret." Rather, the scripture says that we should know the scripture isn't of a private interpretation. He didn't say it can't or shouldn't be interpreted, but that it is not of private interpretation, so what does that mean?

If Peter were meaning to suggest that people shouldn't interpret scripture, (which this passage doesn't indicate) he would probably not have just finished interpreting scripture. Notice, he's just said, that a Biblical prophecy was confirmed in Jesus. To recognize this is in and of itself an act of interpretation. To believe this scripture is teaching interpretation is wrong would not only be a contradiction between the many passages of the Bible which teach that people should try to better their understanding of the scriptures but a contradiction in this very passage of itself. On the surface, the idea that this verse is anti-interpretation should be dismissed on this point alone since it's obviously not the intent of Peter to discourage interpreation..

The key here is the private angle. Peter is simply saying that scriptures are not defined by how you personally decide to interpret them or a "private interpretation." The scriptures have meaning independent of anybody's opinion of them because it was inspired by God and he dictates their meaning.

For comparison, I would say that the Constitution is not of any private interpretation for it was written long ago by wise men who gave the text specific meaning. By this statement, I mean not that it is bad to try to study and interpret the Constitution correctly, but that you can't read, for example, the Fourth Amendment, say, "I think that means we can't unlawfully search and seize things...unless it's really important and we need it to stop terrorism," and think that your private interpretation is the definitive answer. You might have your an interpretation, but the Constitution is not a matter of private interpretation. It has it's own distinct meaning separate and apart from how others choose to twist it, and it is the intent of the writers that matter not your opinion of what they wrote..

The same is true of scriptures, or at least that's my interpretation.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

zilch bc not religious

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@batwatch: "Basically, you are saying you've found nothing wrong with my interpretation of scriptures, but you think that the Bible tells people not to interpret it. Well, I don't see any prohibition on interpretation in the scripture you mentioned at all."

Not what I was getting at, I find it VERY wrong, the reason why is because both interpretations are contrasting each other, and both interpretations are taking one verse as literal and the other verse as not. That is inherently dishonest.

Also you basically some up your whole reply with "that is just my interpretation", see why it is so dishonest? You compare the constitution which is not claiming to be divinely inspired to be similar to that of the bible. The problem is, when interpreting the literal truth of Genesis is no where near being similar to interpreting law.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#156  Edited By nefarious

Jimmies are rustled. Shame.

DARK_HAMMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not often. But when I do pray. I pray big.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme:

No, taking some statements as literal and some statements as figurative is something you do every day, assuming you are not Drax the Destroyer. There is nothing dishonest about it. I gave you carefully thought out reasons for why I interpreted the scriptures a certain way, but if you don't want to consider them, that's fine. If you take the passages of hate as hyperbole, there is no conflict whatsoever.

No, I don't see why saying, "This is my interpretation," is dishonest. It's another way of saying, "This is how I understand it." What's dishonest about having an understanding of something?

The comparison involving the Constitution and the Bible was not to demonstrate that the two documents were fundamentally similar but to demonstrate the meaning of the phrase "no private interpretation." If you would like me to clarify that point, I can.

Anyway, I want you to know that I appreciate you challenging me on these issues, and I still love you and believe God loves you.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@batwatch: the reason why it is dishonest is that it is your interpretation that you take as truth. I don't do that, I do not read two contradicting statements and determine which one is literal and which is figurative based on nothing but my own bias. You basically are taking one as literal because it sounds better, there is no actual reason you can give me.

I'm glad you "love" me, I am assuming you are using this in a non romantic way, in that case, I love humanity as well. I love people in general, however, I am skeptical of your belief in saying God loves me. The reason is if the Christian God does exist, there are multiple verses in the bible that specifically say he doesn't, and one verse that says he loves the world. It doesn't however say he loves each individual sinner, or he wouldn't have flooded the earth.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme:

Again, you do read and hear statements full of hyperbole all the time and assign meaning based not on bias but on experience and context. Have you ever heard someone say, "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse?" Did you actually think they wanted to eat an entire horse? Ever hear someone get upset with a loved one and say, "I hate him!" even though you knew they didn't mean it. Congratulations! You have done the exact thing you claim you never do.

Also, there is, according to the article I read, a lack of moderate words in ancient Semetic cultures, so there very well might have been some nuance which the language of the time could not contain.

Also, I don't think my interpretation is truth. It's just my best understanding. Maybe in the future I'll discover you were right and God does hate non-believers or doesn't exist at all, but that's not my understanding at the moment.

It seems to me the overall message of the Bible is one of love for mankind. You are wrong in saying there is only one verse that says God loves all people, but since it seemed to me that this discussion has not really been about what the Bible says but about why you dislike Christianity, I didn't figure you'd be interested in hearing them.

Of course, my love is not romantic. How creepy would that be? It's just a general good will for mankind. I want you to know I don't consider you my enemy for challenging my beliefs and wish you no ill will, but rather, I appreciate it.

We can go into detail discussing the flood if you would like, but I'm guessing you aren't interested.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

God this thread turned into a sh!t hole. People should know better than to put any sort of religion on this vile place known as comic vine

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch: saying that God specifically hates sinners cannot be a hyperbole, it isn't over exaggerating anything, it is a statement trying to indentify fact.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme:

(Shrugs) Beleieve that if you will. I already answered your points in 160.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Batman is god,so i pray every time i read a comicbook with him in it.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch:

hy·per·bo·le

hīˈpərbəlē/

noun

exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

.... The problem that you have no addressed is that there is no way you can determine what is or isn't suppose to be literal, a hardcore grave picketing Christian can use the verses I linked to say God hates sinners.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two.

I feel it's also worth mentioning that I am not a Christian - I am Buddhist.

ImmovableRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Praying is pointless. I mean, you do realize that there have been actual studies on this kind of thing? Guess what? They all show the same thing. Prayer doesn't work.

But hey, it's a free country so do what you want lol. I'm just sayin'.

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pray on average 5 times a day to our lord and saviour Nicolas Cage.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme:

I did address that actually. I said when people identify hyperbole, they use experience and context. My experience with God has been that he is a loving God, the context of the Bible as a whole points towards a message of love, and the linguistic contex of the day in which Old Testament books were recorded seems to exclude statements of moderation in approval and disapproval.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith:

That's interesting. I've never talked much to a Budahist. What brought you to Budahism?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@batwatch: My interest in it really started after my mom started reading about it in 2006 (shortly after her mother died). I started really looking into it after I visited the Providence Zen Center for the first time last year.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I rarely pray but when i do its for stupid reasons.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I pray to BASED GOD anytime I'm feeling down or in a tight situation.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith:

You up for a deeper discussion? I'm not interested in trying to shake your beliefs or anything. I'm just curious. If so...

What intrigued you about Buddahism?

How would you describe your beliefs?

How does if affect your everyday life?

How has it bettered your life?

Avatar image for deactivated-652b01b81dedd
deactivated-652b01b81dedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't pray nearly enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@batwatch said:

@xwraith:

You up for a deeper discussion? I'm not interested in trying to shake your beliefs or anything. I'm just curious. If so...

What intrigued you about Buddahism?

How would you describe your beliefs?

How does if affect your everyday life?

How has it bettered your life?

It's hard to say exactly what, but seeing how different it is from other religions was a factor.

In Buddhism, we have "higher beings", as they are called, but there are no true gods.

In my everyday life, it encourages me to be kind and helpful to as many people as I can.

Same as above, I feel like it's made me a kinder and more caring person.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pray to our Lord and Savior Wenjun_Chew and the Bat-God every single day. May thy Chew-Force be with you all.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

As a christian I should be exclaiming blasphemy, but as someone with a sense of humour, this is hilarious.

In response to the OP about 4-6 times a Day as I pray before I go to sleep and when I wake up but I go to a religious school so we pray before most lessons

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith:

Interesting.

Budahism believes in reincarnation, right? I've heard of people who believe they recall their past lives. Any experience with that?

Is there any version of church for Budahists? If so, what is it like? Do you ever discuss your faith with other Buddahists?

I've noticed a few people who have Budda statues and leave him offerings. Why is that?

Do Budahists have a theory on how the world began or how it will end?

Do Budahists have scriptures?

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch: that isn't addressing it, if that was the case, then every Christian would identify it as a hyperbole.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme:

So since not everyone on the planet understands a statement the exact same way, that makes every understanding of the statement wrong? That's an intersting perspective but not one that I personally hold.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch said:

@xwraith:

Interesting.

Budahism believes in reincarnation, right? I've heard of people who believe they recall their past lives. Any experience with that?

Is there any version of church for Budahists? If so, what is it like? Do you ever discuss your faith with other Buddahists?

I've noticed a few people who have Budda statues and leave him offerings. Why is that?

Do Budahists have a theory on how the world began or how it will end?

Do Budahists have scriptures?

I can't really think of any times I have.

There are Buddhist temples, but it's not like a Christian church where you go every Sunday.

I've never actually seen that, so I can't answer.

Not really. There is no creator deity in Buddhism, and the Buddha taught that the answers to questions like that are things you have to find out for yourself.

Not really.

If you want some more serious answers, I'd recommend reading some books by Thich Nhat Hanh.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith:

I'll try to remember the name of the book in case in want to dive deep into it in the future.

How are your temples different than church?

You say you pray several times a day, but you don't believe in God, so what does prayer mean to you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch: Thich Nhat Hanh is actually a writer - he's written several books over the years.

Buddhist temples differ from church in that it is not about the worship of a deity,

Prayer may not exactly be the best word for it, but I do have something I recite every day. It's about wishing a good life for all beings.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pray as much as I can but primarily the set times would be before when I`m about to eat or before when I`m about to go to sleep.