#1 Posted by krspaceT (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Its my point of view that Disney is a major influence in children. When they avoid cows and black cauldrons, they do a good job at it.

Disney is also back into the animation business, and has made some attempts at making stories that break new ground. For example, the first black Princess, and having the quote and quote 'bad guy' as the protagonist of a movie (Princess and the Frog, Wreck-IT Ralph).

How long until Disney throws out a LGBT theme?

To me, I see two main problems

1. Disney requires children to be taken to their movies for profit if I am accurate. With how split the issue of LGBT in politics is, and how often books with this topic are attempted to be banned in schools, how much of an audience would it get. Similar to Princess and the Frog, Disney would be put under a lot of pressure to do the characters right, or face a lot of bad press
  2. The story. Disney gets a lot of their stories from old stories and fairy tales. Even Lion King is based on Hamlet. But, what story could they adapt without having a case of backlash from changing a character based on race or creed (Eg Peter Parker to Miles Morales or Alan Scott Pre and Post New52). The most famous one I can think if Carmilla, a vampire tale that pre dated Dracula by 25 years and pretty much created the lesbian vampire genre. Only problem....well aside the fact that I am not sure how well vampires and disney could work together...it would require a bit of Disneyfication to work. I mean, making the story politically correct and happier has been done enough, Tarzan could never have been a disney film had they not removed the whole, dehumanizing blacks, aspect of the tale, and somehow Suicide themes from Notre Dame wouldn't have worked either.

So, too soon or do they need an original tale?

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

They would never. Not in my lifetime, anyway, IMO.

#3 Posted by Pyro_Jack (340 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunely, world(don't feel offended, I'm talking about people in general) is not yet prepared for this.

#4 Posted by Samimista (20182 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though I support the LGBT community I don't think it would happen. At least not anytime soon as homophobes are still out there and probably would cause an uproar over this.

#5 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (3612 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

They would never. Not in my lifetime, anyway, IMO.
#6 Edited by KnightRise (4753 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

not anytime soon as homophobes are still out there and probably would cause an uproar over this.

This.

#7 Posted by Samimista (20182 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@Samimista said:

anytime soon as homophobes are still out there and probably would cause an uproar over this.

This.

You mean not anytime soon? That's what I wrote.

#8 Posted by Inverno (12830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

Even though I support the LGBT community I don't think it would happen. At least not anytime soon as homophobes are still out there and probably would cause an uproar over this.

This.

@Pyro_Jack said:

Unfortunely, world(don't feel offended, I'm talking about people in general) is not yet prepared for this.

And this.

#9 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

As soon as Disney clears himself with his Anti-Semitism. Doinks!

#10 Posted by superstay (9374 posts) - - Show Bio

@krspaceT:

very unlike

After the LGBT thing is accepted by the majority and the majority are ok with their children seeing it then Disney may do it.

I mean not to long age people were fighting to keep gay people from adopting children.

dó¡òb

#11 Posted by The Stegman (20734 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by krspaceT (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay said:

@krspaceT:

very unlike

After the LGBT thing is accepted by the majority and the majority are ok with their children seeing it then Disney may do it.

I mean not to long age people were fighting to keep gay people from adopting children.

dó¡òb

Hey, who'd have thought that we'd have gay marriage around now a days in a growing number of states? And not just New England, but also Iowa (I never understood that)

Any Iowans here?

Our society is progressing in those views faster and faster. How long ago was it that husband and wife couldn't even share beds i TV or depict inter race relations

#13 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio

Mainstream Disney? Not for awhile. Pixar? I don't know. I find that more likely to occur first.

#14 Posted by superstay (9374 posts) - - Show Bio

@krspaceT: Where's New England and do we[U.S.A] own it?

But you're right

@JediXMan: Yeah.....I see Pixar doing it first

d^¡^b

#15 Posted by JediXMan (27925 posts) - - Show Bio

@superstay said:

@krspaceT: Where's New England and do we[U.S.A] own it?

But you're right

Northeast corner of the US. Essentially, the states above New York.

#16 Posted by thespideyguy (2579 posts) - - Show Bio

They will never become the majority.

#17 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by LordBuenoExcellente84 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think such a complex topic is meant to be addressed to young children at all. Besides the fact that I don't agree with the move and don't buy their product. But at the very least, let childhood be enjoyed in basic simplicity.

#19 Posted by krspaceT (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: We are known for our high intelligence and Ivy league schools, also our fishing, clam chowder, skiing and colorful trees. All our brain food consumption shows that we know what is best for the nations. We sparked it after all, recall a certain tea party and a certain revolt in dear old Lexington and Concord?

#20 Posted by superstay (9374 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan:

OK cool

d^¡^b

#21 Posted by krspaceT (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordBuenoExcellente84: So's racism, sexisim and slavery, and look at Disney throw that about in Princess and the Frog (If I recall...) as well as Pocahontas and Hunchback, Mulan and Bugs Life.

#22 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@spetsnaz_gru said:

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

@spetsnaz_gru said:

As soon as Disney clears himself with his Anti-Semitism. Doinks!

He wasn't anti-Semitic. Back then, during his time, most people would make jokes on other racial groups. But that doesn't mean he was a Seth Green/Seth McFarlane inspired closet Nazi.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/blogs/the-cartoon/237-insight-walt-disneys-alleged-racism.html

I was joking.

How was I supposed to know? Everybody and their mom has made it possible to defame him since the moment he died up to now.

#24 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: Doinks at the end was a poor attempt at a slapstick punchline. Guess it didn't work. :D

#25 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney is a liar when it come to it's movies and their source material.

THE BOOKS. DUNUNUN.

1. Hercules: Hercules murders Mag and all their children after being driven mad by Hera.
  2. Tarzan: Jane marries Clayton even thought Tarzan could have legally stopped it. He sacrifices his happiness for her misery.
  3. Hunchback of Notre Dame: Esmeralda (AKA The Gypsy Woman) thinks Quasimodo is hideous and doesn't choose him as her suitor. She chooses Phoebus (AKA The Good Looking Guy) who is stabbed by Frollo (AKA The scary Bell Tower Slave Owner), pins it on Esmeralda and then hangs her in the public square. She is not saved. Quasimodo then kills Frollo and sneaks into Esmeralda's grave where he curls around her body and eventually dies of starvation.
  4. The Jungle Book: After Mogli tries to return to society, they banish him AGAIN and then torture the family that takes him in. In response Mogli gets his elephant friend, Bagheera and a bunch of wolves and raze the freaking village to the ground. Everything is destroyed/all the livestock are murdered.
  5. The Little Mermaid: Ariel bleeds EVERYWHERE when the Sea Witch splits her fins in half and turns the torn shreds into human legs. Prince Eric who finds her and for some reason finds this amusing, orders her to dance for him while grins and bears the excruciating pain. Ariel does NOT end up convincing Prince Eric that she was the one who saved him from drowning and he ends up marrying the other woman. The result of this is death by the Sea Witch who orders Ariel to kill Eric if she wants to live. She threatens to turn her into sea foam. Ariel chooses to believe that the power of love will save her and decides to confess to Prince Eric. The result of this however is Ariel turning into sea foam and since apparently mermaids don't have souls, Ariel has to do 300 years of good deeds in order to earn one, only every time a child cries, she has to do an extra day for each tear drop.
  6. Pinocchio: After Pinocchio is turned into a donkey, he is purchased by a man who wants to kill him. The man dunks the donkey/Pinocchio into the water where he is then devoured by a school of hungry piranha. Gepetto is also forced to live inside of the giant shark that ate him for two years before he is rescued.
  7. The Fox and The Hound: The Hound's owner gasses Todd's (The Fox) mate and her cubs to death. Todd is then chased throughout several pages where he then dies of exhaustion. The Hound and the Hunter then celebrate their kill. A few months later, the hunter is sent to a nursing home, but before he goes he grabs his shotgun and puts Copper (The Hound) out of his misery.

:/

#26 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@spetsnaz_gru said:

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: Doinks at the end was a poor attempt at a slapstick punchline. Guess it didn't work. :D

@FalconPuuunch said:

THE BOOKS. DUNUNUN.

1. Hercules: Hercules murders Mag and all their children after being driven mad by Hera.
  2. Tarzan: Jane marries Clayton even thought Tarzan could have legally stopped it. He sacrifices his happiness for her misery.
  3. Hunchback of Notre Dame: Esmeralda (AKA The Gypsy Woman) thinks Quasimodo is hideous and doesn't choose him as her suitor. She chooses Phoebus (AKA The Good Looking Guy) who is stabbed by Frollo (AKA The scary Bell Tower Slave Owner), pins it on Esmeralda and then hangs her in the public square. She is not saved. Quasimodo then kills Frollo and sneaks into Esmeralda's grave where he curls around her body and eventually dies of starvation.
  4. The Jungle Book: After Mogli tries to return to society, they banish him AGAIN and then torture the family that takes him in. In response Mogli gets his elephant friend, Bagheera and a bunch of wolves and raze the freaking village to the ground. Everything is destroyed/all the livestock are murdered.
  5. The Little Mermaid: Ariel bleeds EVERYWHERE when the Sea Witch splits her fins in half and turns the torn shreds into human legs. Prince Eric who finds her and for some reason finds this amusing, orders her to dance for him while grins and bears the excruciating pain. Ariel does NOT end up convincing Prince Eric that she was the one who saved him from drowning and he ends up marrying the other woman. The result of this is death by the Sea Witch who orders Ariel to kill Eric if she wants to live. She threatens to turn her into sea foam. Ariel chooses to believe that the power of love will save her and decides to confess to Prince Eric. The result of this however is Ariel turning into sea foam and since apparently mermaids don't have souls, Ariel has to do 300 years of good deeds in order to earn one, only every time a child cries, she has to do an extra day for each tear drop.
  6. Pinocchio: After Pinocchio is turned into a donkey, he is purchased by a man who wants to kill him. The man dunks the donkey/Pinocchio into the water where he is then devoured by a school of hungry piranha. Gepetto is also forced to live inside of the giant shark that ate him for two years before he is rescued.
  7. The Fox and The Hound: The Hound's owner gasses Todd's (The Fox) mate and her cubs to death. Todd is then chased throughout several pages where he then dies of exhaustion. The Hound and the Hunter then celebrate their kill. A few months later, the hunter is sent to a nursing home, but before he goes he grabs his shotgun and puts Copper (The Hound) out of his misery.

Am I missing something, or has everybody been going to the Pleasure Island bars behind my back again?

#27 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: Pleasure Island was sooo yesterday. I'm pretty sure you mean the Hyperion Wharf. That's where all the cool kids hang.

#28 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@FalconPuuunch said:

THE BOOKS. DUNUNUN.

Disney didn't start the trend, though. Way before the release of Snow White, the published fairy tale books have already altered the stories to cater to a younger audience. Disney only took from those books though I have to say they did the same method/alteration themselves on some of their newer movies.

#29 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@FalconPuuunch said:

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: Pleasure Island was sooo yesterday. I'm pretty sure you mean the Hyperion Wharf. That's where all the cool kids hang.

Since Disney owns Marvel, I would love to see Squadron Supreme in the Hyperion Wharf. LOL!

#30 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@FalconPuuunch said:

Actually, I think I was referring back to Bioshock. Then again I am addicted to that series like it's weed.

Subject Omega's my homey. Nobody can be as sassy as him.

#31 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

I want this to happen solely for the reaction it will invoke.

#32 Posted by Inner_Demon (1602 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney's got some of the savviest marketing folks you're ever going to find. When and if they make such a film will be dependent on public opinion of the issue. Right now, this is still a "hot button" issue for a lot of people, so I doubt they're going to touch it. Remember, at the end of the day, the folks at Disney are like any other company: they want to make a profit, and as such, they're going to go with whatever they can get an overwhelming majority of people to watch. Touching upon such a divisive issue just wouldn't be seen as profitable, since you'd be turning off a lot of potential customers. I'm not endorsing this approach, mind you, but it's the way such entities tend to think and operate.