• 186 results
#1 Edited by Wolfrazer (6765 posts) - - Show Bio

I have looked around on the Vine, looking at old...old posts and noticed some say that boxing is not great in actual fights when it is someones life on the line. But...I want more recent views/opinions on this, so how effective is straight up boxing in a real life or death fight?

#2 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Not effective. The best thing to do is bite someone's ear off.

Sincerely,

#3 Edited by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

It teaches you how to take a punch if nothing else.

#4 Posted by ARMIV2 (8550 posts) - - Show Bio

It can help, but in a life or death type fight where anything goes, just sticking to boxing probably won't help you unless you get in those hits first and hard enough.

#5 Posted by JediXMan (30650 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends. The problem is that a lot of fights end up on the ground, which is where a boxer will have difficulty. On the other hand, knowing how to take a hit and how to throw an even better punch could end the fight.

But a boxer will certainly do better against most people than a non-boxer. So it's not the worst thing in the world.

#6 Edited by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: that's why I never understood why anyone would diss a fighting style. It beats sitting on your butt at the VERY least.

#7 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Fighting Dirty is the most effective fighting technique. Learn from the best.

#8 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Boxing is useful if you know what you are doing but it is limited and should be mixed up with other stuff in actual fights.

Most idiots however don't know how to fight, but think Boxing looks easy... unfortunately they don't know the mechanics or how to do it so their getting in a boxing stance doesn't do them any good because they don't box correctly.

#9 Edited by Nelomaxwell (10504 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken said:

Boxing is useful if you know what you are doing but it is limited and should be mixed up with other stuff in actual fights.

Most idiots however don't know how to fight, but think Boxing looks easy... unfortunately they don't know the mechanics or how to do it so their getting in a boxing stance doesn't do them any good because they don't box correctly.

This. It should also be noted that any fighting style can prove effective if used correctly so no one style can be said to be the best. I'd say add things like Bruce Lee did to Jeet Kun Do. Unless of course the person has a gun then I'd say get out of there if you can.

#10 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Boxing is good for street fighting as a base. You can protect yourself , give angles to dodge and deflect punches and deliver a good hard punch and really hurt your enemy or get in close enough to grab them and slam the shit out of them on the concrete.

#11 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Not very useful. Boxers are trained to fight against other boxers. It's a sport. You don't have time to think or plan when you get into a fight. The most it'll do for you is help you block a few punches, but it doesn't really help at all when your opponent goes outside of the boxing rules (kicking, weapons, etc.)

I had a friend who had 5 years of boxing on his belt. Not once has he ever thought it would help him in a street fight. I trained in kick-boxing, but I would never depend on it in a fight.

#12 Edited by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

It's better than street fighting. Anybody saying otherwise is being ridiculous.

A trained figher (who can still go outside the confines of their combat/martial art style)

Vs

An untrained combatant?

Apply common sense.

#13 Edited by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

I had a friend who had 5 years of boxing on his belt. Not once has he ever thought it would help him in a street fight.

He must have been the worlds sh!test boxer lmfao

#14 Edited by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, even Jet Li said his weapon of choice is a smile. Meaning he'd rather avoid fighting if possible.

#15 Posted by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17499 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty useful. If you ignore the rules, obviously. Much better than nothing..

#17 Posted by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

It teaches you the most practical form of striking. Of courses it's useful. Is it sufficient on its own? Of course not. Just as BJJ is not sufficient on its own. But it still is useful, ain't it?

#20 Posted by Rossnrachel4ever (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Boxing is one of the most effective combat "styles" out there. The key to being a competent fighter is fighting a lot and that's all boxers do. Boxing teaches you timing, conditions your body to take abuse, stamina to keep going, and it prepares you mentally for a fight. That means keeping calm and keeping your heart rate low. Most martial arts are a bunch of hokum. The only ones worth anything are the ones that are based around sparring and real world training like boxing, wrestling, judo, kyokushinkai karate, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Sambo, and Brazilian jiu jitsu. Of course it all comes down to the individual, but I wouldn't want to fight a boxer.

#21 Posted by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: right, but that's what my car door locks are for.

#22 Posted by Chibio (920 posts) - - Show Bio

Boxing is very good in a fight. It teaches you how to protect your head, also good head movement and most importantly how to strike effectivly. But wrestling is superior, because you can control the fight better. If you want to take it to the next level and really know how to defend yourself, then wrestling and brasilian jiu jitsu are the way to go. You can dominate bigger opponents thanks to brasilian jiu jitsu, because if you know what you're doing you will choke them out or even break their limbs.

#23 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio: Both wrestling and BJJ are very good "styles" but they are still, in a sense, incomplete. They are still just takedowns/grappling/submissions. Only cross-training will give you the edge in versatility. Of course, systems like JKD, Krav, Kajukenbo, etc., granted they're not mcdojos, can already give you most of what you need in striking, clinching, trapping, grappling, mentality, etc., that would be helpful in real-life self defence.

#24 Posted by i_like_swords (14549 posts) - - Show Bio

Not effective. The best thing to do is bite someone's ear off.

Sincerely,

Sly dig at Mike Tyson there..

In regards to the thread -- boxing is good for a few things. It teaches you how to punch effectively, how to deal with being hit and minimize damage, how to block and evade punches, and there's also nothing more beneficial than a boxing workout.

However, relying solely on boxing in a street fight will only take you so far. If you come up against a skilled mixed martial artist then he's going to have a massive advantage in versatility. He can kick, grapple, choke.. while all you can do is rely on punching and blocking.

So, while boxing is your foundation for being a balanced fighter, and how to throw a good punch, you cannot rely on just that.

#25 Posted by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly. If fighting styles were bad, why would people practice them? I feel that a mix of styles complement each other well.

#26 Edited by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Actual boxing is one of the most Practical and in a brawl should mostly prove victorious. Martial arts need a long time to perfect, and you also have to get rid of some instincts / reflexes you would have without to succeed in those martial arts. But with those insticts even if you didn't know how to fight at all, you could still be mediocre at it by default. The thing is, when you start a martial art you need to let go of most of the things you know and start new, perhaps becoming even a worse fighter than before at first. This gradually continues until you got the basics nailed, and once you reach say blue / brown / black belt'ish you should be severely better at fighting than you were before, and a random encounter with a boxer should prove less of a problem then than before.

The thing about boxing is that its simpler to apply and faster to learn, of course when you perfect it with the footsteps, breathing and ducks you can be unbeatable (Unless Eddie Gordo comes along). You can become a master at boxing way faster than you could at most other martial arts.

#27 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (5646 posts) - - Show Bio

Useful. If you know how to use it. Still better than nothing.

#28 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: No. The reason why he wouldn't depend on it is because he's not a shit fighter. Street fights get dirty and out of hand. I personally wouldn't get into a fight, but if I did, I would resort to just about anything. Your delicate parts would definitely meet my shoe.

#29 Posted by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: If he had gained nothing in five years he's the worst boxer I've ever heard of in my life.

#30 Posted by OptimusPalm (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

Boxers are probably the fighters with the most stamina and durability.

#31 Posted by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

That's fighter specific.

#32 Posted by OptimusPalm (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@optimuspalm said:

That's fighter specific.

...and stamina and durability help a lot in a random street fight. Not sure what you're getting at...

#33 Edited by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

@optimuspalm: Boxers are not some magical stamina and durability race, you said "probably the fighters with the most stamina and durability", that's not true. It's down to how the individual trains.

#34 Edited by OptimusPalm (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@optimuspalm: Boxers are not some magical stamina and durability race, you said "probably the fighters with the most stamina and durability", that's not true. It's down to how the individual trains.

Hmmm do you always take things so literally on the internet? Would it help if i used the term 'in general'? To me its pretty damn obvious that's what I meant.

Boxing has some of the most gruelling training (outside of the military), and Boxers take more hits than most other fighting styles.

Two facts for you to take apart if you so wish.

And you do realise that if a sentence starts with the word 'probably', it cant actually be true or false. That's writer specific...

#35 Edited by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

@optimuspalm: If you meant in general say that...And taking "punches" in real life gets you knocked out and beat down. Could lul'them into a false sense of durability.

#36 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

It also depends on what the level of aggression is and how much damage you want to do and how much respect you want afterwards.

If you're just doing a glorified spar which is what most of the scenarios you think of when you're fighting... Boxing is excellent, Social rules pretty much imply boxing rules. A few kicks, but nothing that impressive is ever thrown in that.

If you are talking about someone just coming at you mad and pounding you, the only thing that boxing is going to do for you is if you can get a guard up, before you're on the ground on your back. For that you probably want BJJ.

In violent but not angry situation...bar brawls. It will help you because most of weapons aren't too dangerous in the hands of untrained fighters and boxing guard is great.

In all of these things, this is your average thing that most people will be involved in if anything and Boxing is useful, because you're not really trying to hurt someone and it more about shows of strength or letting off steam than doing real harm.

If it's life threatening or something like that. It's a strong base, but if you need to subdue someone and you don't care about how much pain they are going to feel. Form really all that important all you really want to be doing is hitting eyes, nose, ears, crotch, throat, and foot stomping, repeatedly... Hit these spots quickly and hard, disabling your opponent, if you can grab their weapon or whatever, but if you can't leave it alone, and then bolt, and remember don't run straight. Zig Zag.

If you're being more offensive and trying to subdue the person BJJ and Boxing are more or less worthless, especially in a military situation because BJJ submission style fighting leaves you open. In this case most effective is Krav Maga, Akido, and pressure point / joint locking fighting, but you need other stuff to fill in holes and generally speaking fighting without a personal style philosophy. You'd fill that in with JKD, Judo, other such martial arts.

Akido is designed specifically for breaking, debilitating, or killing, but from my understanding it's not a big straight fighting style. Krav Maga is a combined style that is more in close fighting. JKD is more of a philosophy which teaches you how to think about fighting, rather than specific fighting techniques. All of this can benefit from boxing because Boxing is base level understanding of using your body to attack and for absorbing attacks...

Basics are great and they can win against the average person, but if that is all you are relying on well, every other style has some form of it, just not the concentrated understanding of those core mechanics. Other styles generally teach through katas that teach your body what to do, but doesn't teach you why it works so you can't refine it well just based on that.

Also, I would actually look more into kick boxing and muy thai rather than straight boxing if you're looking for street fighting, because it teaches you to use your legs, knees, and elbows as well.

#37 Posted by Rossnrachel4ever (82 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't be a boxer without increasing your stamina and durability. Boxing training is focused around these things more than most combat systems.

#38 Edited by OptimusPalm (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@optimuspalm: If you meant in general say that...And taking "punches" in real life gets you knocked out and beat down. Could lul'them into a false sense of durability.

I'll say it if I feel the need to, thanks.

Yes it could, but as a boxer they would probably stand more chance of tanking it. As a boxer you stand more chance of knowing just what you can take and what you cant.

You realise I could call your last post BS because you claim getting punched always gets you knocked out and beat down. Well i dont know what happens in the fights you're involved in, but i havent been knocked down, or out, every time.

I could call your last post BS, but i'm not petty :D

EDIT: goshdarn it i forgot to add the words 'in general' again

#39 Posted by MonsterStomp (18134 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are people saying it's not useful? Boxers have mad endurance and their build is specifically designed to dish out f**king heavy hits. On top of that, their reflexes and anticipation is that much better than a normal street fighter by far. FAR. Fights won't end up on the ground if you KO your opponent before they get a punch out.

#40 Edited by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

@optimuspalm: LOL How many times have you been punched in the face by a full forced boxer?

#41 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

Boxing can help you a lot if you start a fight with someone or someone wants to beat you up.Boxing and kickboxing teach you how to hit properly and in the places that hurt the most and how you can defend yourselves from a punch.I have been training kick boxing for a year now and it has helped me once or twice in a difficult situation but the main problem in street fights is that they may end up on the ground.And if you are on the ground you just have to defend yourself or hit with full power the other guy.

#42 Edited by mikethekiller (8412 posts) - - Show Bio

Boxing teaches a lot of good things like footwork, how to throw and take a punch, timing, as well as proper defensive skills. All of that means jack sh** if you end up on the ground though.

#43 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: People say "KO" as if it's easy to do. Knocking someone out is actually quite hard to do and is caused by hitting a specific spot. You are more likely to get a concussion or die than you are to knock someone out if you don't know what you're doing with the amount of force behind boxing punches.

#44 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (24981 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

It's better than street fighting. Anybody saying otherwise is being ridiculous.

A trained figher (who can still go outside the confines of their combat/martial art style)

Vs

An untrained combatant?

Apply common sense.

This. So much this.

#45 Posted by MonsterStomp (18134 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken: Just hit the jaw on an angle, they aren't getting back up.

#46 Posted by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken said:

@monsterstomp: People say "KO" as if it's easy to do. Knocking someone out is actually quite hard to do and is caused by hitting a specific spot. You are more likely to get a concussion or die than you are to knock someone out if you don't know what you're doing with the amount of force behind boxing punches.

That's not true. Hitting somebody enough times in the face repeatedly suffices.

#47 Edited by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

I love all of the bravado talk trying to act like people know what they'are talking about when I bet 99% of the people talking here have never even hit a punch bag let alone partaken in a martial art, or combat style.

#48 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken said:

You can knock someone out if you hit him in the lower part of the chin on the sides with enough power but of course if you don't hit him properly you can break his jaw instead of knocking him out.But you can also hit him a couple of times in the face with a lot of power and he will be out quicklier than you think.

#49 Posted by OptimusPalm (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@optimuspalm: LOL How many times have you been punched in the face by a full forced boxer?

LMAO what does that have to do with anything. Its clear (from other posters) that what I initially suggested is fairly true. I'm guessing you got butthurt about being proved wrong and are now trying to belittle every single post of mine.

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't mind try-hard trolls doing that sort of thing, its easy to get one up on them (and we're on what, 3 now?)

#50 Edited by Pyrogram (38582 posts) - - Show Bio

@optimuspalm: You're talking from your ass dude, no experience. That's what I'm getting at. You're talking from nothing other than your armchair. You proved me wrong in NO ways - What did you even prove me "wrong in" when this is all opinion based?

And other posters don't know what they are talking about, half are probably 15 year old's who have never lifted a finger in a fight.