How many grenades can you avoid?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You are trapped in a basketball stadium, 2 men near the ceiling have a box of 25 hand grenades and one by one they are dropping them in your direction. You have 5 seconds till the grenades explode. You have a shield and a helmet that should protect you from one slight distance explosion, how many can you avoid?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

One and a half

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By HumanRocket

I'll still catch a grenade for ya, throw my hand in a blade for ya.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Depends on how well they can aim?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By russellmania77
Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Emperorb777

I dodge them all with absolute ease.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogueshadow  Moderator

I'll just tank them, because I have black man blood in me.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I bloodlusted?

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: You don't need to be. To us Chicagoans dodging a grenade is preschool. We're practicing dodging nukes at this stage.

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a grenade.

*throws wrench at you*

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Probably none.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless they cook the grenades, I can probably avoid all 25 depending on the blast radius (which to my knowledge isn't that big).

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since the grenades explode in 5 seconds, just stand on the other end of the court and run away as soon as one is thrown at you. I think anyone could survive all 25 with a little stamina....

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

5 seconds? Ill grab the first and throw it back up, killing my attackers.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A grenade only has a kill radius of 5 meters. However its casualty producing blast radius is about 15 meters . Now you probably won't get killed from that distance but It is going to mess you up a bit. Shrapnel from a blast can go as far as 250 meters so even if you are not standing within the blast radius you still might be hit by shrapnel. A standard basketball court is only 94 feet long which translates to about 28 meters. That means you are going to be pretty close to the blast radius for for the first one when it hits. So even if you don't get injured you are still going to be disoriented from the shock wave and the sound and explosion. You probably won't be able to dodge the second one and if you can then not the third one.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By legacy6364
No Caption Provided

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh for a second, I thought it said "baseball stadium".

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends

shield and helmet ain't gonna do anything but slow you down i rather take em off then run to survived

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By buttersdaman000

@bgibs13390 said:

A grenade only has a kill radius of 5 meters. However its casualty producing blast radius is about 15 meters . Now you probably won't get killed from that distance but It is going to mess you up a bit. Shrapnel from a blast can go as far as 250 meters so even if you are not standing within the blast radius you still might be hit by shrapnel. A standard basketball court is only 94 feet long which translates to about 28 meters. That means you are going to be pretty close to the blast radius for for the first one when it hits. So even if you don't get injured you are still going to be disoriented from the shock wave and the sound and explosion. You probably won't be able to dodge the second one and if you can then not the third one.

The average basketball court has a 20-25 foot ceiling. If the grenade were free-falling, the ceiling would need to be roughly 123 meters high to explode in our faces given the distance a free-falling object travels in any given time. Since the ceiling is only about 1/15 of that height we'll have roughly 5 seconds to move and react once the grenade reaches the floor. If it is thrown then we have even more time. So, in either scenario, we have ample time to toss the grenade across the 94 ft long court, toss it back up, or run to a safe distance (if you start running as it's dropped). The shrapnel shouldn't really matter since not a lot can go flying on the court.

Edit: I used the wrong equation but the outcome is still the same.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bgibs13390

@buttersdaman000: My point isn't that you won't have time to get away. The point is that the space is so small that the blast is going to hurt you no matter where you stand on the court. The first one might just stun you but the second and third are going to start blowing out your ear drums and giving you blast damage.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: My point isn't that you won't have time to get away. The point is that the space is so small that the blast is going to hurt you no matter where you stand on the court. The first one might just stun you but the second and third are going to start blowing out your ear drums and giving you blast damage.

But you said the blast radius is only 15 meters? Does the 250 meter radius apply for stun damage too?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd just find a way out of the stadium

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bgibs13390

@buttersdaman000: It shouldn't stun you at that range but it will disorient you. Plus a basketball court is only 28 feet long so it doesnt matter.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I act like the Demoman in TF2 and I use the Shield to block a grenade blast as I jump over it, using the blast to propel me to my attackers who run in fear after witnessing my act of awesome.

Or I die horribly.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

riot shields aren't exactly light....its tiring running with one....i figure 10...no 1... none...who knows

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I act like the Demoman in TF2 and I use the Shield to block a grenade blast as I jump over it, using the blast to propel me to my attacks who run in fear after witnessing my act of awesome.

Or I die horribly.

Don't forget your Gunboats. Wait those are only for soldiers.... Yeah you die horribly.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen said:

I act like the Demoman in TF2 and I use the Shield to block a grenade blast as I jump over it, using the blast to propel me to my attacks who run in fear after witnessing my act of awesome.

Or I die horribly.

Don't forget your Gunboats. Wait those are only for soldiers.... Yeah you die horribly.

No Caption Provided

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Deathstroker
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: It shouldn't stun you at that range but it will disorient you. Plus a basketball court is only 28 feet long so it doesnt matter.

A basketball court is 28 meters/94 feet long.

The effective casualty range is 15 meters/45 foot radius.

You're probably right about the disorientation though. Apparently a grenade is the loudest at its center coming in at about 190 dB. The pain threshold for sound is 140dB, disorientation begins at 141 dB, and the body experiences painful vibrations at 152 dB. So just the sound at it's center would be able to KO someone. But, you obviously wouldn't experience that sound, at least for long, since the explosion would kill you. As you travel further away from the sound, the intensity lessens. It's been a while since i've had physics, but theres something about the sound level dropping 10-20 dB every successive doubling of the distance. I just forget how to do it. So, i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I start doing cool moves like elementary dodge ball then I realized that they explode and how screwed I am.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bgibs13390 said:

You're probably right about the disorientation though. Apparently a grenade is the loudest at its center coming in at about 190 dB. The pain threshold for sound is 140dB, disorientation begins at 141 dB, and the body experiences painful vibrations at 152 dB. So just the sound at it's center would be able to KO someone. But, you obviously wouldn't experience that sound, at least for long, since the explosion would kill you. As you travel further away from the sound, the intensity lessens. It's been a while since i've had physics, but theres something about the sound level dropping 10-20 dB every successive doubling of the distance. I just forget how to do it. So, i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I've been behind a concrete wall, with ear plugs in & hearing protection over the top of them, with a grenade going off on the other side around 5m away. The noise is still uncomfortably loud, and the blast way is still felt even with the wall to dissipate it.

Even if it was an outdoor court, and all the shrapnel misses you, you aren't going to be feeling well enough to dodge the next one. If its an indoor court, it's all over.

The blast wave is the thing most movies/fiction skim over.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

@bgibs13390 said:

I've been behind a concrete wall, with ear plugs in & hearing protection over the top of them, with a grenade going off on the other side around 5m away. The noise is still uncomfortably loud, and the blast way is still felt even with the wall to dissipate it.

Even if it was an outdoor court, and all the shrapnel misses you, you aren't going to be feeling well enough to dodge the next one. If its an indoor court, it's all over.

The blast wave is the thing most movies/fiction skim over.

Well, the kill radius is 5 m so it makes since that you still felt the affects from that range even behind a concrete wall.

But yeah, the noise is the real game changer here. (I assume that's what you meant by blast wave?)

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a grenade.

*throws wrench at you*

The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since it isn't specified, I'm gonna assume a blonde chick is throwing it, and I'd just have to pull the ion and throw it back. :P

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#37 god_spawn  Moderator

I'll take one for the team.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: The blast wave is a wave of concussion force that you feel when something explodes. With a grenade even behind a wall or far away it feels like someone pushing you or hitting you a bit. The closer you get the harder that force. At 5 meters that force will kill you. At 15 meters that force will rupture your ear drums and cause your internal organs to rupture. Then there is the shrapnel which can fly out from the blast radius up to 250 meters. Coming from someone who has actually thrown a live grenade and been around them when they explode I wouldn't want to be in this situation. When we threw them we hid behind concrete wall after throwing them and I chucked mine as far as I could (maybe 75-100 feet if I had to guess) and the blast wave pushed me off the wall I was bracing on. I was wearing ear protection and my ears were still ringing.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

For reference here is a grenade being thrown into a reenforced bunker.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

We all die horribly.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artyom: did i also forget there are robot ninjas?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bruxae said:

I am not surprised you figured it out, haha.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rouflex

I'll die horribly (somehow).

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

SolarPowered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SolarPowered

@bruxae said:

That moment when it barely misses your hand as you attempt to grab it...

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of them.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of them

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of them

Unless i throw them and you are a loyalist.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme