#1 Posted by SavageBeast (330 posts) - - Show Bio

ALSO, Does PIS contribute to the Overratedness of a character?

Example: Batman, the GOD OF PIS. 

#2 Posted by 8bitGangsta (392 posts) - - Show Bio

By being superman

#3 Posted by jhazzroucher (14729 posts) - - Show Bio

when the character is showing up on multiple books i guess.

#4 Posted by Inverno (13043 posts) - - Show Bio

@jhazzroucher said:

I think Wolverine qualifies...

#5 Posted by Pokeysteve (7908 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd bet that more people read wikis than the actual comic. That's how stuff like "Hulk lifted 150 billion tons" or "Hulk is the strongest there is". People who haven't read those books or don't know someone who did doesn't know they are both untrue. Then they spread the information to their friends and it snow balls.

#6 Edited by AssertingValor (5377 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

@jhazzroucher said:

when people think hulk stans a chance against superman level beings

#7 Posted by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio

When the fans and writers make a character win in circumstances where they simply shouldn't.

#8 Edited by No_Trolling (653 posts) - - Show Bio

@8bitGangsta said:

By being superman
#9 Posted by jhazzroucher (14729 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

@jhazzroucher said:

not really just showing up on multiple books but having a major role or having a lot of panels.

#10 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

Popularity in non-comic book readers public + Fanboyism in comic-book public.

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24463 posts) - - Show Bio

pretty much by not being liked by someone on the internet despite being popular

#12 Posted by terry2012 (4757 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve:

@JediXMan:

@LordMaverick: This

#13 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

When the fans and writers make a character win in circumstances where they simply shouldn't.

And we got a winner...

#14 Posted by superstay (9623 posts) - - Show Bio

@SavageBeast:

Squirrel Girl is more "God of PIS" worthy than the Batfactor. d-_-b

#15 Posted by SC (12508 posts) - - Show Bio

When a characters popularity is a contributing factor to their popularity. As in people start to like a character for being popular rather than liking the character for what they actually are. Its a way to conforming to popular view, and creates an appreciation for things that aren't necessarily things worth actually appreciating. Thus naturally more popular characters tend to be more overrated. It can be difficult because your dealing with peoples perceptions and sometimes people don't realize that they like something just because others do, because such things can occur naturally without much consideration or thinking. This is also why many things that are overrated can be underrated.   

#16 Posted by SavageBeast (330 posts) - - Show Bio

YES, these are the answers I have been looking for. 

#17 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

When many many people like a character to the point that they disregard anything negative about that character.

#18 Posted by TheCannon (17839 posts) - - Show Bio

Fanboys.

#19 Posted by icysloth (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

I find zoom to be the most overrated character on this board and I read Flash. I think its a defined powerset issue with him (if he can slow down time he must be able to move faster than anyone is just not true, we have seen timetrapper get blitzed), another defined powerset would be Dr. Manhattan. I think in a lot of other cases its a longevity issue, when a character like thor has been around since the 1960's and has consistent powerups and downs people lose a basis and start pulling out feats from Jack Kirbeys run to make their point and thats crap.

#20 Posted by Agent9149 (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

When the writers have them winning in the most ridiculous situations and makes him seem uberpowerful, (super boy prime)

or the character seems to be really powerful but doesn't have the feats to back that up (dr. manhattan)

#21 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

Bravado

#22 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Its personal opinion. If a character has a lot of fans and is reviewed well but someone doesn't like that character, they view them as over-rated. For instance I find Batman boring but many people don't so to me, he is over-rated.

#23 Posted by PowerHerc (80707 posts) - - Show Bio

When a character is shown consistently/continually performing feats or defeating foes too far out of their league.

That's when they become overrated.

#24 Posted by Lord_Moldemvort (144 posts) - - Show Bio

when a character falls victim to PIS- no, not plot induced stupidity (well that too), but rather POPULARITY induced stupidity. they start doing things unreasonable for their power level for the sake of sales and plot

like this guy:

#25 Posted by Protin (53 posts) - - Show Bio

How does a character become overrated? By being the Hulk

This pathetic excuse for a character has GREATLY reduced the quality of Marvel with his crap and annoying fan boys. Probably Stan Lee's biggest mistake ever

#26 Posted by The_Roman (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

When people start pulling statements out of their a$$, despite the fact that the character has no feats to even put them near that level.

Alternatively, by being Batman, Superman, Hulk, etc.

#27 Edited by Wolfrazer (5939 posts) - - Show Bio
@Protin said:

How does a character become overrated? By being the Hulk

This pathetic excuse for a character has GREATLY reduced the quality of Marvel with his crap and annoying fan boys. Probably Stan Lee's biggest mistake ever

Danger, danger, prepare for flames! But how so I wonder? Unless its the "rage getting stronger and stronger" thing, then I can't really think of anything else. In fact, a slight off topic question...but is the Hulk only the strongest because of his anger increasing his strength?
#28 Posted by Protin (53 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer: I don't have much to worry about, most people here would probably agree with me anyways

I say this about him for a number of things, really. The ridiculous and most over hyped ability to constantly get stronger is one, along with him being the definition of PIS, bad writing, boring, popularity based writing, and writers basically doing anything they can to make him look good for the sake of his fan boys, who add icing on the cake of an overall lame character

Yeah, the Hulk is only really considered the "strongest there is" due to his anger. There are countless characters who have a higher base strength than him

#29 Posted by Wolfrazer (5939 posts) - - Show Bio
@Protin:  K I figured, after giving some thought about another char and his feats so just wanted to be sure it was just because of that reason.
#30 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (22877 posts) - - Show Bio

When I say so :D